L.L. Bean, Inc.

L.L. Bean, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States805 reviews

llbeanseasonalmainediscountseasonoutdoorproductcustom

Good coworkers and managers, hours were good

Working during the holidays was best because it was busy and we had stuff to do. Managers were helpful and super nice. Hours were good in the holiday seasons Bc they needed people

Best company to work for!

LL BEAN, INC. really values their employees. They give excellent benefits including company discounts, access to the Employee store, paid holidays & overtime & a most flexible schedule. They encourage their employees to "borrow" their equipment & take them to use such as canoes, kayaks, skates..most anything! Best company to work for with super nice people that really care & support you.

L.L. Bean, Inc. insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Great people to work with

So far, very enjoyable. There is a great deal of integrity and pride among the employees and a sense of camaraderie and team spirit. Defined policies that are helpful. Freeport is quite a fun bubble in which to work. Always something fun happening at Bean or in town.

Fun, fun fun

Working at LLBean is the most satisfying job I have ever had. Everybody is so helpful, friendly and respectful. I look forward going to work everyday. We call it the bean family. Can't get any closer. We look out for eachother.

Pros

Friendly

Cons

Non

LL Bean is a fun retail job for a quick paycheck

The job (retail sales associate/guide) is very easy and it pays well (16 an hour) for very minimal work. The hardest part is talking to tricky customers. Would recommend to anyone who is looking for a seasonal job to get by. In my case I was doing a lot of work when we had to close one store and open a new one so I got a raise, you will get a $.25 raise every year you work for the company which is also pretty cool. Great benefits for non-temporary employees and a pretty decent bonus too.

Not bad

Not the worst place you could work. Typical retail environment. The company however does feel very reactive instead of proactive in some of its approaches.

Fun work environment

I feel like family working at LL Bean. Great work environment!! Equality matters. Staying up to date & always improving to satisfy the customer needs.

Pros

Generous discount

Cons

Na

Productive and fun workplace with a sense of community and belonging

LLBean is a terrific place to work. I have worked for several retail companies, and they are hands down the best. They treat their employees extremely well.

A great place to work overall. If your a hard worker then Beans will recognize that with a raise.Growth within the company is possible too. LLBean has been in business for over a century and still going strong. Beans is a family own business. They take pride in their employees.

Don't bother with Second Shift, You will be treated like dirt

The work is monotonous and hard if you have co-workers that won't carry their own weight (which is many of them). The management has no idea how to do any work on the floor so don't expect any help if you're super short staffed. Also, the favoritism/nepotism is insane. Your hard work doesn't matter if you're not sucking up to the right people. It will destroy your hands, doesn't matter what position you're in. Second shift gets tossed around to different building and shifts to fill needs and you're in trouble if you can't make that work for you.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Poor Management, Instability

What is the best part of working at the company?Co- workers are friendly. Flexible hours that fit your needs, and like being paid every week. I would recommend anyone to go here. But I wish I could of had more hours to get on medical insurance. That's my only drawback. Also my hours being cut wasn't easy with bills to pay. Great for someone who's going to college and need flexibility. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Getting my hours cut alotWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Excellent friendly managers and co-workers.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Really good. Miss the employees and managers.

Enjoyable job ~ short season

The LL Bean At Home Order Department Job was a very enjoyable one to have, especially during the holiday shopping season! The customers were friendly for the most part and the job was never monotonous.Cons: 2 weeks of training for 2 months of work.very short season. Lots of times where they want you to clock out early when phones are not busy.

Pros

Good discount. Management helpful for the most part.

Cons

Short season after learning so much.

Picker/Packer

Poor management, distribution employees were made to feel bottom of the heap no matter what. It it is a literal injury factory. You don’t need on-site physical therapy offices, if not. Workers are expendable.

At home work makes it easy

Since all CS agents work from home, it makes it very appealing as a second job. Pay is decent and the discount is a nice perk. Equipment is supplied, plenty of training, opportunities for growth if you’re willing to put in the extra time. Some limited flexibility for scheduling but for seasonal work, it’s a good fit

Overall, great place to work

Great benefits, great management. It is retail so coming to work everyday amid a pandemic and interacting with people who might not necessarily care about you or your health/wellbeing is not ideal. But definitely one of the best retailers I’ve ever worked for.

I LOVED Working for LL Bean

I left my job of six years to be closer to family out-of-state and the worst part was leaving my job. The culture of the company is incredible. I felted valued, respected and I enjoyed my work. Supervisors are supportive, encouraging and friendly. I worked four years on the day shift then was asked to take a temporary assignment on 2nd shift. My first reaction, “I too old for that” (55) but when they asked again I decided I could do it for a month and see daylight, as it was winter in Maine. Two nights in, I told my supervisor I wanted to switch to nights. I loved sleeping in a little later, getting somethings done during the day and mostly, I enjoyed less “employee politicking” at night. There are plenty of cross-training and advancement opportunities but it is up to you to make the most of all LL Bean has to offer. I started out at $15/hr and left at $22/hr. Plenty of seasonal overtime hrs and exceptional benefits. If you are generally a personal who is dissatisfied in life, you will find a reason to complain but otherwise this place can put a smile on your face if you let it and you like the work.

Fun place to work but understaffed

The crew that works here is awesome. They’re super friendly, welcoming, and always happy to help you learn. The store is very understaffed though, possibly because of the low pay and early/late opening and closing times.

Poor Management

LL Bean could be a nice place to work but is miserable when understaffed which is most of the time. Management plays a game of understaffing to inflate yearly bonuses for management and relies on people who have brand loyalty to work there. Clothes and products are neat but avoid working there unless you are desperate.

Excellent training, nice people

The training for the position is phenomenal and the employees/management are all friendly and approachable. Pay is as expected and advertised, but hours are less than indicated during the hiring process. Example: job listing states requirement to be available for minimum of 6 hour shifts and a minimum of 4 shifts per week, but you are scheduled for one or two shifts per week for as little as 5 hours per shift. I wish this had been more honestly represented.

Productive and respectful work place.

I am a Fishing Sales Representative in Hunting/Fishing at the Freeport, Maine Location. I am overly satisfied with my job, my work environment and the management. One thing I do not appreciate is how I am transferred from one station to another so often, such as when I am thrown downstairs to the registers. That is not my job title, nor is it in my job description. But overall I love my job and would recommend to another person.

Great Production Job

Friendly management, lot of room for growth and learning, helpful coworkers. Weekly meetings where you can discuss problems, or other matters. Free coffee and water are provided; sometimes you'll have to make the cup if it's late or you're arriving early. Encouraged to bring up any discomfort or safety problems asap in order to help. Good diversity of people & ideas.

Pros

Stretch Breaks, Corporate meetings, PTO upon hire.

Cons

Job times don't always properly align with how long they really take.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L.L. Bean, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at L.L. Bean, Inc..
Powered byComparably