Kona Community Hospital

Kona Community Hospital Employee Reviews

Security Guard
Being a security guard at KCH is a contract hire position. The contract company is currently HSS. The job is a hands on security position where the guard is required to restrain patients at the direction of the Hospital medical staff. The guard is also required to move decedents in and out of the morgue.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Security is under staffed.
Respiratory Therapist
Manager of Respiratory Dept was given the position due to none of the senior Respiratory Therapists wanting the position. No managerial credentials obtained by this individual, state hospital doesn’t require them. Culture within the department is more toxic than you could imagine.
Great Place to work
Fair employer, eager to teach, to learn, to pass on any knowledge others may have. Culturally sensitive. Community Orientated. Great Leaders. Offers employees opportunities to advance.
Rn er
Excellent team work in the busy ER. Good physicians to work with. Manager very supportive. Scheduling was great to have time off for visiting friends and family.
Upper management is horrible
I loved the DEPT I worked in but Administration could give a rats backside about the staff or the horrible working conditions. Watch your back and be expected to work short staffed almost every shift. That goes for RN, Respiratory or CNA’s
Pros
Decent health insurance
Cons
Administration
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Wonderful people, wonderful place
Kona hospital was a wonderful place to work. Management and coworkers were all very helpful and hard working. I learned a lot there and became much more confident in my skills as a RN with the help of my mentors and co-workers. It was the best job I have had so far but I had to leave d/t move out of the area.
Pros
co workers and management
Great culture and people
Love working here! Benefits are fabulous, great work/life balance, and management has your back. I have great co-workers! The work can be stressful but that is the nature of the job.
Pros
People and culture
Cons
Stressful at times
relaxed work environment
Much more relaxed work environment than most hospitals.
really enjoyed working for this company.

Pay was good and work hours were flexible

learned some new jobs skills while working here.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
no pto
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Kona Community Hospital?
quick pace
its a busy environment specially if ER department is busy. I learn how to manage my time and being patient to my job. I also learned different medical term at work. I floated to other department also and each department has a different work flow pace. I enjoy working with my co-worker and we have a team work specially if we are short of staff.
Pros
patient appreciate you, they look at you like you are a super hero
Cons
short break
Day in the ICU
Patient ratio of 2:1. Great place to work, team work is a must. Management is amazing. We have critical patients on ventilators, that need critical thinking management. I have experience with being charge nurse and with precepting new employees to our unit.
small hospital
The best thing I can say about Kona Community Hospital is it's location. It is a very small hospital but surprisingly clean.
Fun working with co worker
Getting permanent job is quite hard. You need to work at least maybe 5 years to get benefits. There was no permanent work schedule and hours.
Pros
high pay
Cons
no benefits
Extremely busy ER in a rural setting
I worked at KCH for 20 + years and retired on 3/2015. I loved my job and I loved working at the bedside. I held many positions at KCH and never had a complaint filed against me by a patient and or family member and or fellow worker.

With changes in the healthcare setting, the organizational culture at KCH became an unhealthy place for me to work, so I made the choice to retire.

I am looking to go into something new and challenging. Case management, risk management, Performance improvement and or education
Pros
Fellow co workers
Cons
The demise of healthcare
No one ever has the chance to love their job, administration and bureacracy are too busy beating you into submission.
This was without a doubt one of the most meaningful jobs I've ever had. It was challenging in ways I didn't even expect. I loved it and I knew I would miss the actual job itself when I chose to leave it. I had co-workers that were some of the most supremely capable people I've ever met and I wouldn't hesitate to call on them in an emergency. Unfortunately that is completely ignored and overshadowed by management and administration that is antiquated and extremely prejudiced. Questions on procedures or requests for new training to be established in areas that were not covered in basic training were universally ignored and resulted in being ostracized by management. The fact that everyone within the system is well aware of this is defeating. The front line working staff as well as management in other departments, who I would rate 5 stars throughout the facility as a whole, constantly encouraged me to move into another area as quickly as possible. Obviously the problems that exist are long standing and well known and the only ones seemingly unaware of this are the people responsible for the problems and who allow it to continue. I would never encourage someone to apply for this job under its present management conditions.
Pros
As a state facility benefits, if you are in a permanent classification, are fantastic.
Cons
Temporary positions get no benefits and are used extensively for that reason, Parking is bad, No system for suggestions for improvement
Good starting place to proceed to another level in patient care
I enjoy working with my fellow workers. Am looking to change schedule and shift due to caring for family member. Would recomend this career to fellow persons looking for a career in patient care
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
Scheduling of shift
hard working & compassionate
During night shift only one employee working in admitting.Registered all emergency room patients, admits all patients into hospital, answer switchboard, talk with insurance companies, among all other required tasks.
Hardest part of job was leaving & most enjoyable part of job was seeing healthy patients discharged after receiving care @ Kona Community Hospital.
Pros
Learning new things & meeting some interesting people
Cons
Watching a family learn a loved one had expired
Love working there
It's a good place to work. Get to use your skills, work independantly
Good learning experience in life over all.
Great co workers in spite of a heavy work load. Most enjoyable part of the job is having great charge nurses and helpful co workers.
Pros
free lunch on your overtime, good pay
Cons
short break time because of hectic workload
Psychiatric nursing is useful knowledge for all areas of nursing.
I currently work on the psych unit and not in other areas of the hospital so I can only speak for my unit. We have a close knit staff and we help each other. Patients can be challenging at times but the rewards are seeing people make a turn around after starting meds. We have a few experienced nurses and some entry level so there is room for staff improvement.
Helpful and friendly place to work.
Focused on providing good care and a variety of help for all needs.
Pros
willing to help out with any task.
Cons
downsize the company without notice.