L-3 Communications Employee Reviews

Management very disconnected from workers
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Multiple locationsFebruary 22, 2018
The management was extremely disconnected from day to day workers. This had the affect of distancing management to the point that management would never know what was going on.
Summary
Senior Buyer/Master Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Same as General Dynamics.
Both, L-3 and General Dynamics are in a different business and product lines than HP/Agilent Tech., therefore, the first weeks at work was most involved to learn the products, internal and external partners, products and how they were built (actually sitting on the line with the tech and learn how the products were built).
The management and workplace culture similar to General Dynamic.
Hardest part:Assurance of supply from single sourced suppliers. The suppliers were manufacturing certain parts only for L-3 and no one else!
Most enjoyable parts: Accomplishment, teamwork, and positive results.
Pros
Work life balance
Stressful place to work
Accounts Payable Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Learned a lot working at L-3. Stressful environment. Workload was for two people, but given to one. High turnover in the accounting department due to management.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Workload
A very typical defense contractor.
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Work environment is fairly laid back with good work/life balance. Not much challenging assignments for new grads. Management could be better. Location is convenient for most Southern California communities.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
Lack of diverse projects for new grads.
A great company that is good to its people
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 19, 2018
I worked at L-3 for a long time and if it wasn't for the change in managers I would still be there. My job was to help the top level executives with their computers and be ready at a moments notice. All of the executives were easy to work with and understanding when it came to issues with their computers.

The problem came when they hired a new manager over the help desk. This man had little to no experience in working with and managing people. He ruled with an iron fist and micro managed everyone. It is because of this person that I left. This company is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone that isn't going to be at the help desk.
Good government contracting company
Project Manager Sr (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 18, 2018
Good government contracting company with good benefits.
The job was dependent on the contract and L-3 was not able to place folks after the end of the contract.
Enjoyed my time there..
RF Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere. People willing to help you succeed and learn throughout the job. Enjoyed my time with this company. Lots of team building activities and social engagements.
Manager to worried about bonuses...
Engineering Technician III (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 15, 2018
Work two levels above current job description only to be passed over for promotion. Miniscule or no pay raises. Set up for failure, never had everything needed to complete tasking. No support from management.
Pros
Steady work when contracts were won.
Cons
No advancement or pay raises, poor leadership.
Fun Work Enviornment
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 14, 2018
I had a great team to work with, so that made the job easier. There are many positions, but if you have any sort of technical background, this is the company for you.
Bad Timing
Change Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 14, 2018
They were under a bid war and lost. It was no fault of the people I worked with the company that took over was not good at all. They did not care about the workers.
Good
Q.C inspector (Former Employee) –  St Pete, FLFebruary 13, 2018
I worked there 90 days as a temp. I have good feeling about work place .The workers were very helpful, and excellent to get along with. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Good work place
Cons
Temp
L-3 Technolgies
Operations Floater (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYFebruary 13, 2018
L-3 was the best career I've had, it was challenging at times being the only shipper in the beginning. However, I was proven to have great rewards and accomplishments.
Pros
Summer Time Cookouts the 2nd week of every month.
Cons
being laid off after 11 years
Fast paced with Good benifits
Quality Manager/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 12, 2018
Company was down sizing for lack of business, Waco is a good area with low cost of living. benefits were the best in the business. Heavy hours. Head of State aircraft to Military Aircraft of all sizes.
Pros
Benifits and time off
Cons
Fast paced heavy hours
Exciting and Fast Paced
Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 12, 2018
You meet many different people and see something different every day. It's an exciting, fast-paced environment. It's a great company to learn with and to grow within. Benefits are amazing, as well as the management and pay.
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Technical Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAFebruary 11, 2018
Co-workers helpful and friendly. Management culture evolving from small-company style to larger company style. Mutual respect of all within my department.
flight line work
Plane Captain (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 9, 2018
It was great working on the flight line on different types of aircrafts and meeting different types of service men and women. The co-workers were to work with and always willing to lend a helping hand.
Pros
paid time off, working with service men and women
Poor Management
Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAFebruary 8, 2018
Organization is cut throat and incompetent. Great place to work if you like to hide and not take responsibility. Management clueless and expects you to provide them with your ideas so they can take credit for them. Terrible work/life balance. Expected to work 60+ hours and weekends without reward or recognition.
Pros
You can hide for 10 years in your job as long as you stay low
Cons
You can hid for 10 years...
Technician
Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 8, 2018
Fast pace environment and constantly busy throughout the day. Multi-task required to become a more valuable employee. Target product output required on a daily basis.
Pros
always busy
Cons
lack of pay
Flight Recorder (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 8, 2018
I had first moved to Florida and was able to secure a position within the Voice Recorder division of Loral (was the name of the company at that point).
Pros
good job for the region
Job security risky
Heavy Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAFebruary 7, 2018
If the company kept its promise or word to us as employees , especially the pay raise and guaranteed our term in the contract, I would have return but I have a family and being unemployeed for 3 months was a heavy burdenon my family
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Layoffs. Not sure how long you will have a job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L-3 Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.4Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight