Kirkland & Ellis LLP

Kirkland & Ellis LLP Employee Reviews

United States75 reviews
Job work balance is good. Good compensation . Good job culture. So good work balance, good compensation and good job culture. This is the end of my review.
Great working experience
My experience was positive. Colleagues made me feel welcome and comfortable in a new environment. Guidance was readily available and graciously provided as needed.
Micromanagement to the max
In my dept, the staff were micromanaged, every email checked, every booking checked. There was no trust and you were never complimented, only heard complaints. It was incredibly stressful and had a terrible work/life balance. There was a high turnover rate, new people were constantly being trained. Because of the high turnover rate, you consistently get asked to work over time. You also get asked to work on holidays and the weekends.

The good- benefits. You will never hear one complaint about the benefits package here. The location, the view, everything is state of the art. I think the best thing about the place was the view.

Managers in different departments were wonderful to interact with, I cannot say anything bad about other departments.
Not a good fit for me.
Many are overworked. Not a good life work balance. Frequent management turnover. The upside is there are a few great people to work with, if you're lucky.
Exercise caution
Management when I was there was inconsistent with their expectations. Chicago and New York were on totally different pages. Office Administrator wasnt in touch with the daily occurences of the department .
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Stressful, draining burnout job
Be prepared to not have a life outside of Kirkland. A typical workday ends after expected overtime. Management is fully aware of all problems, but decides to ignore them and take no steps or action to fix any issue in the department. The overall team is great and very helpful. However, the workplace is toxic and the job is extremely thankless and unfulfilling.
Amazing
The people in the office were all very friendly and professional. If there was a project everyone would get on board and help one another. It was a real family environment.
Good at first, but dwindling return
First starting off, Kirkland & Ellis seemed like a great place to work. Free snacks, staff in generally friendly. I started off with a great team, and we all advanced into different roles. Across the board, I learned there is a general consensus that there is a lack of leadership among mid level management. The culture is not great, but also not terrible. Most veteran staff members are aware they are being underpaid due to standard practice and there is a wide culture gap between attorneys and staff. Which has also been amplified by recent articles that stated many Partners are receiving million dollar bonus mid-year and most staff are lucky to receive an annual increase even if they put in the time and work beyond what is expected of them.

Generally, the culture for this office has become fairly toxic due to the recent choices the firm has made to cut short spending on staff and widen the divide between them and the attorneys. The culture is now a revolving door as once someone gets training they are able to move into a new firm or start up shortly and get paid much more that Kirkland could offer.
I still work there
Best place to work. I am still working here. Have great benefits and training classes. Great staff and perks. Not far from Penn Station. Subway right under building.
Grade A
I worked at Kirkland for 5+ years and it was truly a top notch company to work, hands down. They’re number one for a reason. I wouldn’t trade my experience for the world, and if they had an opening for my new career field, I would go back in a heartbeat. You cannot choose your managers but as long as you work hard with the tools you’re given, you can’t go wrong here. The culture was so friendly and welcoming. Compensation and perks were the icing on the cake.
Pros
Company Perks, Employee Benefits, Flexibility in Hours
Cons
SOME department managers could be better.
Good
Very poor management at the Houston Office. People don’t know their job. The good old boy system in place, not how well you do the job. Need a better H/R department in place some one that knows the job and not try to be friends.
Demanding yet satisfying work environment
Kirkland is full of exceptionally talented individuals. Although the work environment can be extremely demanding, it never appeared as though any of the employees were undervalued. Expectations are high, but every assignment felt meaningful and significant.
An ideal work environment
As an intern at Kirkland and Ellis LLP I felt very comfortable. The first week of work consisted of me shadowing one of the full-time IT employees in order to get a handle on what to expect when eventually working on tasks alone. I always felt welcomed and safe, but most importantly, I felt that I had many skilled coworkers who would gladly answer questions if I had them. Working at Kirkland and Ellis LLP provided me with an amazing opportunity to work with many talented people, and it was a privilege to learn many other skills that I would not have expected to learn during my internship. I learned to image desktops and laptops, and I was taught many troubleshooting techniques which helped make work easier.The job itself was quiet difficult at first, but like any job, I was able to catch on. That's not to say that the job became easy because working in IT as an intern I was met with many issues that I had not expected to encounter. Luckily, with some guidance from my more experienced coworkers I was able to resolve those unexpected issues I came across.
Pros
Many learning opportunists, free breakfasts or lunches from time to time, an hour lunch break, access to the gym located in building
Lacks Diversity in Attorneys & Staff
Very collaborative firm, considering it's size. However, it lacks racial diversity on the attorney and staff side across offices, and it's very difficult to advance. Hard work and efficiency are often times rewarded with more work, and little to no monetary recognition. Which results in very little work-life balance. Go for it if you're fresh out of school with minimal responsibilities, and need the experience.
Pros
Free breakfast daily
Cons
very long hours daily, including weekends
Good Firm
Worked for wonderful partners and associate attorneys. Fast working environment with excellent training classes, you always felt ahead of the curve and confident with training they provided.
Poor Management Good Money
Management sucks. Leadership is horrible and has been there for so long, but no one will ever get fired. Nothing will change the company culture until they get rid of the bad apples.
Great Learning Experience
Kirkland was a great learning experience. I felt surrounded by intelligent people and it pushed me to be my sharpest self. There were a lot of friendly and helpful people at the Firm.
Great place to work when first hired
This was a great place to work when I was hired in, after 19 years with this company the management changed and the job environment took a nose dive,.
Great Place to Work and Advance
Been here over 15 years. Great place to advance if you are willing to work hard. You can be recognized and rewarded. Excellent benefits and paid time off.
Great place to work!
I established my career at Kirkland & Ellis LLP. I have worked at many "Big Law" firms, and feel that Kirkland is one of the best. The environment is fast paced, but the people are very supportive and professional.
Good Working Environment
Provides good benefits and competitive pay for Employees.
Flexible work schedules. Onsite gym. Free breakfast

Advancement is limited in some arears.
Pros
Provides a good flexible working environment
Cons
Does not provide opportunities for advancements in certain departments
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight