Lamar University Employee Reviews

Perfect balance of Work and Play
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 11, 2019
Lamar University's Peer Mentor program is something I am so glad I got to be apart of. I built friendships, networked, and learned a whole lot! I worked very closely with my faculty mentor. We would meet and plan our meetings with the Freshman. I would organize speakers and activities for us to do with the freshman.
Distance Learning Center is Relaxed and Conducive
Student Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 25, 2019
As a student worker and this being my first actual job, I was nervous. There was, however, no need to be nervous. The people are friendly and relaxed, the environment is relatively calm (until certain times of the month in the school year!), and I learned a lot on the job.
The job changed
HEAD FOOTBALL COACH (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 20, 2019
After the president and athletic director that hired me retired, the new administration wanted their own people. The last 2 years on the job was not the positive work place that we had all worked so hard to create. This is understandable.
Pros
Great location and setting for a football program
Cons
Not much positive chemistry
Wonderful Place
Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 24, 2019
Loved working with the students at Lamar University. Everyone worked together as a team. Students were wonderful and they were able to earn credit for high school and college.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
N/a
Engaging and enriching working alongside students
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 15, 2019
I have been able to assist students with life on campus and to assist with classes and their ability to study and prepare for their college experience.
Working with students has helped me to understand how people of various backgrounds can work together to accomplish their goals effectively.
Overall Amazing
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 11, 2019
This was a freelance thing I did while attending Lamar, very informative and helpful and flexible.Luckily this allowed me to focus on my own school work as well as helping others with other classes.
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 8, 2019
Excellent place to attend school. ten out of ten would recommend. I had a great experience at Lamar and i am very grateful for it. I do feel prepared as an undergrad.
Great School
Teacher/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 6, 2019
Was a student there for 6 years, completed Bachelor and Master's degree in Industrial engineering. Got hired as a student Master for a TA position, great experience.
I was a student who needed money
Digital Editing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 8, 2019
I had two jobs at Lamar University, one I felt I was overpaid for and the other I felt I was underpaid for. I had a lot more hours doing the one I was underpaid for. I think there needs to be some balancing of student compensation but overall I had no problem with Lamar University as an employee because I didn't have to deal with administration. As a student, I can tell you the administration doesn't care about it's students so I'm not sure that it would care about it's employees either.
Job
COMMUNITY LEADER (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Looking for a job while in college, being RA will be your best choice. You must be enrolled and living on campus to apply for this job. Loved creating activities for current students to attend.
Pros
highest paid campus job
Cons
overnight on calls
Not very suitable for immigrants
Business Analyst Sr, CRM (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Not very suitable for immigrants except non-profit exempt visa. Location not very pleasant. Work culture is relaxed. Vacation like christmas holidays available but vacation only available after 6 months of job.
Good deal
Research Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Specially if you're an engineering student, working on campus helps you make a little bit of money with flexible hours. good work environment and you don't have to drive to work lol.
Pros
free lunches
Balanced Teaching Load
Instructor of English (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 17, 2018
I haven't been employed with Lamar University in quite some time, but during my tenure, I loved my job. Workloads were fair and balanced, and additional work was available during mini and summer sessions. The benefits were excellent as well, and retirement was offered. Instructor salaries could have been higher, and class sizes were getting rather large, but overall, I would recommend LU to anyone.
Pros
benefits, retirement, good students, collaboration among colleagues
Cons
salaries
Excellent experience to work among others.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 18, 2018
Good team experience, great hours , benefits are available. work is not hard at all, office cleaning restrooms, basic cleaning task for you to do. Team effort.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Lamar Aquatics
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 16, 2018
I can't speak for the rest of the school's part time jobs, but working at the pool was awesome. The Aquatics Coordinator was an excellent manager, and the people were really cool. It's a very laid back job
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere with plenty of free time to work on homework
Cons
Low hours during the year, crazy hours during summer
Nice research and class environments
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXNovember 14, 2018
Very experienced and well published professors to work with, sophisticated labs, good classrooms, well organized online sessions, good services from different divisions of the university.
Helped me in socializing and develop myself towards my interest.
Research Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 13, 2018
Working in university while pursuing education aids to understand how much efforts are involved for simple output.
Develop our skills, learn to communicate.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
It can be improved with better professor guidance
Nice
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 12, 2018
Enjoyed working for Lamar University. I do recommend anyone wanting to working on campus to apply thought Lamar University. You will meet a lot of connections
Good and friendly place to work
Student Assistant, Mary & John Gray Library (Current Employee) –  Mary & John Gray LibraryNovember 12, 2018
I suggest my friends working here. Managed stressful situations with tact and diplomacy. Communicated with supervisors, colleagues, students, and public.
Racist and Negative
Recruiting & Retention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 5, 2018
The work atmosphere was negative, and back stabbing. By the time I left, I was emotionally disgusted. Management was racist and allowed a racist attitude.