KVC Health Systems Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
There was not enough time in the day to do everything you needed for your client
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSMay 3, 2018
My supervision was spotty if at all. Kids in the office daily. I felt more like a babysitter than a case manager. Everyone around you is stressed. Lack of training
Pros
There are good people there but they don't last long
Cons
Supervision, Support, Management
High turnover and lack of training
line staff (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 29, 2018
KVC does not train staff adequately. This adds to the already highly stressful job. KVC is understaffed and has a high turnover rate. Staff who perform well are required to do more and more while those who perform poorly are no held accountable.
Pros
Helping children and families in times of crisis
Cons
long hours, high stress, poor training
I am a foster parent with this company. What is rewarding is helping each child by showing love and teaching.
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Omaha NEApril 8, 2018
I like what I do. Foster children. The job may not seem rewarding, but in the long haul, it is worth it. Being there for children when they need someone to care is rewarding for me. Just helping to give a child a loving place to call home, rather temporary or long-term gives me satisfaction of knowing I helped a child in need.
May 7, 2018

Hi, thank you for writing a review! Like you, all of the foster parents at KVC Nebraska are so important for providing stability and love to children and teens in crisis. We appreciate your efforts in helping youth until they can safely return home. Thank you for your feedback and sharing what drives you to help the children in need.

Productive and informative
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 6, 2018
Learned a lot skills with dealing with and helping individuals who live with developmental disabilities. I also loved working with clients & families.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
lack of communication between managements and providers
May 7, 2018

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience with KVC Nebraska. We love to hear that you feel supported with knowledge for providing care to individuals with developmental and/or intellectual disabilities. We strive to provide many educational opportunities for all employees; caregivers and providers to continue to provide excellent care to those we serve. We are always working to improve our communication with providers, and have recently started new initiatives to communicate with licensed foster homes and Extended Family Homes, as well as continue to provide 24/7 support. We will continue to look for more opportunities to increase our communications with management and providers so that we can provide the best care possible. Thank you for your feedback and review!

Such a great team to work for! Most fun office culture I've ever experienced!
Intensive In-Home Therapist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 4, 2018
I work as an Intensive Family Pres. therapist which was really stressful. My direct supervisor was not very helpful; however, you can go to anyone at KVC including the VP to get questions answered. I felt like the overall office culture was very supportive and there were lots of really fun events that KVC put on to keep some positivity flowing.

Management listened to employees feedback and actually implemented things based off of it. There are now free snacks that are offered daily. SO NICE!

Most enjoyable part of the job was hanging out with staff and helping families. The most difficult part was working with families who did not seem to want to better their own life.
Pros
Free Snacks, Flexible Hours, Office Culture
Cons
Stressful, Paperwork
April 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience while working at KVC Nebraska. We are so happy that you feel KVC is a great place to work. We do realize the type of work we do can be stressful and we do try to help each employee with supportive leadership and offer training opportunities. We have begun initiatives to decrease paperwork and are continually training our supervisors on how to improve their skills. Thanks for your review!

Management is unethical and not supportive
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KS 66763March 23, 2018
Management is unable to provide support to workers. They typically will change positions and not work in best interest of family
Long hours and poorly trained staff with high turnover leave seasoned workers often taking on more than necessary.
Pros
Flexibility with scheduling and work hours
Cons
Work is never done
Had a bad experience with a supervisor but the company is wonderful to work for.
Permanency Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Ripley, WVMarch 15, 2018
KVC really cares about their employees and the clients they work with. They are very sincere about improving the lives of foster children. This company really meant a lot to me and treated me like family.
Pros
Family and team oriented
Cons
Sometimes one bad supervisor can cause a negative affect on the team
Great company to work for and great team working environment
Family Support Worker and receptionist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 8, 2018
A typical day consisted of updating and organizing case worker's files, sitting in on case plans, supervising visits and managing government documents.
Crazy busy job with lots of learning opportunity and advancement
Therapeutic Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 5, 2018
There was a huge learning curve to starting this job and the training they provide doesn't even scratch the surface to all the daily tasks and responsibilities and everything you need to know to do the job. It was very busy and very stressful; there is a lot to do and some clients are very difficult to work with. Many times I worked at least 10 hour days, sometimes 12-14 hour days. There was a lot of learning on the job and from asking my supervisor and coworkers questions every day for months. I did like that there was so much to learn in that now I have alot of knowledge about the child welfare system, the client population, foster care, etc. that I can put to use in other jobs going forward. This job includes: writing case plans; writing court reports; meeting with each child in your caseload in their foster home; meeting with the bio parents at least once a month to go over court order progress; attending court hearings; attending various staffings and trainings; and facilitating weekly parent/child visits. I have loved both of the supervisors I have had and they are a major reason to why I stuck with the job through the really difficult times and stayed on for so long. I also loved my coworkers and we all helped each other out when we could and supported each other as much as we could since we all shared the same difficult job. Some of the foster kids on our case loads were great kids and it was enjoyable working with them and getting to know them, as well as trying to help and support them while they were in foster care. I know several people who were able to move up into  more... being trainers, supervisors, etc. so there is room to grow and advance.  less
Pros
Supportive supervisors and coworkers, great learning opportunity and hands-on job experience, good experience working with kids and bio parents
Cons
Poor work-life balance, very stressful, high caseloads, too much to do; some really difficult clients
Productive and fun workplace.
Family Preservation (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 28, 2018
Enjoyed my time at KVC but decided to have a change of pace. The work environment is great but often fast-paced. Very supportive coworkers and always encouraging.
Ever Changing
Sr. Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 20, 2018
The organization is a good place for people to gain experience.
A typical day is never typical. If you are not well organized with your work you will get overwhelmed quickly.
What the organization stands for and does is outstanding.
Pros
Learning
Cons
workload
Empathy Fatigue
FAMILY SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSFebruary 7, 2018
I loved the work, but 2 years, there is some burnout. The job was stressful but rewarding, there is just only so much abuse you can take from lawyers, clients, and the kids.
Highly stressful, low paid
Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSFebruary 4, 2018
Required overtime without paying overtime. Short staffed and under-trained. Little support for front line social workers. Low pay. Flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible hours, breaks, excellent benefits
Cons
Poor management, no support, heavy work load, low pay
Stressful, poor management
KIPP Therapist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 2, 2018
My interim supervisor was deliberately unkind, and there was a great deal of office politics that were not only part of the job culture, but encouraged.
Poorly managed
QA/Family Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJanuary 28, 2018
KVC is very poorly managed, hostile work environment, no support for staff, Kvc is a very trying place to work, WORKING WITH CHILDREN ARE AMAZING. THE MANAGEMENT IS HOSTILE AND NON SUPPORTIVE
Pros
helping famlies
Cons
management
Great intentions with lack of follow through
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 28, 2018
KVC Hospitals and its affiliates have great intentions. However there is a lack of follow through on these good intentions. I have witnessed clients being punched in the head and face repeatedly, punched in the stomach, bitten, ice water thrown on them, secluded into a locked room with no supervision and more by supervisors and behavioral health technicians. These incidents either go unreported and when they are reported they do not get any follow through or hotlines to the state. In fact behavioral health technicians are told they are not allowed to hotline anything that goes on in the facility. I have witnessed staff being sexually harassed by management and nothing is done even after reporting it.
On top of all of this, clients are not given the bare necesseties they need. They are not given clothing that fits in any way most days, they are given sheets and socks to wash their body.
So many other things go on in this company and when you report it you get a target put on your back and will be systematically fired.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Abuse and Neglect of children. Management. Follow through.
April 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. For both our employees as well as our clients, providing a safe environment is our top priority. Violence is not tolerated and our staff is trained in ways to de-escalate any violent behaviors and teach the clients how to regulate their emotions. A part of providing a safe environment for employees is to provide them ways to speak to their leaders as well as the HR department. We’re sorry you did not feel that you were able to speak to them about your experience, but we are committed to providing safe avenues for employees to speak openly about improving our organization. Thank you for your review and best wishes in your future!

Flexible Scheduling
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Parsons, KSJanuary 16, 2018
There are pros and cons to working at KVC Behavioral Healthcare. You are able to make your own schedule as a Family Support Worker, which is great for someone going to school or that works two jobs. But it is also impossible to schedule anything after work because if a referral comes in then you have to drop your plans and handle the situation. High caseloads also make things difficult. Trying to see all of your families and stay within 40 hours is a challenge and keep up on all the paperwork.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
high caseloads and stressful environment
KVC Health Systems
Web Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 11, 2018
I enjoyed working here as a Application Developer, nice coworkers, great place to challenge your skills.

KVC is always helpful in training me and helping me to be a great developer.
Fast paced and stressful.
Foster Family Worker (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 2, 2018
Very rewarding to work with foster families and children. There was just so much drama withing the company and not enough employees to help keep the case loads down.
High Stress and no self-care
Permanency Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KS 66101December 27, 2017
Work is always chaotic with little support from supervisors. Workers are always behind in the real work due to crisis responses. Clients do not see workers as human beings with lives. Low pay for the amount of responsibility and work load.
Pros
Cons
case loads are to high