La Casa de las Madres

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Energizing work tasks

It was a great place to volunteer.

It was a great place to volunteer. I was helping in a call center, and sometimes I help also in the shelter. It was a great experience helping women and children to overcome difficult situations.

Pros

Help women and children.

Worst placed I ever worked

The work itself was amazing helping women find their strength. The thing that was tough was no support from the management team and staff abuse. Especially the Executive Director looking for ways to berate employees litteraly raising her voice at times. Listening in on the client conversations, reading employee emails and making up excuses to belittle the kindest employees. The other management didn't support staff and instead put more pressure on employees to serve the ED.

Great Cause, Good Support

There's been some changes in management and I've already noticed a big improvement. I feel supported and I'm learning more every day. What to expect: good benefits, regular check ins and learning from individuals who have been working in the domestic violence/social services field for many, many, years.

Pros

Support, good benefits, promotion opportunities

Cons

Occassional office gossip-but has gotten better since change in management

A fulfilling job

Challenging work, good pay and benefits, great work environment, a beautiful working space and the fulfillment of working for a cause you believe in. What more could you ask for?

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Supportive management

Cons

Work can be emotionally triggering

August 21, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, the work can be challenging but also very rewarding. Thank you for your commitment and believing in La Casa de las Madres’ great cause.

A great place to work, a great cause to work for

I've been working with La Casa de Las Madres for nearly a year now. I started out as a volunteer and then moved into a full-time role, and I couldn't be happier. The work is challenging and fulfilling, my colleagues are a pleasure to work with and committed to the cause, and the management has supported me every step of the way. As a queer POC, I take great pride in how supportive La Casa has been to my advancement in the organization and I was really disappointed to see baseless allegations of discrimination against the management. The compensation is very competitive for a non-profit and I find it to be enough to comfortably support a two person household with a reasonable amount saved. The benefits are really great! Medical, dental, paid time off, 403b matching, and the occasional box seats to Giants games :) They are also incredibly supportive of personal and professional development. Staff training, flexibility for school, great work-life balance, regular staff feedback sessions. I really don't have very much to complain about.

Pros

Engaging and fulfilling work, competitive compensation, great benefits, supportive management

Cons

The work can be emotionally taxing, especially in direct client service roles

August 21, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience. We take pride in all the hard work La Casa de las Madres’ employees do in the community and do our best to support them in their professional and personal development. We are also aware of the rising cost of living in the San Francisco Bay-Area and make every effort to offer a competitive compensation package to our team. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your work at La Casa.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Longtime Employee w/ deep experience in the field

I am surprised to see the negative reviews of La Casa and my only thought is that these are employees who did not work for La Casa for very long, or have some type of grudge against the organization. It is shocking to demean an organization doing such critical work. To liken working at La Casa to jail, or the cycle of abuse, is not only minimizing the experience of all those who come through the doors experiencing domestic violence, but also discourages other employees from applying to be a part of this critical work. La Casa does so much, with very little, to support survivors of domestic violence. In my time at La Casa I have seen the organization uphold the highest standards for both employees and clients to ensure fairness and the best possible services for all clients. Employees are given paid time off, sick time, tuition reimbursement, 401k matching. This is extremely rare in the non-profit world and highlights the commitment the organization has to its staff. The organization is guided by its mission as well as 40+ years of experience working with survivors. The way the services are provided are victim-centered, trauma-informed, radically inclusive and in-line with best practices across other programs. We should all hope to have more organizations like La Casa in the world.

Pros

Great benefits, meaningful work

August 21, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your commitment to the amazing and as you said, critical work that is done every day at La Casa de las Madres.

Compassionate Team Doing Important Work

Working at La Casa has been a great experience. Staff members across the board are kind, compassionate and empathetic. I feel supported on a daily basis from both my peers as well as members of the management team. I have learned so much about domestic violence and the best ways to support survivors from this job. La Casa's work with so many partner agencies also makes the work dynamic and interesting. Through these partnerships staff gets to be a part of supporting survivors of DV across many levels of San Francisco

Pros

Important work, great team, partnership

Cons

Na

August 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take pride in supporting our employees and providing them with the tools necessary to better serve our clients. Building partnerships with community agencies allows us to be out in the field and provide assistance to survivors in the moment they may need it most. We are delighted to hear that you value the efforts we have put toward an environment where everyone at La Casa can thrive.

I would never go back to work there!

I chose to leave before my passion for social services would get kill in this place. The environment is very toxic a lot of power dynamics being play by management. People in management are rude, disrespectful, racist etc. Most of the employees are scared of the ED. She is only nice to people when donors come to tour the program. They give minimum assistance to clients and it really depends on the worker most of them are burned out. Clients are being mistreated and discriminated against, they have most rules for clients than inmates probably have in jail. I wouldn't go back to work there even if they would pay millions of $$.

August 1, 2019
Thank you for providing us your feedback. We are deeply saddened by your experience at and perception of La Casa. At La Casa we take pride in having a diverse workforce and acknowledge the strength that is built when a team of individuals with different backgrounds and opinions come together for a common goal. All of our programs and requirements are informed by 40+ years of experience and designed to be both trauma-informed and victim-centered. We also foster and encourage an open door policy and welcome you to reach out to us so that you may share your concerns with us.

Great Work

The work at La Casa de las Madres is very rewarding and the staff is very knowledgeable. The agency is also distributed throughout different organizations (hospital, housing, shelter, etc.), so there's opportunities to learn the field from different perspectives.

August 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We encourage all our employees to connect with all our programs in order to develop an understanding of the full scope of services we provide our clients; we are happy to hear your work experience reflects that.

Freedom for Creativity

I love being able to create my menus from the donations we receive. It keeps me challenged and I can use my creative energy. I also really enjoy working with the clients and being able to help them through a difficult time.

Pros

Autonomy, working for a great cause

Cons

Pay is not enough for the Bay Area

August 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We value the experience, unique perspectives and creativity all our employees bring to La Casa. We appreciate your passion to help those who are going through a difficult time.

Jobs at La Casa de las Madres

See more jobs

A Great Non-Profit!

I am a current employee of La Casa de las Madres. My work here is not only fulfilling, but I get to work and collaborate with a great team of advocates who deeply care and are passionate about the mission. Management has an open door policy in which I can get the support I need any time. I plan on continuing my work with La Casa for many years and empowering survivors of domestic violence.

Pros

Collaborative work environment

August 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We encourage an open door policy and commit to creating a positive work environment to all employees; we are happy to hear that you experience reflects that.

Great place to work with inspiring colleagues

I have deeply enjoyed my work experience at La Casa and look forward to developing my career further at this organization. I am honored to work for an organization that seeks to end violence in my community, providing safety, refuge and non-judgmental support. My managers have been considerate, compassionate and invested in my professional development. I feel lucky to work at a place where I learn something new everyday, am challenged professionally, and most importantly, have the opportunity help victims and survivors of domestic violence explore options or access options that improve their safety and well-being, as well as the safety and well-being of their non-abusive family members.

August 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are very invested in our employee’s professional development whether it is to prepare them for advancement opportunities within La Casa or to fulfill their career goals outside of our organization. We appreciate your passion to help victims and survivors of domestic violence and we are happy to hear you’ve had a positive experience working for La Casa.

Great Services to Survivors, Supportive Management

From Volunteer to Employee (3.5 years) my experience with La Casa de las Madres has always been of great support from my supervisors. I've been given the opportunity to participate in in-house and outside training which has played a major role in my professional development. It’s great to work alongside such passionate individuals who give their all on a daily basis in support of La Casa’s clients and the growth of the organization.

Pros

Good benefits, generous time off, focus on professional development

August 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your commitment to supporting victims and survivors of domestic violence in transitioning from volunteer to employee.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La Casa de las Madres. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2