KVC Health Systems Employee Reviews

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Parsons, KSSeptember 19, 2018
I believe the translation from the latin covers it better than I could. "The thing speaks for itself."

95% of the people at the agency were easy to get along with, hard working folk. About 5% were the reason that the attrition rate hovered at 44% during my tenure. I was the last of 4 therapists for 2 counties in extreme southeast Kansas. My position, after 2 years, has not been filled.
Pros
Helping high needs children in need of care.
Cons
A middle management person.
Meets my expectations
QA (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 11, 2018
I am a new hire at the Topeka location. A current employee spoke HIGHLY of this company so I was more than excited to apply. I only have an Associate's degree in this field. No other agency would hire me because I didn't meet the education requirements. The pay is good for the work that I do. It has not been stressful so far. But I am well aware that it's coming. I am prepared. It comes with the territory. Sink or swim, right? I am attending classes to obtain my BSW and so on. I plan to retire as a Social Worker with this company. Everyone I work with is helpful and knowledgeable. The company itself is employee AND client oriented. People Matter.
Pros
Highly rewarding. Excited to come to work here.
Cons
No tuition reimbursement.
September 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your initial impressions of KVC. We are delighted to have you aboard the team. Be sure to utilize the support and guidance of your supervisors as you get more and more familiar with your new job. That’s what they’re there for and they will do their best to ensure you swim, not sink.

While KVC does offer a very generous benefits package to our employees, tuition reimbursement is not within our budget at this time. However, you may be interested in checking out the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). You can find more information about it at https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.com/student-loan-relief-programs/non-profit-student-loan-forgiveness/

KVC is constantly on the cutting edge of development and programming in Child Welfare
Community Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 7, 2018
KVC allows an employee tremendous opportunities for upward mobility. Depending on what department you're in, stress can play a significant role as well.
Pros
Great vision with great leadership
Cons
Stressful and sometimes difficult to get ideas heard and implemented
September 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your impressions of KVC. One can encounter a certain amount of stress and change working in a child welfare nonprofit. Through the efforts of dedicated employees like you, KVC constantly works to find innovative solutions to challenging situations because, at the heart of it all, we know that people matter. Thank you for being part of that mission.

Hard place to work but rewarding at times
COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 28, 2018
The job is trying! Some days you see miracles and next you see the worst. The trauma most of the kids here have suffered would break moat people's hearts and it's our job to provide a caring and supportive climate for them to heal in. Not a job that everyone can stand but definitely a great opportunity to help kids through tough times.
Pros
An occasional free lunch or snacks.
Cons
Dealing with kids at some of the worst situations of their lives
September 2, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing your insights. As you know, the heart of our work is helping people, especially the children. KVC relies on dedicated, mission-driven individuals like yourself to work with families and children authentically and compassionately toward the goal of seeing every person safe and connected to a strong family and a healthy community. We are grateful for your contribution to this vital effort and your patience and steadiness in the face of sometimes very trying circumstances. Thank you for doing what you do, for recognizing that people matter, and for staying the course and being part of the solution to a very big challenge.

Take a certain type of person to do the job
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSAugust 6, 2018
The job can be very rewarding and draining at the same time. You are taking kids in foster care everyday to visit parents and it can be very humbling and sad. Some days are rewarding and others are not.
August 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It’s very true that the work is emotionally challenging at times, but so very necessary when it comes to providing safe transportation for children in foster care due to abuse, neglect or other family challenges. You probably witnessed many different examples of people trying to make changes in their life, which can be difficult on parents and children alike. KVC is grateful for the time you invested in striving to help us realize our vision of seeing “every person safe and connected to a strong family and a healthy community.”

Very family based and focused
Transporter/Driver (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 3, 2018
I enjoy working for this company and the opportunity it provides towards experience and developing careers. It has allowed me to grow in education and identify what I want to do in this career
Pros
Group involvement
Cons
High turnover
August 18, 2018

Thank you for your thoughts. We truly appreciate your commitment to KVC and the children we serve. We look forward to working with you in helping you grow and develop in your career.

Could be better/Could be worse
Permanency Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSJuly 31, 2018
Job and work life balance is difficult. Would be beneficial to have job advancements and opportunity to be reimbursed for schooling. It would be more of an appeal for the type of work if job reimbursement/pay dependent on skills and amount of schooling completed.
Benefits
Cons
Workload
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely share your ideas with Human Resources as another way to enhance our already sizeable benefits package. In the meantime, you may be interested in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). You can find more information about it at https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.com/student-loan-relief-programs/non-profit-student-loan-forgiveness/

High work loads with minimal management support
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at KVC if you worked alone as a case manager included tracking each child on your case load and scheduling a Worker/Child visit, schedule parent/child interaction visits. Write court reports to the Court at least 3 weeks prior to your assigned court date. You would have to transport children who are on one night placements from their placement back to the office and be with them while you are working due to them being your child on your case load. You would have to perform drug testing to parents who came in on the day of their color. Once you scheduled visitations with children and parents you would have to supervise or monitor the visit and record what happened. When worker child visits were scheduled you would have to commute to the placement's residence and visit the child in the home. You were also expected to log each interaction of all of these. You would also be on an on call rotation with the permanency team and could potentially sleep in the office with a child(s) if no placements were found.
Pros
Closed from 12-1pm for lunch
Cons
had to choose between work life and family life
July 15, 2018

Thank you for giving a description of what your job as a case coordinator entailed. We are sorry to hear that your overall experience was that the workload was high. We just made a significant change that is already reducing caseloads, giving staff more quality time with children and families and better work/life balance. That change was to secure a state contract amendment to allow people with related college degrees to do case coordination work. We have reduced job vacancies for licensed positions by 75% in just one month through this change, which has a positive effect on the entire team. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best.

KVC is not an exemplary place to work
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 10, 2018
There was very little direction, the manager had favorites, and they worked us to the bone. Days were 10 hours long without overtime. People quit often so there was never enough social workers to do the work.
July 12, 2018

We're sorry about the workload you went through. We are currently hiring more staff with degrees related to social workers which should greatly decrease case loads.

Good ole’ girls club
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 2, 2018
As long as the right manager liked you, you could shine at KVC. They do not like independent thinkers and micromanage every move. It is do as I say, not do as I do.
Pros
Mission to help children
Cons
Managers are clickish
July 12, 2018

We're sorry you had this experience. Our management team is always willing to listen to our employees. We encourage all our workers to speak with us one-on-one when issues arise.

ok
Permanency Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJune 1, 2018
If you live within 30 miles it'd be ok job. Benefits are good including retirement. Coworkers are great. Management pushes for self care. Just isn't the job for me.
August 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on KVC. There are so many wonderful benefits to working here, not the least of which is being part of such a valuable mission of “enriching and enhancing the lives of children and families by providing medical and behavioral healthcare, social services and education.” We realize the challenges inherent in the work are considerable and that’s why KVC strives to offer such good benefits for employees. I encourage you to consult with your supervisor to strategize possible ways to reduce the strain of the travel aspect of the job and how you might fit time for self-care into your busy schedule. The work you do is so valuable and needed and greatly appreciated.

n/a
INTAKE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 26, 2018
Teamwork is difficult to come by in this company, making this a revolving door of employees. The job itself is filled with stressful situations, requiring a need for teamwork, which is severely lacking.
July 12, 2018

We greatly stress the importance of teamwork and self-care at KVC. We apologize that you feel like you weren't supported. We're in the process of greatly increasing the amount of social workers in order to decrease caseloads and improve morale.

KVC Behavioral Healthcare
Family Services Coordinator, Child Placing Agency (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 20, 2018
While I the job was very stressful at times, I enjoyed my time at KVC and wanted/planned to retire with the agency, after nine years with the agency, I was laid off without notice.
Pros
Team members at the time.
Cons
Salary
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your response and for your nine years of service in support of the children we serve here at KVC. No doubt you had many wonderful and fulfilling experiences in your time here. We thank you for persevering through those stressful times as well. Unfortunately, in order to meet the needs of our clients and contracts, we must continuously review and make staffing adjustments when necessary. While some areas decrease, we have some departments that grow. I would recommend watching for future openings that might interest you. Good luck to you in all you do in the future and thank you again for the work you did here at KVC.

Stressful, Violent, Under Staffed, Frequent Pay Mistakes
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 5, 2018
The organization as a whole is unorganized They recently “lost” over 70 of their foster kids.

The hospital units house acute psychiatric kids who are there for 3-5 days along with kids who are violent with severe behavioral issues who have been there for up to 2 years. Anyone working in this field knows the standard of care will be much lower. They accept a state grant which forces them to keep violent clients. Your child who need his meds adjusted might be roommates with a kid there who beat his mother and is housed there only because the jails are overcrowded.

Every week I see workers comp paperwork due to employees being injured by clients. The hospital doesn’t offer short or long term disability or light duty benefits either.

My pay has been wrong and many of my staff regularly have missing hours as well.

The pay is right in the middle of the scale for this kind of work. You can get plenty of overtime. If you’re a strong staff member you will be placed with the most difficult clients daily unless you stand up for yourself.

If you’re thinking about working here make sure you’ve checked out all your options.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Violent Clients
July 11, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. When you refer to KVC Kansas “losing 70 children in foster care”, that is not true. 79 youth in foster care are “missing.” Of those, 65 kids ran away from placement, 1 parent abduction, 5 kids taken by families before the department could pick up the kids. 8 kids are suspected runaway, but not confirmed. Our incredible staff immediately inform law enforcement and DCF when a young person is thought to have run away or otherwise gone missing, and then follow a detailed protocol to help bring them safely home. We treat every child with great care and urgency. While this is a serious issue, please note that it is comparable to the number of missing/runaway youth in each state’s child welfare system.

Within KVC Hospitals, the children and teens we care for may have experienced trauma or have a mental illness and haven’t learned how to express themselves in a healthy way. That is why we are there – to help them learn how to express their feelings with words and understand their emotions. We train our employees on how to de-escalate any situation that may become heightened.

As a Campus Supervisor, you know that every employee is responsible for verifying their time is correct each week before payroll closes. This is stated in the Staff Handbook and we frequently communicate this via email, monthly Boosters, and postings on campus. Any errors that are the fault of Payroll are corrected immediately. Last month the Payroll department rolled out a Payroll Inquiry Form for all supervisors to use if they have an employee with a discrepancy. If you have experienced  more... any issues with your paycheck, please contact the HR department or speak with your supervisor. We would like the opportunity to correct any issues.

We do offer extended and short-term disability. These benefits are separate from light duty work accommodation requests which sometimes arise due to a workplace injury. For more education on workers’ compensation and available benefits, please review the Staff Handbook or contact Human Resources.

We frequently compare our compensation and benefit plans against similar organizations in the metro area. We do this through vetted third parties, personal interviews, and other sources. We continue to find that we are on par, or slightly better than some of our competitors. Additionally, as you know through our recent Open Enrollment process, this year we were excited to roll out enhanced benefits plans with some much lower cost options for our employees. Thank you!

There was not enough time in the day to do everything you needed for your client
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSMay 3, 2018
My supervision was spotty if at all. Kids in the office daily. I felt more like a babysitter than a case manager. Everyone around you is stressed. Lack of training
Pros
There are good people there but they don't last long
Cons
Supervision, Support, Management
July 12, 2018

We've recently made great progress in reducing the amount of children in the offices to allow case managers to focus on their primary work, and we've been increasing the amount of training available to employees.

Kvc
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 1, 2018
KVC is a place where I can not advance due to my education and due to being here since June 13, 2016 those that have been hired after me, start out making more then me.
August 20, 2018

We are excited to report that KVC very recently made a significant change in early July to secure a state contract amendment allowing people with related college degrees to do case coordination work. We reduced job vacancies for licensed positions by 75% in just one month through this change. We have also been able to promote some current employees who had formerly been unable to move into a licensed position due to their lack of a degree specifically in social work. I encourage you to open a dialogue with your supervisor to see how, and if, this change might apply to your particular situation. Together you can map out a strategic plan to align your personal career goals with that of KVC’s mission, vision and values in a way that is satisfactory to all.

High turnover and lack of training
line staff (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 29, 2018
KVC does not train staff adequately. This adds to the already highly stressful job. KVC is understaffed and has a high turnover rate. Staff who perform well are required to do more and more while those who perform poorly are no held accountable.
Pros
Helping children and families in times of crisis
Cons
long hours, high stress, poor training
July 12, 2018

We have been increasing staff greatly recently to reduce the amount of caseloads an individual has. We've also implemented new training strategies to ensure staff is confident in the field.

Stressful and Fast paced job with lot of trial by fire training
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSApril 28, 2018
I worked at KVC when they first took over the contract in Kansas. There was training but it was all distance learning and the equipment didn't normally work. The caseloads were outrageous and just increasing with each Case Manager that quit. They started me at the bare minimum which was 30,000 a year even though I was working 40 plus hours. Job performance outweighed all else when I worked there.
Pros
You learn stuff fast because you will get in trouble if you don't do it right.
Cons
Workload
July 12, 2018

Sorry about your experience. We've been increasing staff recently and have also allowed for individuals with related degrees to social work to work with children and families. This will greatly reduce caseloads.

Not for me
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 24, 2018
I learned a lot from working at KVC but I couldn't imagine staying for the long haul. I decided to leave due to mistreatment and I believe I had served my purpose.
August 18, 2018

Thank you for the time and commitment you put into your work here at KVC. As you know, the work we do in helping every child be safe and connected in a strong family is absolutely vital, not just to that child, but to the health and strength of our society as a whole. Healthy people make for healthy communities. I’m sorry you felt you had been mistreated in some way. I do hope you were able to share your concerns in that regard with our Human Resources people so that steps could be taken to ensure no other employee experiences the same issue.

work life
Accountin Manager/Interim Director (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 23, 2018
KVC has a great work life balance. I worked there for 8 years and enjoyed my time there. I would recommend KVC as a good place to make your career choice
July 12, 2018

Thank you! We appreciate all you did to help children and families.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KVC Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about