Konecranes Employee Reviews

Employees are just a number
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Not ProvidedDecember 28, 2018
Konecranes once had a culture of taking care of our people and promoting from within. New management moved away from that. They had a complete overhaul of the business model and in the new system, upward mobility has been virtually eliminated. People who do not immediately take to the new system are not trained, they are fired and new people brought in. What limited internal promotional opportunities to arise are given to people brought in from outside the company. Tenured employees are no longer appreciated.
Field technicians have no work/life balance and are expected to just accept that and be happy they have a job.
New personnel hired to be the first line of contact for customers and field technicians are intentionally hired with no technical knowledge or understanding of what Konecranes does.
The best you can hope for in a raise is an insignificant change once a year, and even that is dependent on your role (outside sales personnel no longer have the opportunity for any annual raises) and your manager.
Pros
There are some very good people to work with, decent benefits
Cons
No work/life balance, Management looks to blame other people for their shortcomings, pay is not competitive, reasonable raises are impossible to come by
Nice work truck
Technician (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 28, 2018
Long hours, asked to work weekends with little notice, on call rotational schedule, provide your own tools at your cost, tools for bigger jobs were not provided, not much support from management, all about the numbers not about the people, nice work truck that you take home with you every night, pay was fair but not great, dangerous work environments with high levels of heat and noise, no procedures for work just go do it, only tools provided were harness, hard hat, 3 screw drivers and gloves. Could be a wonderful place to work if management would communicate with technicians.
Pros
Paid holidays, work truck, pay for drive time key on to key off, great benefits
Cons
bad managment, no loyalty, never have the proper tools, constant bickering between technicians
Small town atmosphere in a big corporation
Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WIJuly 18, 2018
Typical working day can be hectic before lunch, but slow paced after. The learning is kind of short and sweet and the only way to learn more is on your own. Culture is a kind of that is what we've done before, so why change now. I do not feel there are great advancement opportunities.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Good Job
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 22, 2018
Konecranes is a good place of businesses and I recommend anyone with a electrical back ground to apply and give it a shot. Great benefits and schedule.
Fast paced, highly competitive
Planner/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2018
Konecranes is an excellent company to work for at a corporate level. Locally, the management team seems to play favorites to people in their circle. They will try to start you out at as low a salary as possible and then raises are difficult to obtain. Konecranes is the elite when it comes to overhead cranes and hoists but competition is intense. Work/life balance is a little sketchy but then it is a customer service business. Work is cyclical in that we are very busy and have more work than we can do at times and then we struggle to get technicians more than 30 hours per week at other times.
Pros
Excellent benefits including 401k.
Cons
Long, hard hours, pay is less than industry standard
High Stress with little to no direction!!!
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Berlin, CTMay 18, 2018
Beware, The new leadership as of 2016 was all about the profits. They cared little for the actual people providing the service and doing the work. The particular branch I worked in was managed by an absent manager that expected his branch to run without him at the helm. Pre 2016 the company culture was very good.
Pros
okay benefits
Cons
Poor Leadership
This place sucks
Cycle Counter (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHMay 25, 2018
This place is poorly managed and you are well underpaid. There is hardly any advancement in this company. They would rather spend 10k a week on food for everyone then to pay a solid 50c a year to its employees. Yes that is maybe 15c on average every year you have as a raise.
Good pay and benefits. Work truck provided. Decent pay
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 3, 2018
Great company to work for compensation is pretty good. They provide work truck, great benefits, advancement opportunities. Company is growing and very busy. Job security and plenty of overtime.
Pros
Wages, benefits, work truck, plenty of overtime
Cons
On call, hazardous environments at times
Stress and bad pay
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, OHMay 28, 2018
When I work at Lima it was unsafe and bad pay. I started out as a temp making more money than when they hired me. Very stressful and very bad leadership. Would not recommend working for this company.
Benefits
Cons
Disorganized
Good place to gain experiance but not a long term option for some
Electrical/Maintenance Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 10, 2018
Some days could be long. Pay was the worst part about this position and a very high turn over rate that they don't mind. Very good training though if you are just starting out in the trade. Having a typical family life outside of this job can be challenging. The line of work was most of the time enjoyable and challenging at the same time. If pay wasn't as big of an issue I would probably still be with company. As a small shop we all worked together and was able to rely on each other when we needed a extra hand.
Pros
Training, Benefits
Cons
Pay, long days
Konecranes US headquarters great.
Crane Technician (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNDecember 21, 2018
Konecranes training and environment was great. Management seemed to want to help you, but the previous manager , at the New Brighton office, didn't work the same way like when you went for training.
Played favoritism. Heard there is a new manager, who works with you. I left before the previous manager had left, company left a bad taste in the mouth.
Pros
Training, phone and vehicle
Cons
Favoritism, no on call pay, previous management
Prepare yourself
Overhead Crane Technician (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCNovember 7, 2017
Company truck, company phone, health and dental, 401k.

Hectic, unorganized. I don't know what job I'll be working until 12
or less hours before.

Impossible to plan your life; I could be home at 2pm, or 10pm. My family only reliably saw me on the weekends.

I work incredibly hard, take pride in my work, and provide excellent customer service. Management only has good things to say about me, but I get 2% raises every year. 2% is not the exception, but more the standard. They slipped it in this year without telling me, so I couldn't raise a fit before it was too late to say anything.

Management consistently puts me on two-tech jobs by myself. Not because we're short on manpower, but because it makes the job come out better on the bottom line.
Value oriented and highly marketable learning experience
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILAugust 14, 2018
Working for Konecranes gave me the opportunity to deepen my understanding of rotating equipment and develop marketable practices in electrical and mechanical maintenance. The firm gave me the freedom to express myself and my unique quality standards to the customer through the maintenance and installation of their industrial cranes and hoist units. The firm was well managed and international collaboration and information sharing were supported by my management.
Pros
Training, learning, rewarding
Cons
Lack of schedule control
Service Tech, very stressful.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2018
I was Terminated while under Dr's care. This shows how they treat their employees. This place is for someone Single who doesn't care to be treated like poorly.
Pros
Company Truck
Cons
Low pay, long hours and ask to work in dangerous conditions.
Bad Moral
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHAugust 20, 2018
The culture at this company changed when the company began to restructure. many long term management team members were let go and not very confidentially or respectfully. the morale in general was very bad among employees and was very hard to find anyone with anything positive to say about the company. I left because it was just toxic.
Pros
Clean work space
Cons
Bad bad morale
wasn't a career
Planner (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 12, 2018
Company was okay. Wasn't a career. Very clicky group of people. When problems were an issue and brought up to management they did nothing about it.
Pros
Nothing really to say
Cons
Management didn't back you
Decent money. Poor home time.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 20, 2018
Work/home life balance is terrible. Hours very unpredictable, never know what time is quitting time. Management still new in positions. Asked to drive multiple hours then work and return home within 14 hours.
Pros
Truck, phone
Cons
Hours, environment.
Good group of technician
Crane Technician (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 10, 2018
Not getting the hours they promised. Management says one thing and does another they just tell you what you want to hear. But the technician in the field are really good about help one of another.
Pros
Good technicians
Typical Service Branch
Crane Inspector (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNDecember 5, 2018
The company is great to work for and has a great ethic and training and safety program. The trainers are very knowledgeable and are available at all hours. The individual branch I worked at was not the same. The branch had terrible issues with communication and issues with trying to point the finger and blame every chance possible but take credit before anything was due.
Pros
company vehicle, cell phone
Cons
hours, weather, office managment
No longer a good company to work for!
District (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 19, 2018
I worked at Konecranes for 14 years. The first 4 years were wonderful. Family friendly, and employees were treated with respect.In the last 10 years I went thru 2 mergers, both were not pretty. There was a lot of lies and back stabbing, mostly from management and higher. When the President of the Americas retired, Konecranes made a major shift. Employees did not matter, just the bottom line. I understand that this is a business and they want to make money, but at the cost of treating employees with NO respect.

I was let go because of "Performance" and "Time off". Just 2 months prior to that I was given a merit raise. I was not approached at all about my performance, prior to letting me go.
I usually worked 50-60 hours a week (Salary), but in the last 4 months, I did not work as many hours. I wanted a life. I believe that I was let go because I was not willing to but in the long hours, and I questioned upper management. Like they wanted me to sweep some shading work, under the carpet. Something I cannot do when there are several policies being broken.

Current employees that have been there over 10 years, are walking on eggshells, wondering when they will be the next to be cut. I could go on and on about how this company has changed for the worse, but there is not enough time, or space to write it all down.
Pros
Co-workers (Excluding Management), Great Benefits (However that is changing as well)
Cons
Management, double standards and not being honest, Shading practices, disrespect employees, Very stressfu

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Konecranes. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

1.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight