LA Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 3,410 reviews matching the search See all 3,615 reviews
Productive workplace environment with very high standards and a lot of pressure.
Personal Training Director (Current Employee) –  Rosemead, CAOctober 22, 2018
If you don’t have good interpersonal skills or struggle with having a confident sales personality, I don’t recommend this job. Also, if you like being paid well for the work ethic you put in, I wouldn’t recommend this job either. It is a very demanding workplace with low pay.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Pay and job culture/quotas
In the beginning it was cool, but towards the end it was different.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILOctober 22, 2018
The manager who hired me was great to work for, and the culture there was great, then everyone in our department except for the trainers left the company and the whole vibe was ruined. The district manager was not the best guy to work for, and came off rather condescending and arrogant.
Pros
Great vibe in the beginning...
Cons
Culture changed in the end. Management was terrible.
LA Fitness i one of my favorite jobs
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDOctober 22, 2018
Although problems would arise and never get fixed it was still a place that helped me grow and to keep pushing to reach what I wanted. My hours were crazy but i loved it.
Stressful environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 22, 2018
They did not all for much room for growth, and the pay wasn't enough for my cost of living. I needed to pursue a career change, but the pay was fair early on.
Pros
free gym
Cons
not enough room for growth
La fitness
Training Director (Current Employee) –  Woodhaven, MIOctober 20, 2018
Great management, enjoyable, long work days, a clear strategy to follow to be successful, great training, over all great experience with work. Just looking to further my opportunities financially.
Workplace
Personal Training Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 20, 2018
Horrible! I worked 80+ hours every week and wasn’t paid overtime. Almost every month we had a revised pay structure, which seemed as if the company was finding ways not to pay its employees. Extremely high turnover rate!
Productive and fun work environment
Front Desk Associate/Child Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 19, 2018
A typical day at work consist of many tasks that is fairly easy to complete. I learn a lot about individuals lives and preferences. The management are very knowledgeable and easy going but also very strenuous in getting tasks completed daily. The workplace culture at LA Fitness is extremely health and fitness based. The hardest part of the job is seeing occasional instances of people over exerting themselves and having to be tended by EMT's. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the faces of all the great people that come there to workout and get/stay in shape.
Pros
Free membership, environment, sauna
Cons
Dealing with theft occassionly
Very relaxed and informative environment
Salesman/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GAOctober 19, 2018
During my time at L.A. Fitness I helped several member with multiple physical needs. I had the freedom to create my own schedule, as well as create my own fitness plans for my clients. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Free Gym
Cons
Low walk-in rate
Tough Place
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILOctober 18, 2018
Tough place to work. They are not very friendly and don't seem to care about the employees or the clients. It was a very dissappointing experience working here.
La fitness is a scam
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 18, 2018
I worked as an OM at la fitness and it is a scam. Sales guys do whatever they can to make sales including lies, not canceling memberships, etc. Personal trainers tell lies to draw in customers and give them fake workouts. Most of the cpt doesnt even know what they are doing. The job is all about calling customers to pay up. Aint even a call center but acts like one. Horrible place to work for.
Cons
Everything listed above
Corporate Gym
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 18, 2018
This is the definition of a corporate gym. I did not enjoy the lies my training director told my clients just to get them in the door. No one in the right mind will pay $90/hr for a training session from such a corporate gym.
Pros
Meet new clients.
Cons
Terrible pay.
fun place to work, but too many hours
Personal Training Director (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTOctober 18, 2018
fun place to work aside from management and company policy, too many hours, management doesnt care about staff. Make you work for more hours for free, micromanaging, too many conference calls.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours, lack of care for staff
Fun and relaxing environment
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 17, 2018
Working at this job taught me how to work in a fast-paced and thrilling environment. I was also able to prioritize my health and wellness while at this job. The management did a wonderful job with making their employees' happy and safe.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Low income
Fun environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 17, 2018
La fitness is a great opporttunity to get intense sales training and experience with people. VP's use fear and manipulation to get the GM's to produce more. It leaves every sales person always feeling like they're a failure if they can't control the results. Many GM's get caught doing unethical things to meet their numbers.
Pros
Sales experience
Cons
Barely any work life balance
Temporary job
Personal Training Counselor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 17, 2018
Being a master trainer is the only position I’d recommend. Sales managers are constantly pressured and threatened. Upper management club visits usually consist of the vp sitting in the back doing absolutely nothing. Regional vps treat you as a number and expendable. The company doesn’t consider your work experience or credentials. It’s politics and favoritism.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Management, retention, abusive
All about the #'s here, you are not valued as a personal trainer by your PTD or higher ups
CERTIFIED PERSONAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Rowlett, TXOctober 16, 2018
LA Fitness is all about the numbers the PTD will make broken promises to the people getting talked into signing up and promised all these perks not in the contract just to get them to sign then sent to the personal trainers who then have to keep them happy when they are sent to you with a bad taste in there mouth already. Leaving your schedule open 6am-8pm keeps it where you cant work another job to make up for the poor pay but if you close your schedule for slow times 11-4 they get upset about you not having a "open" schedule
Pros
It is a foot in the door, get to meet and help great clients
Cons
no communication between management and trainers, you as well as your clients get the run around from your PTD, very little pay
This place has a variety activities for everyone.
Zumba, Boot Camp and Body Work Plus Abs Instructor (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 16, 2018
It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. For that reason, Fitness Instructors have the opportunity to help others to achieve this goal as well as taking care of themselves. However, the starting salary is too low.
Gym Fun Low PAY
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAOctober 16, 2018
Press Sales!! A lot of competition with lots of ales people with too few avenues management awollws to get sales. Sold corporate also but LA allows anyone to sell so you need to get to corporation before any other LA Fitness Salesperson does. limited!!
Pros
Free Gym
Cons
Not enough to sell.
Great
Personal trainer manager (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJOctober 15, 2018
I gained a lot of knowledge in sale communication and management working at La fitness. I would recommend anyone that wants to learn about personal training go to LA fitness you have the time of your life .
Good place to work in because of the surroundings
front (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJOctober 15, 2018
it was a good experience i learned a lot of things through it and how to handle working with other people and how to work with people and have a good attitude as well.
Pros
good people around
Cons
no break and not a good pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight