Kiewit

United States1,120 reviews

Found 1,120 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,716 reviews

Kiewit insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Great job and interesting work

I really enjoy working for Kiewit and it is my first experience working in a construction environment. The project is interesting and the people have met are great. The ending of the project means moving or finding another job.

Fun place to work at

Fun place to work at and a great way to grow. As an intern I was able to learn a lot and was given a job upon completing my internship. If you are a hard worker you will excel.

Pros

People

Cons

Hours

Great company !

I love working for kiewit its a lot of growth and learn something New everyday . The superintendents I worked with are definitely cool. It’s like a family working here.

Pros

Everything!!

Cons

Good company, work as a team, care about their employees

Kiewit is a good company and treat their employees like family. The benefits are pretty good as well. However, for non-engineer positions, there aren't many promotion opportunities.

Pros

Culture, benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunities

I would say I did have fun working with the people in this company.

Kiewit is a great place to start your career if you are willing and able learn new job skills with great people who know the environment , and they are safe company to work for.

Pros

No free lunches but you can eat where ever you choose.

Cons

I like the short breaks and the benefits that they provide for you.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Mostly cool people and good environment

The current manager for my department was hired on and within 6 months or so he was trying to find reasons to fire people so he could hire people he knew.

Pros

Flexible work times and pay

Lots of Opportunities to Grow Your Career

There are lots of opportunities to grow your career within Kiewit. Typical new engineer can experience different side of the construction business (if you can get out of the estimating department).Other side of the coin is work life balance can be challenging if you have a demanding boss / project. Some people work 12-16 hours day (no overtime pay) and are proud of it.

Pros

Above average pay (for construction), Good career advancement path

Cons

Work life balance can be bad, Projects are scattered everywhere so your commute time can be 3-4 hours

It's cool

Good place to work , money it right and came every week, long hours and long nights , isn't a bad thing in my life , would not mind going back at all for 3rd time

Must be willing to work long hours and hard.

You must memorize all the project details and stay in your own business. Staff tends to party a lot.I would not go back to that company.You will work long hours.

Pros

Very organized with building teams and structures. Scheduling is organized.

Cons

The long hours are bad. The extremely high divorce rate is seen in the staff. Your job is not secure, you can be fired fast.

new to renewable energy

I came from experience with wind and helped the project tremendously with some of their lack of experience only to be told false information about raises and and a promise to be moved to a job in located in Texas and stuck on midnight shift that was also promised to be short term that was not. great company with lots of good people but the director of safety for that department showed favoritism and spoke to many broken promises.

Pros

good company, great benefits

Cons

poor leadership

Great place to work if you're cut out for it

This company is amazing, but only if you're passionate about field work and construction. The benefits are great. The people are definitely great. The pay is pretty competitive, but I'm not too happy where I am at because I realized construction is not for me.If you are out in the field, then you will definitely suffer in terms of long hours. You will probably work 12 hours a day.

A big company in a little town

Kiewit Offshore Services (KOS) is a place where I feel the leadership truly cares about the safety of their people. They build offshore oil rigs here, so the array of jobs is vast; welders, fabrication, painters, carpenters, etc. The safety culture here seems to be genuine, from the top down. That said, their pay isn’t the greatest in the industry, but they are addressing that.

Pros

Hours are there if you want them

Cons

It can be super hot in the summer.

Worst company culture of all time. A real life cult. A corporate, political sweatshop.

This company is the worst. Truly the worst company culture of all time. Backstabbing, ladder climbing mentality. A real life cult. A corporate, political sweatshop.

Cons

Zero work/life balance. Arrogant organization.

Great place to get your foot in the door, but that’s it.

I was a diesel tech intern for Kiewit mining group and while it was a mostly positive experience, there are quite a few cons. The good: pay was decent. The bad: location would have been okay provided I didn’t have to get uprooted 1200 miles away to some town where nobody knew or cared about me. If you are looking for a place with a sense of belonging then look elsewhere.When it comes time to the management, good god it’s some of the worst headbutting matches I’ve ever seen. If you aren’t wearing that yellow vest you are just dog water and nothing more. As an intern I have seen how entitled management is towards their mechanics, parts managers, and laborers. It’s infuriating. Even the engineer interns who though they were better than me even though I was in a similar degree to them (and a higher GPA). Bottom line, don’t work for this place unless you WANT to feel like you don’t belong, are excluded, and/or want to be treated poorly. Terrible job, Kiewit. 1.5/5.

Pros

Hour lunches, decent pay

Cons

Management, the people, huge god complexes

Learned a lot but too stressful

Learned a lot but unless part of the ole boys club forget it. They advance those to play the corporate game and not off of the quality of work. Definitely not diverse or inclusive. Very old fashion with dress code, working from home, etc..

Pros

Good experience

Cons

Stressful and no advancement

unorganized management in the corp office

I really loved working for Kiewit. it was the Corporate office managers that i found had no idea on how to do there own jobs. While i was in the Lanexa office i was asked to help Procurement, and was asked about my knowledge about the GE towers and if i could help with what was needing electrical ran to them.

Cons

unorganized management in the corp office some have no idea how to even do there jobs

Good for a starter job

Good place to start, very poor work life balance, insufficient pay and questionable project management teams are the main reasons to switch after a few years. If you like traveling, the job is pretty good but long unpaid hours, no overtime or bonuses make it difficult to feel valued. Healthcare is all right along with retirement benefits. Most people stay to get company stock but in my opinion that is not worth working for a company over five years just to risk significant amounts of money on their stock. The experience is the most valuable part about the job, it will help you get countless other, better offers.

Pros

Good experience, Job stability

Cons

Mandatory unpaid overtime, very poor work life balance project management is hit or miss

Great experience

Kiewit offered a great learning experience; they believe in training, growing and developing their talent. Some management was difficult to work with but just about any job will have difficult people. My overall experience was great and I miss my management team.

Pros

Company events, training, benefits, pay

Cons

PTO could be better

Incredible job, by far and away the best company I have ever worked for.

I worked on the headwaters wind farm project in Losantville, IN. Kiewit had not much experience with wind powered turbines but you could barely tell, their engineers hit a few snags along the way and one of the giant cranes actually sunk in a field but they came up with an excellent recovery plan and there were no injuries or property damage and after a short period the crane was rolling again. I’ve never seen foremen/management that was so in tune with the men on the ground. They listened to us when we told them what we needed and they stood up for us when conditions were bad or we pushed to accomplish a goal. I truly felt valued and I was the lowest possible man on the totem pole.

Pros

Everything imaginable

Cons

None come to mind

Do not stay here

If you are an engineer 1, yes, you can easily come here, get worked a ton, learn a lot, then quit and find a better job. Stock does not pay you back unless you stay for 15+ years, that will only be chosen if you kiss up to your district management, if you are not in the field, your chances of stock or any good raises above inflation are realistically zero. If you are not field staff, you are basically treated as a second class citizen, who has to do whatever someone from the field says.Do not try to work hard, several superintendents just sleep during the day and let their foreman or engineers do the bulk of the work, let alone know how to use a computer, which means you will learn a lot by "Trial by Fire," and will not be compensated fairly.On the brightside, if you want to stay in construction, many other companies appreciate a Kiewit background in the construction field, so leave, get paid more, and work less hours.

Extremely stressful work environment

Kiewit preaches safety unless it costs too much. Their craft and staff are overworked and aren't given the tools they need to complete a job safely.Every day you are working like its an audition for your job, and they let you know it.

Pros

Good money if youre hourly

Cons

Extremely toxic work environment

Common questions about Kiewit

Answered by current and former employees at Kiewit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss