Kirkland's Employee Reviews

Found 1,042 reviews matching the search See all 1,044 reviews
Great atmosphere and managers, terrible pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ILDecember 17, 2018
Working at Kirkland's has been both good and bad. I love working with my coworkers, as we all get along well and have become genuine friends in the workplace. The managers on duty and even store and assistant managers get along great with everyone and we all work seamlessly together. The pay, however, is very bad. As a sales associate who works about 30-hour weeks and makes 9.5 an hour, it's basically chump change. Upper level management (district, etc) expect us to do EVERYTHING (unload truck shipments at 5am, unbox, assemble, put out on floor, janitorial service, clean entire store, not to mention register, build displays, customer service, etc) for dirt pay and zero benefits, with only a 20% employee discount. Not to mention only a half hour break every 4.5 hours. I will work 7.5 hours and get only 30 minutes to break. Wonder why people are always leaving? Value your employees and they will stay longer.
Pros
Amazing team of people to work with
Cons
Bad pay, no benefits, and barely any employee discount
Good Starting job, but not a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJanuary 2, 2019
Going in it was a good job, if you are a manager. You get the good discount and hours. You're expected to do more than your job description as well as do tasks only a store manager should do and there is no recognition whatsoever from upper management. You're expected to force people to buy items as if you are working on commission. The company's HR is a joke, as well as district managers. You might get lucky with a good store manager but from my experience none of them are qualified to hold that title. Also expect to always be asked to go in on days off as they cut hours like crazy and yet are understaffed at all times.My manager told me i was expected (as a part time employee with no benefits) to act like my life revolved around the company, which meant working 9-11 days in a row, never requesting days off and forced to go in even though you are extremely ill. Kirkland's is a good first job, or even part time while in school job, but i do not recommend going further than that.
Pros
okay discounts
Cons
poor store management, only managers get hours
Awesome business
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 1, 2019
Great business to work just not under the management. A Christian company with people not of god running this particular store. No job advancement unless the district manager feels you're sucking up to them.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No benefits, No recognition at all, no raises
Good Compensation for Managers
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNDecember 30, 2018
Good pay and benefits for higher level managers and a lot of room for growth if you're willing to relocate. However, that's about where the good things end. High stress job with constant conflicting orders being given by DM, RM, VP, and CEO. Which results in your being wrong no matter what even though you are just doing as your told.
Working at Kirkland"s a Home Goods Store
Part-Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 10, 2018
I enjoy working at Kirkland's, I think it is time to move on. Depending on the time I come in to work I do a walk threw and look at all the merchandise and where it is placed. There is a lot of movement and change every week. The manager tells me of any task that needs to be done and if there is any deal going on/sales. I walk around the store and greet the costumers and assist them with their needs. If they are ready to check out I will do that, or if they have a question about any item for example... quantity, and need to look in inventory, or they are here to pick up from an order placed online or if the need a return.
I have learned to be patient with what or whom I am working with and it never hurts to smile and take a second look if you are unable to find something. Our storage area can be overwhelmed with inventory sometimes.
My coworkers have in the most part very nice, it is a nice place to work, the hardest part of the job is the times when there has not been enough support in a very hectic time.
I like helping people and the satisfaction that I made someone's day a little better and got a smile from the experience. When they return they remember me and want me to assist them in picking out their next treasure.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
no benifets, health, 401K, either part time or manager overworked
Not great
ASSISTANT MANAGER/KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, Tx and Little Rock, ArNovember 11, 2018
A typical day at Kirkland's is usually busy and customer focused. I have learned a lot about managing and running a business. The hardest paty about the job is trying to live on the pay. It is just not enough. Especially, compared to other businesses.
Pros
Family type work environment
Cons
Not enough pay/benefits
No longer a fun and enjoyable place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 3, 2018
Kirklands' environment and overall employee appreciation has drastically gone down hill. The company no longer allows employees to use their employee discount on clearance items. The company has turned to hiring outside of the company instead of promoting within like it used to. They claim to have flexible work hours and a willingness to work with your availilability, but even that has dramatically fell through the cracks. They no longer ensure participation of the employee of the month takes place. That is really sad. If Kirklands' would stop focusing on saving every penny and focus on having a happy, fun, caring environment where employees want to work there, then it would spill over into greater customer service and lead to sales!!!
Pros
smells good to some
Cons
no benefits, minimal hours a week, doesn't care for their employees
chill workplace with nice cusomers
Team Worker (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 15, 2018
The job is not hard but I think we get underpaid and I don't get as many hours as I would like. I work stockroom on Tuesdays and only get $8.50 for it and I am a seasonal assistant manager and got a $1 raise for it.
Pressure
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 27, 2018
The company has become very stressful to work for. They blame the employees for the lack of sales of products and in return punish the employee by not giving hours and giving little to no raises. It is impossible to raise a family on so little they offer.
Pros
Staff is friendly
Cons
Corperate pressure
Productive and fun.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Very nice work environment and great staff. Basic management skills needed to execute the job but a lot of physical labor. Must be able to lift 25+ lbs.
Pros
Great discount. Great management and company culture.
Cons
Low salary.
working at kirklands
Sales associate/ Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 12, 2018
Poor Managment with no benefits and works below minimum wage. Workday at kirklands is very slow, rude clients. I don't feel like saying any more about this job
Pros
N/a
Cons
work like a dog for no pay
Kirklands
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZSeptember 30, 2018
Need to even out hours for benefits. Don't over schedule during season then under schedule on off season. This objective is instilled to limit benefits to employees
The store employees are the reason to stay
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2018
The corporate office doesn’t care about the team members just about the numbers. Th company sees that stores are struggle to hold it employees and have trouble finding management however they keep pushing for the current employees to do more and more without compensation or gratitude
Overall, Great Experience!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INSeptember 7, 2018
The store that I worked in was absolutely wonderful, and it was mostly due to our great store manager. The company can set their expectations too high with the amount of resources they give stores, but overall I would recommend Kirkland's. Their training is thorough, the company's culture is incredibly positive, and opportunity for advancement is easy to come by if you're a hard worker. This was the best retail job I ever had!
Pros
Positive and supportive management, flexible hours, good employee discount
Cons
Hardly any full-time positions available, comparitively low pay
Bad Company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Canton, GAMay 30, 2018
I worked at Kirkland's for almost two years. The only reason I stayed at Kirkland's was that I loved the people I worked with. Once my manager left, I decided to leave as well. There are no benefits of working at Kirkland's. The pay is minimum with a great amount of work and dedication involved. I would not suggest working at Kirkland's.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Small Pay
Poorly run and managed
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAJanuary 14, 2019
No opportunity for advancement. Spent three years of my life at this company as an Assistant Manager. 3-4 times the Store Manager and Senior Assistant Manager had to be replaced and each time the company hired someone new instead of promoting the staff that already had knowledge of the job. Employees were never even given the chance to apply or interview for those promotions. Company does not like to promote from within.

I was asked on multiple occasions to clock out and continue working.

Favoritism is a HUGE problem here.

Very disorganized. Seems the Store Manager has NO CLUE what her job description entails or how to properly “manage” a store.

Hours are hard to come by. Associates saw as little as 4 hours per week. At most, employees were scheduled 16 hours.
Great company to work as a team and with autonomy. Grow your skills daily.
Account Reconciliation Specialist/Sales Auditor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 1, 2019
The hours are very flexible. As long as you're in by 10:00 and work you're full 8 hours, departments approve. I learned so much about ERP, gained new MS office skills, and was given the opportunity to be our department lead for a company wide initiative. The management is very friendly and are skilled at adapting their management style to different temperaments of employees. The culture is laid back. The dress code is "wear what you feel comfortable in." It's common to see sneakers, jeans, and a graphic T. They are very serious about ensuring that their employees have a well balanced work and personal life and are okay with employees working from home when needed. The hardest part of the job was often the most enjoyable. The company has recently gone all digital and with all the new software comes a lot of bugs. They can all be solved, but until they are, it can be a mess. Finding the problem, fixing it, and being recognized for your work (supervisor always gave me full credit to her superiors) is extremely gratifying.
Pros
Work from home, 8 PTO days, Laid back work environment, Flexible management styles, Opportunities for advancement, Opportunities to try different departments
Cons
Finance Dept: Slow in first of period, Very busy at end of period
not What it’s cracked to be.
Sales associate. (Former Employee) –  Loud KyNovember 3, 2018
Ultimately this is a warehouse/ sales job. It pays very little and the amount of work that is expected is extreme. You must climbs very tall ladders/ carry very heavy products/ upsale to every customer that comes into the store/ clean restrooms/ perform first aid. This job pays very little compared to what is expected from you. You are not allowed to say “can I help you find something” because the customer is not looking for milk the manager says. Really? They may be looking for lamps or pillows. This job is not worth the pay. I would not recommend it to anyone especially under the current management. I was told there wasn’t a sales quota but yet you have to sale to every customer. And there the constant pressure of keeping up the numbers for the store.
Pros
Discount but you can’t use it on clearance
Cons
Everything else
Fast-paced and highly organized
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 16, 2018
Operations and store appearance are the heart and soul of this company and as an Assistant Manager, you are expected on a daily basis to maintain visual standards and ensure safety practices and store policies are being followed while providing exemplary customer service. Management was very stern and deadline-oriented with a sense of urgency and attention to detail. The hardest part of the job was managing operations and shipment in a fluid and organized fashion with limited space availability along with limited time availability to complete the task coupled with customer service prioritization while completing said task. Enjoyable parts include helping customers find appropriate decor solutions while suggesting and showing other products you personally find interesting or other items that pair well with what the customer is interested in.
Pros
Laid-Back Sales Floor Environment
Cons
Operations and backroom management
Fast pace, but understanding managers.
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALNovember 7, 2018
I worked for kirkland's in the stock room, unloading the delivery truck that came each week and maintained the store the other days. In the last few days of my employment, however i got the feeling that i was about to be moved to a cashier position from the stock room attendant, as management saw it was a much better fit for me and that i could be a great asset there, but the Halloween rush was about to start and there was not enough time for the cross training. Fortunately, the managers were understanding and friendly, so we parted on good terms.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkland's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight