Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. Employee Reviews

Company Oriented Company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2019
Very company-first Company. Dedicated top-notch employees who give their all for the company and clients. A lot is expected of employees, and they are generally rewarded well come bonus time. For engineers that live to work and like working with intelligent like-minded co-workers, this is a great company.
Pros
Salary and benefits, lots of young people
Cons
you work a lot
Well structurated company!
CIVIL ENGINEERING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLDecember 18, 2018
Kimley Horn and Associates is a very well structured engineering consulting company. I had the opportunity to work with very talented and professional engineers at Kimley Horn. However, it is very difficult to reach a work-life balance due to the fact that a typical work day can easily be 12+ hours long.
Pros
Very professional personnel
Cons
Work-life balance is close to impossible to reach.
Consistently a positive work environment
Office Practice Leader (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 3, 2018
The company had progressive goals for growth and success. If you cannot maintain the pace or the expectations, it can be stressful, but rewarding. Great many opportunities for advancement and self-starters.
Pros
half-days on Friday
Cons
Consistently increasing goals and expectations, year over year
LD intern
Aviation Intern (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 18, 2018
I learned alot and got good training in CAD but my supervisor refused to give me more tasks. He also had personal problems with my "KHA buddy" and wouldnt let him give me work.
Pros
great culture
Cons
supervisor didnt provide enough work to keep me busy
Great Place to Work
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 3, 2018
Working with Kimley-Horn presented amazing opportunities. They are very well- known and established in the Engineering world. Not so much growth for Administrative staff but enjoyable nonetheless.
Pros
Awesome for career growth
Cons
Not very diverse (Ethnically)
Great place for a career
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  MountainOctober 3, 2018
Many opportunities to grow here. Don't have to wait a certain time frame before you can advance, people get some amazing opportunities early in their career. Those who are driven and want to be successful will thrive here.
Pros
Great pay, great people
Great Company, Horrible Management
Regional Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 27, 2018
I loved the company and would love to have stayed, but the management is the worst management I have ever been under and made my time miserable. It’s not for everyone.
This place is a slave driven company
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 15, 2018
The area I was in was so self driven by manage the actual picked there one people they want to work with. And they where all younger people that they choose
Pros
Cons
Everthing
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2018
Great team, good-spirited work environment. Great manager. The expectation however was totally different from my job description. I am not into sales or marketing; I was hired as an Electrical/Network engineer but I was expected to "sell" what Kimley-Horn had to offer. Your performance, bonus and promotion were majorly based on this.
Pros
great people, great work environment
Cons
long hours of work, high expectation on sales, marketing.
Okay place to work
Designer / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 12, 2018
They like to hire young adults just out of college and train them. It seems this is best for the bottom line. They seem to think people are interchangeable and can work in any location.
Pros
Large company
Cons
Though they try to make you feel like a family but you are a number. $
Great advancement opportunities
Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, TXAugust 30, 2018
Very poor work life balance
Traveled frequently
Great for Engineers
Not great for business side
Amazing Benefits
Awesome Internship opportunities
many locations
Stiff office
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 31, 2018
It's a great experience, but you design the same things over and over again. The office environment is very stiff and "joke free". I would suggest working for a different company if you don't want to be doing the same stuff over and over.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Boring work
No the same company anymore.
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 2, 2018
401K is great profit-share is even better, but the new upper manager is a pure stupid. He doesn't understand the simple idea of retaining the talent.
Pros
People we work with.
Cons
No much after all the good people and talents are gone. I will so join the same boat.
Great Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 28, 2018
I was an intern for a summer, and I learned tons in a professional environment full of engineering pros. The work was tough but rewarding, and the people were helpful and knowledgeable.
have not worked at KHA in almost 20 years was tough work environment.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 15, 2018
I have not worked at KHA in almost 20 years was tough work environment. It was a very tense work environment and high pressure most of the time. Company was very profit driven and this took toll on emloyees.
Kha
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMay 4, 2018
Kimley Horn and Assoc. was a great learning experience for me in the commercial area. This was new to me at the time because I had only been in the residential area.
Productive Place to work!
Civil Drafter (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2018
Goal-oriented people who designs environmentally-conscious and cost-effective public infrastructure
solutions. Friendly people who communicates openly and effectively with all involved, from construction
site workers to company CEOs. Successfully cooperate to see projects through from initial planning
stages to completion.
demanding but rewarding
Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2018
Lots of opportunities. Need to constantly be on top of your game, reinvent yourself, or provide unique value as it is a top notch consulting firm with high expectations
Senior Design Associate (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 23, 2018
Started working there at a very young age. Stayed for 37 years that should tell you how great a company it is. A great place to work, excellent benefits, and retirement. Would recommend working there to anyone.
Pros
Great work environment, and great opportunities for advancement
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mountain RegionJanuary 24, 2018
I worked at Kimley-Horn full-time (More than a year)

KHA has a very aggressive business model, that I don't think is sustainable. Every employee is "encouraged" to put in Extra Effort to meet monthly/annual UT goals which doesn't often reflect in bonuses that are mentioned during the hiring process. Although a stable work environment, there is not much room for growth at the staff level. Unless you are willing to work for a paycheck and not have much work/life balance.

On the surface it's a great company with amazing benefits, but it is not a comfortable place to work. KHA is very clever with vesting and can keep you financially trapped. Outstanding 401k match (after 1 year) vested 6 years. Be careful not to get too sucked in unless you know exactly what you're getting into, because it will become harder and harder to leave without leaving a lot of money on the table. And while you're there the KHA machine is squeezing as much profit out of you as possible.