Lakeshore Learning Materials Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good company
Midway workers (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 20, 2018
It’s been a real good move for me. The plant I worked out before this had cut my hours & ended up closing, so I joined lakeshore right after. Hours are good, some OT. Real good coworkers. Benefits are the best I’ve seen, they gave me a raise for doing good job.
Pros
People. Pay & real good benefits.
Cons
It’s a start up building so there’s a lot to figure out
One star for a reason
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 19, 2018
Same as a one star hotel, skip it and look elsewhere. Management, especially upper management is horrid. What kind of upper management comes in at 10 p.m., sits in there office with the lights out and watches second shift workers on camera? I mean really. If you don't trust your crew, then you need to reevaluate your crew. Time management and people skills are severely lacking. It takes forever to get your evaluation and even though you have an excellent evaluation, you won't get a pay bump despite what is told to you. Second shift is managed poorly. So very poorly. Long hours for no reason. People standing around wanting to work, but there is no direction. When there is direction, it is usually busy work. There is hardly ever eight hours worth of work, let alone ten. People there want to work, but the poor management makes it darn near impossible. It's starting to wear thin with people and that's why I am getting out. I'm sure others are sure to follow. You can't run a business by dictatorship or military mindset.
Pros
Not much
Stay away from here
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 19, 2018
Everyone starts off coming up lakeshore optimistic and feeling like it's a great place to work... then within the first month or two thinfs change and eyes are opened to what it's really like here at their Midway, KY D. C.

Upper management is awful- they like to constantly remind us that we are on camera and if we stop moving for 5 minutes, we are threatened with write ups. I should mention that this "climate controlled"w arehouse that they tell you about in the interview is only climate controlled in the winter. In the summer, it's regularly more comfortable outside than inside the building. Many people go home with great exhaustion on a regular basis so hopefully this helps you see why being asked to constantly be moving is ridiculous. Perhaps the operations manager and VP of eastern US distribution would make good prison guards with their security camera skills, but their interpersonal skills needed to maintain healy employees are lacking. We are in "peak" season now, which means we are busy supposedly. We have been told to work 10 shifts 5 days/ wk plus 8 hours on Saturdays. That would be fine except we often are not doing active production the entire time- we do more tidying up and busy work than our actual jobs and Saturday's are usually a waste of gas to go in for what ends up being 4 hours of mostly cleaning.

Pay is average for around here, benefits are decent, but at the end of the day is not worth it. I can't think of one person that I work with that isn't actively job searching
Benefits
Cons
Too many
Stay Away, Very Poor upper management at MIDWAY KY.
Mod Picker (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 17, 2018
Upper management requires first shift to stay over 2 hours for overtime. This carries them into 2nd shift but there is not enought equipment. So 2nd shift does non productive work for 2 hours and the net gain for production is only 2 hours. If first came in 2 hours early they could have net gain of 4 hours. So if you like useless overtime and saturday work for no reason this is your place. STAY AWAY FROM MIDWAY KY LAKESHORE
Pros
work is good
Cons
Useless overtime

Comment – July 18, 2018

Thank you for reaching out to provide feedback on your schedule. We are listening! Mario Savastano, our Sr. VP of Supply Chain, recently spent time in Midway to personally meet with the team and make schedule adjustments as necessary. If you have further concerns or suggestions, or if you just want to chat, I am only a phone call away. I love hearing from team members—even when their feedback is critical—because it helps us continue to improve and create a positive work environment for everyone. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Do not work here
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 17, 2018
Uncalled for overtime and Saturday work. No raises. Operations manager has no clue. Second shift is treated like children. Too much micro-managing. Too much favoritism. Too much sexism. Too much B.S. Simply put, stay away.
Pros
It's a job. That's pretty much it.
Cons
Oh my, too much to list. Simply stay away.

Comment – July 18, 2018

Thank you for dropping us a note. I’m sorry to hear your experience so far hasn’t been everything you’d hoped for. Our people are the heart of our success, and we want to make sure they are 100% satisfied in their work. While we are taking a very close look at our second shift schedules to ensure efficiency, I would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns in detail to see if we can get things moving in a positive direction for you. Please feel free to contact me directly at our headquarters. My door is always open. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Lakeshore corporate is the absolute worst!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 16, 2018
This is a review of the corporate company, retail is a different part of the company. You are completely over worked and under appreciated, managers are not trained on what your actual job is so they micromanage you until you feel suffocated. The last manager I had at Lakeshore had no understanding of what our department did or how it operated. She was a terrible leader and had been with the company over 25 years. She was not a manager, never trained on how to lead a team, speak to employees and remain transparent.
The company also had a very bad habit of understaffing departments and expecting a team of 7 to complete tasks made for 15. I love hard work, but being overworked and made to feel as if you are slacking because you take your 10 minute break will lead anyone to leave.
Pros
Profit bonus after 2 years
Cons
Everything about it

Comment – July 18, 2018

I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your concerns. We would never want an employee to feel overloaded or underappreciated, and I’m so sorry you felt this way during your time here. Having appropriate staffing and strong, talented leaders are essential for running any part of our business, and we will certainly consider your feedback as we stay close to these areas. I wish you the best of luck in the next chapter of your career. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Good workers there nice to work with
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 14, 2018
Management was cutthroat they did things that can’t be put on here upper management don’t even want to hear about it unreal. Never seen a place that the owners of a company would not even look into what they were told that was going on there money is all they care about there
Pros
Pays was good
Cons
Management was sorry

Comment – July 18, 2018

I’m sorry to hear things didn’t work out for you at our new distribution center. Please know that I visited Midway this week to personally interact with the team, and while I was disappointed to read your review, I was extremely impressed with the employees I interacted with while walking the floor. We have an exceptional team in Kentucky and I could not be more proud of the work they are producing. It is my number-one focus right now to ensure our people are satisfied and receiving all the support they need. Thank you for taking the time to provide your candid feedback, and I hope your next career opportunity is a beneficial one. –Mario Savastano, Sr. Vice President of Supply Chain

Terrible management..
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 30, 2018
Was employed with lakeshore about 6 months... literally was told: how great I was doing, I have a future... keep doing what I’m doing, everybody is saying nice things about you.. etc.. this is all within my first 3-4 months in... then month 6 comes in and they are letting me go WITHOUT any warning. Hysterical. I wasn’t even mad, more relieved because the management at this company is horrendous. I hated working there. Could never get a straight answer from anybody in the department. Training was just terrible...

The manager is just incompetent at keeping a team and it’s chemistry together, team full of backstabbers. Literally had a smile on my face as the HR person told me I was being let go, because my manager and CTO were to coward to do It themselves.

I see they are still looking to fill this position. Almost a year later... haha... go figure...
July 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We take our people’s experiences very seriously, and I wanted to respond personally to let you know how sorry I was to hear that your separation from Lakeshore came as a surprise. We work hard to run our IT department with 100% transparency, and we provide frequent feedback to let our people know how they’re doing. Although your critical review was a hard message to hear, we do appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts. We’re always looking for ways to improve, and we will certainly consider your input as we plan future trainings. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. – Robert Nordland, Chief Technology Officer at Lakeshore

Productive and fun work place with great pay
Hourly Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJune 11, 2018
Love all the help from all the employees! Everyone is treated equally. The employees are well taken care of their happiness comes first. Anything they may need is most often given.
Poor Management, especially on second shift
Warehouse Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 13, 2018
Started out awesome first 2 weeks, after that it became apparent everyone was on a learning curve in management. Second shift supervisors lack integrity and that became very uncomfortable to witness every shift.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Poor Management, no job security, favoritism
April 26, 2018

We’re so sorry to hear you were unhappy with your work experience, and we wish we’d been able to speak with you sooner about your concerns. We have an open-door policy for all of our employees—not just managers and supervisors—and we strongly urge our people to reach out to Human Resources whenever they have issues or feedback concerning any aspect of their jobs. The personal perspectives of our people are invaluable in helping us ensure the very best work place possible for everyone on the team. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We wish you all the best in the future.

