Koppers Railroad Structures Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
some great people pms are great
grapple truck (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 20, 2018
loved working here miss it a lot worked over 4 years here. just don't roll your ankle and they will hire you back sucks that's all they remember about me after all the years I worked there...
Pros
great road guys and great money
Good company
Foreman (Current Employee) –  all over the USDecember 28, 2017
Good company to work for if you are single. You're away from home a good portion of the year. Work long hours but the pay is good and the benefits are nice.
Pros
good pay, see a lot of the US
Cons
away from home
Hard work, long hours, great pay.
Laborer 3 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53716August 16, 2017
100% travel but well worth it. Hard manual labor with proper guidance and great trainers. Hands on training. Really easy to move up the ladder if you're capable to retain knowledge. Repetitive work.
Decent gig, see the country
bridge technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 3, 2017
Dont apply if you have a family, Boss is god, and you have very little oversight, but i love the guys i work with. To be blunt i wouldn't take this job unless i needed the money or was young and single looking to travel
Review seems great
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sod in Killeen TexasNovember 18, 2016
Never have worked at the railroad seemed like a good opportunity for me to work there they have great benefits and insurance I like to be part of the team
Pros
Nice
Cons
Need insurance
Great place for somebody who doesnt want a home life..
Laborer 3 (Former Employee) –  Nation-wideAugust 16, 2016
Worst railroad company to ever work for. Just work here for a week and you'll see why people quit there first day on the job. Company is a last resort.
Pros
Dont work here anymore! 😃
Cons
Worked here for over a year..
Great job if you are a hard working man
Laborer 2 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 24, 2016
Good pay I started in New Orleans went straight to work that Monday. My foreman was great and was knowledgeable in everything we did. Little bit of cultural appropriation could have been put in place with the teams and each person just having their dont bother me days.But you see the nation and Make about 18k in 4 to 5 months lol.
Pros
Traveling, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Far away from management, No real per diem check it only covers for room
Job with good advancements
Laborer 1 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 14, 2016
This company has alot of room for advancements. Do your job and do it well and you will be rewarded accordingly. This company also has good and safe equipment to work with and around.
Pros
traveling and pay
Cons
hotel living
On the road again...
labor 2 / bridge nspector (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 30, 2015
I started at Koppers Railroad Structures formally known as Osmoses Railroad Services bought out during my tenure their.

I loved working their under my first supervisor and a special crew we shared a bond together. The downfall was red tape, chemicals, and how my boss on the site handled himself as a professional. An example, of how business malpractice cases are filed.

However, and most importantly it was and is a fun environment full of rewarding work done by a family on the road. Traveling from Wisconsin to Montana and back to Georgia, the south diversity changed my life to this day. I am blessed I had that opportunity along with gaining friendship of co workers.

Working and making the rail roads safe at the time felt like my calling. The money is amazing, the hours were long, the politics were their at every job, however if I had a chance again I would take it to save up money and move on to open my own business.
Pros
Pay, Accidental Death Insurance
Cons
politics, chemicals, big business
The 1st two reviews are written by someone in management with no clue of the field operations.
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Madison, WiOctober 13, 2015
This company is a last resort for anyone looking for a job. You're away from home 50 weeks out of the year working hard and in dangerous situations living out of motel rooms with 2 or more guys. Most of the field employees have less than a year of experience because of the high turn over rate which is almost 100% in a typical year.
Management isn't looking out for your best interests. They only care about covering their butt and the bottom line. If you get hurt on the job and need too much time to recover, they'll eventually fire you. Management never admits it's mistakes and buries everything under the rug.
If I were you I'd look elsewhere or try to get aa job in an office.
Pros
Distance from management
Cons
There is nothing good about this company.
Hard work that improves yourself
Field Technician/Laborer II (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 24, 2015
Strong industrial job with many tasks that enhance a persons skills.There is lots of traveling all over the country. Time away from family does slow a person's moral but the financial stability to provide for ones family rings with pride.I enjoy the life i am able to give to my wife and children
Pros
New sites
Cons
lots of time away from home and loved ones