Kleinfelder Employee Reviews

Not in office. In the field.
Soil & Concrete Field Tester (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 23, 2018
Great boss, Bad Organization for scheduling working hours. Work was never consistent. They had no time frame for sleeping in between jobs. A couple people had a Problem doing there job.
Worst management ever- inept and unprofessional
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 12, 2018
Hired as a Mid Level Inspector, worked like a dog performing testing. When I asked about why, was told it would only be for a little while. The job description mentioned nothing about testing. Management does not care about their employees. Management does not have a clue about how construction works. They do not give you the proper materials to do your job. Your manager will walk right by you and not acknowledge or say anything to you. The Denver, Pueblo and Colorado Springs offices have the highest turnover rate I have ever seen. People don’t quit their jobs because they hate their jobs- they quit because of bad management
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of
Lack of Work
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2018
The company is very hierarcial and top heavy. If you are entry to nearly mid level and not an engineer, don't expect to be given work. It's up to you to obtain work and constantly reach out to people to keep your head above water. If other offices are not willing to spread out their work to you, then it looks bad on you and your utilization. It's a shame that other offices aren't willing to share work because they just want to keep their own teams busy...when the team you're working with isn't busy.

What I've learned working here is that you constantly need to follow up with people, because if you don't you won't get anywhere.
Pros
Good benefits, lunches provided during meetings, people are friendly, good work/life balance
An employee-owned company where one where one can decide one's career path
Staff Professional II, Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 2, 2018
I personally have a great balance between field work and office work as a mid-level employee. I've been reimbursed for numerous trainings by Kleinfelder. Kleinfelder's management works hard to keep people billable during downturns rather than firing them. Kleinfelder has about 2,000 employees which makes it flexible to pursue new avenues but more sensitive to market fluctuations. The most enjoyable part of my job has been collaborating with some truly brilliant people and learning from them.
Pros
Employee ownership: everyone has skin in the game
Cons
Smaller-sized company with some growing pains.
Fun and Collaborative
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT/COLLECTIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 27, 2018
When I worked at Kleinfelder, it was a fun and challenging workplace with a very collaborative team environment that made it an enjoyable place to work.
Worst management I ever worked for.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 30, 2018
The Pueblo office is the worst. If you are looking for employment there, don't. All they care about are billable hours. Lots of shoddy equipment and the lab is a disaster area. The office manager is terrible. No direction at all. Compensation is horrible. Benefits are marginal. If I could I would give it a zero star rating.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Cons
Everything else
fulfilling career
Kal-Co, Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 16, 2018
It was exciting to be part of The Team; assisting bringing projects to completion, learning the nuances of materials testing, being surrounded by some of the best minds in various disciplines of the engineering firm.
Pros
Cross departemental support, good communications, reliable infrastructure.
Cons
Corporate restructure/refocus, downsizing.
Close knit offices
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2018
The only thing that is nice about working there was all of the close friends and colleagues that were made through all of the grueling weeks and hours of field work. Management does not seem interested in helping you progress your career. They would like to take the easier route and keep you in a position that you are good at instead of hiring to backfill to allow their employees to progress up the ladder.
Pros
the people
Cons
weekly travel, long hours on salary, no upward progression, lower paying than industry
Not enough work, part time.
Soil Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 8, 2018
Needed more working works than they could give. Only working me part time. Needed to make more money. Nice people great place to work. Would go back. Very good company to work for.
Great Company.
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 26, 2018
Great company, culture and people. Ample opportunity to learn new skills and to promote within various regions. Many employees are more that 10 years in tenure.
Was fine
Field Technician II (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 21, 2018
Good work that gets you in the outdoors. Reasonable pay for the job. I enjoyed my coworkers and the time I spent working on my project for Kleinfelder.
great job
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 24, 2018
A great job for inspector/ engineer growth. Exciting projects make one look forward to going to work. Except one thing--random, long hours. That's the way of the business.
Uncertain future under new Corporate management
Environmental Program Manager & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJFebruary 18, 2018
Company is under new management since 2017 but poor performance by some leadership continues to affect bottom line. Benefit reductions have not been good, and not always tranparent.
The New England offices are mostly Civil Engineering now.
SCADA Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 31, 2018
The New England offices are mostly Civil Engineering now.
The Energy Department was being phased out when I left.
There is some Water/Wastewater work in Massachusetts.
Helpful staff
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Some very friendly and helpful individuals in the field office. The office location was convenient - close to home and situated in central Suffolk county - near major roads.
Its a good place to start a career but a horrible place for IT management and career advancement
IT technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 13, 2018
Its a good place to start a career but a horrible place for IT individual to be in, IT management changes things on a daily basis, very unstructured environment, and definitely not a place for career advancement.
Great company with good environment
Geotechnical Intern (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAJanuary 10, 2018
Great time spent at Kleinfelder. Good mix of lab work, field work, and design work. Very good internal development mechanisms and pathways for advancement.
Kleinfelder is a good employer
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 14, 2017
I work full-time for Kleinfelder. My day is typically very busy, but I do not feel overwhelmed. I have strong support from my direct supervisor and our upper management is great. I have tools needed to be successful in my position, I have a say in what tools I need. I enjoy my position and working for Kleinfelder very much. The team of people I work with directly are fantastic and each brings a different skill set to the team so we are able to learn from each other. I also greatly enjoy working with the people in the organization that are not directly part of my team. There is a high level of respect among the staff.
Pros
flexible, telecommute when needed, communication, interesting, challenging
Cons
No cons from me at this time
As an SME I had little interaction with staff from other diciplines mostly fielded questions from all areas of country.
Senior Consultant, Demolition Services (Former Employee) –  Exton, PASeptember 27, 2017
I worked we a lot of very nice,bright young people who were very capable.Management as a whole were not very knowledgable about my area of expertise and therefore spent little or no time informing the other segments of the business nationwide of this capability.
Good overall Engineering Contract work, rigid and hierarchical company culture/structure.
Staff Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 26, 2017
The company does good engineering work overall and gets many good contracts. The culture is very rigid, hierarchical, and top heavy. Potential a great place for middle manager / executive but difficult for entry level.