Knife River Employee Reviews

Horrible experience
Operator (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 1, 2018
I have heard that this was a great outfit to be a part of...WRONG. I secured a position with this company over the phone due to the fact that I was going to be moving my family across 3 states. Promises of 60-70 hour weeks, training, quick raises and advancement is what suckered me in. Never saw a 60 hour week, barely saw a 50 hour week, never received any training on anything other than a shovel, even though I'm an experienced operator and was hired as an operator. This company could literally do NO WORSE when it comes to who they put in management positions (foreman/ superintendent). What I experienced was the absolute worst arrogance and disrespect I have ever seen in a workplace. PERIOD. If you don't mind being treated like dirt, being belittled, being lied to, your superiors talking about you behind your back to other employees, or not being given the opportunity to do the job you were hired to do, then you'll do just fine here. If you are the type of person that will stand up for yourself and what is right, you won't last, that's a promise. Hopefully you didn't make the same mistake I did and use every cent of your savings to move your family to get involved with these snakes.
Pros
Met a couple of really good people.
Cons
Productive and fun working place
Pipe Foreman (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXOctober 15, 2018
All production, hard worker responsible
Skills, great partner with employees
Super easy to work with, good friends and good families
Access to facilities
Productive place and advancing
Prospector (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 11, 2018
Great company to work for, but the salary was not as good as it should be for the type of work that is being done. things change overnight or on short notice.
I work along and safety at times is a factor.
Pros
working various jobs, changing enviroment daily
Cons
travel, pushed to get work done
love my job
Truck driver B CDL (Current Employee) –  Coos Bay, OROctober 2, 2018
I totally enjoy my job but the immediate supervisors are like children in my division of the company. The upper management will do something about it but they immediate supervisor will just find a different way to pick at me.
Pros
I totally enjoy my job and co workers and the benifits are great
Cons
immediate suporvise in my devision are childish
Worst manager ive ever worked for :(
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Salem orSeptember 26, 2018
Typical day at work is 12 hours long
Poor training
Manager is fire happy
Unfortunatley the workplace culture is ran by fear of being fired
Hardest part of the job is following strict policy.
Some of the crew are nice people, most of them are new being that the older experienced people have been ran off.

Theres probably better employers out there for this industry.
Pros
Work and eat your lunch at the same time.
Cons
Breaks are frowned upon harshly.
TRAFFIC CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYSeptember 26, 2018
I would work for this company again for sure. They are all about safety first and are there to help whenever someone needs it. i learned a lot of things during my work there and they even had me crosstraining.
benefits
Cons
short breaks if any, long hours, out of town work too
Get fired very easily
SALEM production (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 20, 2018
A job is a "mutual agreement" between the employee and the employer. Employee provides their time and skill to help this particular company make money in their respected trade for an agreed upon wage.
(I personally would expect "some" level of respect for this agreement)

Unfortunatley knife rivers management doesnt respect your commitment and delivers a more aggresive territorial approach.

Example: You dont work for knife river, You work for the management of Knife river. You will be grateful to work here. If you make any mistakes we will gladly fire you and easily replace you!
Regardless of your skill level and time spent with the company. Regardless if you have a familly, regardless if your mistake was small or big. However we do regard that if you pose a threat due to being intelligent than your margin for error gets smaller.

Conclusion: In order for management to secure their title and pay they must strike down the up and coming workers through legal means to make sure they dont evolve with the company and rise up to be threatful of their position, rank, and pay grade.

This is Knife river in the willamette valley.

Typical day is 12 hours
I learned to listen
Management^
culture^
Hardest part of job ^
I did enjoy my coworkers.

Cheers!
Pros
Maybe your related to a manager
Cons
We are right and you are wrong culture.
Productive friendly enviroment
Yard person /driver (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 17, 2018
Decent wages , friendly environment.
Advancement opportunities.i enjoy delivering parts to various job sites, they take care of there employees. I am welcome to return if I would like. I why like to further my career as a driver / laborer at this time.
Pros
Advancement opertunities
Cons
Not snuff hours
Male Dominant enviorment
Mixer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Beaumont TxSeptember 1, 2018
I was let go an thrown away in a week! I requested to have a few hours off to enroll my special needs child in a new school which ended up taking majority of my work day. I returned to work the fowolling day too a termination. I was humiliated and shocked by the way i was being treated. Trainers here are not expirence lack of communication with upper management
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
employees has no voice, management stability is unorganized
No advancement
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDAugust 29, 2018
No matter how long you work for the company there is no advancement , if you want to get out of driving truck and put in an application for office HR will not even look at how hard you've work to change from driving truck to office , you can write up what's wrong with truck and mechanics won't fix even when getting sick from problems with truck
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hr, no advancements
Horrible company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 29, 2018
Never paid the correct hours on my time card, never received my first paycheck even after calling for 4 months strait. No breaks, and horrible working conditions. I was required to work in a dozer with no AC or allowed to open the door when it was 100 degrees outside making the dozer 110-116 and no way to get more water.
Cons
No breaks, poor working conditions, incorrect pay
There are probably better employers for this industry.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 23, 2018
In blood black nothingness began to spin. A system of cells interlinked within cells interlinked within cells interlinked within one stem. And dreadfully distinct against the dark a tall white fountain played. Cells. Have you ever been in an institution? Cells. Do they keep you in a cell? Cells.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work overtime without pay on salary
Well orangize and some moments but about their business.
Mixer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 20, 2018
Good job to have nice 401 k plan Coworkers try their best to work together to get the job done. Their like a family network.They help their employees when they can.
Pros
Overtime more money
Cons
Rain slow work lower to no pay
Good place to work if you like to chew.
Pipelayer/laborer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 16, 2018
I worked there for some time and tried a lot of positions, good place for most hard working country boys. Not personally what I'm looking for in a company.
Pros
Good $
Cons
Hard work in all conditions
Nice place to work
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTJuly 15, 2018
Knife river was a nice placed to work. Great management and company values. Was given a company vehicle and great benefits, wish they had more work lined up
Fun place to work
Ready Mix Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work if you want to meet more people and have the opportunity to see new places. Well paid job for what you do. You know that you will be busy all day and made it worth the pay.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
Knife River
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tangent, ORJuly 7, 2018
Loved working for them. Was a good company. Good management and a good work environment. All ways a new challenge to work and constant work change up to keep things interesting.
Great company
A Person (Former Employee) –  Knife RiverJuly 3, 2018
The company has it's corporate cliques, which leaves certain departments mismanaged.

Overall a great place to work though. Good benefits, good employees, and management that care for their well-being.
Pros
Pay is decent, very team oriented.
Cons
Slow to promote
High School Musical
Flow Boy Operator/ Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sauk Rapids, MN 56379June 26, 2018
The co worker there, truck driver, acted like they were 16 years old. If you are not in their little group they make the job tuff. If you are just looking to drive and make a check, this is not the place for you. If the co workers don't like that you are doing better then them, they will make you dread your days at work. The managment didn't care less what you had to do to keep your family whole. All that mattered was the truck was out making money.
Workday at Knife River
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXJune 13, 2018
A typical day at work at Knife River for myself was answering phone calls and directing them to the appropriate employee, as well as answering general questions. I was responsible for distributing Personal Protection Equipment as well as keeping inventory, folding the shirts and vests they received. Was responsible for filing employee documents, helping with orientations specifically Spanish orientations. When employees were out I would help cover their phone lines as well as some of their job duties such as taking credit card payments over the phone. Was responsible for getting massive mail outs in a timely manner. I dealt with angry customers and helped calm them down. The job itself was great and challenging due to getting different responsibilities as well as always staying busy.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Health Insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Knife River. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.3InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

1.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight