KITSAP HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

Enjoyable, busy place with lots of work to keep you busy.
Volunteer as dog walker, dog grooming, cat cuddler (Current Employee) –  Poulsbo, WAAugust 21, 2017
As a volunteer at Kitsap Humane Society your hours are your own but there are specific rules to follow. I only volunteer for about two hours once a week, cleaning dog kennels and helping to walk the dogs so that they get out of their kennels for breaks as needed. This can sometimes be really difficult to do as some dogs do not do very well in the shelter.
I really enjoy working with the dogs and the other volunteers.
Pros
You only need to come in on the days/times you want.
Cons
Too many dogs to work with and not enough volunteers to help out.
Fun place to work but is sad to see animals leave
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJuly 8, 2017
The people that I work with are very nice and helpful when I needed help as well as understanding when I didn't know what to do for something. There are many opportunities to be trained on different things.
Pros
Animal lovers dream
Cons
attatchment to animals leaving
It was fun fostering kittens, they are so cute.
Fostering Kittens (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAMarch 26, 2017
My mom was the main person volunteering there due to my age at the time (not yet 18), although helping her with the kittens was really fun; they're all so cute.
Pros
cute kittens
Cons
litter boxes
productive and fun workplace
Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAMay 18, 2016
I volunteered for months, but participated in work like jobs. Volunteers walk dogs but i had done admissions/intake and customer service. My days were busy and productive, you need to be hardworking and consistent. The hardest part on this job is sometimes a customer will try and it's hard to deal. Although, it becomes a stressful workplace sometimes, you begin to ask for help and realize that the staff are super nice and happy to help.
Pros
positive workplace
Awesome Job
Medical Administrate Assistant (Former Employee) –  9167 Dickey RdNovember 3, 2015
I loved working there even though it was for a little while. I was going for my externship but I learned so much while being there. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
Pros
Friendly, fast paste, learned many skills there
Cons
Not very organized in their filing system and communication with other departments isn't great.
If you love animals this is the place to be
Creative Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WASeptember 8, 2015
I worked as the Creative Marketing Associate at Kitsap Humane Society for about a year. It was a fun and challenging job. I created brochures and posters for the Shelter and Marketing collateral for the Marketing and Development department. The hardest part of this job was having to say goodbye to some of the awesome people that I have met. The most enjoyable times was having lunch with my co-workers.
Pros
I got to play with all the adorable adoptable pets
Cons
great people and animals - typical non profit struggles
LEAD CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAAugust 7, 2015
This shelter is one of the most successful in the country. It has the typical non-profit struggles (low staff, low budget, trouble retaining staff). It is constantly packed which is great for the animals but it is very taxing on the staff and sometimes customers. Great shelter with normal shelter issues.
Pros
passionate staff & volunteers, something new everyday
Cons
minimal compensation, emotionally draining at times
I love helping animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAApril 8, 2015
Animals are very dear to my heart, so working here was very important ot me.
This was my first expereince working . I enjoyed the environmnet and most of all giving back to my community while helping animals.
Pros
I love animals.
Cons
It didnt feel like work.
loveing an caring to animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAApril 12, 2014
it was fun working with the animals there I had lots of fun being around then playing with them an even taking care of them. the best part about it I get to walk the dogs/puppies be with the cats/kittens an I did laundry, dishes, an clean the kennels for the dogs an the kennels for the cats I help put new blankets in for the cats that are coming in an I help get the kennels ready for the dogs that come in I also help out if someone is there to adopt a dogs so they can see what they are like and how they act towed me.
Good
Volunteer Work at Kitsap Humane Society (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMarch 19, 2014
Fun gaining experince and working with animails and being able to help out.
Pros
lunch
Cons
healthcare
Fast paced
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJuly 22, 2013
I loved my position at the Kitsap Humane Society! It was exciting and fast paced. It felt good to do something for homeless and abandoned animals.
Pros
Working with animals
Great opportunity for training
Director Of Operations (Former Employee) –  Silverdale, WAFebruary 1, 2013
Had a wonderful tenure here at KHS, after leaving organization many changes occured. The organization is more that 100 years old and a great place to work!
Pros
excellent for training
Cons
no career
fun volunteer place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WASeptember 2, 2012
I volunteered her with my mother and i loved taking care of the animals.