KVC Health Systems Employee Reviews

Poor management and staff safety
Behavioral Health Technician/ Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 28, 2018
There are too many managers making decisions and policy changes, so that they are not ever on the same page as each other. Policies which will not wok are forced onto staff - most recently, 12 hour shifts. Nothing is ever done in a timely manner. The facility is only kept decently clean. I also do not feel it is a safe place to work, as many staff have been injured by clients who are not given consequences or taught responsibility and accountability.
Pros
free meals, good benefits
Cons
unsafe, poor management, bad policies
November 12, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Although, as a current employee, I would highly recommend bringing your concerns to hospital leadership or HR so they can clarify any policy ambiguity that concerns you. Hospital units are, indeed, moving to 12-hour shifts for a variety of reasons, such as offering better care to clients by operating under a medical model that is common in other hospitals, providing employees more time to practice self-care and avoid fatigue by working four 12 hour shifts rather and five 8+ hours shifts. This model also provides more stability for clients due to less staff changes throughout the day. These changes are not being forced onto anyone, as all employees were informed well in advance of the coming changes and allowed to request transfer, if they so choose, to residential units where 8-hour shifts remain in practice. Cleanliness in the hospital is a priority and our housekeeping team works diligently to maintain high standards, with visual inspections performed regularly and results reviewed by the Safety Management Committee.

Could be better/Could be worse
Permanency Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSJuly 31, 2018
Job and work life balance is difficult. Would be beneficial to have job advancements and opportunity to be reimbursed for schooling. It would be more of an appeal for the type of work if job reimbursement/pay dependent on skills and amount of schooling completed.
Benefits
Cons
Workload
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely share your ideas with Human Resources as another way to enhance our already sizeable benefits package. In the meantime, you may be interested in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). You can find more information about it at https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.com/student-loan-relief-programs/non-profit-student-loan-forgiveness/

Low pay
Community Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KS 66762October 17, 2018
Pay is less than average for job duties
Work until done. No life work balance
There are a lot of workers that need to understand communication is priority.
Some of the management need gone. One in particular throws people under bus by misquoting and doesn’t do her own job
Cons
No advancement opportunities
October 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your impressions of KVC, and we wish you well in your next endeavor. KVC’s compensation is actually on par with other similar nonprofits. It’s true though that funding and compensation are limited in the child welfare field. That’s why KVC is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to augment our employees’ compensation. I am sorry that you, personally, experienced a lack of work/life balance in your time with KVC. As an organization, we do stress the importance of self-care with our employees and encourage the practice of setting boundaries with our time. This allows our staff to care for their own families, as well as the families and children we serve. Management is an important part of conveying that message to their teams. KVC recognizes that some people are natural managers, while others need opportunities to build those skills. I’m happy to report that HR is rolling out a new management training program for all KVC employees in management positions. Soon all staff will benefit from their increased skills and ability to lead and nurture the valuable employees who are doing such important work with children and families.

Refreshing campus compared to other facilities.
Student Care Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 15, 2018
I love working at KVC (Prairie Ridge) all around. I will just highlight a few of my favorite things. Prairie Ridge has a safe and flexible atmosphere for the direct care staff members. The campus consists of hospital and residential units where staff are listened to when expressing when and where they feel comfortable. Most staff are comfortable with being assigned to one unit in a consistent manner. So, if you request a specific unit, management will do their best to assign you to the unit that suits you. But, if you want to work with all the freakin' kids, they will let you float from day-to-day if they can!
They understand that burnout for direct care staff is significantly high in this job. Preventing burnout helps employees continue to love working with the kids, while providing better treatment for the children.
Pros
pto like candy
Cons
no lunch breaks
November 19, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your experience of working at our KVC Prairie Ridge hospital. It is challenging, as a health care organization, to balance the needs of the children we serve with the needs of each member of our valuable direct care team, in order to prevent burnout. But KVC strives, in all instances, to find that healthy balance. We are grateful for your service to the kiddos and your support of the staff and the difficult, but rewarding work they all do.

Such a great team to work for! Most fun office culture I've ever experienced!
Intensive In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 4, 2018
I work as an Intensive Family Pres. therapist which was really stressful. My direct supervisor was not very helpful; however, you can go to anyone at KVC including the VP to get questions answered. I felt like the overall office culture was very supportive and there were lots of really fun events that KVC put on to keep some positivity flowing.

Management listened to employees feedback and actually implemented things based off of it. There are now free snacks that are offered daily. SO NICE!

Most enjoyable part of the job was hanging out with staff and helping families. The most difficult part was working with families who did not seem to want to better their own life.
Pros
Free Snacks, Flexible Hours, Office Culture
Cons
Stressful, Paperwork
April 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience while working at KVC Nebraska. We are so happy that you feel KVC is a great place to work. We do realize the type of work we do can be stressful and we do try to help each employee with supportive leadership and offer training opportunities. We have begun initiatives to decrease paperwork and are continually training our supervisors on how to improve their skills. Thanks for your review!

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Parsons, KSSeptember 19, 2018
I believe the translation from the latin covers it better than I could. "The thing speaks for itself."

95% of the people at the agency were easy to get along with, hard working folk. About 5% were the reason that the attrition rate hovered at 44% during my tenure. I was the last of 4 therapists for 2 counties in extreme southeast Kansas. My position, after 2 years, has not been filled.
Pros
Helping high needs children in need of care.
Cons
A middle management person.
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here. KVC is, in fact, filled with many wonderful, mission-driven folk who get up every morning wanting to help people. In child welfare there are many reasons for the high rate of attrition, which is common in this field in every state across the country. It would appear that you did work in one of the more challenging areas of the state, due in large part to the considerable distances required to travel in reaching clients in that territory. KVC regularly adapts staffing needs based on a number of factors such as demand for services, available talent and the need to make the best use of limited funding resources for our work. In short there are any number of reasons your former position may not have been filled. We thank you for the time and commitment you shared working with the children and families of southeast Kansas and wish you well in your current endeavors.

High work loads with minimal management support
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at KVC if you worked alone as a case manager included tracking each child on your case load and scheduling a Worker/Child visit, schedule parent/child interaction visits. Write court reports to the Court at least 3 weeks prior to your assigned court date. You would have to transport children who are on one night placements from their placement back to the office and be with them while you are working due to them being your child on your case load. You would have to perform drug testing to parents who came in on the day of their color. Once you scheduled visitations with children and parents you would have to supervise or monitor the visit and record what happened. When worker child visits were scheduled you would have to commute to the placement's residence and visit the child in the home. You were also expected to log each interaction of all of these. You would also be on an on call rotation with the permanency team and could potentially sleep in the office with a child(s) if no placements were found.
Pros
Closed from 12-1pm for lunch
Cons
had to choose between work life and family life
July 15, 2018

Thank you for giving a description of what your job as a case coordinator entailed. We are sorry to hear that your overall experience was that the workload was high. We just made a significant change that is already reducing caseloads, giving staff more quality time with children and families and better work/life balance. That change was to secure a state contract amendment to allow people with related college degrees to do case coordination work. We have reduced job vacancies for licensed positions by 75% in just one month through this change, which has a positive effect on the entire team. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best.

Stressful
Adoption Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 31, 2018
You are underpaid, not appreciated and over worked. You are required to attend trainings that have nothing to do with your position and the management is all about themselves. The management says one thing and does another and you are not paid for your worth.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
Underpaid, not appriciated
November 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your perspective. As a current employee, I encourage you to bring your concerns about pay, training, appreciation and management to your supervisor or to HR at HR@kvc.org, as that is the only way to affect change for the better. KVC’s compensation is comparable to other child welfare organizations in the state and enhanced by a robust benefits package. Leaders deeply appreciate employees at all levels and trainings are provided as an often-requested professional development benefit. Please reach out to your supervisor or to HR with your concerns so we can learn from your perspective and better support you.

Meets my expectations
QA (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 11, 2018
I am a new hire at the Topeka location. A current employee spoke HIGHLY of this company so I was more than excited to apply. I only have an Associate's degree in this field. No other agency would hire me because I didn't meet the education requirements. The pay is good for the work that I do. It has not been stressful so far. But I am well aware that it's coming. I am prepared. It comes with the territory. Sink or swim, right? I am attending classes to obtain my BSW and so on. I plan to retire as a Social Worker with this company. Everyone I work with is helpful and knowledgeable. The company itself is employee AND client oriented. People Matter.
Pros
Highly rewarding. Excited to come to work here.
Cons
No tuition reimbursement.
September 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your initial impressions of KVC. We are delighted to have you aboard the team. Be sure to utilize the support and guidance of your supervisors as you get more and more familiar with your new job. That’s what they’re there for and they will do their best to ensure you swim, not sink.

