Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.

Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA4 reviews
Profit focused firm, everything else comes second as long as it doesn't come at the expense of profit.
I learned a lot from working here. A fast paced environment that allows younger staff to develop quickly. The skillsets you develop will depend on the type of work that needs to be done. If your supervisor or another PM needs an analyst to perform a specific task for a client you will learn how to do that task very well. Any opportunities to learn skills you think may be beneficial to your career that may not immediately benefit a PM will be hard to develop. All that being said, I have positioned myself to move on from this company with an advantage in my technical capabilities.

This firm has a demographic problem, senior management is predominantly made up of white men if not, white women. The firm has a very strong Kool-Aid culture of people buying into the firm as a family. It is very hard to fit in if you have a different cultural experience than the majority of people in your office and if you don't have a great individual relationship with a PM that can trust to pass their clients off to you. There are few people of color in the firm at all and it is very challenging to see a path of advancement as young staff if you have a different upbringing. I am aware this is also an industry wide problem however, I don't believe the firm took much initiative to fix their problem as it did not seem to be a profitable effort.
Started out great, then tanked
Met a lot of great talented people here. I really enjoyed the work and the people, and the required overtime didn’t bother me. I believe work life balance only matters if you dislike your job, so I never noticed the hours.
The job started taking a turn for the worse when certain project managers were brought on from other firms. Some of these project managers began abusing analysts’ work ethic and created a toxic environment. Given the unstructured work environment, you may not get the support you should have. The unstructured environment is only great when people respect each other and are interested in helping each other share the workload. Would only recommend if you know who you’ll be working with, and if you do not have a family.

In short: phenomenal when the right people are hired, but a nightmare if a few bad seeds make it through. The magnitude of either is amplified by the unstructured approach of the company.
Strong Benefits, Unappealing Work
Kimley-Horn gives you a lot of autonomy and they dump a lot of money into your retirement account, but the company thrives on profit where most of the projects are unappealing. Also, I wish the company considered the long-term environmental impact of their projects, many of which are quick-build commercial projects. Lastly, I will say that the people at Kimley-Horn are an impressive group and are generally easy to get along with.
Pros
Autonomy, long-term benefits
Cons
High focus on profitability, leading to long working hours
Geared towards the "Young Professionals"
Although the company is geared towards the "YP", the young analysts are worked to death. The amount of "billable time or UT" is astronomical and they have no work/home life balance.
As part of the support staff, you are at the mercy of the technical staff to reach the assigned, unattainable UT goal. The support staff is hugely overlooked, with the accolades and bonuses going to the technical staff.

While they do compensate all employees equally, most of the time, with quarterly monetary gift cards and gifts, when it comes to annual bonus and increase in pay, the support staff is under compensated. The annual career development process is a joke, as it takes place months after an "across the board" increase is granted, and nothing is performance based. Very unfair practice.

The company "culture" is basically for those who can produce business revenue and do the actual technical work needed to complete a project.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.