Kinder Morgan Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Galena Park, TXFebruary 15, 2019
very comfortable place to . You get your hours plus over time if needed . not stressful place. Friendly coworkers. Great pay . paid time off . Great manager.
Pros
Sitting In a security booth.
Fresh Blood Needed
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2019
Management in charge destroyed one side of the organization. Weak leader poor and timely decision making. Was removed and assigned to manage another side of the organization, fast forward two years now this part of the organization is in shambles and people are leaving. Blue collar management style treat you like hourly workers.

You are seen as personal property and are discouraged from thinking just doing as told on a as need to know basis. Treatment can be petty at times and have to perform heroic acts to get your job done with limited resources.

Great job if you are a drone and expect to perform the same job/task for your entire career.
Pros
Compensation
Safe and Interesting
Customer Service Representative/Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJanuary 24, 2019
I enjoy interacting with customers and truck drivers daily while I solve problems with billing. I've learned a lot about the gas industry while working at a terminal seeing everything first hand rather than seeing it on a film or picture. the most enjoyable part of my job is working with others who work in a team environment.
Pros
close to home, decent benefits, decent hours
Cons
low pay for the industry
Eventfull with occasianal cookouts
Operator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Our day's ussualy start planned ahead coordinated with local management in a calm relaxed inviroment.
Always tasked with challenging skills, the most part of this job that that I like is that your always learning new skills and knowledge.
Pros
Paid holiday's with benefits
Cons
call out are always in demand
It’s a okay work place just management sucks and not understanding
Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Blytheville, ARJanuary 23, 2019
Most management tries to talk to you any kind of way and try to make you feel like your not a grown person. They tell you one thing in the safety meeting but when your in the field they just want you to get the job done. They say safety is not compromised but if they need the numbers met they will make you work extra everyday and don’t care if your tired.
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  AmericaJanuary 21, 2019
Good place to work but not great. On the job training. Some room for advancement. Average bonus incentive. Average work to life balance. Great co-workers.
Managers that are jealous will make your day rough
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Typical for HR to side with business than employee. Mgmt is not consistent within the company. If you have a good manager you will love your job. Managers throw their reports under the bus.
Lawson ERP Team Manager Is Horrible
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2019
When interviewed, I never over sold my skillset. I am a Lawson admin that was willing to learn and support new applications. Instead of being given any Lawson tasks, I was placed on a very stressful and unsuccessful Kronos project as well as supporting their current time keeping software, HBS. These are 2 apps that I've never touched. I was tasked to install 2 patches in Kronos Dev and given directions to do so. I followed the directions not realizing that when I installed the 2nd patch that it uninstalled the first one. Honest mistake not fully understanding the Kronos management console. I got raked across the coals for that. Not taking into consideration that I've never done this before!

Supporting HBS was horrible. I was asked to support an application that NO ONE ON THE TEAM KNEW HOW TO SUPPORT. The original guy left. His documentation was on a shared drive that belonged to the payroll team. I asked for access to that location and was approved by payroll but denied by MY BOSS! He told me I had to go through a team member to access any documentation. First I don't know what's out there so how do I ask for a document. Then I asked that guy to copy everything from that location to a location that I can get to. Did that every happen, of course not! That's even after asking several times! But it was my fault when requests were not completed on time. Why not just give this app to the guy that has the access. I couldn't get approved for odbc connections to databases for hbs support and an Access DB that had all types of stuff going on with it.

So I got fired for not being
  more... able to deliver on my tasks. I relocated to Houston for this job and was fired within 2 months. That dude is crazy! No one on the team believes in him and he clearly has no clue about any of the applications the team supports. So much more went on with this team...

