Kings Food Markets Employee Reviews

It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTOctober 7, 2019
I personally like to do other things if I’m not busy and this job literally is just standing and waiting for customers. And I understand that but if I have time to help out in any other way, I would want to. BUT they just wanted me to stand. I needed more to do. But if you want to get paid for basically standing this is definitely the job for you. :)
Pros
store discount and weekly pay
Cons
calling the store every week to know your upcoming scheduling
Management made work stressful
Grocery Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale, NJJune 10, 2019
During my time there I was suppose to start at the bottom making practically minimum wage which was fine considering I had never worked in a grocery environment before. Right away the grocery manager was injured on the job so everyone moved up a rung on the ladder (store receiver was running grocery and the 3rd in charge became the receiver) . So instead of training to learn products and the store I was thrust into action right away. 1st actual day on the job stuck up customers were rude to me because I had no idea what quinoa was....anyway fast forward 2 months later more injuries at work and now I'm doing store receiver for almost 8 months. I asked for a raise since I'm now doing an actual higher ups job and was told no to a raise but they appreciated my hard work. 2 weeks later I left.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything else
Kings is fair to its cashiers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale, NJMay 14, 2019
I worked as a cashier at Kings for a few years, and I would say I was fairly compensated. I typically worked 4-6 hour shifts and got paid slightly above minimum wage depending on how long I worked there.
Great place to grow and learn
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 1, 2019
Not only are you able to achieve knowledge you can only gain while working there, you make great friends and associates. They offer many positions to almost anyones fitting and interests, and multiple opportunities to progress and reach for higher ranked positions.
Pros
Flexible with school hours
Cons
The revolving door of different managers
Positive, upbeat employees/peers, patient and willing to teach supervising managers of all depts., fair rules/consequences, voluntary holiday perks.
Upper Montclair - Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Upper Montclair, NJDecember 5, 2018
Greeted by friendly faces heading into the workday. Checking inventory of shelves, prep list of items needed to fulfill, sanitizing work area. From fruits to vegetables, preparation of pre-cut produce packs and fruit bowls (sometimes for customer specific orders for events like holidays or football games) for consumers to be dished out to the shelves. Conversing with such personable individuals made me feel as if I was at home; learning from those I've met along the way whether it be of the job or of life, I truly enjoyed. Management was constantly moved from location to location, though (most times) fair, constructive correction in the most professional of manners. Visiting supervisors/higher ups never failed to acknowledge those putting in hard work for their company. Hardest part was dealing with particular management whom were unprofessional and immature, nearly cruel.
Pros
Friendly, personable introductions of employees. Teamwork. Holiday-time perks. Decent pay.
Cons
Poor, unfriendly, unprofessional customer service employee who's been with co. for some time.
Kings is very customer-service oriented, and our team members make sure that customers get the best in-store experience that they possibly can.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hillsdale, NJSeptember 2, 2018
A typical day at work is fast-paced, yet fun, and I enjoy interacting with customers and my coworkers. My fellow associates and I work hard to make sure that our customers want to come back to the store. In addition, the hours are very flexible, and I have been allowed to work during my college breaks while taking time off during the semester.
My 10 years with Kings allowed me to grow as person and as professional.
Regional Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Morristown, NJJune 12, 2018
I worked for Kings for 10 years. My attraction to the job was the ability to have personal contact with customers, and to help them plan their catering events. Initially, when I started working with Kings, it was family owned. I was sold to a group of investors, whos management was not interested in understanding the food business. My responsibility was building the catering business for 5 stores.
Pros
Interaction with customers.
Cons
Un-involved corporate management.
NO chance of advancement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJApril 2, 2018
I spent over a decade with King's, and in the beginning, working there was great. It was more about the people and the quality of customer service. As the years passed, things started to change and I didn't like the direction it was going.
It was a great life experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJMarch 20, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Kings. I learned a lot about integrity, different management styles, how to motivate teammates and lead and how to provide an exceptional customer experience.
Kings Super Markets
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJJanuary 9, 2018
A typical day at work includes the tasks of helping customers at the counter and lots of food preparation, as well as cleaning and getting machine equipment ready for use.
professional, upscale workplace.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mendham, NJDecember 30, 2017
Premium customer service.
Promoted women
Professional and respectful workplace
Smaller company with personal relationships
Presentation impeccable
Fun associates
Pros
respectful
Productive fun workplace
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJDecember 7, 2017
Always lots of energy in the air. Interacting with customers, being creative.
Learned to be a good leader and show good work ethic.
Culture is always about people. Hardest part is finding good help
most enjoyable part is making people happy
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Very physical
Stagnant Business
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJNovember 2, 2017
This review is from the perspective of someone who worked at Kings headquarters. The company had stagnated and showed no desire to grow even though there was room in the market to do so. I felt the overarching theme of my time at Kings was of potential unfulfilled both for myself and the company.
Asst. Mgr
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  MultipleAugust 21, 2017
Walking the Floor all night and weekends. Never given the proper Training. High Employee/Mgmt. Turnover. Poor Culture. Working nights and weekends. Does not treat employees well.
Pros
Got Paid
Cons
Read Above
Fun workplace
Product Development Chef (SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT) (Former Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJJuly 8, 2017
Able to be creative ad meet interesting people. Everyday is different and fun. All associates working towards the same goal.. Excellence
Bringing new products to the marketplace
Pros
Creativity
Cons
Long Hours
Customer service
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXMay 11, 2017
Customers were very social and friendly any day of the week I worked. They were extremely patient with cashiers and other employees. The staff were attentive and timely.
Productive and well-organized work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cresskill, NJMay 9, 2017
Working for Kings Super Markets was a very positive experience where I learned how to multitask while also keeping very open communication with the customers. Transparency was always emphasized in order to keep customers assured and happy. The most difficult part of the job was initially multitasking, however it was easy to learn and facilitated a very productive work experience. The store was managed well and I never felt lost or unproductive.
Pros
Discounted products (10-15%)
Cons
Not enough hours given during the week, overstaffed
Great workplace, great coworkers.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Old Greenwich, CTMay 1, 2017
Every day at work was a great one. Everyone is very friendly and helpful if you need help. The management is one of a kind with many helpful lenient managers.
NO Respect for Management.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 12, 2017
Management has a high turnover margin. Good luck growing at the River Street location.

Customers at the Shipyard Lane location are much much meaner though.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Limited discounts, shortening hours, constant management changes, lack of employee communication, no recognition for employee performance, poor inventory of grocery items.
Productive and fun workday
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee) –  Chatham, NJMarch 28, 2017
Kings Super Market helped me a lot while working there. Being employed there helped with a lot of aspects of my life. Since then I can say I've gained a lot of patience and learned to pay more attention to detail. I love helping people and serving the customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kings Food Markets. Our community is ready to answer.