Kohl's

Based on 7,375 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Wouldn’t recommend

Overworked and underpaid, bad management, not flexible, would get mad if I called out or needed time off, only good thing was the weekly paychecks and coworkers, but a job is a job if you’re desperate go for it

Fast paced

It’s an okay job. I just wish they’re not forcing down your throat to sell credit card. One thing I noticed is they pick and choose who to like and if they like you they’ll let you do what ever you want.

Pros

You get 15 break on the clock. Not enough hours.

Cons

Short break and the pay is not that good.

Overall, a great company to work for.

A very nice atmosphere with quality and supportive managers. Interesting job tasks. Helpful team members. Fair number of breaks. Job is never boring.

Pros

Bonus pay. Good team culture. Helpful management.

Cons

Low hourly pay. Inflexible hours; either too many to not enough.

Typical retail experience

Basic department store experience. Working holidays is mandatory. Kohl's as a company is falling behind in regards to competitive pay and the benefits aren't that great. Too much favoritism and politics in upper managment.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Pay and benefits, management

Underwhelming and Oversaturated

My main takeaway from my time here was that there was far too much waste of people as resources. I would finish my job in 4 hours and for the rest of my day work on freelance projects that had nothing to do with the company. I was paid as long as I sat at my station. This was not a culture of utilizing people's talents or work ability.

Pros

Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Mindless, Wasteful, Way too long for advancement or challenging projects

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Over worked, underpaid

Lots of favoritism but even when you are liked by the managers you are over worked. You don’t get raises and when you do it’s less than 25 cents. Then when minimum wage increases you reset so you’ll make the same as a new hire

Pros

Cool co workers

Cons

Over worked

Very strict with credit but is very flexible with school/personal hours

Working at kohls can be a great experience if you are comfortable with marketing skills. Otherwise it can be hard to keep up with credits if you are a cashier.

Pros

Associate appreciation, flexible hours, good breaks

Cons

Credit pressure

Enjoyable place to work some days it was fast pace and other times I could fulfill BOPUS orders and enjoy a quiet work day.

Good location to work at and managers were helpful when needed. Always extra shifts to pick up. For the holidays they provided extra coupons for employees.

N/a

Cute and paid money. Overall easy tasks and could work fairly easily. I did feel undertrained sometimes. And the job just because repetier because I was doing fitting rooms.

Great work environment, if only there were less of a focus on soliciting credit!

I’ve been with Kohls a very long time. I have always had great co-workers. I think the work/life balance is good for a retail management job, but the work can be hard at times.

Pros

Work life balance, interesting work, paid time off, disability benefits, fast pace of work.

Cons

All the company talks about is credit, credit, credit, Hard to find good staff because the company will not raise the starting pay to a competitive rate.

Enjoyable but not with the salary

Id give them a better rating if I was payed better rating money. The usual day usually goes with arguments with the managers and exceptionally poor treatment from customers. The benefits aren't spectacular for those working in the stores. The salary is less than supplemental; the workload to salary ratio is extremely off balance.

Pros

You sometimes get a free lollipop

Cons

short breaks and rude staff

Really nice coworkers

Love discounts good work schedule nice people. Policies are good. Great training Nice clothes and stuff. Convenient location. Easy buy and return policy

Low pay but with a high workload

Kohl's criminally underpays their associates for all the work they are required to do for their job. They do very little to incentive associates to work hard, and the only incentives they do offer are tied with getting customers to sign up for charge cards. For those associates who do not regularly work on register that means there is not much opportunity to get those incentives. High stress from a large workload and just dealing with customers is not balanced out by better pay or other benefits. The so called reward for doing a good job is supposedly more hours but for those who are part-time or do not want near 40 hours a week there is very little benefit. Management would frequently overwork associates by loading up the maximum possible hours, often with consulting with said associate, and then proceed to get upset when associate is overworked and tired. The low pay, poor management, the stressful nature of retail combined with the pandemic has lead to a staffing issue. This just magnifies the issue of overworking as associates are required to fill in for more positions. Frequently a day during one of the busy stretches would require you to recover on the floor, help on register, work on an online order and help with customer questions. Kohl's does do a great job at making associates feel comfortable being themselves on the job and creating an environment of acceptance at the workplace. Management tries their best to keep associates happy by providing snacks. Kohl's did a great job in Management also does a good job on creating a personal relationship with associates. After -

Pros

A lot of opportunity of hours

Cons

Overworking, low pay and poor management

Good for beginners

It's definitely a beginner type of job not really much else. The work is easy and management is decent at best. Overall it will make you some extra cash but nothing long term.

Pros

Flexible scheduling and weekly pay

Cons

Low pay, no benefits

Very boring and practical

The branch that I worked for was a bit hostile. Most of the managers were very lovely but there was a particular manager that fussed and yelled at me in front of customers and did NOT apologize. She talked to me as if I hadn’t worked there for months. Overall, it was a very boring and repetitive job so if that’s what your looking for then this would be the job for you. I had a bad experience with my management but hopefully you won’t

Pros

Easy money, flexible hours

Cons

Short breaks, not enough hours

Good people, but not much else

In general, the starting payrate at kohl's is pretty bad, and both stores I've worked at have had struggles keeping people on staff. People are nice, but work is boring and pay is pretty terrible.

easy job

Good and easy job but they kept trying to schedule me past my availability or the stores just a mess sometimes. But overall it was an easy job to learn atleast

Pros

Good discounts

Cons

Not giving me enough days

Good if you want a job with flexible hours. Management isn’t the best, which leads to a lot of disorganization within the company.

Flexibility with scheduling was good (perfect if you’re in school) however, management expects too much and does not always give you the support needed to do your job well. I can’t speak for every store but I know a lot of the ones around me had the same issues with putting a lot of the workload on certain people because others slacked off which isn’t fair.

Good temporary or first job but that's it

This job is good for teens looking for a first job, or those looking to come back into the workforce. However, this job will quickly burn you out with the amount of work they expect from you for the little amount of pay you receive.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Management, Low pay, Customers

Flexible with schedule, low pay for hard work

It is very hard to get a raise or to get promoted unless you are liked by one of the supervisors…however some of the employees are very nice , others not so much..

Pros

Associate Discounts

Cons

don’t pay attention to your availability; customers can be very rude for no reason..

Very flexible schedule. Overall easy and cool environment to work. I’ve been working here since 2012 and I have moved up from a seasonal floor associate to a manager

Pros

Schedule, workload

Cons

Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kohl's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

7.4K

Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Kohl's.
Powered byComparably