Kirby Inland Marine Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
N/a
Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJune 12, 2018
Lost hope in my job security and not to mention the management were unwilling to hear anyone's conflicts/issues with life that was hard to pass by, quite disappointing in my opinion.
Challenging work environment.
Dock Operator (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJune 11, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company, the supervisors were fair, nevertheless; there always has to be one that is not. I loved my job, it was an incredible journey.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Managers with a vengeance.
Good for Long Term
Tow Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXMay 14, 2018
The benefits package with Kirby may not be the best, but it is better than most. Safety is very high priority. The schedules vary but there are options for mosts situations.
Stay away from this place
Lead Mate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 11, 2018
Literally worst place ever 84 hours a week no over time no sick time no vacation time do yourself a favor and avoid this company but if you enjoy being underpaid and worked like a dog go right ahead. Trust me I worked here 8 years
Good company
Quality and Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2018
Working for the manager and have learned a lot within the 3 months of employment. The company is growing and inquiring other Marine companies. Most of the employee have good job tenure
Pros
Free lunches, good working hours
Cons
Not a permanent employee
very fast pace
Captain/Wheelman (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXMarch 21, 2018
Kirby has been one of the best towboat companies that I have worked for. Their safety culture is great, Only reason I am considering leaving is to go shore side. It is rough constantly leaving your family for 3 weeks at a time.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
having to be away from home
This company was the worst i have ever worked for
Intermodal Crew Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXMarch 13, 2018
Poor management, hazardous work environment, no work/life balance, horrible coworkers, racist environment. no job security, no open door policy to report racist behavior
Best job ever..Pierod.
Relief Captain (Current Employee) –  HoustonMarch 11, 2018
You would be working for the very best in the Maritime industry. they are the standard that every other company out there tries to catch up with. constant improvement is the Kirby way. it's like working for a Super Bowl team. expectations are very high and we'll worth the effort.
Pros
safety unmatched.
Cons
you work for the best, they expect your best effort.
Off-shore
Deckhand/USCG License Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXFebruary 21, 2018
This is a tugboat position where you are taught on the job. If you don't mind being away from home days at a time this job is ideal with a great company
Pros
Industry leading company, High focus on safety
Cons
Being away from home
Nice people great place to work
Port Engineer (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXJanuary 30, 2018
I enjoyed working hand in hand with the coast guard. Estimating repairs/vessel repairs/meeting with u.S. Coast guards in emergencies etc. Enjoyed working with other shipyards and made good friends. I have excellent references.
High stress, high demand
Wheelman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2018
Long hitches on the boats, with very competitive pay. Recently there have been benefits cuts, as well as a "do more with less" campaign and a hiring freeze for new deckhands that puts a lot more work and stress on the crew.
Pros
High pay, dedicated to safety
Cons
Long times away from home
can be a fun place to work but alot of stress due to high volume of work load at times.
Crew Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 12, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with
Overall the top supervisors were easy to work with, sometimes lower management was difficult to work with
I am grateful I was given the opportunity to work for a growing company. I gained a lot of experience and was able to build relationships with some wonderful people.
very hard working environment
Dock Terminal Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 5, 2017
The vessel would arrive, verified it was okay to connect to vessel, connected hoses, communicate with vessel to verify paperwork, met with captain to verify times to start loading and offloading chemicals, opened all valves and pumps, adjusted hoses as needed, kept in touch will terminal and vessel for safe transfer. Kept all information in log book, details that occur on the dock, did dock checks through the whole transfer. Hard work for a few hours, then its slow going through the time of the transfer
My time their
Barge Port Engineer & Vessel Personnel Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXNovember 21, 2017
I worked various job thru all the years I was their. To much stuff to mention. HR, Barge Maintenance, Safety, etc...M & R on Inland Tank Barges, All Personnel functions for tow boaters.
Pros
Big Company
Cons
Feel like a number
Kirby is not a bad company.
Experience pilot (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2017
I wish I could go back about 8yrs I would have been worked for Kirby. Compared to where I did work before Kirby I was wrong about Kirby. They do have a lot of rules but at least they do show they care for their workers all their workers. In other words hard work is not over looked.
Pros
Newer equipment.
Cons
depending on the crew of the boat. U can have a good time or a bad one
Productive place to work
Dorm Assistant (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXOctober 20, 2017
Kirby Inland Marine is an overall great company. Anything that relates to the merit-time division they pretty much control. In the next 10 years there wont be anyone left to compete.com
Great pay
Deckhand/Mate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 19, 2017
Great job but the people working there are not so great!! I pay check was Great! How fast you move up is up to you but don't ever get hurt on the Job! They will for get you even work for them and give you problem after promblem
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Coworkers
very very dafe
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 27, 2017
I loved working for Kirby. There was so many benefits. I just enjoy being on the river. And Kirby is one of the best companies in the industry. I really wish I would have stayed I would be a pilot with them by now.
Busy enviroment
Crew Driver (Former Employee) –  Channelview, TXAugust 16, 2017
Its a good company depending on what department you are in. The hardest part of the job is management lying and making up rules as they go. People will laugh in your face but talk about you soon as you're out the room.
Busy workplace
Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXAugust 4, 2017
As a tankerman you are gone 20 or so days at a time. Traveled to various places on the water delivering petroleum products to different ports. Some work place hazards however Kirby used the upmost safety standards in the industry.