Kirkland's Employee Reviews

Found 1,007 reviews matching the search See all 1,009 reviews
a stressful place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  TXNovember 17, 2018
The company does not support their employees or are interested in helping their advancement with the company. The employees do not matter to upper management and training is non existent at store level.
Stocker, cashier (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 16, 2018
Working at kirklands is a designers dream. Sadly i was not one. I enjoyed the people i worked with. My boss at the time was very flexible with me when i was working two jobs. Its a great place to have house ideas, and i didn't mind the early morning labor to unload product. It helped me build character and there was always something to do or help with.
Pros
flexible if you already have a job already, easy to understand
Cons
pay if looking for long term.
Fast-paced and highly organized
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 16, 2018
Operations and store appearance are the heart and soul of this company and as an Assistant Manager, you are expected on a daily basis to maintain visual standards and ensure safety practices and store policies are being followed while providing exemplary customer service. Management was very stern and deadline-oriented with a sense of urgency and attention to detail. The hardest part of the job was managing operations and shipment in a fluid and organized fashion with limited space availability along with limited time availability to complete the task coupled with customer service prioritization while completing said task. Enjoyable parts include helping customers find appropriate decor solutions while suggesting and showing other products you personally find interesting or other items that pair well with what the customer is interested in.
Pros
Laid-Back Sales Floor Environment
Cons
Operations and backroom management
Good seasonal job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 13, 2018
I just needed a seasonal job and it was the perfect job for that. I enjoyed working when it was In the busy season, once it slowed down is when it got boring
Pros
Great people
Cons
Slow
Poor Management and Training
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 13, 2018
Worked only a few days was told I would work only 4 hours a day which turned into 6 (not what I wanted). Staff was very nice and helpful but no one was totally aware of what was going on as manager did not offer training or instructions equally. Manager is very friendly and cordial to customers but totally condescending to employees. I worked at Holiday time and back room was so overcrowded with products that it was dangerous. Plus expected to clean bathrooms!!!
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CANovember 13, 2018
Kirkland’s is a face paced retailer. The company, corporate, as a entirety offers lots of employee support. Overall, Kirkland’s is a excellent company.
Not great
ASSISTANT MANAGER/KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, Tx and Little Rock, ArNovember 11, 2018
A typical day at Kirkland's is usually busy and customer focused. I have learned a lot about managing and running a business. The hardest paty about the job is trying to live on the pay. It is just not enough. Especially, compared to other businesses.
Pros
Family type work environment
Cons
Not enough pay/benefits
Busy, yet fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greece, NYNovember 9, 2018
Enjoyed working here. Located in Greece Ridge Mall. Store was very busy most of the time, which I like. All my co workers were very helpful and friendly. Management very knowledgeable and helpful. Very accommodating with scheduling, especially if you had another job or children.
Pros
Staff is very helpful and accommodating with scheduling. Very friendly group of people to work with.
Cons
Was not given sufficient notice of store closing. Had to scramble to find alternative employment.
ok
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 8, 2018
overall the job was ok but not enough pay for all the lifting and climbing. doing set up And no one seem to have direction doing anything on there own with out a manger tell them. I think the pay should be a leas t
Pros
discount
Cons
pay pay pay not enough
Fast pace, but understanding managers.
Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALNovember 7, 2018
I worked for kirkland's in the stock room, unloading the delivery truck that came each week and maintained the store the other days. In the last few days of my employment, however i got the feeling that i was about to be moved to a cashier position from the stock room attendant, as management saw it was a much better fit for me and that i could be a great asset there, but the Halloween rush was about to start and there was not enough time for the cross training. Fortunately, the managers were understanding and friendly, so we parted on good terms.
Not bad place
3rd Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for Kirklands. It was a fun place with some pretty awesome product to sell. It was annoying for having to constantly re-merchandise sections of the store and the over flow of stock was annoying as well since our backroom was so full all the time.
Nope!
Assistant manager part time (Former Employee) –  Durham NCNovember 6, 2018
I had a full time job and school, I wanted Kirkland's as a second part time job. They knew that I had both. Once I was hired on and worked 3 days I told them I had school next semester and my availability might change again. They told me that their schedule must come first above anything else, even my school schedule. I was given the choice of working there or school. Needless to say I chose school. I am completely upset with this whole situation, not only did they loose an employee they lost a customer.
Pros
Discount
Cons
not What it’s cracked to be.
Sales associate. (Former Employee) –  Loud KyNovember 3, 2018
Ultimately this is a warehouse/ sales job. It pays very little and the amount of work that is expected is extreme. You must climbs very tall ladders/ carry very heavy products/ upsale to every customer that comes into the store/ clean restrooms/ perform first aid. This job pays very little compared to what is expected from you. You are not allowed to say “can I help you find something” because the customer is not looking for milk the manager says. Really? They may be looking for lamps or pillows. This job is not worth the pay. I would not recommend it to anyone especially under the current management. I was told there wasn’t a sales quota but yet you have to sale to every customer. And there the constant pressure of keeping up the numbers for the store.
Pros
Discount but you can’t use it on clearance
Cons
Everything else
Relaxed, calm environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CANovember 1, 2018
The Kirkland's that I worked at was on the smaller side, so it did make it difficult to do work and complete tasks. If something was asked of the manager or supervisor, it was usually done right away and could be done, most of the time, by one person.
I did learn how to decorate spaces and what smells and scents would work well with a certain type of room if it had a design inspiration. I learned how to help pick textures, colors, and styles for a customer; whether the space was as small as a bathroom or if they were decorating their entire living room.
The management there did seem non-approachable at times. At other times it seemed like there was favoritism with certain employees.
Because of the size and location, it was a slow-paced environment. It was nice, but oftentimes very boring. Because of the small size, when a manager asked an employee to do something, it got done right away. When I would ask for something to do by a manager, they would almost always tell me to "find something to do". When I would go and try to help another employee with something they would say they didn't need help with it. They were nice people, but it was hard to work with them. The manager gave hours to people depending on how busy you were, but if everything was already done or you couldn't help someone with anything, you wouldn't look, or be, very busy, so you could potentiality end up only getting 8 hours a week.
The thing I did enjoy the most was they did have a good training program, and the other employees were friendly.
Pros
Calm and soothing environment (due to the scented candles and sachets)
Cons
Not enough hours; hard to find things to do and to keep busy.
Fun environment that can teach many skills
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 29, 2018
This is a decent workplace with low pressure sales. A typical day is client interactions with stocking the shelves. My co-workers were great to work with and the management was nice.
Kirkland's was amazing
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAOctober 25, 2018
Kirkland's always smelled very good, the store is presented in such a creative and collaborative manner. I learned a lot about home decor while i was working there, The hardest part of the job was honestly getting things from the stock room. The most enjoyable part of my job was welcoming every person who walked through the door.
Relaxed
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNOctober 23, 2018
It was a quite relaxed setting for me. It can be slow paced yet quick paced at the same time. You have many opportunities for overtime and new skills. However, drama was a no go for me.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Drama
Loved it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCOctober 21, 2018
Kirklands was a great experience, and the managers were very nice. The only issue I had, was the unrealistic expectations of selling products. I worked in one of the micro stores, and we tried our best to sell products, but we were right next to a restaurant. So people would just walk in to look around while waiting for a table. If they didn't buy anything, we would get in trouble. Even if we tried to push them to buy something.
Temp position
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXOctober 19, 2018
It was only a holiday temporary position. I enjoyed working there: co-workers and the atmosphere. We did get a store discount on items purchased, which I enjoyed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
poor pay
Fast paced and fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 15, 2018
The work environment at kirklands was fast paced at times but very enjoyable. Customers, management, and coworkers were very friendly. A typical day at Kirklands consisted of learning new deals and offers going on in the store that day. Answering questions and checking out customers and making sure they were satisfied, and keeping the store in great condition.
Pros
Great management and coworkers
Cons
No solid schedules

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkland's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight