Kleinfelder Employee Reviews

A good place to grow your career
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2019
Kleinfelder is a place for teamwork. We work hard and play hard as a team. Management is supportive if you show you are giving your best effort. Folks who just want to coast will struggle here, we are a performance driven organization.
Pros
good culture, teamwork, face paced, gives back to community
Amazing
Staff Professional (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX and Tulsa, OKJanuary 9, 2019
I worked for Kleinfelder for 3.5 years and loved it. A lot of flexibility to learn at your own pace and in your own direction. Offices all over that allow for advancement and relation at need.
Decent work place
SENIOR GIS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 4, 2019
Decent work place. We are engineers, scientists, and construction professionals providing solutions that improve our clients’ transportation, water, energy, and other private infrastructure. Kleinfelder is an integrated, cross-disciplinary team of bright, curious, innovative problem-solvers dedicated to doing the right thing every day, on every project.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
managment poor
I enjoyed my time at Kleinfelder
Program Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 31, 2018
Kleinfelder is a good solid company. They have a great staff of young engineers and scientist. When I worked there they were employee owned but have since been sold. There was a senior leadership change which seemed to be working really well.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Was having trouble with overhead costs and staffing
Kleinfelder
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJNovember 30, 2018
Good place to work, good management on the projects I worked on. I would recommend this company to others. Lots of offices and opportunities to latch onto.
Not in office. In the field.
Soil & Concrete Field Tester (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 23, 2018
Great boss, Bad Organization for scheduling working hours. Work was never consistent. They had no time frame for sleeping in between jobs. A couple people had a Problem doing there job.
Worst management ever- inept and unprofessional
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 12, 2018
Hired as a Mid Level Inspector, worked like a dog performing testing. When I asked about why, was told it would only be for a little while. The job description mentioned nothing about testing. Management does not care about their employees. Management does not have a clue about how construction works. They do not give you the proper materials to do your job. Your manager will walk right by you and not acknowledge or say anything to you. The Denver, Pueblo and Colorado Springs offices have the highest turnover rate I have ever seen. People don’t quit their jobs because they hate their jobs- they quit because of bad management
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of
Very busy environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 28, 2018
My manager was great to work with. Co-workers friendly and enjoyed my employment with them. Until the economy went bad and was let go. But it was great while it lasted
Lack of Work
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2018
The company is very hierarcial and top heavy. If you are entry to nearly mid level and not an engineer, don't expect to be given work. It's up to you to obtain work and constantly reach out to people to keep your head above water. If other offices are not willing to spread out their work to you, then it looks bad on you and your utilization. It's a shame that other offices aren't willing to share work because they just want to keep their own teams busy...when the team you're working with isn't busy.

What I've learned working here is that you constantly need to follow up with people, because if you don't you won't get anywhere.
Pros
Good benefits, lunches provided during meetings, people are friendly, good work/life balance
An employee-owned company where one where one can decide one's career path
Staff Professional II, Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 2, 2018
I personally have a great balance between field work and office work as a mid-level employee. I've been reimbursed for numerous trainings by Kleinfelder. Kleinfelder's management works hard to keep people billable during downturns rather than firing them. Kleinfelder has about 2,000 employees which makes it flexible to pursue new avenues but more sensitive to market fluctuations. The most enjoyable part of my job has been collaborating with some truly brilliant people and learning from them.
Pros
Employee ownership: everyone has skin in the game
Cons
Smaller-sized company with some growing pains.
Fun and Collaborative
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT/COLLECTIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 27, 2018
When I worked at Kleinfelder, it was a fun and challenging workplace with a very collaborative team environment that made it an enjoyable place to work.
Worst management I ever worked for.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 30, 2018
The Pueblo office is the worst. If you are looking for employment there, don't. All they care about are billable hours. Lots of shoddy equipment and the lab is a disaster area. The office manager is terrible. No direction at all. Compensation is horrible. Benefits are marginal. If I could I would give it a zero star rating.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Cons
Everything else
fulfilling career
Kal-Co, Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 16, 2018
It was exciting to be part of The Team; assisting bringing projects to completion, learning the nuances of materials testing, being surrounded by some of the best minds in various disciplines of the engineering firm.
Pros
Cross departemental support, good communications, reliable infrastructure.
Cons
Corporate restructure/refocus, downsizing.
Close knit offices
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2018
The only thing that is nice about working there was all of the close friends and colleagues that were made through all of the grueling weeks and hours of field work. Management does not seem interested in helping you progress your career. They would like to take the easier route and keep you in a position that you are good at instead of hiring to backfill to allow their employees to progress up the ladder.
Pros
the people
Cons
weekly travel, long hours on salary, no upward progression, lower paying than industry
Not enough work, part time.
Soil Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 8, 2018
Needed more working works than they could give. Only working me part time. Needed to make more money. Nice people great place to work. Would go back. Very good company to work for.
Great Company.
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 26, 2018
Great company, culture and people. Ample opportunity to learn new skills and to promote within various regions. Many employees are more that 10 years in tenure.
Was fine
Field Technician II (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 21, 2018
Good work that gets you in the outdoors. Reasonable pay for the job. I enjoyed my coworkers and the time I spent working on my project for Kleinfelder.
great job
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 24, 2018
A great job for inspector/ engineer growth. Exciting projects make one look forward to going to work. Except one thing--random, long hours. That's the way of the business.
Uncertain future under new Corporate management
Environmental Program Manager & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJFebruary 18, 2018
Company is under new management since 2017 but poor performance by some leadership continues to affect bottom line. Benefit reductions have not been good, and not always tranparent.
The New England offices are mostly Civil Engineering now.
SCADA Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 31, 2018
The New England offices are mostly Civil Engineering now.
The Energy Department was being phased out when I left.
There is some Water/Wastewater work in Massachusetts.