LA Fitness
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

LA Fitness Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
I conducted fitness assesments and created tailor- made workout programs to help clients achieve fitness goal.
Good mix of functional fitness with traditional gym equipment. Lots of space for Olympic lifting too. Unless you’re here in the early morning or the evening, there are never too many people which is nice. There are classes offered in the morning, at noon and in the evening – good, varied range of different options.
This company does not take care of there employees and does not compensate people that make an impact working here. There is very low hourly pay with very long hours and they expect you to constantly produce for 5% (very low commission) which is unrealistic in high income areas. This is not a job for someone who needs job security and a decent salary. I performed as the top 3 sales reps and got promoted to what they call a personal trainer Director but it’s basically a low hourly rate sales job. If you don’t produce then you don’t make any money. So if you work here make sure you work at a good rated club and a new club in your district otherwise the company is gonna use you as much as they can until they find another body to replace you with. This company does not take care of there employees.
Pros
Work culture if you like to workout
Cons
Everything else
Its a revolving door here, you can be replaced in a heart beat.Great way to get career started but wouldn't recommend for someone who doesn't like sales pressure.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No job security
It is understood whomever is your mid level manager is that your work is your life. There are constant treats of either being demoted or fired. Which is strange because it leaves very little room for motivation. You will get burned out quickly and no longer enjoy this industry, regardless of pay because of the culture. Very toxic!
Pros
Working independently; benefits; pay sometimes (heavy commission base)
Cons
Overworked; no support; constant pressure; lack of work life balance
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
When you become management, say goodbye to your life. you will be working over time 6 days a week and it is difficult to even request time off. Very little training and upper level management hounds you on production.
Pros
You have the chance to make great friendships and good money.
Cons
no job security, toxic work environment
I worked here for only 2 weeks so I can’t really give much a review. However, from my experience, the operations manager was the reason I quit. And I believe why many other front desk receptionists quit after me as well.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
VERY low pay, management
We working for a big company it is so nice to see people from all over helping and striving together and not just for themselves. I love the enthusiasm.
At LA Fitness you need to be a self-starter. If you do a good job and work hard, you will get many clients. But if you don't train clients, you don't get paid. You are straight commission.
greet and welcome members when they enter the gym. Resolve members complaints in person or over the phone. Call members to update their account information.
Working here is lax. It's right in the downtown Silver Spring area. Lots of food places around. If you enjoy fitness and health and wellness, you'll like working here. However, the hours aren't ideal and the management isn't good either. Regardless, of what positions you apply to you'll have to be trained in working the phones. Making calls, answering calls, working with the guests billing information etc.
Great part time job. Good for entry level. Great for college students. I did not like the management because they didn't care much about the employee. They cared more about clear-ups
Enjoyed helping members & guests set & reach their personal goals and working in the health & fitness environment always kept things very busy and fun!
Pros
liked wearing a uniform
Cons
I have now worked in 3 different gyms. This is BY FAR the worst gym I have worked for. The personal training director kept telling me "We are gonna get you promoted, we are gonna get your promoted" but failed to tell me that you have to be with the company for a year as personal trainer to get promoted. He then lied to the PT manager and told her that he explained all of this to me in detail (which he did not) and told her he had been calling me nonstop trying to get a hold of me (he called me once). For months I worked 40+ hours a week for minimum wage thinking I was going to get promoted. On top of that they want their personal trainers to make sales even though it is not in the job description. They want you to do this because they have a high employee turnover rate in their sales department. When I gave my two weeks he called me and said "you don't have to come back no more". When asked if he was firing me he refused to say yes. So basically what he was doing was trying to get me to leave without paying me. I would never recommend anyone work for this company in the location I was at, or any location for that matter. There are a lot of other places you can be a personal trainer where the management will actually teach you how to better yourself instead of being greedy, money hungry, slimey salesmen/saleswomen. DO NOT WORK HERE
A day at work would normally start with an employee clocking in and making a minimum of 70 phone calls per day. Marketing 1-2 hours by yourself outside. Bringing in at least 15 people who were not members into the gym so they could tour it. Re-racking weights. Making sure gym was clean for when new members arrived it would look presentable.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
pay wasn’t right
I was a personal trainer for the first several years at LA Fitness. I loved training and enjoyed helping my clients. However, the lack of consistency in receiving new clients to keep a full schedule made it very difficult. The pay was also not enough to provide a comfortable living. As the Assistant Personal Training Director, the work interesting, but I was only in the role for a few months before leaving.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no work life balance
They pay is laughable and the fitness director won’t care about you they’ll only care themselves and their own pocket. I felt bad for my clients because what they paid for training isn’t worth what they received. All cookie cutter programs.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Pay. Management.
The team was very supportive and energetic, a lot of positivity in the work place. Had a great time working and learning about sales, and having to level up my sales experience.
Pros
Free membership with extra guest.
Cons
District manager wasn't being fair to certain employees
I enjoyed every part of working at LA Fitness when I did. I was able to improve the lifestyles of the participants of my class while interacting with individuals on many different levels.
No Hours, Poor management, unseen location, lack of Staff, an overall a sad place to work. with no benefits an little time for personal life with family etc
Pros
A job
Cons
No growth
This position can be very rewarding with its bonuses, and fun at the same time. Requires a lot of motivation to reach those bonuses. If/ when you do, you will be happy with the pay.
  1. Employee Reviews