La-Z-Boy Employee Reviews

No diversity in management
Sales & Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 24, 2018
It is not a good company to work for long term because it takes forever for your furniure sales to be delivered. If the furntiure was readily availabe in 30 days associates could make alot of money.

Black people are not respected in this company and are grossly underrepresented in managment.
Pros
Not long hours
Cons
Impossible to figure out how much you will make because of special orders
Started out great, but 2 management changes later
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 23, 2018
So I worked for lazboy for 2 years and 8 months. I really loved it. Interactions with the guest were great, my original team was amazing and the work load was fair.

Your basic job consists of greeting customers and selling furniture, inhome designs, and fabric protection. Easy enough and it is a great product. I did fairly well and made hourly when I first started but that was changed. In my area it was changed to 11/hr plus 2%commission on regular sales and 3% on inhome designs for full time and 10/hr for part time.

Where this job really sucked was the constant promises of "promotions from within". I interviewed for a management position 5 times. I was encouraged all 5 times to apply with having a "high potential". I didnt get it any if the times due to them hiring outside sources (which didnt work out) and promoting somebody that was retired then came back for part time, which turned to full time.

The nail that that finished the coffin for me was the store manager hired from outside (after hiring a different outside store manager that was sexist and terrible). This was fine at first but it quickly became a boys club. If you weren't in it you weren't in it ya know?

All in all, if you have a boys club mentality then this job will be great for you. If you are lucky enough to be at a store that has a great manager then you're golden.

I hope somebody from lazboy reads this loud and clear. Good employees don't leave a job, they leave a MANAGER.
Pros
Good discount, good insurance
Cons
Boys club in upper management, work life balance is off
clicks within the company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor City, NJSeptember 23, 2018
worked 12 hours sometimes when only 2 people would enter. Prices too high. The hardest part of the job is getting the customer to buy the product. enjoyable part was when the day was over
Pros
provided food for fundraiser
Cons
rude management
fast paced
Cashier/Customer Service/scheduling (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 21, 2018
i dont really recommend this company to be honest with you, they dont really care about their employees and they like to belittle people and make you feel unworthy.
Productive fun work place
Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Newton, MSSeptember 20, 2018
Learn a lot of new things , money is good . Benefits are good as well .. Manangement these is awesome . They make sure you get the job . Teach you all the things you need to be taught to be successful in the work place
Lazboy South does not care for their employees
Drafter/Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton, MSSeptember 20, 2018
Lazboy South is all about profit. They would spend millions in automation in order to layoff a handful of employees so they wouldn't have to pay benefits and insurance. I was being paid less than half what others were starting out making and people I was in charge of made nearly double what I made. When I asked to be hired full time since I was working 50-60 hours a week they laid me off.
Pros
Company Picnic
Cons
Layoffs.
Great Place to work
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 18, 2018
Great place to work with very nice income and benefits.
Plenty of room for advancement.
Great employee discounts for personal use.
Paid time off earned from first day.
Pros
Great Income
Cons
Long Hours
New Business Plan is creating an exodus in the company
Interior Designer (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 18, 2018
Working as an interior designer for la-z-boy for these past 8 years has been enjoyable until last year when they came out with a new business plan and pay structure. As a designer and full time employee I was making a base salary of $42K plus a tiered commission. On average, designers at la-z-boy we’re making up to $55K to $60K yearly. Now with this new plan we’re getting a $11K base salary plus 5% commission. Needless to say that if it’s a slow month (summer months) you’re working a full time schedule up to 48 hours a week and taking home a $500 paycheck after taxes and benefits are taken out. It happened to me more than 5 times. Also you will have to split your sales with your co-workers all the time because customers come back, if they do, when they want. And if you’re not there, it’s a split. There are drama in the store all the time because of this.
Before my responsibilities were going out on design appointments to clients homes, putting together a design presentation and also working as manager on duty at a few times. 80% design, 20% operations. Now because they switched the business plan, to be able to afford it, they went from running a store with 9-11 employees to running a store with 5. They eliminated roles and now as a designer I’m also a Sales Manager, sales associate, cleaning lady, customer service, stock room associate and call center operator (yes, they will have you calling over 100 people in a day to set up appointments for our sales). Now because you’re floor coverage, and manager on duty, you’re not allowed to leave the store on appointments. You’re not
  more... even given the opportunity to take your unpaid lunch break. On many occasions I went over 6 hours with no food because I was the only one on the sales floor. The high volume stores can afford this set-up because they generate more sales therefore can hire more people but the low volume ones cannot. High skilled employees are leaving by the flocks because of all these factors. And traffic just keeps getting worse with the competition out there selling the same product for less. After being here for over 8 years and generating this company over 1 million dollar a year in design sales I’m packing my stuff and leaving. I cannot afford working here. Look at other places and reconsider before you sign up for this job and decide to join this company.  less
Pros
Employees, quality products
Cons
Hours, pay, business set-up, inconsistency, upper management, corporate directors
Wasn’t the right fit for me...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PASeptember 16, 2018
Although I was only at the company for a few weeks, I have to disagree with the previous review for this store claiming that the company is a pyramid scheme. I found management at the store to be helpful and supportive. The commission structure is a new incentive and needs time to attract the right people. The ability to split tickets is too easy and on one instant, in my case, I feel bordered on theft.

I do agree that negativity toward others is present and I did not want to be involved, so I moved on.

It’s a great company, brand and product. I think some of the negatives will get ironed out in time and the company will be stronger.

So, if you sell what you belive in, the La-Z-Boy brand is something that you can believe in. Give the company a chance.
Pros
Supportive Managment
Cons
Some petty personalities
Love Hate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PASeptember 14, 2018
At first I really enjoyed this job and thought I had a chance for advancement. It is hr +commission however there really isn't any managment. And when they tell you that you will be a designer or a design assistant it's not true. It's not actual design work and when you do advance in anything else. They will refuse to pay you more. I honestly loved my job. But I Quit my bosses because to be completely honest.. it's a pyramid... and when you catch on to it. They will do whatever it takes to vote you out. And it's easy for people to steal sales so If you dont work every day all day. You will get your sales stolen from your best coworker. This job brought out the worst in people.
Pros
Benefits. Discount. Experience
Cons
Short breaks. Long hrs. Poor managment. Untrust worthy staff. Pyrimid scheme.
Great company to start your career.
Final Assembler (Former Employee) –  Newton, MSSeptember 13, 2018
La-Z-Boy South has many opportunities and benefits that can help you find a career in furniture and sales. I recommend this company to anyone thats willing and looking to settle down.
Mostly good
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaSeptember 13, 2018
The job itself is great, but the company is taking all the fun out of it with their micromanagement of the Consultants. They keep raising sales goals, while also expecting us to accomplish a ridiculous amount of busywork, much of which is redundant. The pay plan is overly complicated and changes often. Hours are difficult on a family.
However, the product is good, and the In-Home service is terrific.
Pros
Putting together rooms is fun
Cons
All weekends and holidays are required
Hard workin in sales all the time
SALES ASSOCIATE AND INTERIOR DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 8, 2018
I was badgered by management to make a certain amount of money in commissions or get fired. I also was recruited from my job to work for them and told i would make more my overall rating of this company is not good.
Pros
Knowledge of their products
Cons
Not enough product to sell to make the money i was use to
Job security was not there and pay structure changed 5 years in a row.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2018
Started off 5 years ago as a great company to work for. Really went downhill over the last couple of years. The pay structure changed five years in a row.
Provide great furniture
Furniture Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 4, 2018
The owners of the store I worked at sold the business a few months after I left there.My review is based on the former owners, apparently the new owners know how to run a furniture business, according to my friends who still work there.La-z-Boy makes great furniture.
fun place to work
Warehouse/delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 2, 2018
Great people to work for. locally owned and just all around great staff from the show room to the warehouse. I worked with a great group of guys. we always made the job fun
Enjoyable under the right supervision
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 30, 2018
It was an overall good work experience. If you can sell, be prepared for absolutely no work/life balance over the weekend. Once I started producing I worked almost every hour the store was open during the weekend... If it was a big sale weekend, I would have been better having a cot in the back.
Pros
Comfortable Chairs
Cons
NO Work/Life Balance
Competive job
Frame/Upholstery (Former Employee) –  Dayton, TNAugust 30, 2018
Competitive job for different jobs. Duties included getting parts and building and inspecting chairs. Occasionly had to build frames and internal components.
Pros
Friendly Enviroment
Cons
Competitive
Hard work pays off
Stuffer (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOAugust 30, 2018
You meet a lot of new people every time you get moved around into diffrent teams and somtimes you can make good money in the teams you get put in and in some you may not.
Pros
The fast you work the more money
Cons
Sometimes theres not may hours a week
Fast-paced
Router Operator (Former Employee) –  Newton, MSAugust 29, 2018
At a young age, I was given the opportunity to be employed by one of the largest company’s in America. Lazboy taught me much of what I am today and that is utilizing my time effectively, being able to take initiative when needed, and stepping up.
Pros
Work environment, short commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La-Z-Boy. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight