Lake Michigan College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
I enjoyed the students and it was a beautiful clean gym
Wellness Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Michigan, MIJuly 10, 2018
My typical day at Lake Michigan college was fun. I worked afternoon and evenings. I tracked the college students workouts, helped them with their programs and goals. The wellness center was a class room in the gym for the health classes offered. I preformed pre and post assessments on the. This consisted of cardio, strength, flexibility, measurements, weight, BMI and respiration. I was the only employee on the shift so I did all the coaching and cleaning. I really enjoyed this job. The problem was, they were making cuts in the budget, so the manager was told he could run the wellness center and not ever be there. So we didn't have an manager there I maybe talked to him once every couple weeks. The problem the other employees, which were two women didn't like me because I was the only trainer and I was in the bachelors program for exercise science. The cuts they were making, they were afraid they would loose their job so they played mean jokes on me and tried to get me in trouble . It was a different learning experience for me.
Pros
I worked out free. I enjoyed the students and I made friends.
Cons
Their wasn't good management so everyone did things different, There wasn't a good procedures in place for everyone to follow.l
Not bad
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 22, 2018
Have worked at worse places. Good place to work if you are attending college at the same time. A few small perks for being an employee and going to school.
Pros
Local
Cons
Equipment
I would recommend LMC for employment and study.
Adjunct Instructor French (Current Employee) –  Lake Michigan, MIJune 21, 2018
Relaxed and friendly work atmosphere with gym place and free baby sitting place, which is really beneficial for young single mothers. Easy access to supervisors, assistants, leaders, resources and work tools. Collaboration with easy people to work with.

As an adjunct instructor, involvement with management and workplace culture can be very limited because of the shortage of time. I have learned that preparation of courses helps to get ready and on time. It also buys the respect of students because of their questions that can be answered on the spot.

The culture at LMC is based on respect, friendly atmosphere and camaraderie. The hardest part of the job is to help students who do not want to succeed. The most enjoyable par to it is to find strategies to help student to understand, succeed and to counsel them on pursuing their education in their area of interest or passion.
Pros
Free gym and babysitting place
Cons
System thinking needs work
Tutor
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  South Haven, MIJune 5, 2018
- flexible hours, able to be a student and a tutor
- able to meet with other students on their schedule
- teachers willing to meet if needed
- always in need of more tutors for all subjects
- paperwork confusing for receiving pay for hours worked and students tutored (all depends on how the student pays for tuition)
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
paperwork
Very rewarding work with the Performing Arts Students
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 24, 2018
I enjoyed my teaching experience at Lake Michigan College very much! I had two different Directors during the 14 years that I taught in the Music Department. My first was exceptional, and my second was functional. Working with the students was very rewarding and brought me much joy as I watched them make huge progress during the school term and give their best performances at the end of the semesters.
Watch your back
Generalist (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 1, 2017
The family feeling of the college was lost many years ago. Employees with many years of seniority were being RIFed because they stood up for what they believed in. People were always on pins and needles, afraid to disagree with superiors for fear of being let go. The coldness of the staff was quite apparent to the students as well. It was nearly impossible to move up to a higher position.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of support from management
Good for students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMay 17, 2017
It would be a great part time job but the school is really hard to work with. The employers took forever to renew my schedule and only offered me a few hours of work. They advertised a need for math tutors but told me they had too many and only needed me to work a few hours.
Excellent environment.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMay 13, 2017
The key to a great experience for both students and instructors is engagement and participation. Discussion of current topics as well as assigned articles for student presentation to class seems to go well. Perhaps the most difficult concept to grasp is poor attendance for those students who fall behind others and eventually stop showing at all, either in class or by completing assignments via third party venues. The most enjoyable part of being an instructor is when you seee the sense of accomplishment on the faces of those students who have just completed a presentation to the class on a topic they have spent substantial time and effort to provide current and relevant information to others.
Pros
Classrooms are complete with current technology for students and instructors.
Cons
None.
Productive work place
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIFebruary 22, 2017
As a tutor I in charge of helping students understand their material. I also have to fill out separate forms for students that are receiving federal student aid. I tutored in Math, Chemistry, and Biology.
work study
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 2, 2017
This was a work-study job while i was in college.
However i did get to work for the dean.
I would set appointments, answer the phones and file contracts.
Pros
leaning alot
Cons
that its only a semester long
Quiet workspace in a good clean environment and
Confidential Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIOctober 5, 2016
A typical day at work was Friendly enjoyable and we all got along really good. I learned how to put paper documents into folders on the computer. Management was very helpful, by not just depending on us to get stuff done, management will already start on something, and we get to work we will pick where they left off. The hardest part of my job, was when work study had ended for me.
Pros
We were able to take are first break at any time.
Cons
help out with net working around the school.
Productive and Professional Enviornment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 21, 2016
I performed various office tasks daily such as answering phones, doing mailings, filing, proofreading, etc. Co-workers were very professional and friendly.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor OIS and CIS (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 6, 2016
The job of an adjunct instructor is both rewarding and flexible. The subjects and teaching assignments vary by semester. It is always fulfilling to see students reach their goals and be successful.
Pros
Part-time, working with students, excellent department head
Cons
Not being paid for many extra hours of prep and working with students outside of the classroom
Lmc
Instructor (Current Employee) –  South Haven, MIFebruary 27, 2016
The staff and the workers are all amazingly nice people. Work is very easy and laid back. Students love to learn and participate.
Pros
Good food, friendly staff
Cons
No advancements
I enjoy what I do
EMT-Basic Class Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MINovember 23, 2015
Working as a lab assistant at LMC is a great feeling. I enjoy the fact that I get to help individuals become EMT Basics. I have always loved helping people and what better way to do it then when they're at the their most vulnerable. To be able share experiences, teach the knowledge that I have, and watch students become strong and independent members of the ems community means the world to me.
Pros
It's only 2 semesters a year
Cons
it's not enough time
Educational facility with great benefits
Hope. (PATH)-PATH Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake, MIOctober 29, 2015
Excellent place to work, low keyed and laid back to some extent. No micro-management or unethical practices. Not all about the numbers but your personal growth and development within the company and in your personal life. Lots of variety in a day, from people coming into the office for assistance, trainings offered and new projects.
Pros
Educational benefits for myself and my family.
Great people to work with.
Clerical/Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 23, 2015
I worked directly under the Dean of the business department and although he is no longer with them, he was great. The whole staff was a pleasure to work with.
Overall Lake Michigan College is okay!
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 2, 2015
The best part of working there is the joy of helping the students. The management is dis-organized and there is no support for advancement.
Pros
Helping students
Work Study - Clerical
Assistant to Vice President of Administrative Svcs (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 29, 2014
I very much enjoyed my short work study position at LMC.
I kept busy and was able to help out in a few departments.
Pros
Great work study
Cons
Better for younger people needing the experience.
Working with a good stuffs improves production.
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  MIJuly 20, 2014
I work hard and communicate well with my co-workers.

I learn alot each day on how to deal with problems which tend to approach in different manners daily.

The hardest part of the job is when things get more busy and each of every client needs to be attended on time.

Payday tends to be the most enjoyable part of the job