Kinney Drugs Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Weedsport, NYNovember 6, 2018
Working at Kinney Drugs you can have fun and complete all necessary tasks within timely manner. They are willing to work around your schedule so you can still have free time to do things.
Pros
Employee appreciation day
Cons
Low pay
I loved my job
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Malone, NYOctober 22, 2018
I loved my job. My boss was great. Unfortunately I had some medical problems at that point and had to part ways. I would love to work there again. Really knowledgeable.
Don't do it
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York StateOctober 15, 2018
Although small and employee owned this company operation has still managed to consistently exploit and debase its workers, just as if they were members of some Multi-National Organization. Almost unintentionally, they make sure that every employee feels like a cog in a giant machine, just as if they worked for one of the much larger competitors. Despite small staffs, Kinney Drugs has managed to set up some very special and unique polices to significantly reduce employee morale and to treat their employees like sub-humans. All examples are, of course, impossible to list, but a few such would include…
• Perpetually requesting staff to work on their days off.
• Strict low wage pay rates.
• Pressuring employees to stay late.
• Immediate termination at the first sign of incompetence.
• Forbidding sales clerks to sit down during lengthy shifts.
• Reducing the number of days off with paid time off.
• Insisting on humiliating pat downs during lunch breaks, and at the end of shifts to insure that employees never feel like trusted or valued employees.
• And of course, just making worker feel as terrible as possible.

Sure most of our employees could work for some other business that gives their employees benefits, or let them take a guilt free day off, but at least at Kinney Drugs Inc. they can be treated like a totally replaceable tool used for the sole purpose of producing a profit.
Pros
The benefits were very nice
Cons
Upper management is out of touch
Too busy to be productive or enjoyable work
Pharmacy Technician/Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Not only do the managers refuse to acknowledge the issues, but the pharmacy customers NEVER understand the subtleties of the job and constantly harass employees; even regular customers are difficult. They need to reevaluate training techniques, benefits for employees, distribution of services to other locations/pharmacies, and wages for the work being done. Also, the require you to solicit for organizations and services that they support without question or choice. Overall, if you can handle intense customer service needs, little to no recognition for the work you do, and being exhausted on a regular basis, this job could be for you.
Pros
Reliable hours and paychecks
Cons
Too many to list
not a bad place to work
Front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Saranac Lake, NYSeptember 4, 2018
low key environment, management was nice, and laid back. busy but never more than scheduled staff could handle. great location with great clients and customers
This is a pretty decent job to have.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tully, NYSeptember 4, 2018
This is a type of job that is just temporary, and that it is not something that you would want to do for a very long time. This is a job to help get along and pay the bills.
Cooperative work environment, small staff.
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tully, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Being that there is a small staff, it is like a family business. Local areas ensure a lot of familiarity with staff and customers. Going to work was always enjoyable. My son also followed and worked at this company while in college. Always willing at be flexible with school schedules.
Poor Management, Wonderful Company.
Customer Experience Advocate (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYSeptember 1, 2018
All around, if you’re a good worker and you work well with others, Kinney’s is a great place to be. The pay isn’t great, hours are inconsistent, but overall I would never think about leaving if it weren’t for the manager at my store. They have high expectations, but when most of your customers are regulars, you’re happy to make the experience as easy and friendly as possible for them. Teamwork plays a huge role in the position, as does customer service.
Pros
Requested days off normally granted, shift switching allowed
Cons
Only one 10 minute break in a 5 1/2 hour work day, odd hours for management to avoid giving you a lunch, management sees employees as disposable, long training process, hard work with little reward.
A great, fast-paced work environment... with one problem
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 22, 2018
A great work environment with excellent co-workers. Fast paced and a perfect "people-person" job. The one down side is that Kinney Drugs used to be a company focused on it's employees and rewarding hard work with recognition and opportunities for advancement. However, like so many other companies, Kinney Drugs has opted to choose outside hires and leave behind it's current employees who are looking to better their position within the company.
Pros
Fast-Moving, Great co-workers
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Great strong minded family owned company to work for
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYAugust 10, 2018
I loved every party of my job especially the customer interaction and and would have stayed on if I hadn’t relocated. It taught me about insurance pros and cons, how to deal with difficult customers and how to work in a timely efficient manner
great place
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Adams, NYAugust 2, 2018
great place, very relaxed, must like working with public, 401k health insurance, vision ins, dental ins, for full time employees.
A very rewarding job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2018
A great work place and wonderful people that work there and very helpful. You must have to be quick on feet and able to locate merchandise quickly for the best customer service as well as stocking the shelves in a timely manner.
We need Pharmacists who care
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Moravia, NYJuly 15, 2018
Hire Supervisor Pharmacists who wants you to do better, not try to get you fired. Stop hiring employees that have every stipulation in the book, and can't do anything. Teach your new technicians how the pharmacy works, not just stick them on counter for a year. Also, stop hiring pharmacist who choose favorites, and make other work 10 times harder.
Cons
It was a good place to work. I gained experience with the general public and to build skills around business management
Cashier Supervisor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Essex, VTJuly 12, 2018
It was a good company to work for. I was a cashier to begin with and became a supervisor. It was a job that I enjoy it as far as working with the general public helping people figure out what medicines they might be looking for or treatments on the shelf for different ailments and directing them to the pharmacist for more accurate help with medicines.
Loved working for Kinney. all employees are owners
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYJuly 11, 2018
I was always treated well, stores are better staffed than most and atmosphere is less stressfull than other corporations. I was promoted to running Long Term Care division and loved it. It eventually took too much of my time and with children, I became an overnight pharmacist to help my wife raise our family.
Pros
treated like family
Cons
It was a enjoyable place to work
Pharmacy Tech. / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Berlin, VTJuly 6, 2018
I enjoyed the opportunity to work at kinney I really enjoyed the interaction with customers that shopped. The other associates were very friendly and seemed to enjoy the customers who came in they seemed to know most of them
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
There weren't enough hours to work
Pt. advocate
PATIENT ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Champlain, NYJune 9, 2018
The best part of every day is making our customers smile and leave feeling as if all their questions about their prescriptions and health have been answered. The people that I have the pleasure of working with are all there to accomplish the same, A Positive customer experience.
Amazing Company
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, NYJune 6, 2018
An amazing company with room to grow. Your options are unlimited! Flexible with your schedule if part time not so much full time. Great benefits especially if you are management.
Good
Richfield Springs - Retail Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Richfield Springs, NYMay 31, 2018
Really enjoyed my time there, very fast paced atmosphere. Can be extremely stressful at times with patients/customers. But generally a good experience.
Nice place to work.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Watertown, NYMay 22, 2018
Work with the public. From the time they come in till their prescriptions are ready. Answer questions, help the customers find things that are not in the pharmacy. How to place orders for the next day, send things back to the warehouse. The hardest thing is dealing with people who don't feel well or irritated customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kinney Drugs. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight