Kiewit Employee Reviews

Found 692 reviews matching the search See all 1,138 reviews
Where its at
Senior Survey Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 20, 2018
If you want to be the best. The pay is not shabby but below average. The prestige and interesting projects almost makes up for it. Plenty of opportunity to grow and learn to build for younger people. Experienced guys know that if you work there, you are the best at what you do.
Pros
Culture, Challenging Projects, People
Cons
below average pay
Peaceful
Go get me this boy (Former Employee) –  OutsideSeptember 20, 2018
Such a life changing experience, these great role models made a man out of me. The traffic and noise made me feel crazy and dizzy at times so I had to get away but I’m a man now.
Pros
Things
Cons
Other stuff
Kiewit is a good company to work for.
STRUCTURUAL FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CASeptember 14, 2018
Kiewit is a good company to work for if you're a single male. It is hard if you have a family because you have to travel and away from your family months at a time. You learn a lot and they pay well. You also have opportunities to move up with the company.
Pros
They pay well
Cons
Your away from your family months at a time.
Worked for Buckskin Mine in Gillette
paperwork organizer (Former Employee) –  Buckskin mine, gillette wySeptember 12, 2018
Management was a joke, my direct supervisor was great, other than that they're a joke. The employees would stab you in the back to get ahead, and it's encouraged by management. Hourly people were crapped on daily. The "safety" program is a laughing stock, "safety" related paperwork takes more time than actually doing the task safely. Skilled labor and operators are paid the same, based on how long they've been there. Their 401k match is based off 2000 hours a year and they stop matching after that so if you work a lot of overtime (which is most regularly only available for the pit) and get your 2000 hours in August, Kiewit will stop matching your contributions for the rest of the year. It takes for ever to build up enough vacation time to take a full rotation off. The health insurance (for the hourly people) is a joke. High deductible, high out-of-pocket junk. Anything they give you gets taxed at the gift tax rate (about 48%)
Pros
Lots of days off
Cons
almost everything
Fun place, team player position, professional office, protected employees from sexual harassment and other harassment issues
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 11, 2018
Team playing throughout the department. Admins assisted engineers to do their roles more effectively. Young co workers for most part but very professional. Most enjoyment was in assisting salaried employees. Definitely a team player department. Although admins had different roles, we were included on staff meetings, district meetings, given training opportunities to further our abilities to do well in the position. Treated with respect and rewarded when co workers felt I had done a good job, and wanted recognition given to me or other co workers.
Team building events occurred to garner a spirit of cooperation and professional fellowship. Christmas party and other events to allow us time to relax and gather in an off duty setting.
Pros
Good benefits, flexibility granted when sick child or when road conditions were bad in winter.
Cons
Cannot say I thought there were cons.
productive place to work
structural welder (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXSeptember 11, 2018
Perfect job to gather experience. Hard & fast paced labor. Job allows you to obtain other crafts if you feel that you want to move out of welding allowing you to transition to other positions.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some difficulty for advancement
great place
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Learned alot there. Was a great place to work. Got to learn alot about safety. Learned about warehouse procedures. Learned how to be a supervisor. Management was great
Very Good
Equipment Engineer (Current Employee) –  Birdsboro, PASeptember 3, 2018
Kiewit is a great company to work for as long as you like to travel North America and don't mind putting in long hr days. I would recommend this for anyone wanting to go into the construction industry.
Be productive
operator (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXSeptember 2, 2018
Stay focus and safety was the goal. All in all a good place to work. Arrive early and plan my day with people that could do there best where I put them.
Pros
Day shift
Cons
Eating lunch outside no matter what
Glad I left.
Employee (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 1, 2018
Depending on what department you are in your level of happiness will vary.
Kiewit has procedures that are counter-productive so much that it creates problems not only for people in the field but people who are there to support them.
Things that should only take an hour to do can take several hours to get done.
Pros
Pay was good.
Cons
Where bad managers go to die.
It was a good company to start off with really showed me what hard work was
Scaffold Builder (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAAugust 27, 2018
I liked the company and it showed me a lot about hard work and It was a good experience for me to go out and travel. I also liked the guys on the crew they taught me a lot about the trade and also how to properly set up scaffolds
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Hot days
Hard working and dedicated staff
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 24, 2018
Employees at Kiewit are intelligent, focused, and passionate about following the company's mission and doing their jobs with accuracy and integrity. People genuinely care about the quality of the work they perform and their fellow co-workers.
Pros
People and training opportunities.
Cons
Home/work life balance.
Typical Day at work
(Internship) RSA Retention (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 17, 2018
A lot of pressure with little to no guidance. The moment you make a mistake someone is at your throat. People walk around with their heads too big to fit through doors, no communication between management.
Interesting Work with Less Pay & Free Time
Engineer/Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 11, 2018
At Kiewit you will be on some of the biggest and most complex projects. It's hard to get promotions as the company is so large every employee is tracked by irrelevant numbering. Management is weak and constantly changing. Starting salary is good out of college, but don't expect big raises. Expect 80 HR's a week including weekends.
good
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
It was a fun place to work people were very friendly and helpful. Learned alot of different things working there. management was very good and nice.workplace was multi-cultural.
hardest part of job was people coming and going.
most enjoyable were the people i met and worked with.
Great place to start a career
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TXAugust 4, 2018
KOS is a great place to get into the construction industry and to learn a craft. They have a great benefits package. But as you advance in experience the pay rate is very poor.
Pros
Great place to learn a craft, benefits
Cons
Low rate of pay
I enjoyed the opportunities available at Kiewit
Desktop support/SCCM Administrator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 3, 2018
Kiewit is an ever expanding cutting edge construction company that utilizes its technology to its fullest. They have an excellent benefits package and are always looking to advance their employees by looking to hire within for promotion.
Pros
There was a friendly team environment.
Cons
Executive support on call could at times be over whelming.
It's Aait.
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, TX 78362August 1, 2018
Pain in the butt, but you know what, its a great learning experience, great benefits, lots of opportunity for advancement. Wonderful place to work unless you have horrible boots.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Hot
Very injoyable
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  New Carlisle, INJuly 31, 2018
Very fun and fast paced, I enjoyed working around all the different trades that were at the job sight. It could be very very busy at times But not overwhelming. It was very safety oriented, very strick on safety at all times
Pros
They awarded safety luches for the craft without any write ups that month
Nightmare on Elm Street
Project Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
I believe that everyone has one nightmare job they measure all others against, Kiewit is mine.

Despite being among the most senior members of the management team for a project, Kiewit was the worst experience I've had hands down. Senior-most onsite management openly opposed efforts to do the job right and denied me the tools to be successful on the project, building codes, a vehicle to drive the large site in snowy conditions, etc., making my job significantly more difficult. The situation was only exacerbated by the customers QA/QC people seeing that this was happening. One of the customers senior engineers opted to retire he became so frustrated.

When I finally left, Kiewit didn't give me a letter of recommendation, but the customer's project manager did!
Pros
Paid better than unemployment
Cons
Hostile management, unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss