Keystone Human Services Employee Reviews

Great patients and employees
Lpn (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 18, 2019
This culture must change. They are a non profit that hides funds and abuse consumers and all employees , I could write forever but your best bet is to experience this non profit for your self.
Pros
Consumers and line staff
Cons
Overall the whole working experience, seven years of disaster
Management is exemplary
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Hollidaysburg, PAJune 4, 2019
Since working for Keystone, it has been a wonderful journey. Management is very supportive, training can be a bit overwhelming, but when they have such high standards, it's par for the course. I love how well management works together and collaborates to help where needed. Some days the hours are long, but in this field it's expected. Team work is evident in the homes, and staff truly care for the individuals. I have recommended Keystone to many people because they do their best to accommodate work/life balance better than other companies do. Pay is a lot higher than most, benefits are great.
Pros
Set scheduling, pay rate, benefits, strong management
Cons
Some long hours
Good Place To Work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Blair County, PAJune 3, 2019
My experience with KHS is a great one. Lots of opportunities for growth, management that works with you as much as possible & helps pull the load of hours, and many health benefits. Some problems with lazy co-workers, could be paid more for the work, and the hours can be long if they are short-staffed; but the overtime pay is awesome. I’ve always been treated with respect at Keystone, and they’ve worked with my to make sure I get the time off I need with my child. Very happy with the job, and I have zero plans on leaving a I’ve recommended KHS to friends & family.
Pros
Competitive pay, flexible hours, kind staff, management that really cares
Cons
Short staffed months can have longer hours, could pay more
Management is absolutely terrible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAMay 27, 2019
Management sucks in the Altoona/Hollidaysburg area. They claim they will work with your schedule and allow you to have a work/life balance, but they’re lying. They won’t work any shifts at all. They truly do not care about their employees or their residents. If you work another job, forget about working here because they will not work with you at all when it comes to the schedule.
Rewarding Job, lots of OT, mediocre management
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMay 13, 2019
A typical day at work is overseeing and caring for clients with various types of IDD/Autism. This work alone is very rewarding, but how the company wants you to do things, as opposed to how you have to do things to actually better the life of the clients are 2 very different things. I don't plan to leave unless I would get the job of my dreams because of various factors such as: huge amounts of overtime available (basically this makes the job worthwhile as there is always OT somewhere in the company), 4 weeks of PTO, including paid holidays, pay is fair for how laid back the work can be and how much downtime there is to recollect yourself. Management is mediocre though, not a fault of their own, but they need to pay the managers hourly as opposed to salary, as most Direct Care Staff end up making considerably more than their program supervisors due to getting paid for OT. If you are in management, your yearly average of hours worked per week is probably 55-60. It's not really worth it for 33-34k per year to work that many hours. Benefits are great though in how good they are and how affordable they are. This is another reason that I stay with the company. The hardest part of the job is the amount of hours that you have to work, but it is enjoyable working with the clients, and it doesn't really feel like work half the time which is nice. You can make decent money if you like OT, and it's not (usually) a stressful job, but be prepared to work all 3 shifts to help out when people call off or are on vacation.
Pros
health benefits, plenty of OT, laid back atmosphere
Cons
mandatory OT, lack of management, always understaffed
Low stress and friendly
PeopleSoft System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 28, 2019
Very low-stress environment. Great people to work with. Working for a good cause. Helping people in need. Knowledgeable people working with you. Management care about the worker.s Good work-life balance.
working environment
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Downingtown, PAMarch 11, 2019
Great place to work. I have a excellent boss and great staff who supports me. Moreover, some of my colleagues are amazing as well. The pay is somehow good.
I loved my time at KHS
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAMarch 8, 2019
I had a great time during my employment with KHS, so much so, that on some days, I miss it. I loved my client's, I loved my co-workers, and the family of my client's were wonderful. The reason why I left was for (primarily) job advancement, but sometimes, depending on staff, scheduling wasn't the best. Aside from that, I miss my client's and co-workers. I may return someday. :)
Pros
ever-lasting bonds with client's, their families, and co-workers, relaxed and easy-going environments (for the most part), being able to make others happy, decent benefits
Cons
pay was a little low for the amount of work you put in, scheduling is not always the greatest, sometimes short-staffed
Toxic work environment
PCA (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 30, 2019
It is a terrible place to work. Staff don't do the tasks that they are supposed to do. Resident rooms and bathrooms are not cleaned. Staff are rude to residents.
No PTO if you’re hired as “casual”, insurance is worthless and seniority meaningless.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJanuary 27, 2019
Casual DSP’s get no PTO/Hol with 36+ HR wk. PT was DC’d a few years ago but prior PT hires/FT get PTO/Hol. Pay starts at $12 up to $13, so seniority is meaningless after at 2-3 yrs. Insurance sucks with big copays before it covers a cent and biannual vision. Med insurance is ok, but I DC’d insurance in 2019 with none now. Advancement is practically nil, unless you want to work long and irregular hours above a DSP for $1 HR more. It’s not worth it, believe me.
Pros
Residents, fellow staff
Cons
No PTO/Holiday pay for “casuals”, useless insurance, limited advancement
Keystone Autism Services Harrisburg is GREAT
Community Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 24, 2019
I work for Keystone Autism Services in Harrisburg and I LOVE it! The supervisors work together as a team to solve problems and support each other and their staff. We get 4 weeks of PTO each year, great benefits, raises and this year we even got a bonus! The teamwork is awesome. The work is challenging and satisfying because you are helping adults in the community make better lives for themselves. I highly recommend this company to anyone that has an interest in social work, some experience with Autism, and who wants to feel like part of a team.
Pros
Great support and teamwork, good pay for this type of work
It good job and easy
Dsi (Former Employee) –  Eufaula, ALJanuary 22, 2019
It’s good job and it easy and laid back , plus everyone get along there and everyone on the same page, no arguing and no fussing everyone get along with each other..
Very Stressful with Poor management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 17, 2019
Management never acknowledge the hard working employees that go above and beyond there job Im a former employee and was hired with another company before keystone took over when my former company was taken over by keystone they kept us separated from the rest of the company. Keystone is not the place to work!!! They hire people that can't barely speak english and treat them way better then people who can speak proper english they also don't teach people that comes there to work from foreign countries properly and those problems are put on the american staff alot of people from other countries (Men) are not accustomed to cooking cleaning and doing certain types of work which puts alot of stress on other staff Keystone fired me over a new director coming in not doing there job correctly and wanted me to do all of the directors work the director never wanted to come to the houses the director had staff doing their job and making the job very over whelming and stressful. They barely gave staff raises the directors get all the raises the hottest new iphones laptop computers while staff is struggling with a bunch of work with low pay. The paper and computer work is so heavy that you really cant focus on the individuals. Very high turn over rate they find petty reasons to fire employees so they dont have to pay out unemployment they make the job hard for you so you can just quit and leave being a former employee and being with the company for 7 years nobody never reach out to me to see if I was ok I was very dedicated to my job as a direct care employee Keystone dont really care about  more... the staff that has been loyal to them and dedicated to the job and individuals most times putting the job before your own family keystone lost alot of good caring people due to the poor management and pay.  less
Pros
Individuals are great. Some great Directors like 2 or 3
Cons
Poor management Cultural Differences Reported Problems swept under the rug no employee appreciation
keystones review
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 10, 2019
Working at keystone was helpful in developing my management style and gaining more knowledge into the mental health community. Management was helpful, gave me much autonomy and very trusting in my skills as an administrator.
Awesome place to work
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, PAJanuary 4, 2019
We offer an excellent living community for individuals with mental health. We help integrate them into the community, live meaningful lives as part of the community.
My experience
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 16, 2018
Everyone was super friendly. They made it a worth wild experience. I would love to go back. I was just a substitute teacher and I needed more hours. When I told them I was leaving they offered me a full-time position with benefits.
Pros
Benefits, summers off
Dysfunctional and Uncaring
Senior Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 15, 2018
The don't value proper individual persons care and procedures. The pay doesn't equal the work, the managers expect you to do your job and theirs. A hostile work place.
Stressful, no home/work balance.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 13, 2018
You never really knew if you got the job completed or not. Something you feel like a burden on others for asking questions. We were promoted to make our own choices but had to go through our supervisor first. So we didn’t really have much say.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Covering shifts, paperwork, no free time out of work.
Low pay, high in paperwork and expectations
Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 12, 2018
The job required mass amounts of paperwork, organizations, little interactions with clients supported, mass amounts of computer training and face-to-face meetings. Compensation is little for type/level of degree work expected to be completed within a timeframe.
productive
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Sunbury, PADecember 3, 2018
people are friendly and the job is satisfying. Working with people who need help with their social , hygiene skills and everyday life is rewarding. Keystone has a great training program and most of the supervisors are kind.
Pros
helping others with special needs.
Cons
called all the time on days off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Keystone Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight