Kroger

United States34,970 reviews

Found 34,970 reviews matching the searchSee all 35,063 reviews
grocerystoreunioncustomercartdiscountbaggercashier

fun work place

great company to work for!! Pay is good and my co workers are real people! i learn something new on every shift and have every other weekend off. Everyone works together as a team

Pros

grocery discounts

Cons

If it wasn't for the micro-managing, unrealistic expectations, and overly physical stress, I would enjoy my job.

With the decreases in the amount of pay increases and benefits with every contract, you can't rely on this job to live a comfortable life. This industry used to be a very accommodating. No longer. I tell every new young worker to go back to school and get a much better job.

Pros

Somewhat acceptable pay, some employee discounts. Some job security

Cons

Micro- managing, physical wear & tear, accountability not always regulated for all employees. Unrealistic expectations, and like almost all jobs these days: is who you know not what you know.

Fast Paced, but poor management.

Great place for improving your skills, customer service, and growth within the company but takes lots of sacrifices to get there including work life balance & basic needs and requirements when working for a company.

Pros

Hour lunches, growth, multiple positions

Cons

poor management, overwork, no work life balance

clerk work was ok

Some store managers are great, some arent and don't help their veteran employees. Some store managers in particular hover over you if they really don't like you and look for every little thing to get you in trouble for.

Pros

lots of hours to work

Cons

not flexible schedule, forget your average m-f job life

Bad coworkers and even worse management

While I worked at Krogers, a lot of my days at work were miserable. I worked long hours, usually with minimal coworkers. During hot days, I was found clearing the lot by myself for hours on end. Most closing shifts I worked, I was the only person assigned the closing jobs. I would often clear the lot, clean the bathrooms, break room, and floors alone. On days there were coworkers there to assist, they wouldn’t. Most people who worked there were lazy. The management, too, was poor. The managers gave me unfair days and hours, call me into work on my days off, and in result would have me working 5/6 days a week, despite it being a part time job. As a high schooler who originally planned to work there through school, it would’ve been unmanageable.

Pros

Two 30 minute breaks.

Cons

Management, no the best pay, coworkers.

overall good job

flexible hours and days, work can sometimes have little purpose, management does a good job of communicating with employees, good pay for work being done

Good but exhausting

I have worked here for a while and the staff is friendly. Though, there was favoritism, which is the worst, it is nice to know that not everyone is and everyone does their best to help you out. Problem with the job is that they try to call you in a lot. Granted, you have the freedom to say no, but if you are a people pleaser, you will end up working your butt off.

It's a job

It's a job. Lots of hard work for rather low pay, but it is a good first job to take on as a high schooler. Not recommended as a long term career path though.

Sleezy

The first time you were able and I didn’t have a chance I just wanted you know I love and I love and I hope you’re having fun and I’m so proud to have a great time and I’m glad

Terrible Company

I worked here for 7 years and it went downhill fast. The turnover rate was insane, I was doing the job of 12 employees at one time while trying to manage over 100 people!

Pros

Cons

everything

Promises Promises

At the stores where I worked, you were told one thing, but then another happened. Management changed their minds on a whim. I learned to gently push back on what they told me and did the right thing.

Good benefits

Not a bad place to work, union benefits were nice. Getting two days off in a row was always an issue. Managers could be demanding, but your mileage will vary. High turnover.

Stressful w/ bad management

Breaks are minimal and there was strong favoritism among the supervisors based on who was friends. Even when sick, they will try to guilt you come in.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Short breaks

Always kept busy but poor training

Only been working there for about 2 months but so far the work seems easy. However, there are some things that I was not trained for. I.E. how to identify different cuts of meat, customer service.

What is the best part of working at the company?They are not truthful in hiring. They will tell you what you want to hear, then do the exact opposite. They claim to feed the human spirit, but they are dishonest What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Keeping the shelves full with little staff What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Dishonesty from the top of the division. Saddening What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy with stocking fright, regardless of position

Skeleton crew, poor benefits, unrealistic expectations

Kroger for new hires is not a job really meant for staying in. The pay is poor, the benefits are minimum, and the work can be stressful for a job that by its nature just shouldn't be. Throwing stuff onto shelves shouldn't be hard. Kroger keeps changing its methods on HOW to put stuff on shelves and they are getting stricter as a way to combat other stores (i.e. Publix), but they won't hire enough people OR do so with a decent wage. People keep leaving because it's needlessly stressful for a job that doesn't pay enough. We hire new people, but by the time they're caught up enough to be a decent speed, they leave because they've found something better. Management doesn't understand the problem and they don't really care. It's also expected that you stay until the truck is done, which can be over 12 hours because we work on a skeleton crew with new hires. I work with a great team, but there are good people in plenty of jobs that pay better.

Pros

Breaks every two hours, somewhat flexible hours if you're in school

Cons

Stressful, inconsistent, bad management, poor pay, poor benefits

productive

flexible scheduling depending on your availibility. good employee benefits. room to grow career with the company. fast paced environment as it is usually busy.

Love the Charlottesville area Krogers

A great place to work. Organized, management is clear with communication and everyone is a team player! The most rewarding part of my job was giving jobs to people in the community.

Not sure if this is relevant or if there’s new mgmt

I tried calling off from work once because I woke up with a fever at like 2am (I was the opener for Starbucks), and since no one was able to cover for me, I unfortunately had to show up. The team I worked with at Starbucks was outstanding, unfortunately, it was just Kroger’s actual management that wasn’t so great. Hopefully about 10 years after this incident, they gained better leaders.

Not fun

Terrible job. Management played favorites. No clear direction. HR is non existent. The pay is alright. Nothing really good to say. Just don’t work here

Fun co-workers bad managers

Not terrible, not great. For everything, pay, managers, culture. Everything sucked after covid. Turned it into a terrible place to be, turnover, culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kroger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

56%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Kroger with

Kroger reviews by popular job title

• Kroger
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?