Key Program, Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with very nice and helpful staff
Therapeutic Mentor (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MAMarch 3, 2018
Great place to work. Very helpful and nice management, great staff overall, very flexible work hours. I have learned a lot from my experience through continuous and rich training.
March 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Key Program. We hope that you can take what you have learned as a Therapeutic Mentor to enhance your human service career. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

productive, relaxed with a bit of spice to it!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 13, 2017
I loved working for Key! Amazing company and amazing people.

A typical day at work is greeting amazing faces, notifying clinicians when their clients have arrived.

I learned how to verify Insurance, how to use Microsoft Excel.

Management was superb! Could not have asked for a better boss!

Workplace culture is very much alive. So many different people with interesting backgrounds! Amazing vibes.

The hardest part of the job is leaving.

The most enjoyable part of the job is everyone makes you feel welcome!
Pros
Lunch time is when you decide it is lunch time
March 22, 2018

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your position at Key. We wish you great success as you pursue your career goals.

KEYProgram
Overnight shift worker (Current Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 18, 2017
I like key if I had a choice I would stay with them long term but they only provide an 18 month temporary position unless your are able to move to a permanent position
Pros
great pay, tuition reimbursment
Cons
18 month position
March 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the Key Program. We thank you for providing safety and security to the clients our care during the night time hours. The Overnight Awake Shiftworker position is a very important position and an integral part of the program team. We hope that the skills you've gained and the trainings you have participated in at Key will position you to advance in your career. We wish you the very best of luck as you pursue new experiences.

everyone leaves
ONA (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 17, 2017
They like to work employees like animals. The schedule will change at any moment even hours before you go in. THEY NEVER TELL YOU but they expect you to request time off a month in advance, which isnt promises because they run it like highschool if someone has been there longer also request the same day, you would most likely be denied because of "Seniority"which you dont learn about till its to late. Its decent money, I was told if i didnt like my job find another.
Pros
Decent money
November 30, 2017

Thank you for your comments on your experience at the Key Program. It appears that your specific request for a night-off was not granted and I am sorry that happened. Having weekly days-off, vacation, or a random personal day-off is necessary for the well-being of all our employees. Key’s personnel policy requires a one month notification for vacation time or at least some notification before the Program Supervisor prepares the monthly staff schedule. Supervisors strive to be fair and to accommodate everyone, but sometimes not every time-off request can be granted. Like a hospital, Key is never closed…our clients are with us 24/7; therefore, Key employees are flexible and dedicated to ensure a safe and therapeutic program environment for our clients…and for each other. We do wish you success in your future endeavors.

Poor Communication
Overnight Awake Shift Worker (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJuly 16, 2017
There was poor communication between management and staff, and no recognition for work well-done. Management was not supportive of staff, with staff often being over-worked with no thanks in return. The best part of the job was the clients you get to work with. While tough at times, clients were a delight to work with and I miss them very much.
Pros
Working with the clients
Cons
poor communication, no support
September 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at Key. Working the third shift can be challenging; especially when waking the youth and motivating them to get up and prepare themselves for school. It appears that you had a good relationship with the youth and that you enjoyed working with
and caring for them. I'm sorry that you did not feel a connection with your supervisory team and felt there was a lack of support. I will forward your comments to our management team for review. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Horrible experience
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 20, 2017
I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. Upper management did not respect the case workers at all. We would have "meetings" but they didn't leave much room to voice your opinions. THE KEY PROGRAM NEEDS COMPANY VEHICLES. You have to use your own vehicle to drive to places like Boston. Upon hire, i was informed I would have to drive to greenfield/Pittsfield once a month. However, some weeks I was made to drive there three times a week. The clients are cool although they have minor issues. but the staff, especially at the state street office, are rude and inconsiderate. Also too many cliques and my supervisor in Springfield was incompetent.
Pros
Learning about the clients
Cons
Cliques, upper management, state st office, use of personal vehicle for long drives, forcing caseworkers to drive to Boston
September 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at the Key Program. I'm sorry to learn that you did not have an overall satisfactory experience. In regard to voicing your opinion, there are several structured and professional forums for staff to express themselves and have discussions with supervisory staff. Specifically, in their one-on-one supervision meetings with their Program Supervisor. There is also an on-call supervisor available 24/7 who is there to support both staff and clients who would welcome feedback from staff. It is made clear in the interview that Key operates as a "team" and if one program is in need of more support for the safety of all, any Key staff member would be ready, willing and able to support their teammates; and they would expect the same in return when their program is in need of additional support. By supporting and working in other programs, staff are given an opportunity to expand their knowledge and experience by learning a variety of different program models and to work with different client populations. It is also made clear in the interview process that a condition of employment is to have a legal registered and insured vehicle for work use. An important part of Key's services is to provide transportation for our clients to and from school, to medical appointments, to home visits, to recreational activities, etc. Staff are paid for their transport/travel time and receive mileage reimbursement at 40 cents per mile for any transportation or travel they do on behalf of Key. Any additional mileage reimbursement  more... allowance, by MA law, may be claimed on personal income taxes. On a positive note, it appears that you did enjoy working with and learning about our client population. I hope that you have been able to take what you learned at Key to advance yourself in another position within the human service field. We wish you success in your career.  less

High stress environment with ethical concerns
Residential Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 20, 2017
Facilities have a high staff turnover rate. Work environment is very stressful, with little staff support. Staff are not adequately trained or supervised enough in order to provide quality care to the vulnerable client population.
March 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at the Key Program. Working with troubled teens is not an easy job and it can be stressful. It takes some time, patience and commitment from staff to engage in Key's extensive training program and to learn the many new skill competencies to learn that will help them become more effective Residential Caseworkers. I'm sorry that Key was not a match for your and we wish you the best in your future work experiences.

Good place to start a career with many opportunities for advancement
Assistant Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 26, 2016
Key is a good place to begin a career in the human services field. Key offers great experiences with many opportunities for collaterals contacts and advancement,
Pros
Great benefits, plenty of hours
Cons
Not much of a work/life balance, inconsistent work schedule
January 5, 2017

Thank you for commenting about your employment experience at Key. Key is a stepping stone for many of our employees who are looking for entry-level direct care experience, supervisory experience or clinical experience. Key is committed to the professional growth and development of every employee and we value lifelong learners of human services. Thank you very much for your dedication, every day, in order to make a real difference in the life of children and youth.

Very demanding schedule great field experieence
Residential worker and supervisor (Former Employee) –  Methuen MADecember 17, 2016
I worked at a few different positions at Key. I found the schedule demanding at each position but I also knew where to find support when I needed it access to good training quality systems in place for managing troubled kids and families with very difficult behaviors
Pros
Good training and good teamwork
January 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your work experience at the Key Program. We acknowledge the hard work and sacrifices made by all our staff, both individually and as a team, so they can make the greatest difference in the lives of the children they work with each day. Thank you for your hard work, your dedication to the clients, and your commitment to your team. Teamwork is vital to our mission. We hope that the direct, hands-on experience, training, supervision and guidance you received at the Key Program has provided you with upward mobility as you pursue your career. On behalf of Key, we wish you great success.

great place to work
Residential Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 14, 2016
The schedule includes nights and weekends; though I consistently received two days in a row off. I learned a ton about the kids and the 'system' and learned a great deal about how to deal with children with a variety of emotional and behavioral issues. There's tons of support and development around professional writing.

The are some really good days where it doesn't even feel like a job and there are also some really difficult and stressful days; however I also found that there were supportive people in the program to help during the hardest times.
January 5, 2017

Thank you for your comments about your experience at the Key Program. We strive to have as many good days as possible, but during those "stressful days," my guess is that you learned a whole different set of skills and strategies that helped you build confidence to successfully manage crisis situations and to safely diffuse difficult client behavior. We hope that the hands-on experience, support and training that you received at Key has positioned you for a different experience and position in the human service field. We wish you the best of luck as you pursue your career.

The hardest and most rewarding job I've ever loved...
Residential Clinician (Current Employee) –  Methuen, MADecember 10, 2016
Key is an awesome place to make a difference in the lives of youth who have experienced significant struggles in their young lives. Working as part of this team continues to be an amazing experience for me... Every one of my team members is hard working and dedicated to the kids and to each other. The Key Program sets their standards high because our young clients deserve our best! I am proud to be part of this agency and this very dedicated team of professionals...
Pros
Amazing "team" environment -
Cons
Sometimes the hours can be long....
January 5, 2017

Thank you for your kind words regarding your experience working at the Key Program. Teamwork is a critical part of a program's success because it really does 'take a village' to provide the support and treatment our children and youth need, each day. Yes, "sometimes the hours can be long," especially if we have a child/youth/family who is in crisis; so Key encourage all our staff to use their days-off and benefit-time for their own self-care and rejuvenation. Thank you for your commitment, dedication, and time that you give to help improve the lives of Key kids and families.

Human Services is meant to be about all humans.
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Methuen maSeptember 19, 2016
Miserable regional management that does not see the human in individual employees.

The clients are great and enjoyable to work with. A lot can be learned by interacting and engaging with them.

Each employee is expendable. I poured so much energy into the program and clients while the majority of shift supervisors stay behind locked doors gossiping and using social media. They hated me for wanting to engage with the clients and I was eventually pressured to leave.

The Office Manager is beyond meticulous and many staff wait weeks or months to receive reimbursements from money spent on the clients.
Pros
Free grilled cheese daily
Cons
Regional office out of touch with modern realities of human service field
September 21, 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Key Program. It is acknowledged that you have expressed your dissatisfaction because you feel the work and attention you provided to the clients went unrecognized by your supervisory team. However, the entry-level Residential Caseworker's primary role is that of a frontline staff member who spends their shift professionally engaging with the clients, who are in need of constant supervision. Shift supervisors have other and different responsibilities that warrant them to meet together regularly to tend to other program and regional-wide matters; while the team of Caseworkers is responsible to engage with and supervise the clients in the program. In regard to reimbursement, direct care staff are not allowed to make any unauthorized purchases on the behalf of our clients. Each program has a petty cash for client needs; and any purchases are to first be approved by a Program Supervisor. For mileage reimbursement, there is a timeframe to submit documentation that coincides with Key's every-other- week "automated" payroll schedule. If the staff is not timely with his/her reimbursement documentation, their reimbursement payment will be delayed. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Good purpose for the children, very poor training and employee support.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chestnut St., Springdield, MAMay 3, 2016
Expectations are beyond achieving. Very little training and hours expected to work are brutal. Most of my training as a new Program Supervisor came via email. Brand new to the company and expected to count in ratio after a week with no assistant program supervisor and short 4 staff. Most of my responsibilities were assigned via email and I was instructed to "follow the format" with no one to one explanation. A mandatory 45 hour a week schedule on salary turned into 60+ hours a week. One day worked 15 hours with no one to relieve me for a break. Another day was alone in the program for 6 hours with a run watch that couldn't be farther than 5 feet and in constant eye contact. The client was not allowed I. The kitchen, so preparing meals was impossible. Going to the bathroom for myself was not even an option. Inpatient level of clients with outpatient structure. Assaults on staff daily. I was forced to do restraints before I was CPI certified and left alone with clients without CPR certification. Bad experience and working environment.
May 19, 2016

Thank you for your review of the Key Program. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience. Your comments will be shared with Key's management team for review.

May 9, 2016

Thank you for commenting about your experience at the Key Program. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience and it appears that you did not feel supported. Your comments have been shared with the regional management team for review and discussion. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Great place & Great people
Billing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 27, 2016
Working at Children's Charter- A division of Key, has definitely been a one of a kind experience. The management as well as co-workers are all around very respectful and supportive. It truly has felt like a family. This place has many great qualities, one that remains attractive & stand out, is the capability of continuously learning and amassing great knowledge from your colleagues. I truly can say that I've had a great experience and hope the same for everyone else.
Pros
Opportunity to learn, Supportive colleagues
Cons
N/A at the moment.
May 9, 2016

It was very kind of you to share your experience about working at Children's Charter Trauma Clinic, a division of the Key Program, Inc. Thank you!

July 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at Children's Charter Trauma Clinic, a Division of the Key Program. We wish the very best in your future endeavors.

Nice people but job requirements were unrealistic
Associate (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 31, 2016
Nice people and the program itself does serve the community well. Unfortunately the job description changed at point of hire and included things that were not in the original job description online. Make sure you are fully aware of what is expected before you accept.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Inadequate training
May 9, 2016

Thank you for your kind words about Key employees and the good work they do with children, youth and families. In response to your comment about the "job description change," the job responsibilities noted on our on-line job postings are not all-inclusive; but are meant to provide a sampling of what the position entails. A full job description for any position is available to applicants during the interview process; and the same is signed by the new employee on his/her first day of hire. We wish you the best as you continue in your career.

Great place to work, gain great experience
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAFebruary 27, 2016
Key program is a great place to work for. You gain great experience and get to work with great kids while doing it. I highly recommend this job to everyone looking for a position in this field.
Pros
Great environment, kids, co-workers, experience
Cons
N/a
May 9, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to express your positive comments about your experience while working at the Key Program. Thank you for all your hard work and your commitment to support the children, youth and families that you worked with at Key. We wish you the best as you continue your career.

Great place to learn entry-level skills for the field but horrible management and overall job expectations
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 23, 2015
Unrealistic expectations placed on staff. Hard work and dedication go unnoticed. You, no matter your position, are expendable.
December 7, 2015

Thank you for your comments about your employment at the Key Program. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience and it appears from your comments that you did not feel appreciated by the agency. As a Supervisor at Key, we hope that you felt a sense of achievement with the work you did to train and develop your staff team and that you had felt a sense of satisfaction with the work that you did to help the kids and families that you worked with at Key. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Great place to work!
shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 16, 2015
It was a great way to step into the human resource field. After KEY I became a social worker working with children in intensive foster care. I would recommend anyone going into social work start at a residential program. Working at Key gave me the tools and life experience to be an effective social worker.
Key also has several opportunities for advancement. They recognize hard work ethic and the ability to handle difficulty situations. They are willing to teach all staff to write effective treatment plans and develop as a professional.
Looking back at my experience at Key is extremely positive. The people I met while working there I am still in touch with today. Seeing the children daily gave me a better understanding of what they were going through moving through the system.
Pros
professional experience
Cons
stress
December 7, 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your experience at the Key Program. We wish you great success in your career.

Awful place to work
Residential Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, MAOctober 13, 2015
Between the stress of the actual job as a residential case worker and the hectic work schedule. I would never recommend this company to anyone. The clients are terrible and you will never have a personal life outside of work. Glorified baby sitter would be a more appropriate job title for this position. The pay is not enough to be at risk for physical harm. Clients maintain a hostile attitude towards staff and have never had a problem engaging in physical altercations with any staff member.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your comments about your employment with the Key Program and I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. You are correct that working in the human service field is challenging and demanding work. At Key, we work with behaviorally challenged children and youth who have suffered multiple traumatic events throughout their short lives. Unfortunately, when feeling stressed, a child or youth may express his/her emotions by using aggressive behavior. At that time, first it is our responsibility to keep the child safe; and then it is our responsibility to work with the child to teach him safer and healthier ways to communicate his feelings or needs. All of Key employees receive a certification in crisis intervention through the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) by participating in a 16-hour training to learn and practice de-escalation and crisis intervention techniques. Further, Key offers additional crisis intervention-related trainings such as Trauma Informed Care, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Limit Setting, Avoiding Power Struggles, Professional Boundaries, and Relationship Building with Clients. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Made great friends
Residential Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Methuen, MAOctober 5, 2015
Key is a great place to build friendships with co workers, but its not a very safe place to work. Management doesn't really provide support in troubling situations.
November 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience as an employee of the Key Program. I would agree with you that Key is a great place to build friendships with co-workers and I know that happens because Residential Workers form excellent teams that provide quality care, treatment and a safe living environment for the children/youth. Safety of our clients and staff is of the utmost importance to Key. Key mandates numerous trainings for all employees including a 16-hour Crisis Intervention Certification, the Human Service Worker Safety training, Residential Safety, Personal Protection Plans, Home Visit and Community Safety, etc. Further, in every program location, there is a Program Supervisor, an Assistant Program Supervisor, a Shift Supervisor, or a Night Shift Manager present to provide support. Also every night, there is an active On-Call Supervisor who is available to staff to assist with any situation or for consultation. We wish you the best of luck as you pursue your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Key Program, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss