Kmart

Kmart insights

Based on 2,181 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Great people

Loved my fellow associates and the customers. Everyone in the store worked together to get projects done in a timely manner. Worked as a team to unload trucks and place merchandise.

Pros

Insurance

Cons

Not enough people working on sales floor

Poor corporate management

Wages frozen for 10 out of 20 years I worked there. Poor managementCompany never invested money into stores or employeesCompany did not engage employeesBenefits reducedExtremely under budgeted on labor to run a store

Cons

Low pay. After 20 years was only making $13 an hour

It was a fine job

company is closed the feed back is point less and you shouldnt force people to talk about companies they used to work for if they do not wish to speak on them

Wonderful Manager and employees

The manager I had the pleasure to work with was very wonderful and family oriented and gave his employees 100% of his attention and was very kind and open to hearing anything our customers wanted to talk about. The employees i worked with were very self sufficient and undeniably knowledgeable and team players.

Kmart

I learned so much. I was able to move up in the store really quickly. What I couldn't find out from an employee they had an amazing training system. I took it upon myself to learn as much as possible with the tools that were provided to me. Which in turn allowed me to move up in the company.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Kmart gave me opportunities, I never would have got anywhere else.

I learned so much from working at Kmart. The management team was always encouraging associates to learn more. The on the job training I've got, has opened alot of doors for my career.

Pros

Management Team is great to work with

Cons

Holidays can be rough in retail

Fun place to work.

The employees make this job great. They expect a lot from their employees with minimal pay. Store management works really hard to recognize the employees and make sure they know they are doing a good job. You don't have a lot of flexibility when it comes to your schedule because they are always working short.

Fast-paced and fun - a great first job with opportunities to grow

I enjoy the work I do and the people I work with. Scheduling is flexible and the pay is acceptable. Plenty of opportunities to learn new things and expand your knowledge in retail.

Kmart was about customer service

Kmart was a great place to work. CEO"s bankrupt company but they got big bonuses. Some managers were not consistent and not team players.Associates had not received raises in over 5 years which in some what brought the morale down.

Pros

Try to instill a Fun zone fir associates

Cons

Insurance expenses went up

Good work environment

Compensation was poor Associates great to work with Enjoyed interviewing and meeting new people Enjoyed orientation with new hires Liked the responsibility of weekly payroll and schedule

Pros

Family environment

Cons

Low pay

Good

Kmart is a good place to work, able work all departments, good management team. Kmart train their associates very well. Great Benefits. Good flexible hours.

A rewarding company to work for during my 36 years

Kmart has been a rewarding and exciting company to work for for almost 40 years. I have had many career opportunities fitting a work life balance. I have always felt that I have been a strong contributor in any of my jobs with the company.

Pros

Opportunity to grow with the company

Cons

Downsizing if the company

Good balance between family and work

Like the flexibility of hours so can make appointments during day hours. Our store was like a family. Gave opportunities for advancement in the store and relocating

Location out of business

Management rarely shared details about the company with the team, they focused mainly on making sure the team took care of the store. We went through a few different store managers and they each had their own style, pros and cons. In my location, they did seem to try to promote others to management in order to have them shipped out of the store instead of follow the lengthy process of having them fired from the company. This did backfire when one new assistant was reassigned to our store instead of moved.

It was a good place to work

I started as a Safety Coordinator, but the position was close, so I was interview for Human Resources position with support, and coordinating new hire. Then I was promote with my own store , in 2013 the store close.

Pros

good benefits, able to help customer and co-worker

Cons

closing strore

Many negative changes had come prior to me leaving Kmart.

Kmart was a nice place to work until they made schedule changes. Changes which were not family inclusive at all. I have not worked for Kmart in 19 years. Therefore, I can not say how they operate at this time.

Pros

Train associates in preparation for promotions.

Cons

Kmart does not offer enough payroll hours for the number of tasks needing to be completed.

Good people

Employees would do anything for each other. Management again could use some improvement. To bad they closed the store I was in or I would probably still be there

Responsible for making sure all associates are happy ,helpful and here to help our members

My day at Kmart consist of making sure all associates used the time clock to punch in and out and make sure they are paid for all hours worked. Responsible for scheduling all interviews and matching each applicant with the appropriate manager. Responsible for all compliance training making sure each associate completed all training in a timely manner. Updated and managed employee files confidentially and accurately. Responsible for all new hire orientations and onboarding duties. Answer all associates inquiries regarding policies, PTO, payroll, and any other HR related issues.

Pros

30 minute meal, Once a month we had appreciation day an bought lunch and celebrated associates birthday with a cake

Cons

Monitored breaks and meals making sure schedule was followed

I enjoyed working for this company

I learned various parts of the business and have endured great knowledge through my 28 years of work. I've met various people through my years and made great friends along the way.

Human Resources

When i first started at Kmart I started as a part time cashier, within three months of working with for the company management team liked the way i did my work.Then i was promoted to receiving manager, at that position i was put on new challenges that i had never done, unfortunately i was giving the proper training for this position since the store was short staff on employees,I still manage to put my best effort and tried to learned as i went and of course fast. After been in this position for 1yr Human Resources position had become available I was encourage to apply for that position which i did. Fearing that I didn't I was capable of taking over this position.

I enjoyed my job

Kmart was not only a job but family. I enjoyed it alot. Lots of hard working people. I would still be there if our store had not closed. I pray that the CEO will make changes.

Cons

Health care expenses, pay increases

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kmart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

5.5K

InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Kmart with

Career recommendations for Human Resources Manager

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more

Popular locations for Human Resources Manager in US