While KVC does offer a very generous benefits package to our employees, tuition reimbursement is not within our budget at this time. However, you may be interested in checking out the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). You can find more information about it at https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.com/student-loan-relief-programs/non-profit-student-loan-forgiveness/

ok
Permanency Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJune 1, 2018
If you live within 30 miles it'd be ok job. Benefits are good including retirement. Coworkers are great. Management pushes for self care. Just isn't the job for me.
August 18, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on KVC. There are so many wonderful benefits to working here, not the least of which is being part of such a valuable mission of “enriching and enhancing the lives of children and families by providing medical and behavioral healthcare, social services and education.” We realize the challenges inherent in the work are considerable and that’s why KVC strives to offer such good benefits for employees. I encourage you to consult with your supervisor to strategize possible ways to reduce the strain of the travel aspect of the job and how you might fit time for self-care into your busy schedule. The work you do is so valuable and needed and greatly appreciated.

Too many bosses and not enough Indians
Foster parent (Former Employee) –  OlatheNovember 7, 2018
This is a dreadfully awful people. They do not help their foster parents they don't stand up for them. You're trained to look at a foster parent and think ofhow you're going to turn your back on them when they need your help the most. And how you have to abused them before that happens. I feel bad for the children and for the foster parents. Just a money-making scheme. It's all apart of child trafficking and foster parent abuse
Pros
Good paint place to gather
Cons
Hostile environment, you must have hatred in your heart, you have to be narcissistic your conscience has to be asleep, they teach you how to throw for foster parents under the bus
November 12, 2018

We’re sorry to hear about the experience you had. Providing excellent support to foster parents is critical to our mission of helping children and families. We would like the opportunity to learn more about your situation so we can make targeted improvements. Please call (913) 499-8100 and ask to speak to the Child Placing Agency (CPA) Director for your county.

Lack of Support by Management
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 28, 2018
The negative and concerned reviews that indeed actually allows to be posted on this site are nothing compared to the actual truth behind the cons of the management and overall KVC company as a work environment.
November 12, 2018

Neither Indeed nor employers like KVC delete or otherwise censor reviews. You can see we have a mix of positive, neutral and negative reviews, and we actively look for ways to make improvements based on each review. KVC is an ethical, values-driven nonprofit organization. We’re sorry that you felt a lack of support and left the organization. We highly encourage current employees to reach out to their supervisor or to HR to help address any specific questions or needs.

Management is unethical and not supportive
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KS 66763March 23, 2018
Management is unable to provide support to workers. They typically will change positions and not work in best interest of family
Long hours and poorly trained staff with high turnover leave seasoned workers often taking on more than necessary.
Pros
Flexibility with scheduling and work hours
Cons
Work is never done
July 12, 2018

Sorry for your experience. We always work in the best interest of the family, though sometimes employees have different ideas on what's best. Wish you the best in your future endeavors!

If you’re friends with people then you get advancement
BHT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 12, 2018
If this helps you decide to work there -I just recieved two paychecks dated back 2 years ago that I had gotten underpaid & they weren’t concerned to pay all the staff until this happened to get audited by the state of KS. Never have I had this happen to me at ANY job I’ve worked at. The managers act like children and only speak to you if you’re liked. And don’t make the mistake of standing up for yourself -it’s considered being non compliant. The stressors of the job takes away from what you were hired for & that is so sad.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Horrible place to work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 23, 2018
This is a horrible place to work it is very unorganized and it is no communication and everyone has a different idea about how the job should be done the job can be very dangerous and stressful and you get no support from the supervisors you're on your own and they will try to get you to work constantly but not take your stress and exhaustion levels into consideration when assigning you to clients they will give their friends the easy assignments and leave you to deal with a dangerous client for your 17 hour shift
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Almost everythig about this job
July 11, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We have been working hard to communicate with every employee as we know that is a need that has been shared recently. We have worked to train our supervisors to hold more in-person meetings to listen and share news, we have weekly meetings with training and have started an organization-wide employee newsletter. No employee should ever be on their own if they don’t feel safe with a client. Please talk to your supervisor or other leaders so that we can learn more about your experience and how to improve. Thank you!

Very family based and focused
Transporter/Driver (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 3, 2018
I enjoy working for this company and the opportunity it provides towards experience and developing careers. It has allowed me to grow in education and identify what I want to do in this career
Pros
Group involvement
Cons
High turnover
August 18, 2018

Thank you for your thoughts. We truly appreciate your commitment to KVC and the children we serve. We look forward to working with you in helping you grow and develop in your career.

Great intentions with lack of follow through
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 28, 2018
KVC Hospitals and its affiliates have great intentions. However there is a lack of follow through on these good intentions. I have witnessed clients being punched in the head and face repeatedly, punched in the stomach, bitten, ice water thrown on them, secluded into a locked room with no supervision and more by supervisors and behavioral health technicians. These incidents either go unreported and when they are reported they do not get any follow through or hotlines to the state. In fact behavioral health technicians are told they are not allowed to hotline anything that goes on in the facility. I have witnessed staff being sexually harassed by management and nothing is done even after reporting it.
On top of all of this, clients are not given the bare necesseties they need. They are not given clothing that fits in any way most days, they are given sheets and socks to wash their body.
So many other things go on in this company and when you report it you get a target put on your back and will be systematically fired.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Abuse and Neglect of children. Management. Follow through.
April 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. For both our employees as well as our clients, providing a safe environment is our top priority. Violence is not tolerated and our staff is trained in ways to de-escalate any violent behaviors and teach the clients how to regulate their emotions. A part of providing a safe environment for employees is to provide them ways to speak to their leaders as well as the HR department. We’re sorry you did not feel that you were able to speak to them about your experience, but we are committed to providing safe avenues for employees to speak openly about improving our organization. Thank you for your review and best wishes in your future!

work life
Accountin Manager/Interim Director (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 23, 2018
KVC has a great work life balance. I worked there for 8 years and enjoyed my time there. I would recommend KVC as a good place to make your career choice
July 12, 2018

Thank you! We appreciate all you did to help children and families.

Stressful, Violent, Under Staffed, Frequent Pay Mistakes
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 5, 2018
The organization as a whole is unorganized They recently “lost” over 70 of their foster kids.

The hospital units house acute psychiatric kids who are there for 3-5 days along with kids who are violent with severe behavioral issues who have been there for up to 2 years. Anyone working in this field knows the standard of care will be much lower. They accept a state grant which forces them to keep violent clients. Your child who need his meds adjusted might be roommates with a kid there who beat his mother and is housed there only because the jails are overcrowded.

Every week I see workers comp paperwork due to employees being injured by clients. The hospital doesn’t offer short or long term disability or light duty benefits either.

My pay has been wrong and many of my staff regularly have missing hours as well.

The pay is right in the middle of the scale for this kind of work. You can get plenty of overtime. If you’re a strong staff member you will be placed with the most difficult clients daily unless you stand up for yourself.

If you’re thinking about working here make sure you’ve checked out all your options.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Violent Clients
July 11, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. When you refer to KVC Kansas “losing 70 children in foster care”, that is not true. 79 youth in foster care are “missing.” Of those, 65 kids ran away from placement, 1 parent abduction, 5 kids taken by families before the department could pick up the kids. 8 kids are suspected runaway, but not confirmed. Our incredible staff immediately inform law enforcement and DCF when a young person is thought to have run away or otherwise gone missing, and then follow a detailed protocol to help bring them safely home. We treat every child with great care and urgency. While this is a serious issue, please note that it is comparable to the number of missing/runaway youth in each state’s child welfare system.

Within KVC Hospitals, the children and teens we care for may have experienced trauma or have a mental illness and haven’t learned how to express themselves in a healthy way. That is why we are there – to help them learn how to express their feelings with words and understand their emotions. We train our employees on how to de-escalate any situation that may become heightened.

As a Campus Supervisor, you know that every employee is responsible for verifying their time is correct each week before payroll closes. This is stated in the Staff Handbook and we frequently communicate this via email, monthly Boosters, and postings on campus. Any errors that are the fault of Payroll are corrected immediately. Last month the Payroll department rolled out a Payroll Inquiry Form for all supervisors to use if they have an employee with a discrepancy. If you have experienced  more... any issues with your paycheck, please contact the HR department or speak with your supervisor. We would like the opportunity to correct any issues.

We do offer extended and short-term disability. These benefits are separate from light duty work accommodation requests which sometimes arise due to a workplace injury. For more education on workers’ compensation and available benefits, please review the Staff Handbook or contact Human Resources.

We frequently compare our compensation and benefit plans against similar organizations in the metro area. We do this through vetted third parties, personal interviews, and other sources. We continue to find that we are on par, or slightly better than some of our competitors. Additionally, as you know through our recent Open Enrollment process, this year we were excited to roll out enhanced benefits plans with some much lower cost options for our employees. Thank you!

High turnover and lack of training
line staff (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 29, 2018
KVC does not train staff adequately. This adds to the already highly stressful job. KVC is understaffed and has a high turnover rate. Staff who perform well are required to do more and more while those who perform poorly are no held accountable.
Pros
Helping children and families in times of crisis
Cons
long hours, high stress, poor training
July 12, 2018

We have been increasing staff greatly recently to reduce the amount of caseloads an individual has. We've also implemented new training strategies to ensure staff is confident in the field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KVC Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.