KIPP Foundation Employee Reviews

Skipp!!
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2018
Extremely stressful. There is absolutely no work life balance. The teachers are great but the entire operations suck! It’s like a prison for kids. Management is focused on numbers. Pressure to push attendance is intense. OMs performance is based on if parents bring their child to school. Which most times are circumstances out of managers control. The child is sick, death in family. OM’s are basically begging parents to bring there kids to school. The parents think it’s because the school care but it’s really for numbers. Kids have a lot of accidents especially the girls because the school only allow a child to go to the bathroom once a day! Which is ridiculous. The safety of staff is put on back burner. The parking lot is extremely dark when staff gets off. Many shootings around school that made me feel very unsafe getting to and from work. A huge workload put on one person. When you ask for help, they look at you crazy. The principal is weird. He just stares at you, and when you speak to him, he act like he doesn’t hear you. One day a staff member came to me and confirmed it, and said the same thing about him. I felt like I was running around the school like a chicken with its head cut off. Everyone wasn’t respectful of your time. During an expected blizzard, the DO told me that I should leave out 4 hours early to get to work on time instead of the safety of staff. Thank God schools was shut down that day. Summers are horrible. I think I would enjoy the mission if it was genuine.
Pros
Days off, pay is decent
Cons
No work-life balance! Don’t do it
Disappointing place to work, poor implementation of service to high-needs students.
Student Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
Wonderful students, but poor management and no provision of appropriate space to conduct necessary professional activities. Lack of transparency in hiring process and unresponsive to needs of employees. Poor continuing education opportunities for professionals.
Pros
Salary in line with area average.
Cons
Management unresponsive to employee needs, affects ability to perform job.
Finance Intern
Financial Analysis & Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 31, 2018
The internship revolved around aiding the organization in ad-hoc assignments that would be completed by the finance team. I assisted the finance team providing back end support by analyzing several parts of the organization and leading my own major project throughout my summer here.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
n/a
Stressful, however enjoyed my coworkers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  GAJune 21, 2018
The lack of a work/life balance here is insane - no matter how much of a master organizer you are with your time, there is NEVER enough time to have a real life outside of work unfortunately. This is a career for someone fresh out of college and/or without a family.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Short breaks/lunch, zero work/life balance.
Not worth your time
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 5, 2018
Year 4 of KIPP schools in Camden and its starting to get messy. Half of my team complained every day but didn’t complain to management. Want you to go “above and beyond” at all times= do more with the same pay. No appreciation. Have parents working in positions they are NOT qualified for, uncertified teachers, and don’t be surprised if your coworker gets paid more than you with NO degree but they claim their mission is college. If you have any kind of health condition FORGET about working here. No type of guidance... or professional development or room for promotions unless you act fake. They care more about you going to morning meetings than doing your job description. Can’t speak for teachess but ever year about half of their staff leaves so that should speak for itself. Hours are horrible. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the headache.
Pros
Cons
No lunch breaks, no consideration, it’s all politics
Great Job while it lasted!
CUNY Hunter College Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2018
The position I had as college ambassador was short lived but it was a great opportunity that offered me much personal growth and a great sense of community.
Not a good place to work
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 25, 2018
There is a lack of diversity in leadership. The upper management want to control your whole day and have very high demands but offer no guidance or concern for the well being of the employees. This was a depressing environment to work in, having to report to a supervisor who was emotionally intimidating, borderline emotionally damaging, and wanted her ego stroked by everyone around her constantly. Not a good environment to work in. Unsupportive staff and gossipy co-workers who will watch you fail rather than support their fellow team member.
Pros
Students and Families
Cons
Micromanagers
Cultural and fun
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 25, 2018
I loved working with the students, staff and parents at kipp. The opportunity to advance in an office setting was not to great, but the pay was really nice.
Micromanaged and manipulation
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 3, 2018
Not a joyful place to work. Too many meetings with useless action steps. All Team CFA. Great mission but too many chiefs. Admin heavy. They give you a phone so you can be accessed at any time
Productive and fun
Programming Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2018
Great environment to grow. Lots of support from managers and neighboring workers. All united under one major goal throughout the network. Wished I had a permanent position.
Do NOT teach at KIPP
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2018
-> Very long hours with very little planning time
-> Inexperienced leaders who taught in the classroom for 2 years or so and think they know everything.
-> No professional development for struggling teachers
-> Content is watered down and students are not receiving the instruction they deserve from qualified teachers.
Pros
students
Cons
Lack of experienced educators
Fast-paced and cutting edge environment
National Professional Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2018
I learning the art of multi-tasking, project management practices and relationship management at KIPP. The most enjoyable part if my job was certainly managing programming in multiple markets across the country.
Pros
The excessive 55%-65% travel
Cons
The opportunity to develop and manage innovative and impactful programs.
Worst job ever
Teaching fellow (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 17, 2018
Long hours this is glorified teaching assistant the expect you to work 10 hour days with a 20 min lunch break you never get break time because teachers are always calling off so you have to cover
Pros
Love the kids
Cons
Long hours low pay
Long Days and Overworked Staff
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 24, 2018
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work at this school... They want staff to come in at 7am and leave close to 6pm... Teachers have no time to plan for their classes. Some of the staff meetings are a waste of time, when you could be preparing your lesson plans for class. Some of the administrators don’t deserve the position their in due to lack of experience. Teachers are not given a chance to advance in career goals. Teachers opinions don’t matter unless it aligns with the administrators there. Administrators don’t support teachers.
Pros
Working with Students
Cons
Long days, Overworked, No Support from Administrators
Expectations are beyond any normal reality
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 19, 2018
No collaboration or team building. No KIPP values taught. Routines change constantly, to which children do not respond well. Teacher meetings are almost daily and no time is given to teacher prep during the day. Teachers report to school at 7am and don't leave until nearly 6pm most days. Calendar dates for teachers changes frequently. Lots of mandatory "come in early", "stay late", "come in on Saturday". Teachers are micromanaged by upper-level staff who aren't educators. It is said that "your opinion matters"... but more often than not, your opinion is thrown out when you are a teacher.

KIPP Columbus does not value family time. They have built a beautiful building and have many resources at their fingertips. But when administration has to tell teachers how to set up their desks in their own classrooms and doesn't allow for teacher planning time, there is a real lack of compassion for the teachers at KIPP Columbus.
Middle School students, including 5th graders, do not have regularly scheduled PE classes or recess time.

KIPP concepts are amazing. KIPP execution at this location is poor.
Pros
Beautiful camps, amazing food prepared by chefs, some dedicated teachers
Cons
no breaks, no plan time, no PE or recess for older students, not family-friendly toward staff, work teachers until they are burnt out
Terrible for staff and students
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 26, 2017
The students call KIPP kids in prison program for legit reasons. No work life balance, you are forced to be too strict on students and administration is full of former teach for america members who often lack experience and logic.
Pros
The pay was decent
Cons
Work load, job environment, administration
Stay away
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 14, 2017
DONT DO IT! The pay is much higher than NPS or any charter school in the area with the exception of NSA but it is awful. They lack culture and each campus is drastically different. You have to be friends with managers to move up. NO teacher development at some campuses. CEO has no clue what is happening.
Warning! Don’t do it!
Former teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 6, 2017
I used to cry every morning while driving to work! After working there for 5 months I started therapy, because I got so depressed having to report to a supervisor who was emotionally intimidating borderline emotionally damaging.
Pros
Students and families
Cons
Micromanagers
Not representative of the community they serve
Director of Operationsk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2017
I came into kippdc as a senior executive and immediately noticed that I was the only person of color at the director level and above. This was extremely disturbing considering the population they serve is over 90 percent minority. Needless to say I did not stay long at Kipp the lack of diversity was unsettling and it displayed itself in subtle ways.
Pros
Helping the children of dc
Cons
Racist work environmen t
Don't take the job!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2017
KIPP 's recruitment is on point, when I was first recruited I was so excited to be a part of KIPP and make a difference. However, it was not anything like they said it would be and I would not recommend working for KIPP. I loved the parents and students, but working for KIPP made me miserable. It was one of the hardest years of my life.
Pros
Students, Professional Development
Cons
No lunch break, Excessive hours, No overtime, Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss