Kohl's Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 1,115 reviews matching the search See all 18,790 reviews
Productive and fun environment
Seasonal Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOAugust 22, 2019
Worked to maintain current knowledge of sales and promotions
Maintained constant communication with team members and leadership
Upheld excellent time management
Assist customers by matching them with their product needs
Keep store neat and merchandise organized
Just to have money in your pocket
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJAugust 21, 2019
Management gives costumers whatever they demand, which can be annoying, but it’s an okay job just to get money and go. Each duty is easy but it does require constant standing and walking.
Okay place
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Deptford, NJAugust 20, 2019
Nice place but felt i was underpaid . Also i barely was getting hours . I barely called out and couldnt get a raise. Management was nice but did nothing about my concerns
Excellent Starter Job
Customer Service and Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 20, 2019
It is retail. However, it is a great starter job. Management works very hard to create a "family" environment, which is difficult to do when turnover is so high. You're able to set your availability to pretty much whatever you want. If you have more open availability, you're probably outlast many others and get the opportunity to move up.
Kohl's has very high ethical standards, so if you have to work retail, I would aim there.
Learning Retail
Floor associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 19, 2019
A fun and inviting place to work that taught me many things about working in the retail world. I learned how to pack online orders, operate point of sale, and fold clothes.
Working there was great
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYAugust 19, 2019
Every job has its challenges, but overall a good place to work. There were the nasty customers and some drama between coworkers, but if you don’t let that bother you it is a good place to work.
Understaffed, Lack of Training, Abusive Management, Low Pay to Workload
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNAugust 19, 2019
I had a VERY frustrating experience with Kohl's for several reasons.

1) At my interview, I expressed that I had a paid (no refund) vacation later in the year that I would need time off for. I was told that I would be able to get this time off no problem. Come closer to said dates, I was denied my time off and told to "find people to cover my shifts." After frustratingly dealing with this, I had gotten all of my shifts covered with our shift change forms. My last day of work before said vacation (and apparently my last day ever at Kohl's) I was told all of my shift coverages were declined. I did my best with what little time I had and got a few folks to cover some of the shifts, but I was unable to get them all covered. I called the next morning to speak to the store manager and I was told "I have a store to run, it's not my job to find people to cover your scheduled shifts" and was hung up on (this was after I explained I had done everything I could do)

2) I had very little training, most of what I learned on the job was from other coworkers at the moment I needed the information. I felt very underequipped to give the "customer hospitality" that Kohl's speaks so highly of.

3) Management is abusive. There were several incidents where I was screamed at over our radio system for struggling/needing help with things for a position I was very under trained for. I was told more often than not, no matter how hard I worked, that I was "not working" because every single thing "was never done where I was assigned" (mind you, this location is extremely busy, and assigning ONE
  more... person to Women's, Juniors, and Men's Department when there's a big sale happening is impossible (and the same can be said with the online order system when there are large sales)

4) The pay to the workload is horrible. More often than not the store is understaffed due to call outs, quits, etc. There was also a comment from the store manager about "running the bare minimum of employees to get through the day" because "we have to profit"... but this was often at the expensive of the employees (and the store itself, more often than not we would have to clock out with the store still looking like a disaster)

5) The floor staff have a hard time being happy due to the way they are treated. A lot of us tried to make the best of it, but it is hard when management treats you horribly, and no matter how hard you work, they tell you that you are not doing enough.

6) If you are scheduled for a register shift and you don't get credit applications (charge cards for the company), You're basically told you aren't trying, and that you're causing the store to be below quota. (Newsflash, NOT EVERYONE WANTS A CREDIT CARD TO A DEPARTMENT STORE!)

- My favorite thing about this job was some of my coworkers, I didn't enjoy much else.
Self-motivated and self-paced
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Stafford County, VAAugust 19, 2019
Overall, met great people as coworkers and customers.
If management had a problem with someone, they would take hours away from the employees. Sometimes only giving them 5 hrs a week until the employee talked about quitting. Most employees were friendly and helped each other out but most floor associates were swamped due to the management not wanting to give employees more time.
Pros
Co-workers were friendly, team orientated.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Morris Plains, NJAugust 18, 2019
I love assisting customers. The other employees seem friendly. Co workers are all very pleasant. The managers are great and help and support me in everyway they can. I hope to be promoted because the core values here stand true. I have worked on and off as both a part time, full time and seasonal employee since 1999 at their stores. Flexable schedules, and a great level of understanding the importance of what, both the customer, and employees need to make it a successful store!
poor management
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Easley, SCAugust 18, 2019
Very easy job but with poor management made it to be very stressful. Managers would yell in front of the customers and also talk badly about employees to other employees. Scheduling was pretty bad too they would work you 9 days straight and then the next week only give you one day while making you close and open very frequently.
Not a bad place to begin a career in retail with plenty of learning experience available.
Floor Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canton, MIAugust 17, 2019
Excellent management structure provides room for self-motivation, potential job advancement, and teamwork. Customer service is highly promoted and encouraged from the top. At times, the load seems heavy, but teamwork is available most shifts to lighten it. Pay is relatively low, compared to other retailers, but after all, it is retail.
Pros
Good employee discounts on merchandise, access to a matching 401k, flexibility in shift scheduling, open management communication channels
Cons
Relatively low wages compared to other retailers.
Got some experience but hated the process.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLAugust 15, 2019
Not the worst for a first job but pays minimum wage while on average only getting 8-12 hours a week. Managers change regularly and expect them to hound you to your core about getting people to apply for a credit card. You will also have managers allowing customers to walk all over you on a daily basis and letting them get away with things they shouldn't when it comes to getting deals at the register.

Many times I was given shifts for job titles I had never been trained for so I had to figure things out for myself a lot or by bothering other co-workers all night. After 2 years of working there I attempted to ask the store manager multiple times if I could work primarily floor shifts since I had primarily worked on the register during my employment which caused me a lot of back pain as you are not allowed to sit or move away from your 3 feet of space. There was 50 other employees with my job description, some of which also asked to primarily work on the register since they preferred not having to walk around but my request was denied every time.

You get a 15% off and if you work there for 10 years, you might be able to be a manager! (They usually just hire managers online who have previous experience in other companies though so good luck)

I gained experience for retail which I can put on a resume but now I know I never want to work a job in which I have to even look at a register and I wont settle for minimum wage from a corporation ever again.
Working at Kohl’s
Part-time Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Prattville, ALAugust 15, 2019
Working at Kohl’s is pretty decent. The pay could be better but the management is exceptional, and they actually care about their employees. Flexible hours and room for improvement.
Benefits
Cons
Pay not enough
Great job for college student
Retail Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Antelope, CAAugust 15, 2019
This is a great place for part time work for a college student or second job. Discounts are great because you can stack employee discount with all other. Early morning truck shifts can be rough and pushing credit on customers can be annoying.
Meh!
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  MississippiAugust 14, 2019
Horrible! Exhausting! Overworked! Underpaid! Rude customers.. Lazy manager, corporate is terrible, and they work you like crazy. The turnover rate has picked up
Production comes with number of customers
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAAugust 13, 2019
Management in this job was horrible. A typical day of work consisted of maintaining the floor clean and helping customers, super easy. The hardest part of working here was the lack of hours. They were not flexible in schedules , and you had the most random shifts
Ok job until you find something better.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 12, 2019
They make you feel like your just a number on the pay role. Employees come and go there. They are always hiring which means employees do not stay very long.
Its good.
Floor Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 12, 2019
Good to get retail Experience. Flexible schedule. Nice environment. Very professional. I like that they value our work and have respect for the employee's.
It was a good job .It was just for the hoildays
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 9, 2019
When I first went in I started doing my work.I all ready know how to do the work they give me.No the work was easy.I really enjoy working there I got along with every body.I just was get frustrated because they wont me to do mens departed in which I know nothing about. But I try any.
Management was terrible
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INAugust 5, 2019
Management was horrible. I started and when I needed help they told me to find it myself. Told me to go faster to unload the truck on the first day when I had no idea what I was doing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kohl's. Our community is ready to answer.

56K

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight