Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Employee Reviews

high energy workplace and friendly people
Doorman/Bellman (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 4, 2019
Days have their waves and fluctuations of buisness. I learned to communicate to department heads and partners. Management was positive and almost always on hand to assist. Costumers and staff were the best part of the culture. Upscale location and upscale clientele.
Pros
paid time off, great tips
Cons
seasonal slow periods.
Killer
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2019
Kimpton is an amazing place to work and grow in the service industry. With lots of resources. I highly recommend. It was one of the most enjoyable work experiences I’ve ever had and honestly it was tough to leave.
Fun and stressful
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 24, 2019
Terrible management if you have a problem and go to hr your voice will not be heard. I had a few personal issues and reached out several times. Was promised help and did not receive it. When i reached out i felt pushed to the side and not heard. I was sexually assaulted by an employee and wasn't given enough time off for the situation. I felt like because of my race i was not given what was promised for a period of time. In which made work and physical issues bad for me and my loved ones. There is no room to grow and race plays a big factor.
Pros
Fun food hours
Cons
Poor management and people skills
Kimton Hotel
Prep/cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 17, 2019
Kimton Hotel was great for the 4 years that I worked there, however my dream was to become a chef and the manager knew this and would not let me grow to become a Chef and from this moment on I have no idea why, especially when I was a great organizer and team player.
Pros
benefits, communication, and safety
Cons
nothing
It was a nice place to work
City Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Kimpton eliminated my position after getting both hotels up and going, I didnt feel it was fair. I worked 12-14 hours per day opening the Everly Hollywood and 12-14 hours per day opening La Peer West Hollywood, I honestly felt I was used because of my construction experience. It was a great company to work for.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Management did not listen
Corporate needs to fix this property
In Room server (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 13, 2019
The Sawyer Hotel in Sacramento had the worst management anyone could have imagined. I worked in a small department consisting of 7 people. The management did not give us the supplies we needed to do our job properly, refused to hire from within, hire people unqualified to do their job and stacked on a ton of work for this little department. We had so much work to do that all 7 of us worked 6 or 7 days a week with 11 or 12 hour days. The management refused to help us even we we were buried and asked. All they care about is the precious golden child Revival. They do not appreciate you and they take advantage of you. The management lie and get drunk on the job for free. It got so bad that the original opening team are all gone now. The hard workers are slowly going away and corporate needs to come in and fix it. Train the management, monitor their alcohol abuse and figure out how to make this place great again. The only reason I stayed for as long as I did was for the team I called family. My co workers were the best and we had each other's backs. All of us the same way and I couldnt have asked for better team. I guarantee we all would have stayed had management been different.
Pros
Free lunch, pto, 401k, health benefits
Cons
Poor management, short breaks, large workload
Stressful with weak management
Ird sever (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 12, 2019
I worked there from opening till January do half a year. My department in room dining was low staffed from the start & stayed that way the whole year due to that you work 10 to 12 hours with only you & one other person both cannot leave to do the duties of the job so only one person will run all over the hotel doing all the labor. You can get very busy & call a manager to help because they say to call them 1. They wont come down, 2. If they do come down they are little to no help, 3. Have no real knowledge to the department, 4. Will run off first chance they get & wint return.
Management also drinks on the job & allows their close friends to do so, you can go to HR about these problems but it's only one person who is also a friend to managment so you get mo help there. There is no communication about events, special orders, wine hour being longer or moved until the very last minute h again you get no help with just two employees. You get alot of hotel work not just restaurant work so you get no raise or holiday pay (their way of cutting corners)
You could have meetings to what needs to change but absolute nothing will change they sst the meetings & change the date due to their many vacation times while you're on day 6 of no day off 10 hour shift.

The worst place of my 15 years of hospitality the worst management I had to endure. No consistancy about drinking about late employees or call outs so if you like to be drunk & work when you want I would not put my time & effort into this place. I quit due all of this & it was the best decision I made
Pros
Some employees are good eorkerd4
Cons
Management, poor free lunch, drinking on the job, gm had no clue to what goes on, no communication, i could go on
Company values are great...if the place follows them
in room dining supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 10, 2019
I actually worked for this company from preopening of the new hotel. I was excited to get back into hospitality, especially this company, because it sounded like it truly valued its employees and welcomed growth and advancement. After building, structuring, training and getting some of the highest scores of In Room Dining, I was looking forward to growing in this company. During my time, I took on the manager role without being compensated for nearly 6 months. Meaning I was doing the ordering, the training, the scheduling etc. I tried to apply to become the manager and I wasn't even given an interview and they hired someone from outside that was already interviewed 3 times before the position was even posted. P&C (or HR) said they couldn't offer me the position because it was poaching. I thought that was called promoting within but I guess I am wrong.

Loyalty, hard work, working 12+ hours, and dedication didn't get me anywhere there, and I did this for over a year. I also paid $15/day or more for parking just to come to work. The food and beverage management team is completely non existent unless you work in the bar/club. They only come to the department to order free food or beverages. When we are busy and ask for help from management, we get no response. When they hired the new manager they asked me to train them, mind you they got hired for the job I applied for. Shouldn't management be training management? This place took my passion and they broke my spirit.
Pros
hotel discount, benefits, 401k, free lunch
Cons
pay for parking, no work life balance, no raises, no growth
Hotel kitchen experience
Line Cook (Grill & Garde Manger) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 5, 2019
If you enjoy a clipboard chef wandering around and managing your workflow, this is the job for you. You will be critiqued by an old has-been, and he will harsh on you while his sous-chefs will make nice and try to keep you on task and satisfied.
Kimpton MUSE
Front Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2019
Possibly the worst managed property in my 4 Hotel, 10 year career. Union employees are coddled by poor management leading to disorder and miscommunication on every level. All issues have been fortified by a long standing upper manager who bends the knee to any Union employee giving no backbone for the managers under him.
Pros
Free lunch, Big company, Growth
Cons
Insurance, work/life balance, No accountability
Great Opportunities for Advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 19, 2019
I was hired out of college and was given the opportunity to move quickly through the ranks of the operation. They support hiring from within, but compensation could be better.
Worst Management
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2019
Worst Management I have seen in my 22 year career in hospitality. They make you work like a dog, long hours. No weekend allow, only the manager, no support from management. No word the money to kill you self when management don't care. Managers taking to hourly people about other managers. No respect. Open door policy, yea right !! don't do it unless you want to get fired.
Great place to learn and move up
Assistant Director of Finance (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2018
Since I've been employed with Kimpton I have learned a ton. I feel as though the hard work that I put in daily is recognized. I am happy to have found a great company such as Kimpton.
productive workplace
General Engineer/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 19, 2018
productive workplace. l have learned a lot doing maintenance work for almost a decade. i did plumbing, hvac, painting, amongst other things. the most hardest part of working is you never move up.
Easy calm place to work.
Chef (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 4, 2018
Very chill and laid back at times, many are opened minded about working with different ideas and the team is neat. But it does get heckled at time. Over all it’s not a bad place to work.
Amazing
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 26, 2018
Had a wonderful time working for the amazing company, so many benifits and the environment if extremely friendly, very close to that of a family. Would highly recommend this wonderful, organized company.
The work environment can be stable most of the time.
Housekeeping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, VTNovember 11, 2018
Its a great place to work. Everyone is friendly to one another and you receive the recognition that is earned. When work tends to get stressed I rise above and proceed.
Pros
Co-workers and my staff
Cons
Work and life balance
descent
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
Many Managers are hired with no experience (nepotism). It caused problems from time to time. Overall there is no Perfect Job site. Co-workers are Diverse of cultures, fun to know and learn of deferent people
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
uninformed
Voted Best Place to work for a reason
Sales (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 4, 2018
Incredible culture leads to incredible results, both from an employee and customer point of view. Organization allows you to be independent and make decisions.
Good Company, Agressive Goals
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2018
Great company platform, benefits and supportive culture surrounding operations team, lots of turnover for the restaurants/bars division. The sales Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly and Yearly Budget goals are aggressive. Long office hours and high expectations. Each property has unique ownership platform which is not consistent companywide.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long Work Hours / Difficult Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight