Lamps Plus Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Interesting Work
Store Manager in Training / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  usaMarch 11, 2018
Lighting is interesting. Company is good overall but is struggling with internet vs. store sales. Very little advancement. They are replacing experience with new blood.
Pros
Learn Alot
Cons
Never have weekends off.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 21, 2018
Stressful, terrible management. Working 50 hours per week with no overtime paid.
Run away from this company! Stressful drama environment every minute. If you work on commission, expect a lot of returns due to ZERO QUALITY CONTROL!
Pros
Cons
Poor commission, tons of unpaid hours and overtime.
Better than average
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Lamps Plus has transformed itself over 35 years from a brick and mortar lighting retailer into an online industry juggernaut. The corporate culture emphasizes work life balance, and pay is fair to excellent depending on your performance. It is led by a highly competent owner who built the family business from the ground up.

There are some areas for improvement- expensive health benefits, slow pace of change, a general aversion to technology from many of the older employees, and a tendency to invest in areas with low returns. Parking is a pain but they are building new lots.

This is a company where you can build a career up through retirement.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJanuary 8, 2018
They suck at training, they get mad at you when you ask questions, the manager just sits on his butt all day. The customers are always mad all the time. It was the worst job I ever had. The co workers were pretty helpful but the manager sucks and is so lazy.
Pros
Pay is okay
Great company
Stock room Asst. Manager/Display team (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 6, 2017
Great company to work for, besides management, at least in my time there. Merchandise is pretty good and diverse, sales people were always good and very helpful.
Dead end job
Sales (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAOctober 10, 2017
Training is a joke. You are told to do the videos and have to keep stopping to help customers even though you dont know anything. On second day I was left alone to close store with no knowledge of the procedure or what to do in case of emergency.
Not for everyone...
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAOctober 4, 2017
The job itself isn't that bad. You get an average spread of 4-6 weeks of training. You get to be on your own to prove yourself. Its just not for everyone. The bonuses switch as the corporate decides (not fair). When you want to take a vacation or days off months in advance, some excuses are made by management. Again no work/life balance. There is favoritism, and family special stuff going on. No chance of exceeding unless you are on someones favorite list. Be prepared. I wouldn't recommend the company, corporate is filled with all family members who raise each other higher.
Cons
unfair management
warehouse
Store and internet sales returns (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 29, 2017
It"s a good place to work at. Only that personally I think they can be more organized with the employees. When I worked at lamps plus we had to meet certain numbers to get a bonus.
Pros
free lunch when met standards
Cons
rarely overtimes
Family Oriented Sales
Lighting Consultant (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CASeptember 29, 2017
I had fun and learned a lot about customer service, cash handling and sales negotiation. Workplace culture was warm, competitive, a little cut-throat at times but everyone was supportive overall. The most difficult part of this job was doing the best you can to prevent a customer from returning merchandise because returned items means commission is lost. The best part was working close with a customer to find out what they need and see the happiness in their eyes.
Pros
Friendly, fun, decent pay, good benefits
Cons
Very small window for growth/promotions, retail hours and holiday hours
Like the schedule
OP Lift Operator I (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 7, 2017
I had a great schedule, I worked early in the morning and left by 2pm, plenty of time to spend time with my children.
I left because I kept getting passed over for a promotion.
They are not employee friendly,
Nice coworkers
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAAugust 2, 2017
Family owened company so they pride themselves in customer service downfall is stores are understaffed and and overworked extremely hard to give great customer service when understaffed.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Understaffed over worked
Creative and fun corporate work environment.
Senior Art Director (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAJuly 30, 2017
Lamps Plus is a great place to work. It's family owned and no matter how large it's growth, the work place maintains a professional yet family like atmosphere.

Most employees at Lamps Plus are lifers.

Lamps Plus is more than just a $500M+ retail company. It also encompasses product design and brands for other retail lighting companies. There is also a special devision for designers and builders.

Lamps Plus is much more than meets the eye and an excellent place to work.
Pros
Work closely with owner who is fun and brilliant.
Cons
One can stagnate with a lack of challenge sometimes
High School Job
REACH/ELECTRIC PALLET JACK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 28, 2017
Entry level job, high turn over rate. Great people just need a stronger core. Hours vary on the companies needs. Could be a lot of mandatory overtime or could be none.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Job is not secure for too many reasons.
Sales
Certified Decorative Lighting Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fair Oaks, CAJuly 17, 2017
Bad management, both on the store level and the District Manager levels. They are unwilling to resolve issues inside the store. Unethical behavior of salespeople is not discouraged. No feedback at all. The store manager only talks to you if he needs something from you.
Pros
Technically you do not have to take a lunch. You clock out, but keep working through your lunch. It is good if you are busy making maoney.
Cons
be more incouraging, teach new people the system and how the store operates.
Secure organization
ART DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAJuly 14, 2017
Great large, yet a mom and pop environment. Benefits, security, balance all great. Upper management nice. Job culture ok, people tend to stay for a long time.
Microscopic management, exstremely stressful, constant change.
Certified Decorative Lighting Associate (Current Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAApril 27, 2017
Corporate makes it a miserable stressful place to work.
There is constant change, not for the best, they make you do things you don't get paid for and treat you like morons, even after working there faithfully for years. They change to rules so they don't have to pay bonuses.They don't care about their employees.
Dont work there
Visual Display Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 16, 2017
I wouldn't work there, the management isn't great and employees are lazy and steal your sales! You will end up doing others jobs and not get paid more.
Cons
The manger doesn't know what she is doing.
Good Job
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CADecember 28, 2016
Nice place to work at. Company offers free parking.
Schedule can get a little ruff but its a nice place to work.
Installation department is the best place to work. They manage numerous amount of technicians in several areas.
Job advancement
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 12, 2016
To begin with, Job over all is great in all areas but there is always room for improvements on what i have suggested is selecting a better way of promoting personnel or outside hire. what i am tryng to convey is that company has not been really well at hiring trained candidates on inside or outside.

in conclusion, company has to work on the mentioned suggestion due to the fact of neglecting the possibility to right candidates.
A Fair Employer with Clear Expectations
Lead Display Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2016
Before the store opens my duties are very routine with few changes but once we are open for business, tasks are decided by the ebb and flow of customers. As the lead display merchandiser for the store my responsibilities were to keep the store in 'shoppable' condition which might include building new merchandise, keeping displays up to plan or instructing our stock team for maintenance.

The main skill working at Lamps Plus taught me was how to efficiently multi-task, personally I became very good at helping customers while fulfilling display duties at the same time.

Management was firm with our team but, understanding enough that we were still people who might have made the odd mistake every now and then.

My co-workers were easily the best part of my job. I was fortunate enough to work with people who were warm and welcoming and could find the time to address any questions or concerns I might have had. especially when I was first starting.

The hardest part of my job was assisting frustrated customers however, we always made sure to help the customer to the best of our abilities and exhaust every avenue we could.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that my tasks had a direct and visible influence on the store. If my duties were done and done well, our store looked significantly better which was a small reward every time something was completed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lamps Plus. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight