Lakeshore Learning Materials Employee Reviews

Stressful and degrading if you don't belong.
Part Time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNOctober 16, 2018
I was the only Male and the youngest member on the team and I was almost never respected. The blame for other people's mistakes was put on me. If you are not a female teacher or interest in teaching it will not suit you.
Cons
Bad scedualing and work enviornment
Run away
Administrative Assistant/Expensables (Former Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 30, 2018
Although they seem like a promising company, H.R and management only look out for themselves and their favorites. They do not train properly and expect you to be a total robot. If you are lucky enough for your department to be well staffed, you might have a chance. Make sure you cover your own back
Cons
Bad management
October 3, 2018

We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. We would hope that all of our employees would find their managers and the Human Resources team to be helpful resources. It’s our job in HR to ensure our team members feel satisfied in their work. And if anyone’s expectations aren’t being met, we’re here to help employees and their managers identify what isn’t working and find solutions together. If we failed you in that regard, we sincerely apologize. Good luck as you head off into your future, and we hope you are able to find a rewarding position that is a better fit for you.

Fast paced, hard working team very customer service oriented
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PASeptember 4, 2018
Lakeshore Learning is a retail chain store that specializes in teacher resources and educational toys for growing minds. In a typical day at Lakeshore we are receiving shipments and organizing shelves, taking care of customer needs by suggesting items that may be in line with their needs. The company reaches out the community by doing outreach events at schools and libraries and has weekly "Crafts for Kids" events that are free for the community. We work with a small close knit team at our King of Prussia store, so the attitude was there is no job that is too big or too small for each of our team members. It is a positive environment, sometimes very physically demanding, it was a pleasure to work for this team, however, I am ready to work somewhere where I can add value to the team more consistently as far as the schedule is concerned, and have a career that is a bit less physically demanding.
Pros
Great team of people, snacks in the breakroom.
Cons
Schedule is not always consistent depending on season, physically demanding.
September 10, 2018

Thank you for the kind words! I’m always happy to hear from our store associates, who do such an amazing job supporting our retail customers. It’s great to know that the leadership team in King of Prussia has created such a positive work environment there. I understand your need for more consistent hours, and I encourage you to discuss this with your store manager or contact me directly for assistance. We would hate to see you go and would love the opportunity to come up with a plan that will work better for you. –Tina Murphy, Director of Retail Human Resources

Great Management
Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYAugust 29, 2018
Ive worked at Lakeshore since they've opened their doors. Ive worked both second and first shift and can honestly say management is phenomenal. Upper management is personable and understanding. They are efficient at making sure everyone is focused and goal oriented, all while making sure employees are comfortable and satisified with the work environment. They communicate weekly goals and expectations very well and fairly. The people are extremely friendly and make you feel like a part of a team. Its an excellent place to work at and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Pros
Management, people, environment
Cons
Long peak
Great Opportunity to Learn and Grow
Sales (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 27, 2018
Since Lakeshore is family owned, it feels like a small company even though you are working for a huge leader in the education world. The people in charge know my name, and that makes me feel valued. There are fun employee appreciation events like a Halloween party during the workday and “Summer Surprise” where you receive gifts and yummy treats (just to name a few), and they make a big deal out of your Lakeshore anniversary each year.

I love that Lakeshore likes to promote from from within. I’m currently in Sales but have also worked in Marketing and Events. There’s room to grow and try new things when the time is right. They only hire the best, so you’re working with super smart, dedicated and capable people. There’s a ton of experience at Lakeshore too - two people in my department have each been with the company for over 25 years (and that’s true for a lot of the departments). I also love that you can wear whatever you want to work. Lakeshore is more concerned that you work hard and do a good job, not whether you wear yoga clothes every day.

Lakeshore does have high expectations. Be prepared to work hard. If you are capable and take the initiative, the opportunities are endless.
Cons
Because they expect a lot out of their employees, you’ll have to set good boundaries to maintain the work/life balance that’s right for you.
Great full-time job for a single person with few commitments and responsibilities
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAAugust 25, 2018
I loved working at Lakeshore full-time because of the work atmosphere and the companies goal to spread knowledge and the power of education. Being a supervisor was stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact and learn about the teachers in my surrounding area. If you are interested in one day becoming a teacher, I would recommend working here first to get a glimpse at the time, money, and energy these teachers put into their jobs. It is nearly impossible to find covers for shifts if there is an emergency or if you get bronchitis so I would not recommend this position if you are a parent/ guardian, have other commitments that may interfere, or have a weak immune system.
Pros
atmosphere, enthusiastic co-workers, enthusiastic customers
Cons
shift coverage, stressful to manage, no breakroom.
Turn around, and run.
Mod Pick (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYAugust 8, 2018
Where could I begin with this awful place? Let's start with the management has no idea what they are doing. The main manager on day shift doesn't trust night shift so bad that he stays in his office with the lights turned off, and watches the camera. He also does it at home. There isn't enough work to demand 10 hour shift let alone having 8 hour shifts. I got hurt, and nothing was done about it. The vacation system is a lie. The referall bonus is also a lie. All this place has done is lie to my face. I have tried so hard to be positive about it, but, that place just make it impossible. It has made me so depressed. The placed is filled with anxious higher ups that don't know how to talk to their employees. And in general treat you like a pile of trash. Oh, and the peak season is going on right now, and there still isn't enough work to justify working 10 hour shifts. Also taking our Saturdays away. On top of not allowing people to take vacation days. No one signed up for a bunch of lies. Just don't even go there. I intend to be gone soon myself, and many are to follow.
Pros
There are none.
Cons
Everything!
Company with a lot of growth
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 6, 2018
As a maintenance mechanic at lakeshore challenges are always introduced, but with superiors who understand the task will support you and guide you with the best tutelage and help you succced...
Pros
Team work culture
Great Place to Work At
3D Environment Artist (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 29, 2018
The work environment alone is enough to solidify a 5 star for this place. Everyone is incredibly friendly, everyone wishes each other a good morning or smiles at you in the hallways. Not only have I developed a comfortability with the programs that were mentioned in the job posting I applied to, but I was given the opportunity to learn more programs and am incredibly grateful for the opportunity. On top of that, their added benefits of childcare on site(for full-time employees) and discounts on product are a plus.
Pros
Healthy work environment, longer lunch breaks, pay
Cons
Short contracts
August 2, 2018

Thank you for the nice review and—most importantly—thank you for joining our team during a very busy time of the year. We couldn’t do it without you! These types of opportunities are available often, so please stay in touch with your Lakeshore recruiter so we can welcome you back again in the future. Thanks again for your contribution! –Amy Battle, Recruiting Manager

Great Company!
Hourly Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 25, 2018
The company has been in business for many years. The Midway location is new and there are some things to work out, but working for this company seems worth the growing pains. Employees and upper management from the corporate office have been here many times to work and and are very supportive. The pay and benefits are great. It's hard work, but that's to be expected from a busy, successful company.
Pros
Good people, Great pay and benefits
Cons
New facility - things to still work out
August 2, 2018

Hello, Midway team member! You are 100% right. Opening a new building is a lot of hard work and also a ton of fun. We couldn’t be more impressed with the amazing team there in Midway, and we are so grateful for everything you do! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. –Human Resources

Great company, Great culture
Sales (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 25, 2018
The best part of Lakeshore is the product and the people. Durning my time at Lakeshore I have seen the company experience tremendous growth, while still maintaining a focus on culture, teamwork, and the customer. I work with a group of people that constantly go above and beyond for the customer and for each other.
Pros
Culture, great team work, supportive management that is willing to listen
Cons
Outdated technology
August 2, 2018

We couldn’t agree more that Lakeshore is all about the people. We have an amazing team that inspires us daily! We’re thrilled to hear that your leadership team is listening, and we want you to know that we are, too. Updating our technology continues to be at the top of our priority list. We feel we are making strides every day, and we appreciate your feedback and patience as we continue to grow in this area. Thank you so much for the positive review—and for everything you do to make us who we are. –Human Resources

Good company
Midway workers (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 20, 2018
It’s been a real good move for me. The plant I worked out before this had cut my hours & ended up closing, so I joined lakeshore right after. Hours are good, some OT. Real good coworkers. Benefits are the best I’ve seen, they gave me a raise for doing good job.
Pros
People. Pay & real good benefits.
Cons
It’s a start up building so there’s a lot to figure out
August 2, 2018

Welcome to the team! We’re so glad you’ve found a home with us and that you enjoy working with our people as much as we do. They truly are a talented and hardworking group! We work hard to offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, so we’re extremely happy to hear that we’re meeting your expectations in this area. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and please keep the feedback coming as we continue to perfect our craft there in Midway. –Human Resources

One star for a reason
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 19, 2018
Same as a one star hotel, skip it and look elsewhere. Management, especially upper management is horrid. What kind of upper management comes in at 10 p.m., sits in there office with the lights out and watches second shift workers on camera? I mean really. If you don't trust your crew, then you need to reevaluate your crew. Time management and people skills are severely lacking. It takes forever to get your evaluation and even though you have an excellent evaluation, you won't get a pay bump despite what is told to you. Second shift is managed poorly. So very poorly. Long hours for no reason. People standing around wanting to work, but there is no direction. When there is direction, it is usually busy work. There is hardly ever eight hours worth of work, let alone ten. People there want to work, but the poor management makes it darn near impossible. It's starting to wear thin with people and that's why I am getting out. I'm sure others are sure to follow. You can't run a business by dictatorship or military mindset.
Pros
Not much
Stay away from here
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 19, 2018
Everyone starts off coming up lakeshore optimistic and feeling like it's a great place to work... then within the first month or two thinfs change and eyes are opened to what it's really like here at their Midway, KY D. C.

Upper management is awful- they like to constantly remind us that we are on camera and if we stop moving for 5 minutes, we are threatened with write ups. I should mention that this "climate controlled"w arehouse that they tell you about in the interview is only climate controlled in the winter. In the summer, it's regularly more comfortable outside than inside the building. Many people go home with great exhaustion on a regular basis so hopefully this helps you see why being asked to constantly be moving is ridiculous. Perhaps the operations manager and VP of eastern US distribution would make good prison guards with their security camera skills, but their interpersonal skills needed to maintain healy employees are lacking. We are in "peak" season now, which means we are busy supposedly. We have been told to work 10 shifts 5 days/ wk plus 8 hours on Saturdays. That would be fine except we often are not doing active production the entire time- we do more tidying up and busy work than our actual jobs and Saturday's are usually a waste of gas to go in for what ends up being 4 hours of mostly cleaning.

Pay is average for around here, benefits are decent, but at the end of the day is not worth it. I can't think of one person that I work with that isn't actively job searching
Benefits
Cons
Too many
Stay Away, Very Poor upper management at MIDWAY KY.
Mod Picker (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 17, 2018
Upper management requires first shift to stay over 2 hours for overtime. This carries them into 2nd shift but there is not enought equipment. So 2nd shift does non productive work for 2 hours and the net gain for production is only 2 hours. If first came in 2 hours early they could have net gain of 4 hours. So if you like useless overtime and saturday work for no reason this is your place. STAY AWAY FROM MIDWAY KY LAKESHORE
Pros
work is good
Cons
Useless overtime

Comment – July 18, 2018

Thank you for reaching out to provide feedback on your schedule. We are listening! Mario Savastano, our Sr. VP of Supply Chain, recently spent time in Midway to personally meet with the team and make schedule adjustments as necessary. If you have further concerns or suggestions, or if you just want to chat, I am only a phone call away. I love hearing from team members—even when their feedback is critical—because it helps us continue to improve and create a positive work environment for everyone. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Do not work here
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 17, 2018
Uncalled for overtime and Saturday work. No raises. Operations manager has no clue. Second shift is treated like children. Too much micro-managing. Too much favoritism. Too much sexism. Too much B.S. Simply put, stay away.
Pros
It's a job. That's pretty much it.
Cons
Oh my, too much to list. Simply stay away.

Comment – July 18, 2018

Thank you for dropping us a note. I’m sorry to hear your experience so far hasn’t been everything you’d hoped for. Our people are the heart of our success, and we want to make sure they are 100% satisfied in their work. While we are taking a very close look at our second shift schedules to ensure efficiency, I would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns in detail to see if we can get things moving in a positive direction for you. Please feel free to contact me directly at our headquarters. My door is always open. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Lakeshore corporate is the absolute worst!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 16, 2018
This is a review of the corporate company, retail is a different part of the company. You are completely over worked and under appreciated, managers are not trained on what your actual job is so they micromanage you until you feel suffocated. The last manager I had at Lakeshore had no understanding of what our department did or how it operated. She was a terrible leader and had been with the company over 25 years. She was not a manager, never trained on how to lead a team, speak to employees and remain transparent.
The company also had a very bad habit of understaffing departments and expecting a team of 7 to complete tasks made for 15. I love hard work, but being overworked and made to feel as if you are slacking because you take your 10 minute break will lead anyone to leave.
Pros
Profit bonus after 2 years
Cons
Everything about it

Comment – July 18, 2018

I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your concerns. We would never want an employee to feel overloaded or underappreciated, and I’m so sorry you felt this way during your time here. Having appropriate staffing and strong, talented leaders are essential for running any part of our business, and we will certainly consider your feedback as we stay close to these areas. I wish you the best of luck in the next chapter of your career. –Star Williams, Director of Human Resources

Good workers there nice to work with
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYJuly 14, 2018
Management was cutthroat they did things that can’t be put on here upper management don’t even want to hear about it unreal. Never seen a place that the owners of a company would not even look into what they were told that was going on there money is all they care about there
Pros
Pays was good
Cons
Management was sorry

Comment – July 18, 2018

I’m sorry to hear things didn’t work out for you at our new distribution center. Please know that I visited Midway this week to personally interact with the team, and while I was disappointed to read your review, I was extremely impressed with the employees I interacted with while walking the floor. We have an exceptional team in Kentucky and I could not be more proud of the work they are producing. It is my number-one focus right now to ensure our people are satisfied and receiving all the support they need. Thank you for taking the time to provide your candid feedback, and I hope your next career opportunity is a beneficial one. –Mario Savastano, Sr. Vice President of Supply Chain

Terrible management..
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 30, 2018
Was employed with lakeshore about 6 months... literally was told: how great I was doing, I have a future... keep doing what I’m doing, everybody is saying nice things about you.. etc.. this is all within my first 3-4 months in... then month 6 comes in and they are letting me go WITHOUT any warning. Hysterical. I wasn’t even mad, more relieved because the management at this company is horrendous. I hated working there. Could never get a straight answer from anybody in the department. Training was just terrible...

The manager is just incompetent at keeping a team and it’s chemistry together, team full of backstabbers. Literally had a smile on my face as the HR person told me I was being let go, because my manager and CTO were to coward to do It themselves.

I see they are still looking to fill this position. Almost a year later... haha... go figure...
July 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We take our people’s experiences very seriously, and I wanted to respond personally to let you know how sorry I was to hear that your separation from Lakeshore came as a surprise. We work hard to run our IT department with 100% transparency, and we provide frequent feedback to let our people know how they’re doing. Although your critical review was a hard message to hear, we do appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts. We’re always looking for ways to improve, and we will certainly consider your input as we plan future trainings. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. – Robert Nordland, Chief Technology Officer at Lakeshore

Productive and fun work place with great pay
Hourly Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJune 11, 2018
Love all the help from all the employees! Everyone is treated equally. The employees are well taken care of their happiness comes first. Anything they may need is most often given.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeshore Learning Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about