KIPP Austin Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Highly-driven organization for student achievement
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2018
KIPP Austin is driven to fulfill their mission of providing a high-quality education to all students regardless of their background or socioeconomic status. KIPP Austin provides a professional pathway that allows teachers to work towards higher compensation based of performance versus seniority. The hours at KIPP Austin are long and the workload can be large. They are aware of this and work to find solutions to this issue but this burden has not been eliminated.
Pros
Higher salary than public school district
Cons
long hours, large workload
Compensation and Benefits Good, Everything else Lacking
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2018
Work/Life Balance is poor (though teachers must leave work at school and leave on-time in order for a great Work/Life Balance, unlike me).

Compensation/Benefits are better than public school, no matter the job position. This is a huge plus about KIPP.

Job Security/Advancement is good. Teachers are generally in high demand due to rampant attrition in the Education field.

Management is spotty. As with any population, there are excellent people in this group, and not-so-excellent. At first administration seemed fantastic, but after a time it began to micro-manage excessively. Secondly, instead of supporting the educated trained professional instructors, administration would instead place blame upon them for issues with student behavior, performance, assessment.

Job Culture is poor. A few teachers and office staff will warm up to others after a time, while the majority are stand-offish, rude, or ignore others completely. Granted, this may be normal to most, but there are campuses and schools with a warm, welcoming environment in which everyone is made to feel a part of the group. KIPP Austin Vista was not one such campus.
Long hours, Tense school culture, Poor management
Teacher, Grade 1 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 29, 2017
KIPP Austin Public Schools provides exceptional teacher training and on-going professional development. Teachers are highly qualified, driven and passionate. They have to be, because otherwise they would not be working for KIPP. KIPP is an extremely demanding work environment that requires long hours in and out of school. Teachers are monitored and evaluated on their lesson planning and delivery on a weekly basis, which serves to make them better educators and burnt out, emotionally frayed human beings. The culture was cliquish and competitive.

The curriculum is data-driven and students are very supported academically. They don't, however, have much time to play, relax, or express themselves.
Pros
High quality education, Excellent professional development
Cons
Stressful, Long hours, Poor management
Great
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2017
Great place to work if you're involved in education. I worked as a substitute teacher and received a lot of support from the staff and teachers there. I like that the schools are growing.
Steady System
PE Foundation Health Teacher-Coach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2017
Our work system was very regimented. Everything was very detailed to the minute. This provided flexibility for arranged time planning and adjusting of schedules on any day. However this very detailed nature also became very boring and over worked. This can cause many new teachers to feel overwhelmed which leads to teacher turnover. In my 4 year tenure there, I know of at least 5 teachers that resigned or quit before the first semester was complete. This detailed nature in planning is due to the extended long day that KAPS has created. Twelve hours is too long for teachers to be at the school site on any day.
Pros
Building relationships with educators
Cons
Work life, home life balance is completely one sided due to extended day.
Off site work
KIPP Student Ambassador, Temple University (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 20, 2017
-Must stay motivated and encouraged.
-Communication is key in the success of your students.
-Never be afraid to reach out for assistance or take the lead.
KIPP is great!
Guided Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
I love working at KIPP because the staff are really friendly and they go above and beyond to create a positive leaning environment for students.
If you are considering working here I'd say it's a great place to work, the professional development is very good.
Pros
breakfast tacos
Cons
workload can be a bit much, teacher turnover is a bit high
Nice place to work
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 30, 2017
I think that management in the food service department needs to more heart warming there is a diverse group and the management team feels like they are better than them
Pros
Off holidays
Cons
Blocked pto days and pay
no balance between personal life and work
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2017
Teachers only have 30 minute lunch, well 18minutes, 5 minutes to walk students to the cafeteria, 5 minutes to walk them back from the cafeteria, and 3 minutes waiting for the students to finish the line grabbing the lunch. You will only have 2 days with prep time. The other 3 days is full of meeting (literacy meeting, O3- meeting with your manager, and math meeting). Teachers with kids end up taking them to the school while they are sick because they are not approve to be at home with them. No PE teacher. Fourth grade lost 3 teachers in one year.
Pros
Professional Development day is the best you will learn a lot!
Cons
short break, no restroom break coverage
Fun workplace
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2017
Very busy type of school. Opportunities to grow. Management not so great, but they were working on that. really good mission.
It's not for everyone
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Working for KIPP is rewarding and provides a unique experience. However, the work/life balance is almost nonexistent. The expectations for their teachers are unrealistic and the workload is not sustainable. Administration is unorganized and does not know how to manage their employees in a positive and productive way.
KIPP is not just a job, it's a family!
Curriculum Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 12, 2017
I really love working for KIPP Austin Public Schools. I have been at KIPP for the past year and a half, and feel grateful to be part of such an impactful and positive community. I always feel challenged AND encouraged by my manager and department head. I have already grown so much from when I first began, and have been offered advancement opportunities that have kept me challenged and engaged. KIPP has a great nation-wide network of support so I never have to struggle when I'm trouble-shooting a problem. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with super smart people with big hearts, and knowing that my work has an impact on students.
Pros
positive environment, challenging, impact, advancement opportunites
Cons
must have/develop stong time management and work/life balance skills
Awesome!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2017
KIPP Charter Schools are a unique and wonderful place to work and learn. The values of the organization and the credentials of the teaching staff are outstanding.
Great place to work!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 7, 2016
This is a great school to work at. I spend my days with dedicated teachers and hard working students and families. We are a part of a team that is help all students get ready for college.
Pros
Great staff culture.
Cons
High expectations for staff and students
Awesome, energetic place to work with a huge mission focus and passion for contributing to students' lives.
Fine Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 9, 2016
I love working here, the staff is awesome and the administration is really focused on creating the best possible environment for teachers to thrive. The focus is almost always on students.
District Provided professional development supports teacher growth
7th Grade Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  KIPP Austin Beacon PrepJune 14, 2016
Working with KIPP Austin Public Schools has encouraged my professional growth and development as a teacher. Data from this school year has shown that my students consistently grew based on district, state and national assessments. Professional development and have allowed me to learn a variety of instructional strategies that I was able to implement in my classroom to support in student mastery.
Teancity, Grit, Honor...
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2014
Living in mottos and quotes of other great thinkers inspired the kids walking the start-up college prep school to KIPP Austin Public Charter Schools. This meant free education and a flock of students wanting to obtain residence in a unestablished lottery system put in place by myself with the help of previous administrative staff and the start-up administration director.
The culture and the mission of KIPP schools helped me focus in my personal life and enriched me as a professional.
Pros
free lunch at staff meetings, team building opportunities
Cons
one can easily overwork themselves if work/life is not properly balanced, attention to self in order to function at a high capacity
Great work experience
Teachers assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 16, 2013
the kids were great learners never had trouble with anything they learned with every aspect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP Austin Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight