Kurtz EMS Employee Reviews for Paramedic

Kurtz Ambulance Illinois
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Flossmoor, ILApril 11, 2018
I was suckered out of a decently run Ambulance service to work at Kurtz for more money, wasn't worth it! Bad management, bad co-workers that were incompetent & dispatchers that sounded like they didn't have a clue. Stacking more & more calls, being late all the time making staff at the facilities angry (as well as any family with the patient) at YOU & not the dispatch. Probably the dirtiest Ambulances I've ever been in.
The only positive things were you got uniform items in a week or less & your health insurance came within a month.
The quarters were nasty too!
Pros
Health Insurance under 1 month
Cons
Too many more to submit here.
Horrible company. Avoid!
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILApril 15, 2017
I worked on the tinley contract. The manager is a moron that has never worked on a 911 contract. The company is horrible. Frequent holdovers for 48 hours. Pay their medics $11 an hour regardless of experience and then treat you like you are disposable. Corporate dosent listen to suggestions and they only use type2 van ambos for their 911 contract. Garbage company. Avoid at all costs
Pros
None. They suck
Cons
Working conditions, pay, management
Poor Management
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Palos Heights, ILMarch 5, 2017
Starting pay as a PARAMEDIC is 10.50 an hour.
Let that sink in.
Lots of calls, almost all are non-emergent.
As a medic, we work 24 hour shifts and do mostly discharge transports from hospitals to nursing homes. Terrible work/life balance. Most of the shift is spent staying up all night operating as a taxi driver. No one wants to work here and usually quits relatively quickly so there is always overtime and shifts that no one wants and so we get forced back for overtime.

Its a red flag that they are ALWAYS HIRING. Hopefully you don't fall for it.

Worst part is the management and dispatchers. They run you all day and don't seem to have a good handle on anything that's going on. But you cant expect them to care, because they get paid 11 dollars an hour.

Pros:?

Cons: low pay, unwanted overtime, lack of sleep, non-emergencies, bad dispatching, poor management.

Would never recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, dispatching, non-emergencies
Best private ambulance in the area
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 28, 2015
They always have overtime available which I love, I've been given gift cards on more than one occasion for picking up overtime when they were slow on the schedule. My health insurance is really affordable, it was double the cost at the other private I worked for. I have no complaints about pay because I get a raise every year and when I went to paramedic school they worked with me on scheduling and are now reimbursing me for medic school!!!

I've never had a problem with management in the almost 3 years I've been here, but I've seen co workers get in trouble for being late then getting mad they got in trouble..
Pros
Benefits, overtime, yearly raise, paying for medic school
Not a good place to work.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  IngallsMay 26, 2015
This company has a policy of mandatory 24 hour holdover if they are short handed. If you do not stay for the holdover, you will be terminated such as I was. I have a family and I told them I could not stay because I had to take care of my young kids. They have no regard for you or your family. They want you to bend over backwards for them and they won't take no for an answer. Pay is 10.50hr for Medics and even with all the overtime it is still not enough. Most runs are medcar BS or dialysis. Kurtz doesn't care if you eat or sleep. Many shifts I was up for the entire 24hr shift or only had a few hours of sleep. It is difficult to find anyone to switch shifts with you. So good luck having time off and if you do switch you'll end up working a 48 because you can never just 'give up' a shift. This was one of the worst places I have ever worked as an EMT/Paramedic. The only place worse is the company that went out of business.
Pros
a job
Cons
Running your rear off for no pay and constant 48hr shifts
Do NOT work here
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILMarch 26, 2015
24 hr shift but most were 48s. Wouldn't be too bad but you are let known 20 mins before EOS that you are forced to stay, or if someone else doesn't show up. Run, run, run. I don't mind being busy but they have no regard for their employees and it shows. They way they talk to you and treat you. No where to go as as far as advancement. Pay for Medics $10.50 with no experience pay. Basics make minimum wage. Facilities where they put you up are dirty. I was working 96+ hrs a week and still not able to pay my bills. Management is a joke. Most of what you do will be MedCar and they will try to force you to write it up as BLS for the $. Talk to employees before applying here.
Pros
Cons
everything