Kroger Stores Employee Reviews

Found 26,038 reviews matching the search See all 26,111 reviews
it was a place to work to barely scrape by
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYMarch 21, 2019
Pay is low, fellow workers are friendly but there are barely and hours given and there always screaming for help up front. not to mention by the time i left i was getting only 4hrs a week and would have to rely on being called in. even then that wasn't always reliable. I could barely pay my bills!
Great benefits, terrible management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAMarch 21, 2019
Constantly changing the rules around the store. They like to pick their favorites, and if you do something they don’t like, they make sure you know what you did was wrong. Very hard to feel any type of appreciation around there for any extra hard work you did. Extremely draining for little pay.
Pros
Benefits, discounts
Cons
Pay, management
Did not feel safe
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXMarch 21, 2019
One day these two grown men came to my registrar and wouldn't leave because they wanted my number. I was not willing to do so they would not leave. I tol my manager about it and she did nothing about it. I did not feel safe. It took for a customer to step and call the police.
Overall pretty positive experience.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Peach tree city, GeorgiaMarch 21, 2019
Management was decent. We had really good mangers, and not so good ones. Fortunately, the ones that no one seemed to like, got moved to different stores. I guess Kroger pays attention to how well stores are run, and a lot of it has to do with how well management gets along with everyone. I had trouble getting a raise. I’m not sure that I ever did, and I worked their for four years. Not very good.
Pros
10% discount on Kroger brand items.
Cons
Low pay. I worked at Starbucks, and we weren’t allowed free drinks like other Starbucks because we were owned by Kroger.
A good starter job
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXMarch 21, 2019
Kroger is a great starter job, it teaches you a good sense of responsibility. Teaches you how to manage your time to be the most efficient at your job.
Pros
Good Assistant Management, Fun Environment, Enables me to work within a Team
Cons
Bad Management
Minimum wage, good place to get work experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INMarch 21, 2019
This place is easy to work at, and if you stick with it, you will get a broad array of experience you can take elsewhere. I can't reccomend it beyond an experience stepping stone however.
Stayed for the people
COURTESY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMarch 21, 2019
I stayed at Kroger throughout my high school career and freshman year of college. After a while, I got fed up with the change of managers and felt that it was the appropriate time to leave and pursue a job more geared towards my study.
Kroger does not appreciate the employees
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMarch 21, 2019
I loved my Kroger team, I worked at the corporate office in a customer support role. I thought the team of people I worked with were just great. I don't believe Kroger appreciates them as much as I had.

The manager was inexperienced and ineffective. I was willing to over look the learning curve she had but when it dwarfed into favoritism it was very disappointing. She would communicate team issues with a select few leaving others out and never circled back to those that had been off that day. Most 'team meetings' were circle conversations on one part of the room. As we were in a call center; unless the manager shared the same message a second time on the other side of the room; you were simply left out.

There are some also questionable expectations being placed on employees which were not part of the job description or part of the interview. Kroger blatantly backdated documents or pushed employees to comply. This; frankly is a violation of employee rights.

Each day Kroger would gather their staff to strengthen the message that as a company; we loved our customers and appreciated them. Sadly they do not practice what they preach.
Pros
team members
Cons
unethical management practices
i needed a job
Meat cutter appearance (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXMarch 21, 2019
I needed a job to support my family......my dad worked there for 25 years in the meat department so I know how it goes from working with him and from also growing up.....great for college and high school kids
Pros
benfits
Cons
hours
Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC 27707March 21, 2019
The workplace was very friendly. The other employees were very understanding and helpful. The regular customer was friendly. It was always an enjoyment.
Pros
Weekly paid
Cons
No-overtime

Want to know more about Kroger Stores?

Ask a question
Fun workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 21, 2019
The mangers at Kroger are really nice and understanding I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the people you work with everyone is nice and are easy to talk to
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
no overtime
Great place that is struggling recetly
STAFF PHARMACIST (Former Employee) –  WVMarch 21, 2019
Kroger was pleasant to work for but started to cut back on hours, etc in recent years. Not a very predictable career path nowadays, which is sad. I loved working there
Productive with good hospitatlity
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAMarch 21, 2019
The coworkers who I worked with are great and they help me with anything I had a question about. The workplace was fun to be at at times and the customers that show up have great hospitality which was great, because it matched my energy well.
Lot of work for little pay
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaMarch 21, 2019
I tend to like my direct manager/supervisors. Its the store management that doesn't understand what its like to be little any more that bothers me. They dictate rules and task, that they themselves wouldn't want to do if they were in my position. The fact that you aren't payed much over minimum wage doesn't help the situation either
Pros
week payed vaca and hours
Cons
short lunch break and lack of raises/promotions
Productive work place
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMarch 20, 2019
The company can offer hands on training programs. The company can introduce more diversity. They should offer managers sensitivitivity training. Lastly, they should have more incentivites for their employees.
Pros
Company discount
Cons
Company discount limited to store brand
Politics
Overnight Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 20, 2019
I think it's all politics to be honest. I got looked over for a lot of promotions . It's not what you kno but who you kno. I was with the company for a long time in the same position and always applied for other positions to learn other departments but always got looked over. The straw that broke the camels back is when management promoted a bagger off the front end to a lead management position and I've been with the company for twenty years and never was asked to be in a leadership role. Yes I have the knowledge and experience to do the job. That was the last straw for me. DISCRIMINATION THAT'S HOW I FELT.
Pros
Employees discount, good benefits
Cons
Under paid for your work
Not a bad first job before of during college
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fishers, IN 46037March 20, 2019
This place is a decent place to work, but depending on what department you work, and what stores you work, work might be easy and relaxed, or stressful and quick-paced.
I enjoyed Kroger
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 20, 2019
Kroger was a fast paced environment with good benefits. Managers were awesome, and I made a lot of friends with my coworkers. I would definitely recommend working here.
Productive and very courteous
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaMarch 20, 2019
Very tedious. You gain both customer service skills and register skills. There is no "hard part" in my job. Most enjoyable part is engaging with customers.
Horrible place to work!!!
Pharmacy Clerk/Technician (Current Employee) –  Monroe, MIMarch 20, 2019
Kroger does not care about the employees, they only look at numbers and money and if you aren't meeting certain outrageous goals you are talked down to like an idiot! I planned on retiring from Kroger but during the last 2 years of no raises and being treated like garbage, i think I'll find employment somewhere else that will actually appreciate the hard work my team does!!!!!
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
minimum wage, treated like garbage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kroger Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

56.5K
47.7K
37.2K
22.6K
12K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Kroger Stores.

Powered by Comparably