Great People and Company!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 10, 2018
Lakeshore is the best company I have ever worked for. Great people that care a lot about the work and about each other. We work hard, but the reward is great.
Pros
Really good benefits, growth opportunities, stability, overtime pay, nice people
Cons
Not much to complain about - they've been great
Sinking ship
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 5, 2018
Started out loving the place! They make you believe that it is this great place when you first start out, but it is one of the worst places I have worked. Very very poor management. They have already fired 6 supervisors, the receiving manager, the HR manager, three receiving clerks, the maintenance manager, an IT tech, and at least 40 regular employees and it has only been open since august 28th 2017. If you like job security don't work here. If you like organization don't work here, if you DONT like favoritism don't work here. The only good thing I can say about the place is the pay is decent the hours are good and the vacation paid time off is good, but this is all to fool you and attract you to this sinking ship.
Pros
Benefits, working hours
Cons
Management, management, and management
April 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid opinion. I’m so sorry that our work environment didn’t meet your expectations, and I will admit that the opening of our new distribution center did come with its share of start-up kinks. However, with the recent addition of a new Human Resources Manager and the continued hard work of our ace team there in Midway, we feel we’ve made significant strides in the last few months to streamline procedures and ensure our employees’ success. Also, please know that employee retention and job satisfaction are two of our highest concerns, and we pride ourselves on keeping our turnover rate at an all-time low for several years now. Thank you again for your feedback. We listen closely to the input of all current and former employees, and we use the information we receive to continuously strive to improve. Best of luck to you. –Kelli Miller, Chief People Officer

Fun workplace
Research and Development (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 3, 2018
This was a fun yet professional workplace.
My department was collaborative and friendly.
Management was fair.
Coworkers were reliable.
Pay and benefits were fair.
Pros
There was no dress code
Cons
IT was a long commute from my home
Excellent company to work for
Contractor (Current Employee) –  AlabamaApril 2, 2018
Lakeshore Learning provided an opportunity for me to travel through my home state as well as network with people I otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to. The management team here is top notch, and I have become great friends with all of them. I would highly recommend getting in touch with this company and asking about employment.
Good Place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAMarch 27, 2018
good place to work! Wish some things would change. It was an overall good place to work. Made great friends and was able to advance. Wish that they took employees feelings into consideration a little bit more! Loved working in a fast paced enviroment
It’s a job!
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYMarch 22, 2018
I’ve been there a little while now. I enjoy it. Have some great coworkers. The hours are perfect for a work/home balance. It’s a new company so everyone is learning together. Sometimes that leads to some struggles. Fast paced for the most part. Picky about who they hire tho even tho we need help pretty bad. Postings for jobs within the company to move up. They interview within first, before looking outside the company. No air conditioning which will suck during the summer when their peak season comes around and we’re workig crazy overtime. You can talk to HR just about anytime about anything, but getting actions is hard. Sometimes feel like the employees ideas and opinions are pushed off to the side. Attendance policy sounds great when you’re hired in, but it truly needs tweeked to better fit each individual building. Been nice to know they pay by experience tho because a lot of us didn’t know and left out stuff that probably would of advanced our pay some. But all in all, I enjoy my job and most of the ppl there. My supervisor is decent.
Pros
Hours, coworkers, fast paced
Cons
Attendance policy, no air conditioning
Not your average retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYMarch 5, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Lakeshore Learning. The customers were always friendly and genuinely appreciated by help because it involved a mutual care of children. Lakeshore Learning provides teachers and parents with educational toys and resources for their children, so being knowledgeable about products was super fun, easy, and important. The staff valued the guests just as much as they valued us, and we all valued the products because of their benefits to children.
An Enjoyable Place To Work
Hourly Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 5, 2018
I started here as a part time associate and quickly advanced to part time supervisor. It is an enjoyable place to work that is rewarding and has a great culture.
Pros
Awesome Communication
Cons
Wish I were full time
Lakeshore Learning Materials
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 25, 2018
Terrible company to work for. I was let go two days after being told I had a future with the company. Very unprofessional management. Very high turn over.
Lakeshore not for everyone
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 21, 2018
If you work hard you can be successful at Lakeshore, but the demands and pay will always put limits on you.

They do have clicks, and depending on the department the demands may not be over the top.

If you don’t like hard work and excelling then this isn’t the place for you.
Pros
Vacation time, bonuses, health insurance
Cons
Overtime, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeshore Learning Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews by Location