Lakeshore Learning Materials Employee Reviews

Poor Management, especially on second shift
Warehouse Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 13, 2018
Started out awesome first 2 weeks, after that it became apparent everyone was on a learning curve in management. Second shift supervisors lack integrity and that became very uncomfortable to witness every shift.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Poor Management, no job security, favoritism
April 26, 2018

We’re so sorry to hear you were unhappy with your work experience, and we wish we’d been able to speak with you sooner about your concerns. We have an open-door policy for all of our employees—not just managers and supervisors—and we strongly urge our people to reach out to Human Resources whenever they have issues or feedback concerning any aspect of their jobs. The personal perspectives of our people are invaluable in helping us ensure the very best work place possible for everyone on the team. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We wish you all the best in the future.

Great People and Company!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 10, 2018
Lakeshore is the best company I have ever worked for. Great people that care a lot about the work and about each other. We work hard, but the reward is great.
Pros
Really good benefits, growth opportunities, stability, overtime pay, nice people
Cons
Not much to complain about - they've been great
Sinking ship
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Midway, KYApril 5, 2018
Started out loving the place! They make you believe that it is this great place when you first start out, but it is one of the worst places I have worked. Very very poor management. They have already fired 6 supervisors, the receiving manager, the HR manager, three receiving clerks, the maintenance manager, an IT tech, and at least 40 regular employees and it has only been open since august 28th 2017. If you like job security don't work here. If you like organization don't work here, if you DONT like favoritism don't work here. The only good thing I can say about the place is the pay is decent the hours are good and the vacation paid time off is good, but this is all to fool you and attract you to this sinking ship.
Pros
Benefits, working hours
Cons
Management, management, and management
April 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid opinion. I’m so sorry that our work environment didn’t meet your expectations, and I will admit that the opening of our new distribution center did come with its share of start-up kinks. However, with the recent addition of a new Human Resources Manager and the continued hard work of our ace team there in Midway, we feel we’ve made significant strides in the last few months to streamline procedures and ensure our employees’ success. Also, please know that employee retention and job satisfaction are two of our highest concerns, and we pride ourselves on keeping our turnover rate at an all-time low for several years now. Thank you again for your feedback. We listen closely to the input of all current and former employees, and we use the information we receive to continuously strive to improve. Best of luck to you. –Kelli Miller, Chief People Officer

Fun workplace
Research and Development (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAApril 3, 2018
This was a fun yet professional workplace.
My department was collaborative and friendly.
Management was fair.
Coworkers were reliable.
Pay and benefits were fair.
Pros
There was no dress code
Cons
IT was a long commute from my home
Excellent company to work for
Contractor (Current Employee) –  AlabamaApril 2, 2018
Lakeshore Learning provided an opportunity for me to travel through my home state as well as network with people I otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to. The management team here is top notch, and I have become great friends with all of them. I would highly recommend getting in touch with this company and asking about employment.
Good Place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAMarch 27, 2018
good place to work! Wish some things would change. It was an overall good place to work. Made great friends and was able to advance. Wish that they took employees feelings into consideration a little bit more! Loved working in a fast paced enviroment
It’s a job!
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYMarch 22, 2018
I’ve been there a little while now. I enjoy it. Have some great coworkers. The hours are perfect for a work/home balance. It’s a new company so everyone is learning together. Sometimes that leads to some struggles. Fast paced for the most part. Picky about who they hire tho even tho we need help pretty bad. Postings for jobs within the company to move up. They interview within first, before looking outside the company. No air conditioning which will suck during the summer when their peak season comes around and we’re workig crazy overtime. You can talk to HR just about anytime about anything, but getting actions is hard. Sometimes feel like the employees ideas and opinions are pushed off to the side. Attendance policy sounds great when you’re hired in, but it truly needs tweeked to better fit each individual building. Been nice to know they pay by experience tho because a lot of us didn’t know and left out stuff that probably would of advanced our pay some. But all in all, I enjoy my job and most of the ppl there. My supervisor is decent.
Pros
Hours, coworkers, fast paced
Cons
Attendance policy, no air conditioning
Not your average retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYMarch 5, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Lakeshore Learning. The customers were always friendly and genuinely appreciated by help because it involved a mutual care of children. Lakeshore Learning provides teachers and parents with educational toys and resources for their children, so being knowledgeable about products was super fun, easy, and important. The staff valued the guests just as much as they valued us, and we all valued the products because of their benefits to children.
An Enjoyable Place To Work
Hourly Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 5, 2018
I started here as a part time associate and quickly advanced to part time supervisor. It is an enjoyable place to work that is rewarding and has a great culture.
Pros
Awesome Communication
Cons
Wish I were full time
Lakeshore Learning Materials
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 25, 2018
Terrible company to work for. I was let go two days after being told I had a future with the company. Very unprofessional management. Very high turn over.
Lakeshore not for everyone
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 21, 2018
If you work hard you can be successful at Lakeshore, but the demands and pay will always put limits on you.

They do have clicks, and depending on the department the demands may not be over the top.

If you don’t like hard work and excelling then this isn’t the place for you.
Pros
Vacation time, bonuses, health insurance
Cons
Overtime, pay
Easy going with helpful Supervisors.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoyed working here, the atmosphere was easy going and everyone was very helpful with any questions I had. Supervisors are always around. Very flexible schedule.
productive & fun place (if you like kids) to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJFebruary 10, 2018
slow & fast paced especially school time - holidays,
what I've learned that Lakeshore caters to all not just school teachers.
management very professional; & making sure customer satisfaction were met.
Parent & Teacher -
making sure all goals are met.
craft time ;)
Pros
Friendliness
Fun and fast work enviroment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 10, 2018
It is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. It is like a family and they take care of their family and do everything in their power to help you succeed.
Fun place
Order Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAFebruary 9, 2018
A fast pace company to ship out phone orders for Christmas delivery. Managers were nice to work for. We worked with all types of people college students,single mothers just to earn a few extra money. The most enjoyable part of the job was the discounts in the store.
Pros
Discounts
Amazing company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 2, 2018
My job is fun, the people I work with are great, and my boss truly cares about me - our Lakeshore team rocks! Hard work is rewarded here, and you can really build your career.
Pros
Good pay + benefits, training, lots of career options
Cons
No tuition reimbursement
A company that tries to make employees happy to forget about the low pay and lack of training
Bid Agent/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 1, 2018
At first Lakeshore comes across as a very fun and enjoyable company to work for, but as the time goes on, the fun and enjoyment are buried by the lack of true management and the need to turn a blind eye to issues that arise. In my department managers would be yelling and screaming in front of the employees and would not show any professionalism. When numerous requests are made for training and back up due to an overabundance of work with deadlines, no help is provided. Also, the pay for the type of work being done is far below industry standards.
Pros
Fun events, employee appreciation
Cons
Non listening management, untrained supervisors, lack of on the job training, mediocre pay for amount and type of work
Great Company Unlike any other !
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYFebruary 1, 2018
Really a great company that gives you the opportunity to have a career and not just a job! Upper management has an open door policy and makes you feel like your concerns and ideas are being taken seriously. Would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a long term career.
Pros
incentives, room for advancement, teamwork, communication
Cons
Insurance start time / Profit sharing wait period
Midway Ky - Overall wonderful job
Outbound employee (Current Employee) –  Midway, KYJanuary 31, 2018
Great environment to work in! Everyone works as a team, management is super helpful w/learning the system. Upper management is constantly out on the floor working w/us. Coworkers are friendly & always helping each other out. Would definitely recommend.
February 2, 2018

We appreciate your feedback! It’s so great to hear that you’re enjoying the environment at our new distribution center. As our operations in Midway move into full swing, our leadership team is committed to ensuring our processes work and our people are set up for success. Thank you for recommending Lakeshore as a rewarding place to work. In fact, we’re still hiring, so feel free to take advantage of our employee referral program and send those contacts our way!

Stay away!
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Midway, KentuckyJanuary 31, 2018
Management leaves something to be desired. Little to no training. Management takes no responsibility for any issues and takes no initiative to correct issues. It seems the only real work management does is delegation.
Cons
management
February 2, 2018

Thank you for posting your review. We’re sorry things didn’t work out for you at our new DC in Midway. Now that we’ve reached the other side of our initial launch phase—which came with a few start-up snags—we feel very optimistic about what lies ahead for our people in Midway. Best of luck to you, and thanks again for your feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeshore Learning Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews by Location