L.A. CARE HEALTH PLAN Employee Reviews

Bad work environment
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 10, 2018
Management is awful, and if you report any incidents to HR nothing happens so don't bother. Taking authorized PTO is held against you as far as workload. Pay and benefits are great.
Pros
Benefits and compensation are great.
Cons
Horrible management teams.
Good compensation, poor management
Director, Business Development/Sales (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2018
A good rung on the ladder of career experience with decent income. there is a lack of vision in following the mission statement. Leadership position available to friends and acquaintances with a lot of unqualified individuals in leadership roles which results in poor decisions.
Pros
Compensation, Education reimbursement
Cons
Vision, pack of consistent direction, poor human resources support
Not what it used to be
Compliance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2018
It is not the place I enjoyed coming to and working at for years. It is one of the largest organizations serving the underserved populations of Los Angeles County, but the new executive leadership takeover has caused tremendous turnover at all levels and not for the better.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Invasion of east coast executive cronies. Mass exidus of legacy employees.
Good Company Overall
Customer Solution Representative (Current Employee) –  Downtown Los AngelesNovember 23, 2018
Great pay and benefits, these are the only positives. Unless your a supervisor your input never matters. constantly micro managed. always also accused of doing things that you never did with no proof either.
Pros
Good pay and Benefits
Cons
Micro Managed
Nepotism, Favoritism, Dishonest Management
Authorizations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2018
In the medical management department, out of 23 workers 8 were brothers and sisters. This is evident in all departments - everyone who works there has been referred by someone. So as an outsider you pretty much have no chance.

Management is just as horrible as it would be at any public agency - they say one thing then do another. False promises, showing favoritism to their favorites. CEO is the worst - just talks about politics in all meetings without improving anything, and gets a multimillion salary! for running a horrible non profit HAH!

Coworkers have no interest in the company or its mission, just their salaries. Horrible culture.
Pros
location
Cons
coworkers, management
Great Benefits
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2018
Good benefits and great diversity in the work-environment. Fit4Life program is my favorite and the great discounts to local gyms to promote health and wellness.
Relaxed and fun workplace
Customer Support Center (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2018
I love working for LA CARE, it's like having a diverse family because everyone gets along. if it weren't for the commute everyday and the hour I get home at night I would definitely stay. It's such a relaxed environment and everyone is so pleasant to work with even the managers. The assisting members is the best part of the job, but at times it can be a little overwhelming when it's a member with a serious medical condition and there are some things that are just out of our hands.
Pros
Benefits, and empployees
Cons
commute
La care
CSC Lead Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2019
LA Care was a good advancement opportunity for me in further expanding my knowledge. LA Care does lack in training materials and proper direction from Management.
Pros
Environment, pay
Cons
breaks, training, management, clear direction
Great Place to work
Call Center Lead (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 19, 2018
LA Care is a great place to work. Right in the middle of DTLA. The people are friendly and work hard for our members. The management is fair and are there to help you succeed.
Lacking strong leadership
Appeals and Grievances Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2018
Workplace culture: Pay is adequate, Stressful, favoritism is rampant

Management: lacking strong leadership

Hardest part of the job: no open door policy

Benefits: Good to excellent
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of communication
Fast pace environment with Mentors there to help you
MEMBER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2018
answer 60 calls per day, find resolutions, file Grievance and Appeals, changing doctors for patients per their request, explain the benefits of their insurance plans, what it covers and what is not covered. Assist with Prescriptions overrides, also assisted patients with Authorizations that are pending status. The hardest part of my job was being hard on myself because I want perfection. The most enjoyable part of the job, was talking to members of all ages, and different cultures and disabilities and to be able to help them out and guide them in the right direction to get the help they need made me feel like I saved their life Physically and Mentally.
Pros
Great pay with Great benefits
Cons
No opportunity to grow within the company
Beware!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2018
If you like favoritism, micromanaging, and are okay with keeping your head down, then this is the environment for you. Leadership is deplorable, and executive leadership turns a blind eye. Would not recommend if you have morals, truly have a passion for healthcare, and want career advancement. You wont grow unless you have friends in high places.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
terrible leadership, toxic work environment, no growth opportunities
Committed, compassionate and determined staff
Director (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 27, 2018
The people are committed to this community and this is demonstrated by their hard work and determination. There is a tuition reimbursement program and staff is encouraged to use this to further their education. The teams are collaborative and want to make a difference.
Pros
Fresh Fruit Fridays, Business Casual Dress Code
Cons
No work life balance
Good Place to Work
Enterprise Organizational Change Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Wonderful opportunities to learn, grow and advance quickly through a fast growing and maturing organization. Great place to work if you are good with ambiguity and are self driven toward managing your work.
Pros
Fun and open culture
Cons
Rate of growth is outpacing the processes
Ok Place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2018
Great work/life balance.
High turn over in employment. Often good employees leave the managers that did not how to take time to appreciate their work.
Great place to learn and networking. Most of the employees are kind and helpful.
Pros
free yoga and trainers
Cons
Ok
Claims Recovery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2018
Learn many new skills, great office moral, management was great. Training and location was exceptional. Many incentives for employee's that went above and beyond.
What I learned.What you need to learn.
Provider Network Data Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 9, 2018
Some healthcare in corporate america sucks. Allot of degreed individuals, but common sense and compassion is very lacking. Was intimidated and belittled. The HR Department is pro Management no matter what. No work place culture. Selfish and uncaring people. The hardest part of the job was being belittled and treated as less than zero. The most enjoyable part of the job was that divine intervention saw that I did not belong there.
Pros
Cons
Lunch break, Poor Management, Poor Training.
Not Recommended
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2018
Director of Medical Payments micro manages and treats employees badly.. unless you are part of her "circle" youre SOL.. plus she has lackies who cant wait to give her gossip. HR really has her back. If you notice.all negative management revoews are about her.
Pros
Flexible hours
Fast paced productive company
Claims Quality Control Examiner (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 7, 2018
LA CARE is a great place to work...great benefits as well as great management that encourage the employees to learn more and move up in the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team work.
Collaborative, and diverse with a welcoming culture
Reporting Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2018
Working for LA Care was not only enjoyable but also challenging and rewarding at the same time. When I first began I did have to learn new processes but that was given since I was looking for a challenging position.
As time progressed I improved on those tasks by creating automated processes that saved time and improved on accuracy. Since it was a very dynamic department we kept up with any changes that would arise and implement new processes as needed. Working with such an accomplished and professional staff made it rewarding since I was always learning and working simultaneously. Management would allow us to work collaboratively and not work as if we were in silos which was a great help as well. On occasion I would run into some obstacles but with my staff we would always find a solution or work around to resolve any issues.
Now the most enjoyable part of the job was the team culture that was always positive, inclusive and skilled. I have to say even though I no longer work with them they will call from time to time to check up on me and I will do the same. I can't say that about every position I've held so I believe that says a lot about my time at LA Care.
Pros
Skilled staff, and friendly diverse co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L.A. CARE HEALTH PLAN. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at L.A. CARE HEALTH PLAN.

Powered by Comparably