LA MADELEINE Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Terrible place to work
Cashier/line (Former Employee) –  Jersey Village, TXApril 19, 2018
a typical day of work includes hoping you will get help during rush hours. I'm not a slow worker but theres been some times where I had to run back and forth between cash registers during rush hours I learned to put on my happy face and fake it until you make it

managers act like your are doing great but reality they despise you
if you asked for a break they would get mad
as they were firing me they told an elaborate web of lies
still don't know why I was fired as of today
one of them needs to know how to let people be independent by not following you everywhere you go

hardest part was not getting any help during rush hours and closing

wouldn't recommend the Jersey Village location to anyone they treat you like animals and are terrible at training
Pros
50 % off
Cons
no breaks, untrustworthy managers, poor training, lack of advancemen, t no help customers have their say no matter what
Pastry girl
Pastry Chef, Busser (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2018
Very easy place to work at! Didn't mind working there was crossed trained in many different areas. Management was awesome very family feel. Didn't love it or hate it.
Pros
making pastries
Cons
low pay
Relaxing on some days, frustrating on thursdays and weekends
Busser & Server (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 7, 2018
A typical day consists of bussing tables, making sure guests receive their food accurately and quickly, and replenishing bread, coffee, tea, silverware, cups, and other necessities. Making sure bathrooms are clean and stocked every night, and many other duties.

A busser has the most work to do when closing, and often times you're scheduled by yourself, even when it gets busy. You're supposed to get out and finish closing by 10:30.

I've been having some slight trouble trying to get out on time and so usually I wouldn't finish closing until 11.
Based on one's luck and relationship with the coworkers one might get lucky enough to receive a small amount of help.

I've been stressed due to some life events and with not being able to receive fulltime - not to mention not getting a stable schedule in the first place, it's hard for me to cope.

The managers are ok, but I've been rudely compared to an elderly busser as means to "motivate me to do my job better".

Best part of the job is probably the decent food and desserts that are discounted.
Pros
50% off discounts
Cons
difficult to take breaks, unstable schedules, appears that bussers can never be full time, managers letting people in 10-30 minutes after closing is the worst, etc.
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2018
Very fun and unique place to work if you are working with the right people. I was always busy and was never bored here. Pay is also decent here. Would recommend.
Pros
fun and never boring
Cons
n/a
Very professional customer service.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2018
Positive work environment. Great customers. Leadership is very important when for La Madeleine. Fast paced. Lovely dine in setting. The food is amazing.
Simple, fast-paced, with great co-workers
Catering Specialist, Cashier, Bakery Operator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 25, 2018
Working for La Madeleine is easy, though if you can’t handle high-stress moments, I don’t recommend it. Communication skills and the ability to learn are required if you are to hope for any advancement.
Pros
50% for you, for your friends and family who come in, and any group of people who you dine in with on the same ticket
First job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2018
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours were obviously busy. Employees however had delicious discounts on menu items. Brand new employees would not receive much training.
stock, bus, serve, clean,.. repeat.
Server/Busser (Current Employee) –  Live Oak, TXFebruary 9, 2018
Stock, bus, serve, clean,.. repeat. Once you find a system in doing all this, you'll find it a lot easier. I've learned to be more time manageable and got some good customer experience. The management at my location were very helpful and always kept an open mind to my school schedule. The food here is tasty and the location is fairly new so it is very clean, especially when you work hard to keep it that way. The hardest part of the job is when some one calls in and we're short, so you have to pick up slack in some areas. Other than that this job can be fairly easy. The most enjoyable part in this job is the people that work here, we joke, and communicate to keep the environment lively throughout the work day.
Pros
good food, awesome staff/ management
Cons
short breaks
Great Food, challenging, meeting lots of people.
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXJanuary 31, 2018
Everyone is a delight to work with and so are the guests, although during rush hour, it becomes challenging to multitask at least 3 tasks at once. Lunches are wonderful and always great. I walked away with more knowledge than what I walked in with.
Fast-paced, demanding, small work place
Pastry Chef (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 8, 2017
My days were long, no breaks though finishing early let me go home early. I learned time-management.Management was good,the managers were kind and helpful most of the time though never listened to my complaints about co-workers taking and using pastry tools then not putting them back wasting time looking for all tools needed. The workplace culture was nice,everyone worked well together and got along very well. The hardest part was simply getting everything done fast and done well.Seeing people enjoy your product is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Free food and drinks
Cons
No breaks, no PTO, no benefits
Interesting
CASHIER/LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Broadway StOctober 12, 2017
There is always something to be done in the workplace. You're constantly busy, at least i was. Very fast paced job, especially during lunch. The food is great.
Great fast paced job
Bakery and To go associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 12, 2017
La Madeline is a very quick paced job with a lot of really nice people working there. I worked there when it opened so we were busy all the time. Sometimes I worked longer hours then I wanted to because it was so busy
Pros
decent pay
Cons
long hours no breaks
Once great brand dying with mismanagement
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 13, 2017
So much that's still great about the brand, but their inability to define culture with their managers is destroying their integrity.

They drown them in paperwork.

They cannot teach guest service.

Their base clientele is dying out and they have an inability create a culture to attract and keep a new clientele.
Pros
Established name
Cons
Mismanagement at DO level
management terrible
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 7, 2017
the management was terrible, hours ranged from 15 a week to 45 a week whenever they felt like it. i was late once for medical family reasons and got wrote up and my hours taken away from me. they're crashing and know it and can't afford to pay enough employees to even run the restaurant appropriately when it's busy. only reason i stayed for so long was the 10.50 an hour i was making for not doing much at all.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 17, 2017
Great fun days at work because it was a great French environment.
I learned how to properly store food. Management was always helpful. Workplace was enjoyable. The job was reasonable.
Good Crew
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 14, 2017
I have worked with an amazing crew that I would not trade the world for. They all know when it is time to play but also when it is time to get serious.
Pros
employee discount, referral program
Don't Work for this Company
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 28, 2017
Management was terrible, refused to work around a funeral, fired me because someone who said they'd cover my shift and promised in writing didn't come in. Wages are low, closing is awful, and some managers don't let you take home food that will be thrown away. The referral thing may seem nice but three months is longer than it sounds and I doubt you'll even make it that long.
Line associate
Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 22, 2017
- Restaurant culture is dependent on managers
- Best stores to work for are the ones with the most profits.
- Older stores need a lot of repairs
- Customer is always right, so even when you are right you take the hit on a survey.
Fun place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2017
Very fun place to work and clean environment. Enjoyed my management team and it was great. Friends were great there and fun environment. Dishwashing is great
Works around your schedule but doesn't make up for other flaws
CATERING SPECIALIST, Cashier, Pastry (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2017
I really enjoyed working there but because I have always loved the fast paced environment. There is no chance of moving up in the company. I always worked hard and learned all the positions but it seemed that no one else cared to improve the work place. My fiance works for the company as well but in a higher position than I had and he agrees that this company does not care for their workers. They seem to hire anyone as a manager.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay for a heavy work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA MADELEINE. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight