Lakeshore Learning Materials Employee Reviews

Love this place!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAMay 29, 2019
Lakeshore is such a unique place filled with the most talented employees. I find myself every day surrounded by peers who give 110%. The high quality product is backed by top-notch customer service. Plus, the efforts put into providing employees with training, development/ progression, flexibility, and other perks has me beyond grateful to work here.
Not a family company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYMay 2, 2019
Worked at the midway location. It's great if you work first shift. Second shift gets treated like second rate citizens. First shift always gets parties, food, gets to get off early because second shift did all the work and got no credit. Always slow, doing work for orders that aren't supposed to be shipped out for another couple of days. The orders come in slow so at least it's a relaxed pace.
A lot of people working don't actually do their job, but get praised and get promotions anyway. It's a good job for lazy people. If you don't want to be challenged in a job it's perfect. However there's no room for growth.
They claim to be a family company but really they don't actually care about you. All you are is a number to them.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
No room for growth
May 9, 2019

Thank you for sharing your perspective on our distribution center in Midway. Because we believe that every individual on our team plays a crucial role in our success, I was surprised and disheartened to hear your comparison of the first and second shifts. We pride ourselves on providing incentives to all employees based on performance—no matter which shift they’re working. We’ve also had a handful of promotions come out of the second shift team, so I’m sorry if the growth potential for all employees didn’t seem clear to you. Also, I hope you were made aware that we do offer voluntary time off during slow periods, allowing team members to choose the best option for themselves. I’m sorry you weren’t able to take advantage of some of these opportunities during your time with us and that we didn’t meet your expectations overall. I do wish you all the best wherever the future might take you. –Mario Savastano, Sr. Vice President of Supply Chain

Fast paced, but very rewarding!
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 24, 2019
I've worked at Lakeshore's corporate office for over a year now and I absolutely love it! I've never worked harder in my life, but it is so rewarding! I work with the best people, and quickly assimilated into our culture. The training was great, and the continuous development has been even better! My management has done an excellent job in investing in me, and helping to make me a well rounded employee. I'm very grateful that Lakeshore found me, and plan to have a long career here!
Pros
Good management, professional development classes offered during work hours, company kitchen on-site, flexible seating, company gym is coming
May 9, 2019

We couldn’t be more thrilled to hear that your first year with Lakeshore has been a five-star experience! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we look forward to many great years ahead!

management is horrible
Buyer/Product Merchandiser, Retail Stores (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 21, 2019
family run company with horrible management style. yelling at employees, slept with employees, you are either in or out and if you are out then your job is at risk.
May 9, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have read over your review multiple times, and—while this kind of feedback is extremely uncommon—I want you to know that we take comments like yours very seriously. If this was your experience, I genuinely wish we’d had the opportunity to make things right while you were still here. I understand that you have moved on in your career, and I wish you every success in the future. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

stress free enviroment
Recieving Associate (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 15, 2019
lots of heavy lifting such as 4-gallon boxes of glue, and paint. All of the associates are very helpful and get along with each other no matter who you are.
Pros
helpful crew
Cons
very heavy lifting, pushing, and pulling.
Ok for pocket change
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 9, 2019
nice coworkers but I pretty much had to stalk customers around the store to convince them to buy stuff. And you're expected to have customers buy the entire store before they leave
April 12, 2019

Thank you for dropping us a note. Our goal for our store associates is actually pretty straightforward—ensuring our customers receive the best possible service and support while they’re visiting our stores. Our extremely knowledgeable store associates do an outstanding job of letting our customers know that they’re there to help, and they work very hard to give our guests an enjoyable shopping experience—whether our customers are teachers shopping for their entire classroom or parents looking for one special gift for their child. We’re sorry this job wasn’t a great fit for you, and we wish you the best of luck in finding a position that better suits you.

Great team
Assistant Store Manager / Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2019
The current leader in the store is amazing. She really gets how to motivate and keep a team running. Retail is all about who you work with!! This was a fun company to work for.
March 19, 2019

Your post absolutely made my day! I love seeing how the leadership team at our Phoenix store works together to create an environment that is fun and inspiring for everyone. Kudos to the entire team for the energy and enthusiasm they bring to the job. —Tina Murphy, Director of Retail Human Resources

poor work environment
horrible work hours
poor workplace culture
disrespectful treatment from management
unprofessional leadership
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
horrible work environment high turnover rate unprofessional
March 14, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. At Lakeshore, we pride ourselves on the fact that our warehousing division has some of the most loyal and tenured employees in our company. We’re sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one and that we didn’t get a chance to discuss your concerns while you were still here. If you have any more specifics that you’d like to share with us, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re always on the lookout for new insights and perspectives that can help us in our continuous effort to improve.

Fast Pace High Energy
Merchandiser/Product Developer (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 28, 2019
In the merchandising department there is a constant influx of new product to review and catalog. Much of the new product needs to be tested, sometimes at off site facilities. Several catalogs are prepared throughout the year so this is a very fast pace environment where quick thinking and decision making is key to stay on top of the business.
Benefits
Cons
Overtime during the summer
Ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILFebruary 13, 2019
This was my third job and it was a fun place to work at the pay was low but the environment was good and I loved working with the kids on the weekend.
Fun environment and quick paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXFebruary 1, 2019
I begin as a seasonal associate but got promoted as a regular associate. Working at lakeshore it’s really fun and you always have something to do , quick-paced.
Pros
Good Discounts, good job for someone that wants extra money
Cons
Short breaks, not a job for a living
Unique work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 29, 2019
On a store level the atmosphere was fun and fast paced. Coming from a corporate level though the atmosphere was stifling and oppressive. There was no recourse for abusive behavior from upper management making people want to leave the company. Due to this atmosphere they had a very hard time keeping store management
Pros
Slower customer paced activity with time to work on the store.
Cons
Abusive upper management
February 26, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Since this is the first time I’ve received feedback like this, I truly wish I’d had the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your concerns before you left. We take employee feedback very seriously, and I would have certainly wanted to know more about your situation in order to help resolve any problems you may have encountered. While I’m sorry we weren’t able to connect during your time here, I send you my best wishes on your next career opportunity. —Tina Murphy, Director of Retail Human Resources

High pace however, opportunities for growth are scarce
Manager (Current Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 12, 2018
High place environment and high expectations however, expectations aren't always enforced or are enforced loosely. Management structure does not communicate well within management causing mis-information to subordinates.
Pros
Safety Incentives, Profit Bonus
Cons
Insurance premiums keep increasing, management
December 19, 2018

Thank you for your post. We place a high value on the feedback of our team members, and it would be extremely helpful to know a little more about your situation. Please know that my door is always open, and I encourage you to reach out to me directly so we can talk through your specific concerns. This would give me the opportunity to help clear up any miscommunications or identify areas where improvements may be needed. Thanks again for taking the time to share your review, and I hope to hear from you soon. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Great place to work at
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 17, 2018
Job is great ,fun people you recieve what you put into it. Retail can be stressfull. Also, company very customer based so it frowns on any complaints. Enjoyed my time at my location.
Pros
Fun environment, sick time, flex hours
Cons
It is retail.
Did not have opportunity to grow
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Carson, CANovember 1, 2018
In order for a person to move up and promote you have to be good friends to a supervisor. Very political place to work for. Unfair when giving out perks for employees.
Cons
No bonuses, and no way you would promote, political place.
November 9, 2018

Thank you for sharing feedback about your time working at our on-site preschool. We do our best to create a fair and transparent environment that encourages open communication, so we’re sorry you didn’t feel comfortable sharing your concerns or expressing your interest in professional growth while you were here. We also strive for 100% employee satisfaction—hoping that all of our team members will feel challenged, engaged and rewarded in their work—and I apologize if we didn’t meet all of your expectations in this regard. Thank you again for your post. I wish you the best of luck in finding a position that’s a better match for you. –Teresa Turgeon, Director of Preschool

Fun and keeps you busy.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAOctober 30, 2018
Great customer service skills. Fast learner. Great listening and communication skills. Loved learning new things and experiencing new training opportunities.
Pros
Great employees and room to grow and move up in the company
Cons
Working when your sick. Short staffed.
Stressful and degrading if you don't belong.
Part Time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNOctober 16, 2018
I was the only Male and the youngest member on the team and I was almost never respected. The blame for other people's mistakes was put on me. If you are not a female teacher or interest in teaching it will not suit you.
Cons
Bad scedualing and work enviornment
October 26, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I was a bit surprised by your post because Lakeshore is proud to be an extremely diverse company—not just in our retail stores, but across our entire business. Rather than focusing on our differences, we prefer to pay attention to our team members’ talents, skills and contributions. I know you were only with us for a short time, and I’m sorry things didn’t work out for the long run. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, and I wish you the best of luck wherever the future takes you. –Tina Murphy, Director of Retail Human Resources

Decent place to work
Freight Returns/Post-Pick QC (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 4, 2018
There are a great variety of jobs one can perform while working at Lakeshore Learning Materials. Personal experiences may or may not vary greatly depending on which department you chose to work.
Run away
Administrative Assistant/Expensables (Former Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 30, 2018
Although they seem like a promising company, H.R and management only look out for themselves and their favorites. They do not train properly and expect you to be a total robot. If you are lucky enough for your department to be well staffed, you might have a chance. Make sure you cover your own back
Cons
Bad management
October 3, 2018

We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. We would hope that all of our employees would find their managers and the Human Resources team to be helpful resources. It’s our job in HR to ensure our team members feel satisfied in their work. And if anyone’s expectations aren’t being met, we’re here to help employees and their managers identify what isn’t working and find solutions together. If we failed you in that regard, we sincerely apologize. Good luck as you head off into your future, and we hope you are able to find a rewarding position that is a better fit for you.

Fast paced, hard working team very customer service oriented
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PASeptember 4, 2018
Lakeshore Learning is a retail chain store that specializes in teacher resources and educational toys for growing minds. In a typical day at Lakeshore we are receiving shipments and organizing shelves, taking care of customer needs by suggesting items that may be in line with their needs. The company reaches out the community by doing outreach events at schools and libraries and has weekly "Crafts for Kids" events that are free for the community. We work with a small close knit team at our King of Prussia store, so the attitude was there is no job that is too big or too small for each of our team members. It is a positive environment, sometimes very physically demanding, it was a pleasure to work for this team, however, I am ready to work somewhere where I can add value to the team more consistently as far as the schedule is concerned, and have a career that is a bit less physically demanding.
Pros
Great team of people, snacks in the breakroom.
Cons
Schedule is not always consistent depending on season, physically demanding.
September 10, 2018

Thank you for the kind words! I’m always happy to hear from our store associates, who do such an amazing job supporting our retail customers. It’s great to know that the leadership team in King of Prussia has created such a positive work environment there. I understand your need for more consistent hours, and I encourage you to discuss this with your store manager or contact me directly for assistance. We would hate to see you go and would love the opportunity to come up with a plan that will work better for you. –Tina Murphy, Director of Retail Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeshore Learning Materials. Our community is ready to answer.