LA Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 3,629 reviews matching the search See all 3,845 reviews
Wonderful environment to work in.
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 18, 2019
Co- workers were wonderful people. It was slow- paced, and an easy going job. Manager was very nice, and well put together. The fitness place was always clean. I was treated very well.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No time off when sick
love the members and emplyees
Cycle Instructor (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTFebruary 18, 2019
wish they gave raises... love what I do, but cant afford to stay here at my hourly rate. I teach 3-4 classes a week. love what I do. Love my regulars. Have been teaching here for over 8 years and I have a great following. Just isn't up to the standard pay that other clubs in Ct pay. So now Im looking to get back into the professional field.
Good fun place
Front Desk, Greeter, Administrative (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXFebruary 18, 2019
This was a good fun environment to work at as a teenager. It was a clean gym, good people, and the major perk was getting to use all the amenities for free.
Steady workplace
Ttaining manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 15, 2019
This job has most of the qualities of a successful business coming down to the level of great business, the essential potential of the existential Purim seems hardly destitute.
Pros
Lunch ins
Cons
Saftey walks
job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 15, 2019
the good thing about working in a gym is that your able to work out! the employees seemed to always wanted to work which is ok but don't push people didn't really train ver well.
Commission based and unreliable
Personal Training Director (Former Employee) –  Pearland, TXFebruary 15, 2019
They always say in a commission job, "you get out what you put into it". In this case you might put in a ton of effort but you aren't ever promised the pay that you expect. Also if you sign someone up, that commission is always in jeopardy of falling off your next paycheck. So you may be producing one day, but the next could be a few steps backwards. The stress isn't worth the salary.
It was a cool place to work at
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 14, 2019
I was able to make commission on the payments I called for collection. I looked forward to go into work. Members were very nice and positive. It was nice.
Pros
Free membership
Quiet workplace
SALES AND MARKETING (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLFebruary 14, 2019
A typical day at work in LA FITNESS was to come in at your assigned time and make fun calls. After hours of that we went marketing to local places, advertising the company.
Watch who you talk to
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 14, 2019
It was a great place to work at first. Then people start to show their true colors. If you are going to work here make sure you keep to yourself. Just come to work, do your job and go home.
Also, the manager will expect you to be there even when your state declares an emergency due to dangerous road/weather conditions, so make sure you live close.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no breaks, little communication between staff, hardly any hours, will work closing (5 p.m to 11 p.m) then opening the next day (5 a.m to 10 a.m)
Great place to learn and advance when you are young
Assistant General Manager/Weekend Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 14, 2019
Great place to work, no complaints but the room for growth was limited and I was ready to move to somewhere that I could hone my skills and use them for personal advancements
A great experience to set me in life
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZFebruary 13, 2019
This became a job where i learned to communicate with others to excel en this workplace. Through out the days I realized nothing will always be as it seems in any occasion.
Pros
Free membership.
Cons
Little hours
Worse gym you could ever work for
Personal Training Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 13, 2019
1. SPLIT SHIFTS -- you work 9a - 1p and 4p -8p, 6 days a week. You don't have a reasonable work-life balance. Truth is they'd like you to work every day.

2. PAY WEEK -- the work week is Sun - Sat, but payroll is set up for Tues - Mon. You get paid on the 10th & 25th. They base your pay on you working from the 1st - 15th and 16th - 31st. So, any OT you work during the actual work week may not be paid until the 2nd or 3rd paycheck. Ex., if you worked 92 hours during the previous 2 work weeks, you may only get 4 hours of OT (not 12) because of how payroll is split up.

3. LUNCH TIME -- you have a 3 hour lunch break. You are expected to work out during lunch and be available for daily conf. calls during your lunch break. If you don't live near the gym, you're stuck there.

4. VPs -- the VPs are unprofessional and encourage you to use any technique you can to get the sale. They use profane and vulgar language during meetings and in group chat forums. They micromanage you to make sure you're selling.

5. CONTRACTS -- the pressure is on you hard to sell high-priced personal training programs to seniors, single parents, students, etc. Your job is to make them feel bad about spending money on anything other than a 12-month personal training contract.

6. TURNOVER -- there is constant turnover among the sales team and personal trainers. The base pay is min wage and personal trainers only get $6 per 30-minute session. Master trainers earn a little more. Once you get on board, you realize how crazy things are.

7. ADVANCEMENT INTO MGMT. -- moving into management isn't
  more... about your leadership ability, how you deal with conflict, people-skills, etc. It's about how many training programs you sell per month and the value of those deals, THAT'S IT. In less than 90 days, you could be a Personal Training Director based solely on how many deals you close. It's really just moving up to a fancy title with a higher commission rate. You may not know a thing about managing people.  less
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Everything else...
free membership
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJFebruary 12, 2019
free membership, the most enjoyable part of the job was i was able to work out when i was on break. i was actually in the best shape of my life. everyone was very cool.
Great Experience
WEEKEND GENERAL MANAGER OF PERSONAL TRAINING (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 12, 2019
Mostly only care about numbers , great to get better at sales from all different sides. Phone follow ups, Appointment setting, Cold floor sets, and walk ins
Best time of my life
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orange, CTFebruary 11, 2019
An amazing health club with the best comrodery you can ask from a sales team that's not just your co workers but these individuals felt like family. The health club itself is incredible with all the benifets you could ask for to be in the best shape of your life!
Pros
Stablity, money, passion.
Very Poor place to work
Dept Head Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 11, 2019
They treat there staff very poorly. Pay is very low for the work you need to do. No Holidays off and Pay comes when they say. One day its on this date and the next is on another not consistent at all. If you want a job at L.A fitness Be Very careful.... Management does Not care at all.. Very Sad Being I did Like the Job...
Sales Driven Business
Personal Training Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAFebruary 10, 2019
The company only cares about sales. you will get promoted and demoted on a monthly basis based on your performance. the company has no loyalty and feels no obligation towards its employees. it will teach you how to become tough and stronger as an individual.
Job and not a career
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAFebruary 9, 2019
If you want to work for a company where you aren't compensated for the amount of work or your opinions are not valued, then LA Fitness is a great place to work. The commissions are cut by percentage each year. The Management are not mentors. The knowledge you gain on the ground level aren't valued or supported to make the work environment more efficient. They do not give you the tools for success. The most enjoyable part is that you can vent with the staff that also are going through the same sentiments. You do not have a break room, refrigerator or microwave. So you are forced to buy your own meals or keep your food in your car. The most enjoyable part is actually helping the members and making an impact on their lives.
Great place to start for personal training, not great for experienced trainers
Master Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJFebruary 8, 2019
after first becoming to trainer, La fitness is a great place to get experience since they give you clients. The pay is very low as a certified trainer and if you cant build up a good client list it is very hard to get a decent pay check.
Pros
give you your clients
Cons
low pay
Bad assistant manager with unfair methods
Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 8, 2019
I was never properly trained and was told I was not generating enough clients. The assistant manager went out of her way to make sure clients went to other sales counselors, and she even stole my very first sale. Just overall it didn't feel like I was welcome there and I heard bad things about this assistant manager when I had first began but it was worse than they said.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.

31K

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight