Lamar University
78Above average
4.3

Lamar University Employee Reviews

United States248 reviews
Lamar university gave me a chance to step out of my comfort zone and help me become the woman , I’ve always wanted to be . I have built relationships , made connections , become more creative and open .
I worked at Lamar University for 5 years doing several roles. They pay is very low and the treatment is very poor. Human Resources does not support the employees. I loved working there and helping students succeed. However, the way we were treated during the COVID-19 was disgusting. We were treated as if it was our fault and our health and safety was NEVER considered. I resigned. I would not recommend working here to anyone. The benefits are great, but it's not worth the way you are treated.
I worked at Lamar University for over 5 years and I worked in three different departments. I truly loved my job and assisting the people that worked for my supervisor. Human Resources does not care about the employees. The pay is very very low.
I worked multiple sports while there one semester. I didn't have a day off for over two months, but most seasoned athletic trainers will tell you that's just part of the job.
Work is completely computer work from 8am until 5pm. I have learned all about reading and evaluating college transcripts. Also adaptability as we upgraded to new software. The hardest part is continuing to work when the software fails, the best part is the supportive people I worked with.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Working for Lamar University comes with a lot of perks and benefits. The insurance is paid, people are nice and facilities are great. Annual salaries are low. However, if you get in the "good graces" of the management staff, then there are opportunities to earn more money through adjudicating, being a learning community mentor, or even have 2 positions (instructor and program director). These opportunities are not advertised and are typically given to those that are in the know are some connected to the "right people."
Overnight Assessment
Mostly student paperwork you have to judge what would qualify as a good decision from day to day use your better judgement you can't go wrong
I have been allowed to develop my position and have been provided many opportunities to increase my knowledge in various fields. I enjoy the flexibility and freedom I am given to increase my departments value to the campus and university.
They are very flexible and accommodating to your needs and the benefits (retirement, health insurance, dental, vision, etc.) are fantastic. However, management can be very nit-picky and often are very poor at communicating their objectives effectively.
Being on the campus was safe, but students would get robbed walking along the outskirts of the campus. The benefits were nice, my colleagues were great, my supervisor was awesome, the jobs was amazing, and the work environment was stress-less, overall I regret having left.
Annual salaries are low. However, if you get in the "good graces" of the management staff, then there are opportunities to earn more money through adjuncting, being a learning community mentor, or even have 2 positions (instructor and program director). These opportunities are not advertised and are typically given to those that are in the know are some connected to the "right people."
Lamar is always concerned about their professors and committed to their students. They take comments and concerns into consideration, and work on constantly improving the atmosphere.
Demonstrate a passion for the success of the University, College of Business, and giving students the professional, personal tools for successful careers, you will find a home at Lamar University.
Position required a Bachelor's degree and only pays $11.21 per hour. 3% raise effective 09/19. Good place to study. Director of the Department did not want an Administrative Assistant, so I was basically ignored. The Chair of the Departments is a nice person, just wants everything to be easy peasy, no stress, no waves.
NO room for advancement.
Got fired for someone getting into your face.the chief had his picks who he get to be a cso when you put in for it three or more times and steal didn't get it.
I liked the job timings and the job itself. While working their I learnt many things that were helpful for my research work. It is fun place to with other students.
Was working with Lit and got laid off then went to work for Lamar been with the college for 5 years I really like the benefits and the work environment
A great place to learn, my role was being a scientist and performed various experiments with potent, corrosive chemicals in which I applied constant safety.
My boss is very good about showing me the more in depth accounting business that she is working on. She always pulls me in to explain both how and why we account for certain items.
very laid back, employees easy to get along with. Work week is Monday through Friday No weekends which is a plus. Management
,as long as you do your assigned work is great.
Pros
hours time off
Cons
I worked on a great team doing a job I loved: creating online courses. The professors are great to work with (mostly) and so are the other faculty. There is some politics, which is to be expected. All in all, a very good experience and I am grateful.
Pros
Very flexible work schedule. A lot of training and conferences to attend.
Cons
A bit lower pay than expected.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lamar University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3