Kohl's

Based on 7,408 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Wouldn’t recommend

Overworked and underpaid, bad management, not flexible, would get mad if I called out or needed time off, only good thing was the weekly paychecks and coworkers, but a job is a job if you’re desperate go for it

Flexible schedule, bad pay

Kohl's will work with your availability, but will pay the bare minimum. It could be fun at times, but working the customer service counter could often be rough.

Pros

Flexible schedule, discount

Cons

Pay

productive and fun place to work at

good starting job to have. i had it with lots of great coworkers which made the job a lot more fun for me. it was my first job and it wasn’t a bad experience at all.

Pros

good breaks, good coworkers

Cons

decent pay

Productive work place

It ain't bad, I guess. I mean, it's retail so obviously it's not the best place to be. Apart from difficult customers and credit card goal it's manageable

The store management team is very professional and nice. The company pay scale is extremely low. The employee discount is GREAT!

A typical day working at the register was pretty nice the customer base was pretty friendly. Every now and then you will get a nasty customer. The store managers are always quick to assist and help. During the downtime, you are asked to fold the table and jean wall. The employees that I worked with were extremely helpful and fun to be around.

Pros

The employee discounts, free lunch sometimes and birthday cake for the month. The employees are loyal.

Cons

Kohl's corporate team needs to take a look at the pay scale and increase the pay to be competitive, Standing on your feet is very hard on your hips and knees, Kohls should provide stools to seat on like they do at Aldis.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

good starter job

customer service and the cashierIt was pretty good for a started job and it made it easy to go to school and work at the same time. There were two managers that were awesome and the rest were horrible.

Potential to be a great work place

There were too many managers fighting to move up the chain and enforce corporates new strict rules. One point they loved me and the next I felt undervalued. Your work ethic determines how much pressure is put on you. As a hard worker, it was frustrating when you do three times as much work as the person next to you and they get praised just for accomplishing anything while you get scolded for not doing enough.

Pros

Job security and chance for advancement

Cons

too many hours if you want part time managers are never on the same page not great pay

Seasonal worker

It’s was alright working for kohls but they call you when your off or they don’t schedule you the whole week but call you saying they need you immediately.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Short breaks 30 min Customers

You get what you put into it

Working at the corporate office can be an opportunity to get good experience, but it feels like there is not much room for growth within the company. Very easy to get stuck doing the same work if you are not self-driven

Management doesn't know what they're doing and they don't appreciate their associates for the work they do

I worked as an omni associate but I knew nearly every job in the store so when I came in I would constantly get thrown to random projects so my job was never really the same. I went out of my way for a long time to pick up the slack of others but never got recognized or appreciated by my bosses so I gave up.They don't care what you do or don't do

Good- benefits, compensationBad- need to figure out how to drive the in-store experience, foot traffic & new customer base

Co-workers were the best part of each day; major transition due to several re-organizations, still trying to recover and drive salesThe company constantly asks how to improve, but never seems to follow through long term

Great place, people shop too. Corporate makes me wonder.

Terrific place, people, prices, great place to work and shop.Now corporate is in chicago, I left due to a tornado, s c a r r y. Chicago does not seem to think that is a good reason.I was at work when the tornado hit. All safe but really! Even in a tornado.

Overall good place to work. Paid breaks, onsite clinic. Clean warehouse. The jobs ae easy to learn. You can listen to music while you work. Breakrooms are nice with TVs. Supervisors are OK. most are nice.

Pros

paid breaks, schedule

Cons

good culture, pay not worth it

Was here for a year this time. I loved my coworkers and the culture of the store / company. Management was always available to talk to. However, pay was state minimum wage and one raise a cent, not even worth the paperwork. My time off was never my time off, I was always asked to come in on my days off, to come in early and stay late. I got burned out quickly. You're expected to do the work of 2 1/2 people on the wages of half a person. I needed time off to leave the state for a family issue and was told I had to shave a few days off of my time off request, after a coworker had left the country for over a month.

Pros

breaks always on time

Cons

abysmal pay

It overall was ok i guess you could say everything was out of order very short on staff.

Personally I regret working there i basically had to learn everything on my own I was told that I was just a regular employee then I got covid and they turned around and told me that I was seasonal and I needed to look for another job. When I needed help nobody would ever time to help me. Overall I just wouldn’t choose to work there.

Pros

15% Discount off everything

Cons

Short breaks

a good place to work

a good place to work. flexible scheduling. friendly work environment. friendly co-workers and supervisors. But the pay is only minimum wage.

It used to be fun

It used to be really fun working there and the managers were really nice but eventually they got in trouble for being too lax about policies and pretty much the whole management either were fired or quit and was replaced with a bunch of random people who changed everything about our day to day processes and I get that this is the correct way to be doing things but it's just a bug adjustment and all the new managers talk to you like you're 5 years old and very condescending

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling

Cons

Constant credit pushing, rude and unkempt management

Fun workplace environment with emphasis on customer satisfaction

This job was fun until it wasn’t. You will spend a lot of time learning the common behaviors of customers and work extremely hard to serve them best. This includes endless amounts of customer service help as far as a general sense of knowledge about the company. You should be expected to know a little bit of everything regardless of the position you are in

Pros

Pros: Good first job, valuable experience, relaxed environment

Cons

Cons: Weak management, lazy coworkers, frequent call-outs, sometimes difficult customers

Good job for student

I recommend this job if you’re a student or it’s your first job. Work is easy and co-workers/managers might be good or bad depending on location. Managers had their favorite but do your job and you’ll be fine.

Pros

Flexibility Easy work

Cons

Management No advancement

its okay

never even met my manager and the breaks were small as = the pay was pretty good and got paqid weekly so that was pretty good as well the job was pretty boring

Everyone is professional and helpful. Great team members and managers.

Great environment and people! Everyone is helpful. Excellent group of co workers. Customer's are polite as well. Works with you re:scheduling. My job was a seasonal position that I was hoping would become permanent. Not enough positions available at this time. However the store manager does want to hire me! I just need to re apply in the near future.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

I don't have any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kohl's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Kohl's with

• Kohl's
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?