L.A. CARE HEALTH PLAN Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Call Center Lead (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 19, 2018
LA Care is a great place to work. Right in the middle of DTLA. The people are friendly and work hard for our members. The management is fair and are there to help you succeed.
This place is nuts!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesOctober 12, 2018
Micro managed / leads walk around trying to find reps on their phone as if they’re security/ supervisors are under trained/ leads get annoyed when u call for assistance/ track your lunch and breaks like a hound/ LOTS of favoritism if you aren’t kissing a** u may not move up in the company/ stressful/ schedule change every 3 months/ can’t even stand up too long without somebody complaining mind you , you’re sitting 8 hours/ no communication amongst supervisor and team!
Pros
Free lunches sometimes/ good start off pay
Cons
Poor management, poor leadership team, micro management like you’re 5 years old
Beware!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2018
If you like favoritism, micromanaging, and are okay with keeping your head down, then this is the environment for you. Leadership is deplorable, and executive leadership turns a blind eye. Would not recommend if you have morals, truly have a passion for healthcare, and want career advancement. You wont grow unless you have friends in high places.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
terrible leadership, toxic work environment, no growth opportunities
Discrimination, Poor management, long working hours
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2018
Poor Process, too many meetings, no tools, everything is manual. I was contract employee who was expected to complete 12 hours of work on a 8 hr schedule. No credit given for good work done.The perm employee gets all the credit while the temp does all the hard work. This place is HORROR.

I met some good people but i hated the team I worked for.
Pros
Fruits on Fridays
Cons
Biased Management, Contract employee not treated well
no work life balance, no matter how much they preach it
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2018
They bait you with all the classes and activities and discounts that you can try and then give you the worse schedule ever based on seniority. A week into working there they made our class aware of the MANDATORY overtime. I never got out on time to attend a single class. The managers were extremely unhelpful and would take forever to answer your call only to tell you to check your training manual for assistance on a call.
Pros
summer time and fridays were casual dress
Cons
everything else
Great place to learn
MLTSS Triage Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2018
This company has taught me so much, learned about the health care industry, the level of care involved with certain members; assisted in providing services in place for certain members, that met the criteria such as In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Community based Adult Services (CBAS) Multipurpose Senior Service Program (MSSP) Care Plan Options (CPO) and Long-Term Care (LTC).
Great place to work for no room for growth
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 12, 2018
People here are friendly and great to work for.
Down fault-There is disconnect between upper management and employees.
Don't seem to have room for growth
What I learned.What you need to learn.
Provider Network Data Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 9, 2018
Some healthcare in corporate america sucks. Allot of degreed individuals, but common sense and compassion is very lacking. Was intimidated and belittled. The HR Department is pro Management no matter what. No work place culture. Selfish and uncaring people. The hardest part of the job was being belittled and treated as less than zero. The most enjoyable part of the job was that divine intervention saw that I did not belong there.
Pros
Cons
Lunch break, Poor Management, Poor Training.
a supportive department
Public Relations/Media Relations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2018
The department I work in has a nice group of people; it's a supportive environment.

I can't say that's true of other departments because I don't know.
Nepotism, Favoritism, Dishonest Management
Authorizations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2018
In the medical management department, out of 23 workers 8 were brothers and sisters. This is evident in all departments - everyone who works there has been referred by someone. So as an outsider you pretty much have no chance.

Management is just as horrible as it would be at any public agency - they say one thing then do another. False promises, showing favoritism to their favorites. CEO is the worst - just talks about politics in all meetings without improving anything, and gets a multimillion salary! for running a horrible non profit HAH!

Coworkers have no interest in the company or its mission, just their salaries. Horrible culture.
Pros
location
Cons
coworkers, management
Relaxed and fun workplace
Customer Support Center (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2018
I love working for LA CARE, it's like having a diverse family because everyone gets along. if it weren't for the commute everyday and the hour I get home at night I would definitely stay. It's such a relaxed environment and everyone is so pleasant to work with even the managers. The assisting members is the best part of the job, but at times it can be a little overwhelming when it's a member with a serious medical condition and there are some things that are just out of our hands.
Pros
Benefits, and empployees
Cons
commute
Managed Care Health Plan
Manager of Social Services Department (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2018
This is the largest publically funded health plan in the U.S., with over 2 million members, located in the most populated county in the country. This organization offered many opportunities to be involved with new initiatives and projects, while continuing to perform daily operations.
Collaborative, and diverse with a welcoming culture
Reporting Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2018
Working for LA Care was not only enjoyable but also challenging and rewarding at the same time. When I first began I did have to learn new processes but that was given since I was looking for a challenging position.
As time progressed I improved on those tasks by creating automated processes that saved time and improved on accuracy. Since it was a very dynamic department we kept up with any changes that would arise and implement new processes as needed. Working with such an accomplished and professional staff made it rewarding since I was always learning and working simultaneously. Management would allow us to work collaboratively and not work as if we were in silos which was a great help as well. On occasion I would run into some obstacles but with my staff we would always find a solution or work around to resolve any issues.
Now the most enjoyable part of the job was the team culture that was always positive, inclusive and skilled. I have to say even though I no longer work with them they will call from time to time to check up on me and I will do the same. I can't say that about every position I've held so I believe that says a lot about my time at LA Care.
Pros
Skilled staff, and friendly diverse co-workers
Insurety in Medical/Medicare amount to stressful decision making in management.
Senior Biostatistician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 21, 2018
Data problems persist on the front end, between Providers, the State, and LA Care. Surprisingly, management makes little effort to fix them. So backend user are always spending extra effort to solve data problems that should never have existed.
Pros
Analyst use their creativity to solve problems, which is a lot fun.
Cons
Your may work on something that turns out to not matter when you finish.
Poor Management, Favortism, Politics, High Turnover
Mgr, Shared Risk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2018
The Directors of Medical Payment Systems and Services are poor management, who favor their own ethnicity and male employees. There's strong political relationship between the directors and human resources, creating hidden retaliation work environment. Thus, the turnover is very high, especially those who are secretly discriminated and retaliated.
Cons
Poor Management.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90017July 16, 2018
Equal opportunity employment, room for growth. They care about their employees and try to show them in many ways. Member quality care is important and they strive to achieve satisfaction for members and providers.
the most enjoyable part of the job
PROVIDER RELATIONS ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesJuly 9, 2018
As an Account Manager, my job is fast-paced. Many of times having to make decisions that will impact my department is rewarding. Being able to work on my own is also satisfying
Pros
Able to work on my own
Cons
unable to move up
Good place to grow and learn
Workforce and Education Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 14, 2018
L.A. Care is a good place to grow and learn. Although it is constantly changing and growing the opportunities for advancement are there and you can really feel good about the mission of the organization.
Quiet and Productive
Claims Examiner/Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 4, 2018
Quiet, focused, researching and very diversed culture is amazing daily. Friendly day to day production. The hardest part of the day is after lunch you feel relaxed. Most enjoyable is being productive.
Pros
Update meetings
Cons
Need ovetime
A typical day at work
current employee (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 30, 2018
It's another organization to work for. Nothing terribly exciting to say and just waiting to see changes in the health care arena and pipeline over the next few years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L.A. CARE HEALTH PLAN. Our community is ready to answer.