L.L. Bean, Inc. Employee Reviews

Excellent Company, managers, and #1 internal/external customer service.
Retail Customer Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJanuary 21, 2019
As a Team Lead I was responsible for the daily activities of 28-35 Customer Service representatives. I monitored attendance, calls, and performance measures. I addressed any deficiencies, ran reports, and provided feedback for improvement. I provided written performance reviews, recommendations for advancement, as well as verbal & written warnings. I ran team meetings, training sessions, and weekly news letters.
LL Bean culture was one of a kind, where family and business crossed the T and dotted the i with character and dignity for all.
The hardest part of the job was having to end seasonal employee assignments because most of my people wanted regular full time positions that unfortunately were not available.
The most enjoyable part of the job was training a rookie and seeing them develop and then soar.
Pros
Exceptional Management, generous caring environment.
Cons
Scheduling is inconsistent. 24/7 Call Center.
Low Pay, Low hours if you're an Associate. Fun and good work environment though, co-workers are helpful, good management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake George, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Low hours, minimum wages, Good incentive opportunity. No matter how hard you work or great you are as an employee you'll get one poor raise a year. Scheduled short 4 hour shifts 6-7 days a week. Good training/Management. Not a job to pay bills as mentioned above. Great for a first job to improve customer service. Great for an extra job for extra money as management pays attention to your availability. Leads and managers are guaranteed great hours. Almost no hours in the winter.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Discount, Work atmosphere, Management
Cons
Low Hours, Low Pay
Fine company to work for
Client Support Rep Level One (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MESeptember 17, 2018
These days, the most attractive part of working for LL Bean is the employee discount (though that discount has been scaled back since 2015). If I had been a permanent full-time employee I would have had access to benefits. Very supportive culture both for the work needing to be done and for paying attention to the other aspects of a person's life: health, fitness and the outdoors. The manager was highly skilled and very respectful in motivating employees. Co-workers were collaborative and supportive and thorough in their support of each other including temp workers like myself.
Pros
Good work-life balance encouraged, ergonomic needs met with rapid response, good culture
Cons
Challenging demands on problem resolution: rapidity of call completion, success rate
Great
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEDecember 17, 2018
Answering phones for customer orders, looking up items, and helping customers out to a certain point. I learned about what a great company L.L. Bean is and how great the customers are as well. Workplace culture is awesome and there is always something management is doing to get you involved. The hardest part of the job was how it is seasonal. The best part was honestly everything else!
Pros
Free snacks, great management!
Cons
Not too much!
Great environment
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Freeport, MEAugust 5, 2018
This is an amazing company to work for. The management is great, the benefits are great, and the culture is warm and inviting! This is the best place I have worked!
Used to be a great place to work.
Retail Level (Former Employee) –  CTAugust 6, 2018
LL bean used to be a fantastic place to work, good benefits, hours, and the discount used to be generous. But management has really changed the work environment. Paychecks are mailed late, shifts are assigned with a weeks notice, and management ignores suggestions to improve the store. Not very supportive, very passive aggressive and love to do a lot of micro-managing. Co-workers and some customers are great! Not the place to be working if you are trying to raise a family though or develop a career. Not very flexible, want you to have open hours, don't want to give overtime ever. With the new change in policy employees have to take on more responsibility and aren't being compensated for it in any way.
Pros
friendly supportive co-workers, great customers
Cons
breaks, low pay, no career advancement.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MENovember 2, 2018
Greet customers, assist with purchase decisions. Inventory control and management. Great team work environment allowed the day to pass quickly. Frequent feedback from management and supervisors.

Many trainings offered and a variety of positions, duties, and tasks available.
Pros
The employee benefits
Cons
Distance
Excellent place to be
Runner/Ringer (Former Employee) –  95 Main St, Freeport, ME 04032October 17, 2018
I was a temporary winter employee to help with the influx of excited Christmas shoppers. I was a "Runner/Ringer" working behind the scenes collecting items for online and phone orders, billing the customers, and preparing the items for the shipping department. It is a healthy and fun workplace with amazing employees benefits. The management team is positive and helpful. Did I mention the E Store? The E Store is the employee store where customer returns and damaged goods land. I bough $116 signature line shoes for $15 because they had a small split in the seam.
Pros
401k health insurance, access to the employee store, etc
Cons
Most of our customers are wealthier and can be demanding and self- centered, but don't let them bother you
Great place to work, but one of the hardest places to move up the company in
Pack II (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJune 13, 2018
Loved working for L.L. Bean, but was difficult to move up career wise. Felt like I was never given in opportunity to move up like I wanted. Overall great benefits, but moral has been going down for a while.
Pros
Benefits and Work Life
Great work environment!
Store Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTJuly 20, 2018
L.L.Bean is a great place to work. The company values their employees and gives them benefits that coincide with that value. Great work life balance.
Pros for the Bean
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJanuary 23, 2019
This job fulfilled a need that I had when I began. My manager works with my availability schedule and that keeps me there. It offers a matching 401K also and that was not in any of the questions. THat is a big plus.
LL Bean strives for Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEOctober 9, 2018
LL Bean strives for Customer Service and offers a thorough training and on going training and on going incentives and perks for every individuals compliance to the culture.
Pros
Job hours flexibility
Cons
It's basically seasonal employment.
Great Place
Sales / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 5, 2018
My first retail job ever, couldn't have asked for a better experience.
This included the management team amd all of my coworkers.
nice centrally located area of the Burlington Market Place.
Pros
working culture, company discounts.
Passive Agressive Narcissists abound
Technical Lead/Sr. Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEFebruary 5, 2019
If you like dealing with sociopaths and narcissists, this is the place for you. I have a degree in Psychology so I know what-of I speak. I have never worked for a company that not only hires many of these people, they promote the culture that supports it. Lying, manipulation, control are normal everyday occurrences. The technology is outdated, creativity is squashed ( even if it means making the company more money).
Seasonal Customer Service & Sales (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEDecember 11, 2018
Collaborative team environment, casual, fast paced, great management. Excellent training, whatever you needed they would do for you, very ergonomically correct.
Pros
cater to employees
Cons
Changing schedule
Disappointment
Order Sort Lead (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEJune 29, 2018
LL Bean is a disappointing company to work for. Shifts were cut short and scale backs were made constantly during the week.
Management is weak and hardly knew what was going on till the 11th hour; we knew before them.
There were no benefits; seasonal is what we were classified as, even though we worked 50-70 hours a week.
The only thing they have going for them is their brand name which will be in trouble due to the changing of Retail.
They don't listen to their employees and get away with a lot being a privately owned company. It's only a matter of time.
Pros
flexible, employee discount, fun co workers
Cons
Scale backs, weak management, no benefits, lead on/lied to
LLB is nothing like their "people company"
Information Technical Scientist and Architect (Former Employee) –  A the time, close to home - Freeport, MEJune 22, 2018
Time management
Day Planning
They learned from me - my work was held up as a model for others to follow.
Management was poor.
The culture was hot and cold because the higher-ups never bothered with those below them (the real workers).
They took my work and passed it upward to give management the kudos.
The ultimate best was leaving after 13 years at this particular site.
Pros
I knew a few people there outside of work. It was nice to be able to chat feely.
Cons
Unfair Treatment over took the missions management put forth.
Good place to work, reputable
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 2, 2018
Great place to work for the first ten years, did lots of things there: Learning Specialist for 10 years, several stints as seasonal leader, and many other temporary opportunities.
Pros
Benefits, chance to leave early.
Cons
Office politics
Great Place to Work
Operations, Supply Chain and Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEOctober 22, 2018
L.L. Bean Inc is a great Maine Company. If you like the outdoors and a professional work culture, this might be the place for you.

Daily responsibilities included Report Creation, Data Analysis, minor level programming.

There was a lot of autonomy in the analyst role.
Pros
Employee discount, Pto, medical insurance, casual attire.
Cons
Health Care options could be better
Terrible environment, No chance for advancement
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYSeptember 26, 2018
The work environment was so hostile at LL Bean in Victor. The managers were incompetent and rude. I had no chance for advancement. I was told I would have a job when I returned for college breaks but they never returned my calls. Completely unprofessional.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L.L. Bean, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at L.L. Bean, Inc..

Powered by Comparably