KT&G USA
Happiness rating is 54 out of 100

Working at KT&G USA: 42 Reviews

United States42 reviews

Out of business

I was with the company for three years and then they decided to close up shop. We had a very successful run, but in the end I guess it was not enough. SR management was all Korean and they were not transparent about most things. Direct supervisors (RSMs) were the backbone of an account manager. Some areas had good ones, some very poor that didn’t belong in the position. Luckily I had a good one. SR management micromanaged very strictly, but overall I would still be with the company if they were still in business. I enjoyed my job.

Hard work pays off

Pros - Treated with respect, good place to work Remote sales work. Good pay and benefits with company car. Cons - Company does micromanage employees.

KT&G USA insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment

fun working and meeting new people

This company is no longer operational in the USA for and undetermined time. However I really enjoyed working for them. If they were to ever start selling in the US again I would definitely attempt to work for them.

Good Base Salary, Bad Management

The company itself has no goals or direction. Things change every month. Upper management comes and goes from South Korea. There are no advancement opportunities. There is no stability. Each region does things differently. Some managers don’t care, others do. My direct manager was fantastic to work with. Anyone above him couldn’t care less if they tried, because they would just be sent back to Korea in six months anyways. Bonuses are not tailored to your area, so you with 700 accounts would have the same goals as someone with 3000. You are also not an Account Manager. You are doing cold calls only and placing signage to hit a bonus. They do not care about building relationships with existing accounts. Take the job if you’re in a pinch, but overall there are better opportunities out there.

Pros

Good inexpensive health insurance, company car

Cons

Management doesn’t care, No advancement opportunities, No direction or goal. Last minute changes and last minute out of town business with no prep time

Easy job

Easy job, terrible management. Put in bad situations because they didn’t pay the customers! Everything was unorganized and had a new manager every 3 months.

Terrible Company

KT&G is a terrible company to work for. They don't train you and give you unreachable goals and treat you terribly. It is not just me who feels this way, it is all of their American workforces. Don't work here, even if you are desperate, you will regret it.

Pros

Cons

Micro Managing, unrealistic expectations, no upward mobility

Be willing to learn

99% of this job is your willingness to learn and grow professionally. If you are the type to keep the same momentum and not put forth a lot of effort, you will not like this company. It is a different culture, but it challenges you to be better.

Pros

Free Lunches, Awesome campus

Some of these reviews aren't wrong

Some of these reviews are not wrong. KT&G is a tough company to work for. Things change all the time without much notice. You have to almost be willing to be on24/7 to get ahead in this company. They do not care what you have done for them in the past, they mostly care about what you are doing for them right now. Account managers are held to the highest of high standards. I will be honest KT&G USA changed my life for the good when it comes to money..I worked hard my first year and half and got rewarded nicely. I made what to me was life changing money. But they have changed the bonuses and it is way harder to make great money now.I will give you the good here. I have met some good co-workers. I have built a few relationships that will last way pass my time a KT&G. Having the company car and gas and maintenance card is great. I have attained a lot of knowledge in this job.Now the Bad...no 401k....lack of clear ladder for promotions....lots of windshield time...lack of support from the office. Account manager are under the microscope but the office seems to get away with being inefficient..HR...It has improved since I was hired when I was asked to text my DL photo and social security card to a random number...Your home life will change forever when it comes to this job..It is tough to turn off work.If you want to work hard and are willing to say YES and not ask WHY...you will succeed here. You will get frustrated a lot but find a friend that is in the field and you will grow as a person..

Pros

company car

Cons

some toxic co-workers, lack of a true vision

The worst company I have ever seen in my life!

Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at KT&G USA are OK. All young Korean people in upper management. One or 2 Americans in upper management. All puppts. Micromanagement all the time

GOOD - Hard work and positive results are rewarded. BAD - bad issues have been corrected

Best company I’ve ever worked for, no question!! Please don’t believe other reviews written by disgruntled former employees who simply didn’t do their job and were released. What many call micromanaging, I simply call it accountability. It’s just a part of doing business in the 21st century. Hard work, dedication and results are rewarded handsomely with this company. That’s just a fact!! I’ve been with the company several years now and have been rewarded by the company in the form of pay raises, incentive bonuses and yes...Promotion to management....and I am not Korean!!! The company is much more structured now and their is a clear path of advancement within the company.

