Keystone Human Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
i dont know
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  wilkesberre paJuly 6, 2018
good place to work. good people to work for. you get paid time off. clients are amazing. lots of things to do with them. hardest part is keeping your cool on a bad day.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
working alot of hours
Pros and Cons
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PAJune 20, 2018
There are pros and cons. Sometimes you get managers who know what they're doing, sometimes you don't. Pay isn't great, but work day is flexible. Work is rewarding and can be challenging. A good team approach to most situations within the job.
Pros
flexible hours, relaxed environment, free to self-expression
Cons
no official breaks or lunches, pay could be better, benefits could be better
Keystone is an excellent place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  DelawareJune 17, 2018
- My typical days at Keystone is always wonderful
- every day that i go to work, I learned different behaviors from
individual and how to manage them.
- Management from top to bottom listen to DSPs
- workplace culture at Keystone is very excellent
- The hardest part of my job, but again not really hard, is where an
individual have a behavior, but because i m trained to deal it does
not really move me.
- The enjoyable part of my job is where I provide those support that
contribute to the daily living of my individuals whom i support
Good working environment
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 15, 2018
I have worked at two other agencies in the area and Keystone is my favorite so far. Management is appreciative and really listens. There have been a lot of positive changes in the last 6 months. A lot of supervisory positions were added, which really helps the direct care staff know what expectations are.

My supervisor and my director both worked in direct care positions before advancing with the company. That makes me feel good about the potential to advance and management really knows the people we support and their history.

The only downside is some of the long term employees haven't adapted to changes in the system and complain too much and don't want change. They haven't worked in other agencies for years and don't realize all providers have the same difficulties working in the current ODP system.
Pros
Flexible schedule, knowledgeable management
Cons
Longterm employees who don't want to change with the system
Ok place to be
Current member (Current Employee) –  work for keystoneJune 10, 2018
Depending on the supervisor you have you can learn a lot. Very flexible work environment which is about the only perk. You get a decent amount of vacation time but it's tough to use it. You are really overworked and underpaid for sure.
Pros
Flexibility, time off
Cons
Pay, health care
Excellent Opportunity
Rehabilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 8, 2018
I've worked with Keystone (mental health) for over 10+ years and have had the opportunity to advance in my position as I gained experience. Supervisors are supportive and eager to help you learn. Entry level pay of $12.50 is a great perk and you don't need a college degree... AND I have lots of opportunities for overtime. You do have to work evening and weekends on a rotating basis, but holidays we do get time and a half. Best part of the job is working with the people! It is a great opportunity to help people learn independent living skills and help them achieve goals they want to work on. I love working here and hard work and dedication are recognized and appreciated. Keystone has restructured several times and the goal of giving people a great place to live always remains their main goal. Schedule can be flexible...7am - 3pm, 3pm - 11pm.
Pros
The people, flexible hours, lots of training & support
Cons
Holiday work, but it does rotate and you get time and a half
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Sunbury, PAJune 5, 2018
I enjoy working here. I love my individuals. You can work as many hours as you want too. You can work as little like a casual position or full time 60 plus hours.
Pros
Work numerous hours
Cons
Advancement is slow
Love my Job
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAMay 17, 2018
I love my job. Supporting people is the most rewarding thing that you can do. The job is easy but keeps you on your toes. Sometimes it's very relaxed and other times very busy. Depending on what is going on in the people we serve lives. Newer management but a big turn around from what was here before. They offer a lot of support and training when needed. In home supervisors are helpful. Lots of paid time off. So much that it is hard to use. Very low health insurance cost.
Pros
Great job, great managment, opprotunity to grow, low health insurance cost, a lot of PTO
Cons
No annual raise, long hours
Mistreatment of residents by staff
DPS (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutMay 17, 2018
All ethical standards do not apply at the agency. Staff constantly set each other up, begin gossip and lots of drama. Staff always late, when they decide to show up. The state and ethical boards should really make an unannounced visit .
Pros
Cons
Read review
Excellent Mission
Employee (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 16, 2018
Workplace culture is focused on serving others, especially those who are de-valued by society, in order to support them in living successful and satisfying lives.
Work days vary depending on the type of job you re doing... residential, case management, finance, HR, quality, etc...
Pros
new and positive executive management in MH Services
Cons
low pay for direct services, too much expected from fee for services staffing.
It's great; if you want to spend your life there.
Sunbury - Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, PAMay 16, 2018
The individuals that are supported are fully taken care of in this company, which is most important. It's also important that staff are taking care of and appreciated as well which isn't to say about this company. I've worked for them for about 3 years and they just can't seem to get them selves to take care of their employees. You'll hear different rules from different managers, never sure what you're actually supposed to do. It seems almost no one does. Pay is good, hours are ridiculous, 70 hours a week is a normal week there cause they can't seem to keep people. Your responsibilities could be written in a 200 page book. PTO time is awesome, they give it out like candy.
if you have nothing else to do in your life besides work , then this is the job for you!
Pros
pto, overtime pay, supported individuals
Cons
Management, responsibilities, no time to yourself
Mental Health Lancaster-great program management despite staff shortage
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 14, 2018
Mental Health in Lancaster is not represented well in these reviews. MH is often looped in with ID & Autism. MH supervisors are friendly, understanding and try their best to provide a fair and stable schedule for DSP’s. Offering schedule adjustments and set scheduling is happening at residential programs. DSP positions in Lancaster are at $12.50/hr!! Lots of overtime available to those who like to earn time and a half!! Keystone MH in Lancaster is also promtes recovery by offering choice to the individuals they support! Keystone MH actually walks the walk in regards to making individuals in control of their lives with support as needed!
Pros
Promotes within, Flexibility, affordabe benefits, getting to make changes in individuals lives from the front end.
Cons
Consistent staff shortages, flat funding effects lack of annual raises
Very Stressful
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 24, 2018
The hardest part of this job was dispensing medication to the clients. I was responsible for dispensing medication to 10 clients 2-3 times a shift. Very stressful.
Pros
The experience I gained from this job
Cons
Low pay
Love the residents
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Waterford, CTApril 24, 2018
Management is very poor in my area. No respect for coworkers. Tons of favoritism. Management is like glue, if there is a problem, which there was with nursing care, they don’t care and they turn it around on the person reporting the issue. I feel sorry for the residents.
Pros
Resident care
Cons
Management.
Working with people with disabilities
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 16, 2018
Managing staff, scheduling, work load and some hands on with the residents. The best part of the day is going home after working with people with disabilities who can sometimes be very stressful. Some supervisors are hard to work for as well adding to the stress load.
A company that you feel committed to work with.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Simsbury, CTApril 16, 2018
Key Human Services is a company that gives people the opportunity to help individuals with disabilities to become independent. The PD give me the confidence to do my job and any corcern that i could have i feel free to talk to him and with any of the staff from the office as well. Very strong team work.
Get to work with people in need and help them out
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 6, 2018
Usually at Keystone, I would help people navigate the store, and help them figure out what type of food they could get, and how much they could get. While working there, I really learned a lot about helping other people out and what that does for the community. The management there was wonderful. The manager was knowledgeable and helped me out whenever I needed it. The culture is pretty relaxed, no one is trying to compete with each other because we are all there to help people out. The hardest part of the job would be working with people who didn't understand what they could and could not get, however this was still pretty easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you're helping someone else out and making their life better.
Pros
Working with wonderful people, getting to help people around your community
Cons
Not a lot to do when no one's there, could be more organized
Caring people
Community Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 1, 2018
Great environment with people that truly cared about one another which made word great. The residents were treated like family and it was very rewarding to see them.
Pros
people
Cons
pay
Keep Looking, there are better jobs out there
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAMarch 25, 2018
I couldn't wait to leave this company. I spent the better part of a month there, and wasn't even close to meeting the requirements to work there independently, and this was after having worked in this business for years. The training schedule lasts for a month or more, when it could be completed in a week. The company made promises that weren't kept, and confusion reigned supreme. Change was constant, so you couldn't be comfortable in your abilities and the workplace was filled with unprofessional staff. The pay was decent and the medical benefits were inexpensive, but beyond that, the only good thing about the job was the clients. Keep Looking!
Pros
Decent pay, cheap insurance, clientiele
Cons
Workplace environment, constant change
Dsp
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 24, 2018
I am a direct support professional at keystone human services and have been here a little over a year. This job is particularly laid back, with strict rules and guidelines provided from the state. The care of the individuals, in terms of daily living, community outings, and self care, are priority to us as staff members. Keystone provides us with reimbursement, health insurance, PTO, and other benefits as being part of the company. I would recommend this job to anyone who is in college, is older and has a lot of time, or someone who is passionate about the needs of those with intellectual disabilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Keystone Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight