Kings Dominion Employee Reviews

Super fun and
Food and Beverage Associate (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAMarch 19, 2019
This job is definitely what you make of it. Although I think a lot of the stuff that we're selling is way too high priced, there are so many ways to give and to get a good experience in this job. First and foremost, be nice to literally everyone. People are there to have a good time and they very rarely will be in a bad mood. Second, it's okay to fix your mistakes. If a person says they dropped their dippin dots, give them another cup free of charge. Your managers will understand and it's honestly the best thing to do. Last, the mystery shoppers are real. ALWAYS greet, upsell, and thank customers because it'll pay off and it'll make them want to come back.
Pros
guest passes with first year hiring, free admission into any cedar fair park, long breaks, good hours, friendly people, discounts, employee fun nights
Cons
not usually protected from weather, sporadic hours sometimes
Not enough pay. No pay increase until next full season or if you become supervisor.
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAMarch 15, 2019
Did a lot of extra work at my job than what they say you would usually do. On average during the summer where our staff roster was filled. Many times they would shorten your hours our sens you off to another department/ride.
Pros
Lunches are cheap
Cons
Working hours not worth pay
Great for someone whose not motivated
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAMarch 13, 2019
Kings Dominion was a great place to work if your someone who doesn't care about bettering himself. Nobody really wanted to show or teach, nobody was a go getter. They had a slow paced work atmosphere. Nobody was in a rush to much of anything. Management was very political trying to pinch pennies anywhere they could including anything they bought for crews or hardware.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
People you work with and for
You're definitely FUNemployed
Ride Operator (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Doswell, VAMarch 9, 2019
I work in rides, so this may be different from other departments, but where I am it's fast-paced and you never really get a chance to sit but it's so much fun. I can have fun with my crew members while still doing my job efficiently and safely. I learned so much about myself and even improved as a person - I've become so much more outgoing and talkative (although some may say that I have too much energy, but I'm okay with that - it's better than not having enough energy!). The hardest part of the job is being in the heat for most of the day, but the most enjoyable part is that you meet so many amazing people. You even get to meet people from other countries. When I do something great, I get recognized for it (not in front of lots of people, just me and supervisor, which is what I like) and when I need to improve on something or do something differently I also get told that, and not in a way that makes me feel embarrassed or like I'm dumb. I love working here and I hope to come back for many more seasons.
Pros
meet many people from all over the world, have a canteen for employees to take lunch break it (food is pretty cheap too)
Cons
hot, hot, hot in summer
Good place to work, little to no room for cost of living wage.
Food Service- Carts (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAFebruary 14, 2019
This was a fun place to work. You get free entry to the park and you get to go to company trips but don't get paid for them. Downside long hours and never know when your going to be scheduled to work cause your an at will worker.
Overworked
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAFebruary 12, 2019
Not enough employees, dirty conditions, too many hours working on your feet with little breaks, too many customers to handle, unorganized scheduling, busy lunch rushes with annoyed customers and no tips
Pros
Cheap lunches
Cons
Short breaks, understaffed
Working there
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAJanuary 24, 2019
I think that working at kings doninin was a good job well a good first job because if you go get another job it kinda gives you a look into what your doing
a typical day
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAJanuary 21, 2019
a typical day at kings dominion is almost calm in the mornings but crowded in the evening. it gets more stressful when the heat starts to come and its over a thousand people attending.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
fun but is very hard
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAJanuary 9, 2019
-it is usually fun until the park gets packed
-I learned how to become a team leader
- Sometimes It was overcrowded and customers went crazy but i managed to control it
Pros
cheap
Cons
30 minute breaks
Kings Dominion is very fun to work you meet a lot of people every day and they teach you a lot at kings Dominion
Team lead (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAJanuary 7, 2019
At kings doming I learn how to talk to customers cook clean cashier and a lot of other things you deal with a lot of angry customers most of the time but that teaches you how to keep calm when dealing with angry customers
Talking with people and receiving smiles
Rides Supervisor (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAJanuary 4, 2019
Day starts with a management meeting talking about everything for the day any event. Great communication getting leadership ready for the day then the leadership has a meeting with their crews and gets the day started making sure everything is ready. Workplace stays busy and constantly talking with your crew and guests. A hard part of the job is making sure you properly handle negative situations with guests and turning them into positive ones. The most enjoyable part of the job would be all the interactions you get on a daily basis from the children to parents seeing the smiles and hearing the laughter always brightens the day.
Pros
Fun environment, lots going on
Cons
long days of 10+ hours is common and expected
Fun and hard to work there
Volunteer Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VADecember 31, 2018
I worked about 8 hours that day near Halloween and I learned how to sell small merchandises to the customers there and how to use sales machines like pose machine and tablets to collect money. Managers there were experienced and helpful and instructive, he gave us clear instructions and the workplace culture was relaxed and fun. The hardest part was to manage the collection when there were too many customers at the same time. the most enjoyable part of the job was to see how happy people were in the park.
Decent place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VADecember 27, 2018
It is a fairly decent job, the hours are unpredictable but the pay was fairly good given the job. I enjoyed my time there and do not regret one minute of it.
The job was easy, walking the park wasn't
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VADecember 17, 2018
It wasn't a bad job but the temps got paid more than the employees so their was a little discord between employees. The tasks and jobs I had to complete were not hard, It was just hard for me to walk around the whole park just to eat on my break and get to and fro from my car.
Pros
Free rides
Cons
No free food and very little break time
Terrible
Food and Beverage Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VA 23047December 12, 2018
I worked there for two years, and got treated unfairly. I felt as if I was being treated like I am not educated. I went on senior trip, and was told if I went I would get fired. I had to work an open to close shift 8 days in a row before I got a day off, my typical shift consisted of at least a 16 hour day, with barely a break.
Stuck outside in whatever weather and always on feet
Kings Dominion Ride Operator/Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VADecember 5, 2018
Working at Kings Dominion can be very challenging because you might sometimes be forced to stay past your shift. You're always on your feet and will never have a chance to sit down and take a break.
Pros
Cheap lunch and good pay
Cons
short breaks and terrible weather
Typical day at work
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VA, USDecember 3, 2018
Print picked and delivered orders. You dont have to rush and kill yourself trying to do the work. You are not being timed. And you get your whole break.
For Haunt! - Not really worth it.
Entertainer - Haunt Actor (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VANovember 21, 2018
The guests are terrible to scare performers, the workers cafeteria was dirty and had flies and roaches, and it’s so physically demanding to be running, jumping, crawling, crouching, etc., for 4 or 5 hours straight. You really have to be into the whole “acting like a monster” thing for it to be worthwhile.
Pros
They gave us free food sometimes.
Cons
The other Haunt employees are clique-y, cafeteria and it’s food are gross, very physically demanding, strict schedule
Kings Dominion Employee Experience
Park Services (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VANovember 11, 2018
Working at Kings Dominion is an unforgettable job. Job pay is great for a student or international worker. All of the staff are kind and are flexible. There is a cafeteria where workers pay less for good food. water is provided for workers working in the sun. Overall the work experience for me was well.
Pros
low cost lunch, good environment
Cons
Hot summers
Best job
Park Services Host (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VANovember 10, 2018
I love working here cause I have made so many friends and you got great benefits like free admission or family tickets after a short time. I would recommend working here but I do want to work somewhere closer when I am not working here.