L.L. Bean, Inc.

• Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Excellent company

L.L. Bean is an excellent company and if you work there you'll have a fantastic time. The people who I worked with were incredible people. The company is fantastic in giving back to the community where they have stores.

Customers are great

The best part of working there is the customers are generally great. The new manager is also a nice person. The worst part is cleaning public bathrooms and having to vacuum huge carpet with junky old vacuum. They started the day talking about the $$ targets and talk of setting records. I don't know why they don't hire a cleaning crew with all the record profits they make! One of the lead people was impatient and not nice if she was under any stress They never scheduled me with 2 days off in a row even though I requested this when hired.

Pros

great customer base

Cons

cleaning public bathrooms, vacuuming huge rug with junk equipment, never getting 2 days off in a row

Good company, poor management

I worked at Bean for a year & a half. I love the company! The pay was decent (as a student), my coworkers were friendly & the discount was great. However, the management at this store was incredibly poor. Scheduling was never good/flexible & I felt like I was walking on eggshells a fair amount of the time. Management was also discriminatory towards me, personally, based on gender identity. I wish I could have stayed but I had to resign.

Pros

Good discount, a fun handful of coworkers.

Cons

Poor management.

Great company to work for, management was amazing

I worked in the call center for customer service and I loved working there. The management and supervisors were great. Almost all people working, even in different departments were kind and positive. Only a few people were mean to others and miserable, just like any job you might have. I loved working for Llbean and would work for them again if pay was higher!

Pros

Great management, room for growth and advancement

Cons

Low pay

Has gone extremely down hill please read

Your treated just like another temp every year, never any advancement, TERRIBLE pay, had a family emergency and they didn’t care at ALL. No PTO nothing. Work hard the whole season? You’ll get denied any long term employment and hours are heavily favored towards permanent employees, if you need a tiny bit of extra money sure join LL bean! With your $165 a week pay that amounts to absolutely nothing. They don’t care about you at all, they just want bodies to fill the position, You’re just a number and you do not matter to them. Just make the CEO richer should be the motto! Believe me.

Pros

Cons

Pay, hours, management

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

If you don’t fit the clique you won’t last there

The management can be wicked mean and if you don’t fit, you’re out. It could be a fun place but it’s ruined by hostility and ultimately greed. It’s such a shame companies still behave as such.

Pros

LL Bean has great outdoor stuff

Cons

Most hires have zero interest in nature and the outdoors

It's Retail, not the great outdoors

LL Bean is your typical retail company. I went in with promises that this company was different, but it turned out to be just the same as all the other big box stores just dressed up in khaki shorts. Upper management constantly cutting hours and making bigger demands, micro managing the stores, making last minute decisions only to change their minds again. Payroll cut so low that you would be running the entire store with 2-3 people all day. We were lucky to have a great store manager that made things SO much easier or I would never have stayed. She created an amazing store culture that had nothing to do with the company. The company also seems to favor the Maine based stores, policies and procedures are developed for them and don't ever really work for smaller stores outside of Maine, very frustrating. On a positive note, PTO is generous, health insure plan is great, 401 K is nice, some nice little perks along the way too. In the end it is an ok place to work as long as the people in your building are sane, otherwise get in you canoe and start paddling!

Pros

generous PTO

Cons

upper management completely out of touch

ok place to work. very easy job

you take customer calls, answer their questions about the products, review an place the order and take the next call. very quiet place to work and people were friendly

Pros

flex schedule

Cons

mandatory schedule 2 weeks out from christmas

Good benefits, bad management

I enjoyed my time with my coworkers and assistant manager, but the manager was disrespectful and treated my fellow employees poorly based on gender identity.

Pros

discount

Cons

short breaks, poor management, difficult location

Depends on your role...

Vast majority of postiions in local market are warehouse and manufacturing. There is no - or very limited - clear career path out of those positions, and people are often pigeon holed. Those receiving promotions seem to get them more through politics than actual ability. But the pay is adequate, benefits solid, and while there is little flexibility is scheduling, it is very predicitable.

Pros

Predictable / consistent schedule

Cons

Next to zero career path.

Customer service Representative

Worked on the phones. High volume mostly, easy with placing orders and helping customers pick things out for purchase. Called other locations for products if unavailable online. Overall a great place to work.

Pros

Flexible, time off, usually extra hours

Cons

Short lunches

The training and the leadership.

I love working at LL Bean. The management team is strong and knowledgeable about procedures and products. No matter what the question, they are ready to support and educate about the subject. I always feel encouraged and supported. Great atmosphere!

Pros

Diversity training, professional support and encouragement

Cons

Paying for parking

Used to be fun

Management is scattered and not well versed in actual management, unless you consider micromanagement to be a style. Brown nosing is key to get ahead, and if you don't, you will be left behind.

Family work environment

Management was super relaxed and always wanted to accommodate you. Felt like a family work environment, made great friends working here. Work here if you enjoy talking and learning about your coworkers, as everyone who works here tends to be very outgoing. Recommend for anyone who is interested in the outdoors!

Pros

Relaxed work environement

Cons

Can be boring

seems good at first gets depressing

I really enjoyed aspects of work there. But as an average employee I was doing the same work as leaders and getting paid wayyyyyy less. I think that’s one thing the company needs to address .

Pros

easy to talk to managers

Cons

bad at listening to schedule conflicts.

Good seasonal job

Very fun but not accommodating when you need to call out last minute (i was fired for calling out after my brother was put in the NICU.) Employees were very nice and easy to talk to.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

republicans

Great job and company, okay pay

Working at L.L. Bean was very good, despite not being paid enough. The employees are kind, the managers are very helpful and overall it was a good experience.

Pros

E-store, benefits

Cons

pay

Cool place to work

I love it here it’s so fun and the boss really cares about you. I wish I had longer break times. Overall great company. I would reccommed to all of my friends and family

Productive and fun workplace

A fun, honest, and fast paced job no matter what department you work for. Management is usually always there to help in whatever you may need. Wether it be extra training, schedule changes, etc.

My time with L.L. Bean was extremely disappointing

The management at this branch of Bean’s was not kind, encouraging or productive. It was the worst working experience I’d ever had up to this point in my sales career. I made many friends but all work relationships were colored by a very toxic work environment entirely due to management of this particular store.

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Toxic work environment, encouraged not to talk to other employees during your shift, not allowed to go to the restroom unless on break, meaningless tasks instead of productive ones, not respected or treated well by management

Low wage seasonal employment, nice clothes

LL Bean is a famous Maine destination and popular place to work. The low wage, combined with constant badgering to hawk the Bean credit card (for an insulting $1 commission, several years ago) is the primary reason I won't be reapplying, after having worked both retail and call center.

Pros

Clothing deals

Cons

Low pay, inconsistent hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L.L. Bean, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Women's ratings

2.3Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

25%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss