Kraken Employee Reviews

Awesome team culture
Client Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 12, 2019
I enjoy the professionalism and culture in the company.

The team is very helpful in many ways. Even though work is remote but it could get really close to other colleagues.

There are a lot of crypto enthusiasts in the company so chances of missing any latest trends or news are very low.

Also it allows me to work anywhere so there is nothing to complain about!
True professionals shaping the next generation financial services
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 10, 2019
Kraken's vision is to provide the 'professional' exchange, capturing the interest & requirements of users in mid-long term; as the next generation financial services platform. Therefore, short-term opportunities and near-sighted business strategies are often dismissed (very unique in the industry).

While company is flexible on the process, mid-long term milestones and goals are clear and measured carefully. Many professionals, without conversation, can understand this and enjoy the challenge at Kraken.
Pros
Corporate culture and business priorities are clearly shared
Cons
Not fit for amature mindset
Amazing company to work for
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Napa, CAMarch 9, 2019
I don't think I've ever seen a company that is so responsive to feedback from employees. There is a sense of belonging and family within the team. Others are continually making an effort to make this a collaborative workplace. They have a genuine interest in developing our careers and ensuring we're enjoying the work we do. I appreciate the integrity of the people I get to work with.
Pros
Great Culture
Collaborative, challenging and fast paced environment
Accounting (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 8, 2019
I've working onsite at the HQ since 2018 and have really enjoyed my time with Kraken. Company culture is built on decentralized principles and management is very approachable and open to new ideas and approaches - you can have a lot of impact to the organization if you have good ideas.

While the work can be stressful as there is a lot of ambiguity due to the nascent nature of the industry, there is a lot of opportunity for learning and growth. Colleagues are bright and interesting people from many different backgrounds.

Perks - Employer pays health insurance (no employee contribution), offers unlimited PTO.
Pros
Interesting colleagues, learning opportunities, interesting colleagues, beautiful office
Cons
Many different projects and fast pace can get overwhelming
Best Place Ever
Global Payroll (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 8, 2019
There are so many wonderful things I can say and all led me to say that this IS a great place to be. Culture and office environment, most are remote, the folks close to an office can work from home. They would never have to ask me to work hard because you just want to give 200%. I have been at other companies where it is easy to be burned out but I don't have that here. There's plenty to do but you own your work life balance. Since I am managing my time, I can go to appointments if needed, log back on and finish whatever is needed. I love that we have the same goal, for the success of the company and to keep the culture thriving. Regardless of title or function, respect, collaboration and fun is the theme. We have weekly meetings to ensure we are kept up to date within our functions. The executives are engaged and makes it their priority to ensure you are engage with the company. The company is always looking for ways to improve so your input and feedback is valued. Specifically the Controller and CFO are awesome but I am not surprised, this is the overall feel of management in my eyes. Everyone is very easy to talk to they make themselves available so you know you are supported.
Pros
Culture, Teamwork, Creativity, Benefits, Opportunities, Vision for the future
You’ll only be happy here if you are a ‘yes man/woman’
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2019
No stability and no room for growth unless you become one of leadership’s favorite. That would require turning off your opinions altogether and saying yes to everything they ask even if you disagree. No one here cares about your career development. Top leadership only cares about Kraken and its growth. It’s very clear that a lot of focus is placed on how Kraken ‘appears’ in social media, rather than focusing on actually FIXING the problems being reported by employees. A lot of employees get hired to do one thing, then asked to do something completely different. It’s okay to wear multiple hats at a start up but there should be some consistency in what you get hired to do vs what you end up doing. Some employees barely get any work at all- it’s planned out and allocated very poorly. Large groups of employees get fired mysteriously and very little is shared with anyone as to why- the lucky ones who didn’t get fired just get told sorry that happened. They say they value employee opinions but it’s just a thing to say to get talent in the door.

Please start valuing employee opinions- there’s a lot that can be improved that will make Kraken better as a whole. It would be easier to share this directly with you if it seemed like employee opinions actually matter. Also focus at least a little on employees personal career development- managers can be trained to do that.
Pros
Flexibility to work from home. Great equipment and technology.
Cons
No stability, no room for growth, opinions not valued
March 11, 2019

Thank you for sharing your concerns at Kraken we appreciate and value all feedback. Kraken continues to grow and add new opportunities year over year. While there is focus on building our team with fresh new external talent, we also know that there are loads of talented people already working at Kraken who are excited to take on new tasks and new roles. All of our positions are open for internal candidates as well as external hires. We encourage you to start a dialogue with your direct manager and our People Experience team, regarding your career progression, in order to set attainable goals for yourself and your team.

It is true that malleability is a vital skill for employees that work at an early stage company, but we realize the level of flexibility required is not something that everyone is able to commit to. Some of the burden does lie on the leadership team to evaluate our team member’s bandwidth and ability to take on tasks, but it is also an expectation that the team member would inform us if they’ve reached their limit. We are a fast paced, globally distributed company and, as powerful as the mighty Kraken may be, mind reading is not one of our strengths.

We value the opinions, ideas, and concerns of each of our team members and we work hard to instill a culture of open communication and healthy debate at our company. We hope that you will speak to your manager as we believe that these conversations will allow you to feel heard and potentially open more amazing opportunities for you within Kraken.

Challenging, Collaborative Environment with Great People & Values
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 14, 2019
As cheesy as it may sound, Kraken really is full of dreamers and doers! This place is filled with highly passionate and intelligent go-getters. If you like to challenge yourself regularly, enjoy changing priorities, and a fast paced environment then Kraken is the place for you!

We work hard, but we have fun while doing it! Everyone from the executive team to customer support and everyone in between works hard to drive the mission of Kraken forward. We all want to see the growth and adoption of cryptocurrency and we aren't afraid to speak our minds!

If you are willing to put in the work and show your dedication, you will be heard and noticed at this company!
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, challenging & thought provoking work, tough but fair management, remote work, and loads of intelligent co-workers and managers
Cons
You don't always get to meet all the amazing people that work here in real life.
Extremely shady and poorly ran organization..
Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Netflix’s Fyre Festival comes to mind when thinking about this company and its leadership. Very poor decision making by the leadership. Nothing is transparent. They approve way too many hires to begin with and then fire large groups of people disrespectfully and abruptly without an explanation. It’s shocking how incompetent some of their business decisions are. Their recent “realignment” was the most chaotic and disrespectful way to fire employees...done via email with no reason given. I’ve never heard of such a thing. The leadership is reactive, not proactive at all. They scare employees from speaking truth to power. There’s no HR for a company their size.. so one has to deal with any employee relations issue or other HR-related issue themselves. If you go to leadership about a sensitive issue regarding being harassed by your manager, you will be ignored or told to transition out of the company. The leadership protects only a select few. The culture they’re selling to all candidates is all lies. Don’t trust that you’ll have a job 6 months after being hired- leadership has no clue if there really is a need for your role.

Kraken’s leaders should take the responsibility of leading seriously. They take people out of their well established jobs, so keep they should keep their word and treat them right. Deciding to leave a job to join Kraken not only affects your employees’ careers but also their lives. They devote a lot of effort, energy, and time to your company- they have the right to be treated right.
Pros
Remote work. Talented, passionate coworkers.
March 11, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for recognizing we have a talented and dedicated group of people working at Kraken. Kraken is an extremely successful start up in a volatile and exciting industry. The fast-paced, security-focused environment requires making complex, high-level, strategic decisions expeditiously to protect our company, team, and our clients. Our remote globally distributed HR team (known as “People Experience”) and our company leadership strongly believe in transparency and open communication, however, sensitive personnel matters require an extremely high level of discretion.

Kraken believes in bringing on highly privacy-conscious people who are dedicated to accelerating the worldwide adoption of cryptocurrency. We have built a strong culture focused on security and autonomy in your work, where you are free and encouraged to share ideas, concerns, and challenge the status quo every day. It is unfortunate that you felt your concerns were not heard or acted on in a manner that you would have preferred. Not knowing that action is being taken when a concern is brought to leadership can be unnerving and your feedback has been shared with the appropriate parties.

Kraken is continuing to expand globally to chart uncharted seas. While some adventurous seafarers who choose to climb aboard may discover that they just don’t have the stomach for the sea, many will! And those that do, will continue on this journey to successfully navigate the wild seas of this fascinating and complex industry!

Great company culture that encourages and supports your strengths and passions
Subject Matter Expert (SME) (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 7, 2019
The job is challenging but rewarding. Working remotely is amazing and Kraken has done a fantastic job of bringing the remote workers together to form productive teams. It's fast-paced and hard work at times, but you are surrounded by a great team that is there to support you. They challenge you to grow and to follow your passions, and management does a good job of presenting opportunities for growth and advancement. Best job that I've had so far!
Pros
Great company culture, flexible schedule, good pay, growth opportunities, PTO benefits
Cons
Healthcare
The sad reality of being a krakenite
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 31, 2019
-great people (the one I had the chance to interact with)
-remote
-flexible schedule (more or less)
-maybe great benefits but not so many

-selling the "to infinity and beyond" culture in the beginning but in the end is just a lie (pretty bad to say that the apples are red when they are rotten)
-burnout 100% (pretty hard to get PTO / if your manager is asking for Over Time you have to do it, no room for rejecting respectfully because you will put a target on your back)
-low-standard management on both metrics (K.P.I) and coaching (basically everything is floating around, they have no specific metrics or K.P.I, if today is good to work 50 cases, tomorrow you need to do 150 just to be sure that you are "top-performer"; poor communication between managers and direct reports, most of them are treating the agents like numbers
-no room for growth or self-development because unfortunately is like in politics, you need to know X who is working in the higher management so you can be cool and relaxed about your job, eventually you will end up in a better position or at least the chance will be higher to get a new position (House of Cards style)
-lure skilled & talented people just to dump them in the end without any reasons
Pros
As above
Cons
As above
February 4, 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback and thank you for noting our great people who work very hard to bring the best trading experience to our clients across the world.

We have a flexible PTO policy and try to encourage everyone to take PTO and go off the grid to steer clear of burnout. Our KPIs do fluctuate on the CE team in response to the fluctuating demand in crypto. We strive to have a great culture here and avoid politics as much as possible.

We shared your experience with the appropriate team to evaluate where improvements can be made. We’re sorry that it wasn’t a good fit. We sincerely thank you for your work and wish you the best of luck!

Disrespectful and degrading top management.. culture is not what they sell
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Unprofessional Executive team- they mistreat their employees. If you don’t agree with the Execs, you will be let go. They do not value your opinion. They have extremely poor leadership from the top. Employees’ opinions are completely ignored, even when you go to an Exec about being mistreated by your supervisor. They attract top talent from other companies by selling lies. It’s a completely different culture when you start.
Pros
The talented people they hire with their lies
Cons
Unprofessional, poor leadership, disrespectful Execs, lack of vision and direction
February 1, 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback. While our assessment of the work culture here is not in line with your comments, we have shared your feedback with the necessary parties in order to evaluate your point of view.

We are entitled to varying perceptions of this great company and your frustration is received. We strive to keep a fantastic culture and high degree of professionalism. To our disappointment, we understand it did not meet your needs.

We hope you will find a better fit in your next role and wish you the best of luck!