KIPP LA Schools Employee Reviews

Work/life balance
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2018
KIPP does not promote a healthy work/life balance. Teachers are expected to create and discuss lesson plans weekly, spending on average, 2-3 hours a day in revision to meet standards. That revision does not include the weekend work that teachers have to commit to lest their lesson plans are not ready for the next week. Teachers tend to work over 60 hours a week teaching and grading. This does not promote a healthy work/life balance.
Fun place to work in
Classroom Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 20, 2018
Communicating and partnering with the teachers and parents was fun. The collaboration with the teachers was great. The partnership with the parents was important.
Pros
The environment
Cons
"Team and family" is only a saying
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2018
KIPP is a great place to work if you have never worked in another school before and are ok with towing a line. Don't ask questions of management and administration, know that each person is out for their own advancement, and believe that test scores are the best indicator of growth and achievement, and you will be a great success here.
Pros
Promote from within, decent pay
Cons
Expectiation that your work life is your life
No work/life balance
HR Senior Generalist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2017
Too stressful for the lack of compensation and acknowledgment. Poor management and lack of professional development and evaluations. Career growth was not prioritized.
Achieving great things
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 30, 2017
Working hard to serve underprivileged youth in South and East Los Angeles. Fostering growth and providing opportunities in areas that improve quality of education.
GREAT teachers, poor administration
KIPP Empower Academy (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2017
I worked with some of the best teachers I have ever worked with. However, administration has let SOME of the schools get out of control with behavior issues and they don't know where to begin to fix the issues.
Pros
Fun place to work, corporate appreciates employees, cool "swag" for holidays
Cons
Administration
challenging but rewarding
7th grade Science teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2017
Long work days but lots of freedom to be creative with curriculum and projects. Student discipline often an issue and more staff is needed for school to fulfill its mission more effectively. Bright, energetic staff and admin make the long days bearable
Pros
awesome staff, meaningful work
Cons
too many meetings
From a teacher viewpoint
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2017
This is not my first school and it will not be my last. I know so many teachers that lose their love for teaching because of this charter network. There is zero work and life balance but the administration seems to have plenty of time to have a work/life balance. They are the first to leave and last to come to work. Behavior issues are rampant and teachers are not given support. The leadership team lacks experience and knowledge of the community and their students. Teacher burnout is real here and teachers aren't properly compensated.
This place will change your life.
Dean (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2017
When I started at KIPP 4 years ago, I had the desire to become the best teacher I could be. Little did I know, employment at KIPP would not only prepare me to be an amazing teacher, it changed my life.

As a founding teacher, I had the experience of being part of a team that created a school from the ground up. I felt like I had a voice and that my work was valued. I worked with teachers who I now consider family. In addition, I had the opportunity to be innovative and try new things with support from my School Leader and experienced peers.

I received weekly one-on-one meetings driven by data about my instruction. I was observed and given feedback. I attended PDs on my content and participated in workshops that changed how I taught.

The families we served were supportive and active. There was never a week that went by without food in the teacher's lounge, a positive conversation with a parent, or an invite to a birthday party/soccer game/or other family events.
Pros
investment in employees, matching 401K, lots of free clothes and gear
Cons
still working towards a work life balance, but every year gets better
Business minded leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2017
I went into my position with the impression that Team and family were a priority only to find that leadership had no interest in student's success and were only conscious of how they can shine and execute their agendas. Leadership only invests in their chosen few and do not work to retain staff whatsoever. If you're looking to develop yourself as an educator this is not the org for you. You will be thrown under the bus in a heartbeat if your vision does not align with their agenda.
Pros
The students are amazing and have all the potential in the world!
Cons
Management only reprimands and does not develop, not everyone gets an opportunity for development, no support for individual's visions
Inviting place to work at
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 26, 2016
Multiple locations but the staff are all warm and inviting.
Team orientated, focus & priority are the students. Great Charter school to work for.
Poor work environment
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 13, 2016
This job is really for someone who is in need, management is unprofessional, the manager hires her family, and the staff is non friendly.
Pros
Students are amazing
Cons
If your not family don't work here
Such an amazing organization to be apart of.
Instructional Aide (K-2) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Helping the students get ahead and prepare them for college every day is so rewarding. The staff I worked with in Los Angeles was very supportive and loving.
Good organization doing great work in education.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2015
KIPP LA is changing the education landscape in Los Angeles. The staff is full of bright and dynamic individuals passionate about education reform. The culture of high achievement is infectious and facilitates an innovative and entrepreneurial professional environment.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2015
Poor talent management, disinterested in personal growth, stifling experience. Not somewhere that helps grow individuals professionally.
Productive, fun work envirnoment
FOUNDING FOURTH GRADE LEAD TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2015
A typical starts at 7:30a and end around 4:30p.
The team/family culture is vibrant, fun, and educational.
One of the hardest part of the job, personally is finding the proper work/life/balance. (It takes a village)
The most enjoyable part of the job are those ah-ha moments when scholars identify or finally understand.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KIPP LA Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

KIPP LA Schools Reviews by Location