I may sound salty about the firing and of course who is going to give a good review after being released. There are some good things about the company... well the team I worked on had a few good souls on it. We genuinely tried to help each other out to the best of our ability. That manager needs to go!
Pros
Good team members
Cons
Horrible management
Great work place.
Welding Inspector and 204 Inspector (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 14, 2019
I have worked on multiple projects for Kinder Morgan and have had a wonderful experience with Project Management and their staff. Morning JSA with all employees and project planning with daily reports.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Travel
Somewhat challenging workplace
Manager-Emergency Response Programs (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002January 13, 2019
KM provides subsidized parking or Metro Q-card.
9/80 work schedule.
Frequent travel.
Workplace culture is generally friendly but demanding, with lots of meetings.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Mandatory one hour lunch breaks
Watch your back
Terminal Operator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 6, 2019
The work itself is easy and well worth the pay. But when working there management and employees is only out for their own good. If you commit a mistake they will throw you under the bus faster than you can admit to it. They run it like a military one person messes up everyone get punished. Managment is a joke they come and go as they please when you take a problem to them they let everyone know who said something. HR is a joke you ask a question they dont know answers. They force you to work when it's not your weekend. They play favoritism with certain operators and brother n laws. Also they let tanks and valves leak right on the ground with no concern to the environment or employee safety.I would recommend to find some where else in my opinion. Benefits are decent and pay is decent but not really worth the head ache.
Pros
Pay Benefits
Cons
Horrible managment & Supervision. No Safety
Good job over all just at the the time i quit hrs and perks were limited
Gauger 3 (Former Employee) –  North DakotaDecember 27, 2018
Overall benefits are great starting pay is good to..u get a company truck...and now they have 1000 dollar housing allowance..so if u need it jump for it..go online fill out a app at kindermorgan.com..good luck
Pros
Beneis pay housing allowance..military benefits if u deploy they pay a portion of ur pay
Cons
Unknown
Terrible management
former employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 27, 2018
The management in the houston downtown office does a poor job of explaining objectives, and cannot be bothered to coach a new employee how to give them a product they see worthy of their time. Micromanaging and belittling are their methods of leadership. Even when you comply with requests you can still be written up for not if the manager is of that opinion. HR for Kinder Morgan has no confidentiality standards that they keep, nor do they stand up for employees.
Prisoners are treated better
Operator (Former Employee) –  Galena Park, TXDecember 25, 2018
If you want to be treated like a number. Then Kinder Morgan is the place for you!! Do you like management who will sell you down the river and couldn’t care less about you or your family? Well then sign on up!!! Do you like policies that are changed on a management whim , well I’m sure Kinder Morgan has a place for you! Or wait how about being rushed on every task but “ officially “ your not rushed , well you’d love it here!! And remember kids safety is priority only when it looks good on paper. And big brother has nothing on Kinder Morgan, cameras at every spot you can imagine and a plant manager who watches 24-7 and try’s to catch people so he can fire them .
Honestly look elsewhere, prisoners are treated better then here.
Pros
Pay is good and punching out to go home
Cons
Once you clock in
Good Place to Learn and Grow
Midwest Regional Procurement & Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 19, 2018
KMI has been a great experience for me. My skills have grown while employed at KMI. This company focuses on taking care of its employees financially rather than "perks" which can be a good thing.
Hostile work environment, seniority meaningless.
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 12, 2018
Generally speaking, a good job to have. Other than that a hostile work environment where you're reminded daily by management that you are only a number. A typical day at work is hard to determine, because it varies daily. Completely based on customer priority, you will be told that overtime is NOT optional. Can't go home until the job is done. Entry level petroleum terminal job. Some supervisors are young and don't even know most general questions you may have. Good benefits, but low pay. Raises are very rare. Operators come and go. Senior operators are less than 5 years experience at the terminal. New rules and regulations are implemented weekly sometimes multiple times a week, therefore its hard to stay up to date on site specific procedures.
Benefits
Cons
Countless
It’s a job
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cortez, CODecember 3, 2018
Compensation for salary employees are not fair based on responsibility.if you have an engineering degree your offered long term incintives but just a business degree you get direct reports and no other incintives
You are just a number
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Carteret, NJDecember 2, 2018
The company has no concern for you whatsoever. Manager favor other less qualified employees as a safety net for themselves. I would avoid this company.
Pros
Cons
Many
Micro-management company with no faith within the employees
Regional Environmental Health and Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2018
I worked for this company for many years and was treated like scum at the end of my career with the company. I no longer fit in with the click and did not want to follow the rules and policies. The upper management will pressure you into do the wrong thing even though they preach for everyone to do the right thing. Overall just a bad company and no one will make a long term career here unless you are the executive management.
Good Company
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 27, 2018
The company requires a lot out of their management. They have a highly lean staff and could use additional higher level positions to assist in the workload.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Heavy workload, lean.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kinder Morgan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight