La Clinica Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor management
Clinic Manager (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAApril 6, 2018
Poor management skills from site and regional for Solano County company on a downhill spiral in the past 2 years.
No follow thru when problems arise and would blow staff off daily when need things taken care of . Management was very good at putting the blame on others for their lack of taking care of important business.
Pros
Loved all providers who worked hard for their patients
Cons
Lack of positive support from management
Excellent opportunities for patient services
Front Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sunland Park, NMMarch 12, 2018
I would open the clinic with clerical and medical staff arriving at 8:00am. Physicians and nurses work great together to provide patients with the best care possible. Providers are always warm and welcoming. My staff and I had the opportunity to provide front office support to patients and providers by greeting and checking in patients in a timely manner, verifying insurances, processing tasks such as referrals and prior authorizations. We also, made sure patients did not have to linger in the waiting room for check out, continuous steady flow was the goal. My team was divided into three: medical, dental, and school base clinic.
Pros
Quick paced and always busy.
Cons
Quick paced and always busy.
Cultural and laxed work environment
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 26, 2018
Although the work was rewarding, there was also a severe lack of advancement opportunities and La Clinica has slowly been heading in the wrong direction of what patients actually need vs. what they think the patients need.
Healthcare Market in General very challenging
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Great community service providing access to broad line of services and job opportunities Resource constrained with slow and delayed agility and responsiveness to competing marketplace.
Pros
Mission and community support
Cons
Security and Location Risk
Work Life Balance for a Good Cause
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 22, 2017
A vital part of our community serving low income, immigrant, and other marginalized communities. The pay is not great compared to other acute care organizations but this is not acute care and this mission needs to remain sustainable. You do not work graveyard or weekends here. Paid holidays off. A work culture that celebrates diversity and social justice. A great training ground for new graduates and long term opportunities for those who value work life balance over higher paid grueling Bay Area positions. Probably best for households on a dual income. Overall excellent place to work if you’re good at living within your means.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good management, honorable work, cultural diversity, ongoing training
Cons
Less than stellar pay
Helping others
Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wautoma, WIOctober 20, 2017
Enjoy helping patients in need, ability to performance tests, imaging and education. Involvement with process improvement and care coordination. Good team of caregivers.
Lack of trainied managerial staff, favoritism , discriminatory work environment, no respect for union protected employees
Provider (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAAugust 18, 2017
My opportunity to provide compassionate, high quality medical care to the often underserved while representing La Clinica was a Gift. One that must be received on a purely personal level between me and the community I served. I am a better, kinder, more focused and qualified professional because of it.

I was employed with LaClinica for well over a decade and despite my qualifications, excellent performance, generation of revenue (numbers and dollars were more important than "La Raza" in the latter years of employment), loyalty and mission statement personified, I was defamed amongst and by my peers and still I set standards for services. Throughout pay scale freezes lasting several years, remaining loyal to the mission. I was asked to train new employees with the same job description, hired at a next level pay grade in the required knowledge/skill base to meet rrquired standards. Deemed sub-competently qualified at a performance review for a job description/standards I created but still required to train new hires. Key projects were often assigned to newer employees of same title with less experience that sought my input to complete the task.

Frequent turnovers in site management, lack of managerial training, disconnected middle and upper management lead to low moral within a the team of individuals that exceeded all written expectations of job descriptions. A team that set the standards/protocals for performance, effiecncy and quality of patient care department wide.

So much more that could be said...

The joy I received in witnessing individuals reach
  more... maximum potential regarding self esteem, growth, achievement will never be reduced. Unquestionable.

La Clinica as a whole needs to appreciate and elevate all of the employees that are present each day. Promote from within not based on nepotism but merit, dedication, skill.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, favoritism, lack of respect for unioni
Good mission, but poor management
Bob Hope (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORJanuary 16, 2017
I enjoyed my time there, but I could see problems under the surface. The senior leadership was mostly friends or promoted through the ranks. They still treated the place as a 50 person mostly volunteer company. When I left it was pushing 400 people. They had no idea how to manage a company that large and it showed. They did not treat their employees well, unless you were friends with senior leadership or a doctor. Slow to compensate the lower rungs of workers, but still expecting above and beyond. I haven't seen a turn-over like that since I worked in a call-center. They will also fire you instead of laying you off to save money. (Oregon is an at-will state, so they do not need to give you are reason.)

So what was good? It was nice to work towards the betterment of my community. I love giving back to my neighbors, even if I was under compensated. Honestly that was worth more to me then the money. The gross mismanagement was what eventually lead to my leaving.
Pros
The lower level management was great, Lots of team building, Worked to help the poor and migrant workers, Medical Benefits start early than most places
Cons
Terrible compensation (start you at 80% of the average for your position), Poor senior leadership and direction from the top
Amazing patients, great team, solid mission.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Medford, OROctober 6, 2016
Overall, I love the clinic I'm in. Out of the 6 La Clinica's, I would put the one I'm in at the top in terms of my love of the patients and my great co-workers. That being said, the benefits are less that good, the compensation even worse and the structure for having the ability to advance in pay is in no way related to job performance, patient relationships, dependability, integrity or customer service. These are the things that should be important and these are the areas in which I believe I excel.
Pros
Incredible patients, great team of co-workers and a perfect schedule.
Cons
Terrible pay, mediocre (at best) benefits, increasing workload with no compensation.
Great PHC
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medford, OROctober 5, 2016
I enjoyed every minute I worked at La Clinica. The staff are exceptionally nice and thorough, and they provided healthcare to everyone in need. Exactly the kind of care I want to see other clinics providing.
Pros
Paid meetings, free lunches, promotional tier work, etc.
Cons
disorganized breaks, hefty workload as a dental assistant (if you can handle it)
Growth
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORSeptember 5, 2016
La Clinica is a good organization to work for, however, they have grown so much and need to hire more employees to keep the growth/FTE ratio at a better level.
Helps people with no insurance
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 8, 2016
I really like they help people with no insurance at reasonable cost.

First time as medical assistant to work with Latin people as co-workers. I never thought it was going to be so hard for me, I am a perfectionist it was hard for me to listed to my co-workers and supervisor never appreciate that skill.
Pros
closed to home
Cons
not enough employee parking lot
Staff at Casa del Sol, La Clinica have a calling to serve this community
Behavioral Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 18, 2015
I have worked at Casa del Sol, the mental health clinic of La Clinica de la Raza, for 16 years. Some of the best people I have met in my life are/were either clients or staff at La Clinica.
We serve the most endearing and grateful community.
Despite the many challenges of community mental health, I consider myself lucky to have been given the opportunity to work here. I am encouraged to use my talents, follow my passion and dreams and grow as a professional.
Yes, more money and less paperwork would be nice, but living a life with purpose, surrounded by a superb and genuine group of friends, and impacting people's lives through caring and respectful services, makes it all worthwhile.
Pros
Dedicated, friendly and professional staff, grateful clients
Cons
The challenges of community mental health
Excellent Agency to work for
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Medford, OregonAugust 12, 2015
I enjoy what I do. There is room for growth and creativity. I receive individual and group supervision that is good quality.
Pros
Freedom to be creative, incorporate new programs and ideas
easy and slow paced job
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
I would help patients with there therapy also vital new patients I would fill out paperwork and file it in the correct order
A friendly work environment filled with positive energy
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAMarch 21, 2015
The hours are reasonable, and management is willing to make minor adjustments to the schedule in order to suit personal needs. The coworkers are very friendly and personable, and veterans of the profession are very helpful in sharing their knowledge and answering any questions you may have.
La Clinica
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ORNovember 5, 2014
The training was horrible. Noone would help if asked, they said one job description and had you do things you were never trained on and not in job description.
Over worked and under paid
RDA (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 19, 2014
Overall worked at this clinic for almost 4 years and nothing changed? Management sucks they don't care about all the overload of patients you see? Its never enough? Too bad they only see the patients as a number in order to get a lump sum check!! Hardly no breaks? If you don't get it oh well?? We are always short staffed, workers call in sick often cause they are too tired from the day before? Or mad??No team work?? Revolving door for late patients?? No respect for appointment time cause at this clinic it doesn't matter cause your just a. Number and they need to get paid!! So who cares if we aren't able to take breaks ? Go to lunch late? Leave late?? Differently not management cause they leave around 3!!!!! Oh and Saturdays a must work!! If you have a family of your own, you can kiss your Sats goodbye!!
Pros
I worked at a all childrens clinic . The kids were awesome
Cons
No team work, under paid, patient overloads, work every Sat!!
Cliques and nonprofessionalism
RN (Former Employee) –  Southern OregonMay 8, 2014
Not a good place if you are a well-seasoned and intelligent professional. Management is not in tune with professional workers
and it is a factory-like work environment. Latinos are
cliquey and there is inappropriate behavior. Staff is does not work well as a team overall.
CEO espouses a philosophy that is not carried through.
The patients make the pain of working there tolerable.
provider (Former Employee) –  oakland, caMarch 30, 2014
Typical day at work: busy, dealing with frustrating systems, unable to provide the care I believe in and patients deserve
What I learned: the patients make the pain of working at LC tolerable.
Management: ineffective, lack motivational skills, do not care about their employees' professional growth, money hungry
Co-workers: mostly good folks who are overworked, underpaid, and angry at administration
Hardest part of the job: unable to provide quality care to my patients because of institutional systems that do not work, yet continue in existence because management is too rigid to change them
Most enjoyable part of the job: witnessing patients' doing their part in getting healthy despite the limitations in care
Pros
Patients do not have other places to go
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La Clinica. Our community is ready to answer.