KVC Health Systems Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
High work loads with minimal management support
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at KVC if you worked alone as a case manager included tracking each child on your case load and scheduling a Worker/Child visit, schedule parent/child interaction visits. Write court reports to the Court at least 3 weeks prior to your assigned court date. You would have to transport children who are on one night placements from their placement back to the office and be with them while you are working due to them being your child on your case load. You would have to perform drug testing to parents who came in on the day of their color. Once you scheduled visitations with children and parents you would have to supervise or monitor the visit and record what happened. When worker child visits were scheduled you would have to commute to the placement's residence and visit the child in the home. You were also expected to log each interaction of all of these. You would also be on an on call rotation with the permanency team and could potentially sleep in the office with a child(s) if no placements were found.
Pros
Closed from 12-1pm for lunch
Cons
had to choose between work life and family life
July 15, 2018

Thank you for giving a description of what your job as a case coordinator entailed. We are sorry to hear that your overall experience was that the workload was high. We just made a significant change that is already reducing caseloads, giving staff more quality time with children and families and better work/life balance. That change was to secure a state contract amendment to allow people with related college degrees to do case coordination work. We have reduced job vacancies for licensed positions by 75% in just one month through this change, which has a positive effect on the entire team. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best.

KVC is not an exemplary place to work
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 10, 2018
There was very little direction, the manager had favorites, and they worked us to the bone. Days were 10 hours long without overtime. People quit often so there was never enough social workers to do the work.
July 12, 2018

We're sorry about the workload you went through. We are currently hiring more staff with degrees related to social workers which should greatly decrease case loads.

Good ole’ girls club
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 2, 2018
As long as the right manager liked you, you could shine at KVC. They do not like independent thinkers and micromanage every move. It is do as I say, not do as I do.
Pros
Mission to help children
Cons
Managers are clickish
July 12, 2018

We're sorry you had this experience. Our management team is always willing to listen to our employees. We encourage all our workers to speak with us one-on-one when issues arise.

n/a
INTAKE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 26, 2018
Teamwork is difficult to come by in this company, making this a revolving door of employees. The job itself is filled with stressful situations, requiring a need for teamwork, which is severely lacking.
July 12, 2018

We greatly stress the importance of teamwork and self-care at KVC. We apologize that you feel like you weren't supported. We're in the process of greatly increasing the amount of social workers in order to decrease caseloads and improve morale.

KVC Behavioral Healthcare
Family Services Coordinator, Child Placing Agency (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 20, 2018
While I the job was very stressful at times, I enjoyed my time at KVC and wanted/planned to retire with the agency, after nine years with the agency, I was laid off without notice.
Pros
Team members at the time.
Cons
Salary
Stressful, Violent, Under Staffed, Frequent Pay Mistakes
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 5, 2018
The organization as a whole is unorganized They recently “lost” over 70 of their foster kids.

The hospital units house acute psychiatric kids who are there for 3-5 days along with kids who are violent with severe behavioral issues who have been there for up to 2 years. Anyone working in this field knows the standard of care will be much lower. They accept a state grant which forces them to keep violent clients. Your child who need his meds adjusted might be roommates with a kid there who beat his mother and is housed there only because the jails are overcrowded.

Every week I see workers comp paperwork due to employees being injured by clients. The hospital doesn’t offer short or long term disability or light duty benefits either.

My pay has been wrong and many of my staff regularly have missing hours as well.

The pay is right in the middle of the scale for this kind of work. You can get plenty of overtime. If you’re a strong staff member you will be placed with the most difficult clients daily unless you stand up for yourself.

If you’re thinking about working here make sure you’ve checked out all your options.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Violent Clients
July 11, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. When you refer to KVC Kansas “losing 70 children in foster care”, that is not true. 79 youth in foster care are “missing.” Of those, 65 kids ran away from placement, 1 parent abduction, 5 kids taken by families before the department could pick up the kids. 8 kids are suspected runaway, but not confirmed. Our incredible staff immediately inform law enforcement and DCF when a young person is thought to have run away or otherwise gone missing, and then follow a detailed protocol to help bring them safely home. We treat every child with great care and urgency. While this is a serious issue, please note that it is comparable to the number of missing/runaway youth in each state’s child welfare system.

Within KVC Hospitals, the children and teens we care for may have experienced trauma or have a mental illness and haven’t learned how to express themselves in a healthy way. That is why we are there – to help them learn how to express their feelings with words and understand their emotions. We train our employees on how to de-escalate any situation that may become heightened.

As a Campus Supervisor, you know that every employee is responsible for verifying their time is correct each week before payroll closes. This is stated in the Staff Handbook and we frequently communicate this via email, monthly Boosters, and postings on campus. Any errors that are the fault of Payroll are corrected immediately. Last month the Payroll department rolled out a Payroll Inquiry Form for all supervisors to use if they have an employee with a discrepancy. If you have experienced  more... any issues with your paycheck, please contact the HR department or speak with your supervisor. We would like the opportunity to correct any issues.

We do offer extended and short-term disability. These benefits are separate from light duty work accommodation requests which sometimes arise due to a workplace injury. For more education on workers’ compensation and available benefits, please review the Staff Handbook or contact Human Resources.

We frequently compare our compensation and benefit plans against similar organizations in the metro area. We do this through vetted third parties, personal interviews, and other sources. We continue to find that we are on par, or slightly better than some of our competitors. Additionally, as you know through our recent Open Enrollment process, this year we were excited to roll out enhanced benefits plans with some much lower cost options for our employees. Thank you!

There was not enough time in the day to do everything you needed for your client
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSMay 3, 2018
My supervision was spotty if at all. Kids in the office daily. I felt more like a babysitter than a case manager. Everyone around you is stressed. Lack of training
Pros
There are good people there but they don't last long
Cons
Supervision, Support, Management
July 12, 2018

We've recently made great progress in reducing the amount of children in the offices to allow case managers to focus on their primary work, and we've been increasing the amount of training available to employees.

Kvc
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 1, 2018
KVC is a place where I can not advance due to my education and due to being here since June 13, 2016 those that have been hired after me, start out making more then me.
High turnover and lack of training
line staff (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 29, 2018
KVC does not train staff adequately. This adds to the already highly stressful job. KVC is understaffed and has a high turnover rate. Staff who perform well are required to do more and more while those who perform poorly are no held accountable.
Pros
Helping children and families in times of crisis
Cons
long hours, high stress, poor training
July 12, 2018

We have been increasing staff greatly recently to reduce the amount of caseloads an individual has. We've also implemented new training strategies to ensure staff is confident in the field.

Stressful and Fast paced job with lot of trial by fire training
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSApril 28, 2018
I worked at KVC when they first took over the contract in Kansas. There was training but it was all distance learning and the equipment didn't normally work. The caseloads were outrageous and just increasing with each Case Manager that quit. They started me at the bare minimum which was 30,000 a year even though I was working 40 plus hours. Job performance outweighed all else when I worked there.
Pros
You learn stuff fast because you will get in trouble if you don't do it right.
Cons
Workload
July 12, 2018

Sorry about your experience. We've been increasing staff recently and have also allowed for individuals with related degrees to social work to work with children and families. This will greatly reduce caseloads.

Not for me
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 24, 2018
I learned a lot from working at KVC but I couldn't imagine staying for the long haul. I decided to leave due to mistreatment and I believe I had served my purpose.
work life
Accountin Manager/Interim Director (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 23, 2018
KVC has a great work life balance. I worked there for 8 years and enjoyed my time there. I would recommend KVC as a good place to make your career choice
July 12, 2018

Thank you! We appreciate all you did to help children and families.

Horrible place to work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 23, 2018
This is a horrible place to work it is very unorganized and it is no communication and everyone has a different idea about how the job should be done the job can be very dangerous and stressful and you get no support from the supervisors you're on your own and they will try to get you to work constantly but not take your stress and exhaustion levels into consideration when assigning you to clients they will give their friends the easy assignments and leave you to deal with a dangerous client for your 17 hour shift
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Almost everythig about this job
July 11, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We have been working hard to communicate with every employee as we know that is a need that has been shared recently. We have worked to train our supervisors to hold more in-person meetings to listen and share news, we have weekly meetings with training and have started an organization-wide employee newsletter. No employee should ever be on their own if they don’t feel safe with a client. Please talk to your supervisor or other leaders so that we can learn more about your experience and how to improve. Thank you!

