LA Fitness

LA Fitness Employee Reviews

United States5,356 reviews

Found 5,356 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,650 reviews

great workplace, great members

I conducted fitness assesments and created tailor- made workout programs to help clients achieve fitness goal.

Miserable work place with no training

No training whatsoever, just make cold calls all day to people who want to be left alone, go out for leads, insane turnover rate with terrible pay and terrible management. I’ve worked many jobs and this one is BY FAR the worst job i have ever had in my life.

LA Fitness insights

Based on 2,453 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Unprofessional and unlawful

LA fitness unprofessional in every way imaginable. They hire anyone for any position, they curse, etc. In the kids klub sometimes there will be up to 15 kids from only 6 months old to 13 years old with one employee watching them. Sometimes they even let the employees watch them without a background check. They work their employees an inhuman am amount and the pay is $10 or less no matter what your job is or how hard it is.

Long hours, terrible work life balance, and low pay

Beware to anyone applying. They will just throw you to the wolves with little training and expect you to make impossible sales. They also expect you to work long hours and produce insane results even if you are at a low volume store. Nearly impossible to reach your goals. Not to forget terrible work life balance because you only get one day off a week. The floor staff and everyone else at the gym were great; however, the VP (district manager) was a terrible micromanager. Stressful job that's not worth it especially with the low pay, and the VP breathing down your neck at every hour. If you are at a high volume store, you can make decent money. If you are at a low volume store like I was, it will be very difficult no matter how hard you try.

Pros

Cool club staff, free gym perks, easy to get in to get experience

Cons

Long hours, impossible goals, micro-managing boss, mediocre benefits

Low pay and lied about hours

During my interview they agreed for me to be getting 25 hours or more and work at the front desk. They put me in their Kids Klub and had me work 5-12 hours a week. I had no training for the Kids Klub and no rules were shown to me or followed. I had 18 kids at once and was the only staff in there. One person to watch 16 kids and two babies needs to be payed more than $12

Opens Doors but Closed them just as fast

This job is for the young. A 6 day work week is required for managers. Once you are promoted, you’re on your own and receive little support. The goals are unrealistic. However, the bottom line employees are wonderful. I’ve never met so many people I’ve loved.

Overworked & Underpaid

Speaking with members always made me smile. It was the best part of my day! However, Management is very unorganized and inconsiderate. They tend to ask employees to perform tasks outside of their job description. Expectations were WAY too high for compensation to be so low. Employees are overworked, underpaid and often denied of receiving a raise.

Pros

Free Gym Membership

Cons

Minimum Wage

Easy Job but is not worth the mental state it puts you in overtime.

The job itself is very easy. The annoying part is when you have other team members who don't do there part in enforcing the rules and then you have days where people just try and walk into the gym. The gym can be dirty and they expect everyone to clean up which I have no problem with cleaning up the paper towels from the floor but they will also ask you to clean the bathroom and check the trash, even as front desk staff not janitorial. There is also no form of affective communication. They also like to tell you information that isn't true and they will constantly feed you lies to make the job sound more promising. You dont need to improve to be promoted there just needs to be an open position - especially for sales.

Rewarding and sometimes stressful

You get commission based on the amount of clear-ups or renewals you manage to get, but the job can get a little overwhelming during peak hours. Members aren't always gonna be nice to you, but the team you work with will make or break you

Pros

Commission, Great team

Cons

No breaks, rude members

It was a paycheck

The people who sit up at the front desk and look at their cellphones all day make the same pay as the janitors. They want you to stay late to make sure everything is clean ,but then they complain if you stay late.

All your time

If you want to dedicate your life into one gym everyday expect maybe a saturday then this is the job for you. The managing is okay more so they just want your leads.

Pros

free membership

Cons

short breaks, long shifts, 6 days

Requires a lot of self motivation

This job requires you to be self driven in obtaining leads, making calls, following up with referrals and making sure members are satisfied with the gym and it’s service.

Foundational low pay workplace

If you are a new personal trainer this is a good place to start. You can learn a lot so you can start your own business. You will not make much money while working there but you will learn some skills that are priceless!

Stressful

Long hours s. Lot of politics . Low pay and Co workers were fun . Sales numbers were Demanding Lots of calling phone sales, terrible management. Upper managers were awful. Stressful company

Pros

Free gym

Cons

Short breaks

Very easy and a good summer job

Very laid back and fun to talk to members. You get a free gym membership which is a plus. It's a great part-time summer job to help gain experience with customer service and calling

Nice clients, bad corporation with no moral compass

Management only saw PT clients as dollar signs. No real concern for health and terrible pay. They took a major percentage of the trainers hourly rate. Barely had enough client subscriptions to allocate to the trainers.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Bad pay, no benefits

Awesome work place and a wonderful library.

I think that it's a good place for career opportunities, advantageous exist, if you work hard. The bad lots of demanding people who expect immediate attention.

Pros

Free lunch, parking and free gym membership.

Cons

To many people and to many different languages.

Great staff and management

Management would show up whenever but when they do show up, they are always willing to help, also willing to help over the phone anytime of the day, friendly overall people to work with and kind employees. Overall great experience, useful for college students or for kids going to school as well.

Save your time

Just enjoy your life and save your time. It isn’t worth it working here. Don’t fall for fast management “advancement”. The only reason you move so quickly up the ladder there is because the employee turnover rate is so high.

Don’t work at LA Fitness

Not enough money to be made at lower level jobs. Upper management (DVPs) constantly make things more difficult than they should be, and because of the way they measure sales variables (calls, leads, appointments) those who lie and cheat the system are the ones making actual progress.

Okay place to work if you enjoy selling training

Could be better. Work environment can be fun, depends entirely who you work with and who your direct manager is. Work life balance isn’t that great. Only 1.5 days off per week. There’s a good amount of unethical deals that are sold. Management makes promises they don’t keep. You really can impact someone’s life in a positive way, but that doesn’t always counter the cons of this job. I would consider this a last resort job.

Pros

Commission is decent, CAN be a fun place to work, free gym membership

Cons

Base pay a garbage, management style varies, “do whatever it takes” mentality leads to unethical selling, horrible work life balance, promises by management aren’t kept, oh did I mention the horrible work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at LA Fitness.
Powered byComparably

Compare LA Fitness with

• LA Fitness
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?