KURARAY AMERICA Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Serious Work Place with Smiley Faces.
None (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 3, 2018
- Management: Has no knowledge of what the goals are, and what their team supposed to do.
- Learning: I learned NOTHING... They look for someone to hit the ground running.
- Typical Day at Work: Load people booking nails and hair saloon appointments over the phone.
- Enjoyable Part of the Job: Empty parking space!
Pros
Salary, Culture, 95% of the people here are awesome
Cons
5% of the people are buzz killing, annoying, and incompetent.... The Coffee is Horrible.
Consummate Professionals
IT Technician/Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 26, 2018
They gave me a chance to prove myself, and I will forever be grateful. I was put in a position where I had to use skills that I had not needed in years. Supporting a 24/7 operation is intense, and I had a lot to learn. They provided me with the necessary support to do my job, along with the necessary independence to enhance my skills.
Pros
challenging, demanding
Cons
24/7 operation provides very little time for rest
Overall a good company if you want to contribute
Senior HSE Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 14, 2018
A great company of you are looking for a place to be an individual contributor to company goals. There isn't a lack of projects or ways to make a difference. A growing global company.
Not worth the stress
Sales (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2018
Poor communication, employees uninformed by management. Unrealistic expectations. Hostile work environment with employees that are rude and bully others with no reprimands.
Great Company
Accounting Assistant (contract) (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Kuraray is a great company lots of good people. Very smart group of workers. They are ahead in safety and very good at keeping everyone in the plant safe.
A lot of work, But always a good time!
Maintenance Storeroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 20, 2017
I worked at the POVAL Business Unit. This was a wonderful working experience and environment. Do your job, follow the rules, be involved and you will get far. One mistake though they are known to let you go. It is okay though, that is the nature of the beast in this type of field.
Pros
Steady Pace, Be honest, Good management, Young culture
Cons
Demands, Work schedule not fixed a lot of early and lates (changes)
Awesome Experience!
Process Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 16, 2017
This was my first internship at a chemical plant. The entire work staff was very welcoming and helpful from my first to last day of my internship. I learned lots of practical information and was exposed to an actual chemical process.

The hardest part of the job is trying to connect classroom material to real-life problems, but the effort is worth the extra studying.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn from professionals with years of experience.
Most political place I have worked for.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 30, 2017
For the most part this was a good company and I had a great job. But there was a lot of politics involved in the Tech Service part. More than the normal. My direct boss had his own agenda and motives.
Pros
Avdey is awesome
Cons
Middle managers are the worst, will do anything for their own gain, including throwing you under the bus
Fun
Project Management & Engineering (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2016
Very grateful to work in place like Kuraray. Its a warm hearted company to work for. The plant manager treats everyone the same.
Entrepreneur's Dream
Independent Manufacturer's Rep (Former Employee) –  Northern CA West HalfMarch 18, 2015
Excellent company with exceptional R&D and products.
Offers great opportunity to grow large territory. Independent contractor basis. Motivate, train and encourage 70-80 dealer representatives to promote Kuraray products. Attend Dental Society meetings in evenings to promote directly to dentists. Lunch and learn presentations directly to dentists and staff at their offices. Give presentations to dealer partnering companies to promote representatives to sell Kuraray. Co-travel days with dealer reps. Attend and support lectures and trade shows.

Enjoy the flexibility and ability to creatively direct and manage territory.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
1099 basis / no medical, dental or retirement benefits
Great Place to get Experience.
QC Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 17, 2014
Coming out of school is definitely a great company to get you started in the chemical industry, however it does not mean that everyone has a clear path for advancement. This is a company that like many other values engineers in production.
The management is a joke.
Operations (Former Employee) –  Pasadena TXJune 3, 2014
Safety is non existing in this plant (Eval) it's get the job done any way you can and management turns their head. They have a safety program that is just paper work no real meaning behind it. The company as a whole is not bad it's just the middle management ( the click) at this plant. Operators are treated like children and talked down too. If you have any operations experience this is not the plant for you . If your straight out of school and have no where else to go get a year or two here and run. Benefits are below the industry standard no pension and a joke of a bonus program. Money is not bad but you will be worked and treated like a dog to get it.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
The click( which as spread to other plants in the company)
Kuraray America BayPort TX
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of making sure all the users were able to be productive on the network. Provided Maintenance on PCs and Servers. Laid back environment, Management was understanding and provided any tools needed to do the job. Enjoyable work environment.
Shipping Clerk Responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill SCSeptember 25, 2013
Very interesting work Fast paced environment
stayed busy
coworkers were helpful
Pros
Good place and good people
Unique Opportunity
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2013
My day-to-day is exciting and interesting. Challenging, absolutely. I have, however, gotten to learn and grow into a role that would not be made available to me at a larger company. I enjoy the ability to work with management as well as the opportunity to work with international collegues. The challenges? This job isnt clear cut. You have to make it what you want. International team work is not there but I look forward to making this position my own.
Pros
Travel, Vast Responsibility, Macro-Management
Cons
Vast Responsibility, Macro-Management
Just the good old boys.
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TexasFebruary 10, 2013
If you're into rubbing elbows with management and policies that apply to some and not others you'll fit right in. Employees their are in fear of reporting ANY injury no matter the severity but at the same time are supplied with improper tools and equipment to perform their jobs safely. It's a great place to learn and develop experience and skill but the dangers of operating it our substantial. Example: removing the build up of paste by hand/or with a tool that was not designed for such use at a particular barrel slit of a twin screw extruder running at 2,000+ rpms.Instead of slowing down production somewhat or fixing the problem with the leaking paste at the slit it's simpler for management to subject their employees to the danger of trying to remove it. Personal/mechanical/electrical safeties are bypassed throughout the plant, valves that are partially functional or totally inoperable aren't replaced in a timely manner. Their control system is a joke. Though process controls are calibrated and checked the use of bypasses runs rampant. Ventilation systems are barely operable at times when it comes to removing chemical vapors from work areas. Mechanical strand cutters that have KNOWN issues are babied until management decides they've wasted enough product all while their operators are silenced and forced to work harder due to the lack of support from management. Example: A particular mechanical strand cutter up there needed bearing replacement for well over a year but management would not listen to it's employees who work on the cutters day in day out, when the cutters failed  more... the repercussions were enormous. So if brown nosing management, working in dangerous areas, working with improper tools and equipment is what you prefer then you'll fit right in. It's a good old boy, buddy buddy environment at Kuraray.

Kuraray, manipulating you right !
Pros
day shift breakfast on weekends, non management co-workers
Cons
no pension, no union, lack of safety, low moral, selective advancement, not everyone can sleep while at work, no disciplinary action when caught.
Great benefits
Sr. Customer Service Representative / Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2012
hectic
fast paced
Management was not good
Production plant employees were great
time at the plant