Great Place to Work
IFP Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 22, 2018
I love KVC. There are wonderful people that work for the agency. They care about their clients. They go above and beyond. I love the flexibility. I get to use all sorts of therapy skills with a variety of clients.
Pros
flexiability, support
Cons
low salary
June 19, 2018

Thank you for your review! We love to hear that you enjoy your work at KVC Nebraska and share in truly caring about the children and teens we serve.

I have nothing nice to say
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 12, 2018
Don't work here. They don't care about you. I mean, PRN is fine or overnights but the place is run like a chicken with no head and no one knows what they are doing. The working conditions are frankly unsafe.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes, coffee
Cons
Terrible
July 11, 2018

Hi, thank you for your review. We deeply care about each and every one of our employees as well as our clients. We have been actively working on implementing more training and hiring leaders to ensure all of our direct care employees feel accurately supporting in their positions. Can you please reach out to your supervisor to express your ideas for improvement and experience? We would like to learn more about how we can improve. Thank you.

I am a foster parent with this company. What is rewarding is helping each child by showing love and teaching.
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Omaha NEApril 8, 2018
I like what I do. Foster children. The job may not seem rewarding, but in the long haul, it is worth it. Being there for children when they need someone to care is rewarding for me. Just helping to give a child a loving place to call home, rather temporary or long-term gives me satisfaction of knowing I helped a child in need.
May 7, 2018

Hi, thank you for writing a review! Like you, all of the foster parents at KVC Nebraska are so important for providing stability and love to children and teens in crisis. We appreciate your efforts in helping youth until they can safely return home. Thank you for your feedback and sharing what drives you to help the children in need.

Productive and informative
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 6, 2018
Learned a lot skills with dealing with and helping individuals who live with developmental disabilities. I also loved working with clients & families.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
lack of communication between managements and providers
May 7, 2018

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience with KVC Nebraska. We love to hear that you feel supported with knowledge for providing care to individuals with developmental and/or intellectual disabilities. We strive to provide many educational opportunities for all employees; caregivers and providers to continue to provide excellent care to those we serve. We are always working to improve our communication with providers, and have recently started new initiatives to communicate with licensed foster homes and Extended Family Homes, as well as continue to provide 24/7 support. We will continue to look for more opportunities to increase our communications with management and providers so that we can provide the best care possible. Thank you for your feedback and review!

Unprofessional and unorganized
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 6, 2018
So unprofessional! I’m pretty sure they’re in violation for so many things. If state was to do a random inspection they probably be shut down! Nobody dose their job and honestly half of the management staff are not qualified to manage anything!
July 11, 2018

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write a review. When we hire employees we make sure each individual meets the mandatory requirements and has experience in mental health and caring for children and teens. We hold extensive training on trauma-systems therapy and other safety training. Not only do we require but we are required by the Joint Commission and other regulatory agencies to employ qualified staff to ensure the safety of our clients but also our employees. Can you reach out to the HR department to share what things you think we can improve on? Thank you.

Such a great team to work for! Most fun office culture I've ever experienced!
Intensive In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 4, 2018
I work as an Intensive Family Pres. therapist which was really stressful. My direct supervisor was not very helpful; however, you can go to anyone at KVC including the VP to get questions answered. I felt like the overall office culture was very supportive and there were lots of really fun events that KVC put on to keep some positivity flowing.

Management listened to employees feedback and actually implemented things based off of it. There are now free snacks that are offered daily. SO NICE!

Most enjoyable part of the job was hanging out with staff and helping families. The most difficult part was working with families who did not seem to want to better their own life.
Pros
Free Snacks, Flexible Hours, Office Culture
Cons
Stressful, Paperwork
April 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience while working at KVC Nebraska. We are so happy that you feel KVC is a great place to work. We do realize the type of work we do can be stressful and we do try to help each employee with supportive leadership and offer training opportunities. We have begun initiatives to decrease paperwork and are continually training our supervisors on how to improve their skills. Thanks for your review!

Fast paced enviroment
Aftercare Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chanute, KSMarch 26, 2018
If you enjoy keeping on your toes and you're able to change plans at the drop of a hat then this job is for you! You are able to build your own schedule but that doesn't mean everything will always go as planned.