Pros

Company is still growing, great time to jump on board and be a part of the growth and advancement

Cons

None to speak of, most of which I encountered in the early stages have been corrected and we’ve moved on

Fun, West Region team to work with

Had fun working with the company, independently working , but very very micromanaged company where you are taking pictures constantly. Very very strict on last picture at a certain time of day. Monthly spiffs were excellent, following through getting paid, double checked by two other managers. Then they will change the incentives program during the month and then you do not qualify. Head people in corporate office do not understand a true asset to the company. They make plenty of mistakes

Ex employee

They find every way to screw you out of your bonuses and they grade account managers on how many signs they put up. Negative emails from corporate everyday. Headquarters has one way to do things and Regional offices do it THEIR way, so your always wondering which way is right! They also don’t trust employees (Americans) and they are a Korean owned company.

Very pleased to be witnessing company’s tremendous growth!

I have been working for KT&G USA several years now and very pleased to be witnessing company’s tremendous growth and proud that my small contribution was also a part of these successful sales and marketing campaigns. Over last couple of years, company had the significant sales volume increase, notable market share and implemented enhancement of management system successfully for various departments and divisions. Company also has strengths in terms of competitive salary with annual merit increasement, result oriented incentives, competitive benefit package even extended coverage to immediate family members, great communication and supports of liaisons from each department and of course promotion opportunities always right around the corner.

Productive and well managed

I noticed this company has improved and has taken employee feedback on a regular basis and have made much changes with the feedback in mind. Management is in regular contact and very good about directing my career. Communication is constant and response is given back regularly. Benefits are good with included paternity leave and opportunity of salary increase and bonus is plentiful.

Do not even consider it.

They systematically dispose of American employees after they get what they want from them. They do not trust Americans. They think we are lazy and know nothing about business

Lots of opportunity for growth

This is a startup company that has grown rapidly, with all companies there are the good and bad, but for me it has been a good decision to join. It's a good place to be able to learn new things, make an impact, and has room for growth.

Major issues

Major issues here. To me, the main problem lies in the fact that it seems that the Account Manager position is the only position that has strict quality standards. They have a newly created “quality control” department. That department only reviews the work of account managers, (account managers now have their work reviewed by a minimum of 3 people). Meanwhile, accounting may mail out checks to retailers late with no problem. Marketing won’t send you the right POSM, with no repercussions. The warehouse won’t have cigarettes to send to wholesalers with no repercussions. The only person with repercussions are the account managers. If the company would ever realize that account managers are their most important employees in terms of keeping store owners happy, it would do them a world of good. Store owners want to have long term relationships with their accounts managers.

Revolving door for account managers do not recommend working here only good thing about working for KT&G is that it gets you in to the tobacco industr

The interview process was a little off they were asking all kinds of personal Questions. Do not expect to get a bonus that is promised to you for doing your job I was gypped out of many Bonuses. They do not care about family life it's all about work with KT&G. Company is super micro managed for example you have to take pictures of everything and post it on salesforce like getting gas heavy traffic or even if you get a flat tire on your company vehicle. I really would not recommend this job.

Horrible...The company was good until they removed all American managers and office personnel. South Korean's do not trust Americans, and it shows.

The company makes a "one size fits all" for monthly job quotas, even though, all territories are different. Management is switched out every 2-3 months. They are arrogant and want to run the business like they do in other countries where tobacco laws are few. They cannot speak or understand English very well, but that is your fault and not theirs in their minds. They care more about how many signs you put up at a gas station than how much your sales increase is. They ask for your opinion in increasing sales in your area, then cut you off mid-sentence and tell you their plan. You will do their plan...period.

No clear direction

KT&G USA is and Will be a success. the areas I pointed out below show opportunity for improvement. No clearly stated company direction Poor implementation of system and operational changes. Picular incentive and motivational programs .

It’s the worst company

Each second they change them mind You can’t trust them at all They are laying always Each one in the company blaming the other for wrong decision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KT&G USA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about KT&G USA in popular locations

• KT&G USA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?