KVC Health Systems Employee Reviews

Stressful and overwhelming
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 25, 2019
I worked for KVC for five months and quit due to high case loads and unreasonable expectations of outcomes. My peers were excellent to work with and always encouraged each other, especially on challenging days. Management was generally supportive but with high case loads expectations for deadlines were often unmet and unreasonable due to time constraints.
Pros
Support of colleagues
Cons
High case loads, unreasonable expectations of outcomes.
January 31, 2019

We’re glad to hear you felt such good support from colleagues at KVC. Unfortunately, the state foster care system is experiencing a crisis with 45% more children in care. This is the root issue behind the high case loads you experienced. We shared about causes and solutions for this statewide crisis at www.kvc.org/strengthenkansas and www.kvckansas.org/childwelfareinfographic. We are working hard to strengthen employee support and retention. We have also collaborated with our state partner to strengthen the workforce in significant ways in the last two years. We advocated for and secured agreement to allow professionals with equivalent college degrees to fill certain positions to reduce vacancies and turnover, and also secured pay increases for a number of our team members. We continue to collaborate with our new state partner to increase funding for child welfare support so that we can meet the growing need in our communities, thus reducing caseloads and enabling us to pay our valuable employees more for the important work they do to keep children safe. Thank you for the five months you dedicated to helping with that mission. We wish you well in the future.

Where to begin...
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 18, 2019
Looking back after working at KVC for roughly a year... the only benefits I walked away with were the relationships and memories I built with my clients and children, as well as the self-awareness of how one should not be treated at a workplace. After working at KVC, you will greatly appreciate your employers to come as you will realize how inhuman KVC treats their staff. Yes, the job gives you experience in social work. No, you will not walk away feeling appreciated.
Pros
Helping children and families in need
Cons
Poor supervision, underpaid and under staffed, high turnover, lack of communication amongst staff
January 30, 2019

We are sorry to hear of the negative experience you had. Despite the fact that the state foster care system is experiencing a crisis with 45% more children in care, we still aim to make KVC a great place to work. We shared about causes and solutions for this statewide crisis at www.kvc.org/strengthenkansas and www.kvckansas.org/childwelfareinfographic. We are working hard to strengthen employee support and retention. We have also collaborated with our state partner to strengthen the workforce in significant ways in the last two years. We advocated for and secured agreement to allow professionals with equivalent college degrees to fill certain positions to reduce vacancies and turnover, and also secured pay increases for a number of our team members. We continue to collaborate with our state partner to increase funding for child welfare support so that we can meet the growing need in our communities, as well as pay our valuable employees more for the important work they do to keep children safe. Thank you for the work you did at KVC and we wish you well in the future.

Monthly visits of clients, documenting and filing, self care time
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSJanuary 9, 2019
Overall working at KVC is rewarding in the fact that we help reintegrate children back into the home. It can be a stressful job at times when caseloads get high due to low staff, however seeing the look on a child's face when they are able to go back home , is worth the stress. There are times that staffing changes and you can get moved around, which does get exhausting in itself. However if you can adapt well to that, then you will do fine. Having case managers that know their stuff really helps too. Most all the case managers I worked under knew what they were doing as well as supervisors and the director. I did have a case manager that was knew to this field and struggled quite a bit, so I had to pick up the slack and do more the case manager role and the case manager was doing more the family support worker role. But only because I am not a license social worker, I could not have the case manager title.
I believe people come into this job thinking it will be little work with low stress. However, it is a fast pace job that involves dealing with irate parents that have had their children removed. The parents take a long time to realize that we are here to help them do what they need to do to get their children back and that we are not the ones that took their children. As long as you can handle the behaviors of the parents and some children, document document document, then you will be a good fit for this job. KVC is not a bad place to work, I only would or want to leave, to advance myself in my degree.
Pros
Work and home life balance. They are all about self care time and if you need a mental health day.
Cons
Being moved around to different case managers due to short staff
January 29, 2019

Thank you for sharing your insights as a Family Support Worker at KVC. You are certainly correct in suggesting that flexibility and adaptability are crucial for success in this field. Patience comes in handy as well, as you pointed out, when helping parents and children experiencing emotional situations. We thank you for the important role you play in helping families safely reunite after foster care.

Good job
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KS 66762January 5, 2019
Very busy, fast paced work envirnoment. Great work team in transportation. Sometimes stressful, but worth it for what you do. A very rewarding job experience.
January 29, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the vitally important Transportation department of KVC. The children we serve have many places they have to be; court dates, doctor visits, therapy sessions, visitations, etc. Your busy team makes all that possible. Thank you for “going the extra mile” to help kids get the care and services they need to be stronger and more resilient.

Learning exprience
Foster Family Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, KSJanuary 1, 2019
Each office has a different work culture. The hardest thing is leaving the families that you work with. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children.
January 29, 2019

Thank you for sharing your observations of working at KVC. You’re right that each office has a slightly different personality, yet our values tie us together as one KVC family working to support each other. We are grateful for your dedication to the families KVC serves. Thank you.

If you’re friends with people then you get advancement
BHT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 12, 2018
If this helps you decide to work there -I just recieved two paychecks dated back 2 years ago that I had gotten underpaid & they weren’t concerned to pay all the staff until this happened to get audited by the state of KS. Never have I had this happen to me at ANY job I’ve worked at. The managers act like children and only speak to you if you’re liked. And don’t make the mistake of standing up for yourself -it’s considered being non compliant. The stressors of the job takes away from what you were hired for & that is so sad.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
Everything else
December 21, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. I’m sorry to hear about your experience with management. When these situations arise, we ask that our employees report it to Human Resources which allows us an opportunity to investigate and resolve the situation. Having a good work environment is very important to us and we want to ensure all of our employees feel valued for the good work that they do.

At KVC, we make it a priority to ensure our employees are paid properly. In order to ensure everyone’s pay is accurate, we do ask that our employees time in/out properly and report any pay discrepancies to their supervisor and HR / Payroll immediately. They will get the details, research and if an employee is owed money, HR will ensure proper payment is made to the employee based on our payroll payment guidelines.

Cons
Permanency Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 1, 2018
Y’all are killing me with the whole low salary thing. In social work, that salary is not going to happen anywhere else. Plus you get medical insurance! As for the job, it was the most stressful job I’ve ever had and the caseload was ridiculous. Management could care less if I came in at 10 instead of 9 and the trainings were full of fluff and a waste of time. Half the people there had no clue what they were doing and no one seemed to care because those people were holding cases they didn’t have to. So many parents weren’t reintegrated with due to their drug use instead of looking at ways they can keep the child safe if they were to use (ei. Send them to grandmas or a friends, etc). All the foster parents complained about every little thing and they were in it for the money. KVC tried to buy people into staying because of their high salary. Try coming over into Missouri with almost half the salary. The involvement with DCF was also ridiculous, they MADE us do things we didn’t agree with because they had the power and we could lose our job. If we disagreed with them, tough, we had to pretend to be cohesive even though they couldn’t give two poops about the kids once they were in KVC’s care. They just cared about having the last say in things they weren’t informed about.
Pros
Salary
Cons
High caseload, manipulation
December 21, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review as we value your perspective and want to improve. You’ve brought up many topics from compensation and culture, to our values and services, to our state government partner. We appreciate you pointing out that KVC pays its employees competitively, both in terms of salary and benefits. The ability to start work later in the morning is part of our flexible scheduling policy and provides balance to the fact that work often needs to be done in the evenings when families are available. Most employees rate this as one of their favorite aspects of working at KVC. We are sorry to hear you experienced the job as being stressful. We are happy to report that caseloads have been reduced dramatically in the past year due to a contract amendment KVC worked out with the state which allows people with degrees related to social work to be case managers. And we continue to strive for ways to reduce the stress of high caseloads. As we are always looking for ways to improve the employee experience, we would love to hear your thoughts on which trainings, specifically, you feel were just fluff, if you would like to reach out to us offline at 913-322-4900. Please note that DCF is not a part of KVC, but rather a branch of the state government.

Rewarding
KVC CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 16, 2018
Permanency case manager is faced paced, working with parents, children, and professionals. Overall good place to work, administration is going through changes to work better with court professionals.
November 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here on working at KVC. We’re glad you found it a good place to work overall. It certainly is fast-paced work at times, and vital for the safety of children in our state. Thank you for your part in all that. As an organization dedicated to innovation in the child welfare system, we do constantly strive to identify areas that can be improved, and partner with all parties involved to streamline processes wherever possible.

Refreshing campus compared to other facilities.
Student Care Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 15, 2018
I love working at KVC (Prairie Ridge) all around. I will just highlight a few of my favorite things. Prairie Ridge has a safe and flexible atmosphere for the direct care staff members. The campus consists of hospital and residential units where staff are listened to when expressing when and where they feel comfortable. Most staff are comfortable with being assigned to one unit in a consistent manner. So, if you request a specific unit, management will do their best to assign you to the unit that suits you. But, if you want to work with all the freakin' kids, they will let you float from day-to-day if they can!
They understand that burnout for direct care staff is significantly high in this job. Preventing burnout helps employees continue to love working with the kids, while providing better treatment for the children.
Pros
pto like candy
Cons
no lunch breaks
November 19, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your experience of working at our KVC Prairie Ridge hospital. It is challenging, as a health care organization, to balance the needs of the children we serve with the needs of each member of our valuable direct care team, in order to prevent burnout. But KVC strives, in all instances, to find that healthy balance. We are grateful for your service to the kiddos and your support of the staff and the difficult, but rewarding work they all do.

Too many bosses and not enough Indians
Foster parent (Former Employee) –  OlatheNovember 7, 2018
This is a dreadfully awful people. They do not help their foster parents they don't stand up for them. You're trained to look at a foster parent and think ofhow you're going to turn your back on them when they need your help the most. And how you have to abused them before that happens. I feel bad for the children and for the foster parents. Just a money-making scheme. It's all apart of child trafficking and foster parent abuse
Pros
Good paint place to gather
Cons
Hostile environment, you must have hatred in your heart, you have to be narcissistic your conscience has to be asleep, they teach you how to throw for foster parents under the bus
November 12, 2018

We’re sorry to hear about the experience you had. Providing excellent support to foster parents is critical to our mission of helping children and families. We would like the opportunity to learn more about your situation so we can make targeted improvements. Please call (913) 499-8100 and ask to speak to the Child Placing Agency (CPA) Director for your county.

Stressful
Adoption Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 31, 2018
You are underpaid, not appreciated and over worked. You are required to attend trainings that have nothing to do with your position and the management is all about themselves. The management says one thing and does another and you are not paid for your worth.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
Underpaid, not appriciated
November 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your perspective. As a current employee, I encourage you to bring your concerns about pay, training, appreciation and management to your supervisor or to HR at HR@kvc.org, as that is the only way to affect change for the better. KVC’s compensation is comparable to other child welfare organizations in the state and enhanced by a robust benefits package. Leaders deeply appreciate employees at all levels and trainings are provided as an often-requested professional development benefit. Please reach out to your supervisor or to HR with your concerns so we can learn from your perspective and better support you.

Lack of Support by Management
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 28, 2018
The negative and concerned reviews that indeed actually allows to be posted on this site are nothing compared to the actual truth behind the cons of the management and overall KVC company as a work environment.
November 12, 2018

Neither Indeed nor employers like KVC delete or otherwise censor reviews. You can see we have a mix of positive, neutral and negative reviews, and we actively look for ways to make improvements based on each review. KVC is an ethical, values-driven nonprofit organization. We’re sorry that you felt a lack of support and left the organization. We highly encourage current employees to reach out to their supervisor or to HR to help address any specific questions or needs.

Poor management and staff safety
Behavioral Health Technician/ Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 28, 2018
There are too many managers making decisions and policy changes, so that they are not ever on the same page as each other. Policies which will not wok are forced onto staff - most recently, 12 hour shifts. Nothing is ever done in a timely manner. The facility is only kept decently clean. I also do not feel it is a safe place to work, as many staff have been injured by clients who are not given consequences or taught responsibility and accountability.
Pros
free meals, good benefits
Cons
unsafe, poor management, bad policies
November 12, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Although, as a current employee, I would highly recommend bringing your concerns to hospital leadership or HR so they can clarify any policy ambiguity that concerns you. Hospital units are, indeed, moving to 12-hour shifts for a variety of reasons, such as offering better care to clients by operating under a medical model that is common in other hospitals, providing employees more time to practice self-care and avoid fatigue by working four 12 hour shifts rather and five 8+ hours shifts. This model also provides more stability for clients due to less staff changes throughout the day. These changes are not being forced onto anyone, as all employees were informed well in advance of the coming changes and allowed to request transfer, if they so choose, to residential units where 8-hour shifts remain in practice. Cleanliness in the hospital is a priority and our housekeeping team works diligently to maintain high standards, with visual inspections performed regularly and results reviewed by the Safety Management Committee.

Fun working environment
BHT (Current Employee) –  Hays, KSOctober 22, 2018
It’s a pretty fun environment to work in. Awesome co-workers and it’s beneficial working with kids. Can be disorganized and very stressful at times. Scheduling is always easy to work with, and they’re pretty flexible at KVC. KVC coworkers/supervisors are caring and wanting to make sure other coworkers are taken care of.
October 26, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on working at KVC. You do such important work in caring for children who have experienced trauma. We know it can be stressful, but the kids need compassionate, dedicated people like yourself to help them build resilience and strength. Thank you for your efforts. You are a treasure and we are fortunate to have you onboard.

Low pay
Community Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KS 66762October 17, 2018
Pay is less than average for job duties
Work until done. No life work balance
There are a lot of workers that need to understand communication is priority.
Some of the management need gone. One in particular throws people under bus by misquoting and doesn’t do her own job
Cons
No advancement opportunities
October 26, 2018

Thank you for sharing your impressions of KVC, and we wish you well in your next endeavor. KVC’s compensation is actually on par with other similar nonprofits. It’s true though that funding and compensation are limited in the child welfare field. That’s why KVC is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to augment our employees’ compensation. I am sorry that you, personally, experienced a lack of work/life balance in your time with KVC. As an organization, we do stress the importance of self-care with our employees and encourage the practice of setting boundaries with our time. This allows our staff to care for their own families, as well as the families and children we serve. Management is an important part of conveying that message to their teams. KVC recognizes that some people are natural managers, while others need opportunities to build those skills. I’m happy to report that HR is rolling out a new management training program for all KVC employees in management positions. Soon all staff will benefit from their increased skills and ability to lead and nurture the valuable employees who are doing such important work with children and families.

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Parsons, KSSeptember 19, 2018
I believe the translation from the latin covers it better than I could. "The thing speaks for itself."

95% of the people at the agency were easy to get along with, hard working folk. About 5% were the reason that the attrition rate hovered at 44% during my tenure. I was the last of 4 therapists for 2 counties in extreme southeast Kansas. My position, after 2 years, has not been filled.
Pros
Helping high needs children in need of care.
Cons
A middle management person.
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here. KVC is, in fact, filled with many wonderful, mission-driven folk who get up every morning wanting to help people. In child welfare there are many reasons for the high rate of attrition, which is common in this field in every state across the country. It would appear that you did work in one of the more challenging areas of the state, due in large part to the considerable distances required to travel in reaching clients in that territory. KVC regularly adapts staffing needs based on a number of factors such as demand for services, available talent and the need to make the best use of limited funding resources for our work. In short there are any number of reasons your former position may not have been filled. We thank you for the time and commitment you shared working with the children and families of southeast Kansas and wish you well in your current endeavors.

Meets my expectations
QA (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 11, 2018
I am a new hire at the Topeka location. A current employee spoke HIGHLY of this company so I was more than excited to apply. I only have an Associate's degree in this field. No other agency would hire me because I didn't meet the education requirements. The pay is good for the work that I do. It has not been stressful so far. But I am well aware that it's coming. I am prepared. It comes with the territory. Sink or swim, right? I am attending classes to obtain my BSW and so on. I plan to retire as a Social Worker with this company. Everyone I work with is helpful and knowledgeable. The company itself is employee AND client oriented. People Matter.
Pros
Highly rewarding. Excited to come to work here.
Cons
No tuition reimbursement.
September 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your initial impressions of KVC. We are delighted to have you aboard the team. Be sure to utilize the support and guidance of your supervisors as you get more and more familiar with your new job. That’s what they’re there for and they will do their best to ensure you swim, not sink.

While KVC does offer a very generous benefits package to our employees, tuition reimbursement is not within our budget at this time. However, you may be interested in checking out the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). You can find more information about it at https://www.forgetstudentloandebt.com/student-loan-relief-programs/non-profit-student-loan-forgiveness/

Not enough pay for a difficult job
SAFETY CRISIS MANAGEMENT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSSeptember 8, 2018
Very rewarding, but very physically and emotionally draining job. Staff is simply not appreciated enough to have a staff base that is consistent. Mangers are not quick to help.
September 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience at KVC. I’m sorry that you felt unsupported at times. The work we do can be draining, no doubt. But it is also so important to the children and families we serve. We thank you for the time you invested at KVC. To improve our employees’ experience at KVC, we continually strive to improve modes of training and communication to ensure that all managers and supervisors are well prepared to support our valuable frontline employees. We wish you well in the future.

KVC is constantly on the cutting edge of development and programming in Child Welfare
Community Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 7, 2018
KVC allows an employee tremendous opportunities for upward mobility. Depending on what department you're in, stress can play a significant role as well.
Pros
Great vision with great leadership
Cons
Stressful and sometimes difficult to get ideas heard and implemented
September 10, 2018

Thank you for sharing your impressions of KVC. One can encounter a certain amount of stress and change working in a child welfare nonprofit. Through the efforts of dedicated employees like you, KVC constantly works to find innovative solutions to challenging situations because, at the heart of it all, we know that people matter. Thank you for being part of that mission.

Hard place to work but rewarding at times
COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 28, 2018
The job is trying! Some days you see miracles and next you see the worst. The trauma most of the kids here have suffered would break moat people's hearts and it's our job to provide a caring and supportive climate for them to heal in. Not a job that everyone can stand but definitely a great opportunity to help kids through tough times.
Pros
An occasional free lunch or snacks.
Cons
Dealing with kids at some of the worst situations of their lives
September 2, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing your insights. As you know, the heart of our work is helping people, especially the children. KVC relies on dedicated, mission-driven individuals like yourself to work with families and children authentically and compassionately toward the goal of seeing every person safe and connected to a strong family and a healthy community. We are grateful for your contribution to this vital effort and your patience and steadiness in the face of sometimes very trying circumstances. Thank you for doing what you do, for recognizing that people matter, and for staying the course and being part of the solution to a very big challenge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KVC Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.