Landstar Employee Reviews

Fast work environment
Agent/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 13, 2018
Posting loads and working with Landstar drivers,searching for the loads and making connection with customers. Very stressful job but I enjoy working in transportation . Landstar is a great company but have to have better agency managers and must sign contract .
Pros
can work from home
Cons
poor agency management, giving Landstar bad picture.
I was an independent agent and operations manager for Landstar/Inway
Sales Agent/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, PANovember 6, 2018
Begin with answering calls from customers and drivers.
Posted shipments and matched available equipment for customer needs.
Communicated instructions for pick up and delivery of commodities.
Completed any paperwork necessary to finalize shipments.
I learned that customer service & safety was priority.
I understood "just in time" delivery.
The hardest part of the job was finding good administrative back up staff.
I enjoyed keeping my word to both customer and driver, because I was providing a service and earning trust.
Hotshot (LTL)
Experienced, Class A licensed, Owner/operator, (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 5, 2018
Had a tough time at Landstar. I should have bought a Big Truck instead of a Dully. LTL Fright was limited in m area. I left because i received an offer for a better paying job.
Pros
You make your own schedule
Cons
Limited Fright for Hotshots
The Best in its class
Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 26, 2018
#1 Logistics company for owner operators by far. There’s nothing about Landstar to complain of. Beware of agents trying to get over when booking. Make sure you document everything.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
Some agents
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 23, 2018
Productive good place to work I drove for a owner opperater so no bennefits and old truck and equipment that was the bad part and reason for leaving all things connsidered a good companny to drive for except the trucks were in bad shape
Pros
Good home time
Cons
Bad equipment
Scammed out of two weeks of my life
Freight Agent (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 21, 2018
This company American Frieght services by Landstar is nothing short of a scam. First off, We wasted the first week and another agent gave us the MC number we needed to even start approaching shippers. Every shipper I called said that they would no longer deal with landstar. They say that Landstar is double brokering. By the second week, only 4 people remained. The broker changed the game and said that no we only have to worry about getting loads, well word quickly spreads and with the landstar name you won't even be able to get the first load. After that, you still won't be able to get a driver for your load as was my case. The shippers are low balling LANDSTAR agents and the drivers are HIGH PITCHING, so that you won't make anything. The drivers always have an excuse as to why they cannot take your load and the BCO's are the worst. Its a company on its last legs. The industry has changed for the worst and Landstar has been BLACK BALLED, but now instead of them scamming the shippers, they are now scamming their own AGENTS! run run run away and don't waste anymore than a day in their class. If you have a job, don't leave it for this!!! That's what they encourage you to do. Because they KNOW its a scam and your screwing yourself over. Don't do it. You'll be very sorry you did! Oh and he sent us an email at the end threatening us that if we don't show up for training tommorow morning at 8, that we will NEVER BE ABLE TO WORK IN THE INDUSTRY AGAIN... I'm gonna forward this email to EVERYONE so that they can see what kind of people Landstar has. THEY MAKE YOU MARK  more... UP THE LOAD BY 30% AND WONDER WHY THEY CAN'T GET THAT OUT OF THE SHIPPERS!!! STUPID!  less
Pros
never did a background check, never asked for banking info because they knew it was nothing to be made anyway!
Cons
scam, waste of time, won't give you the whole story, untruthful, lack of ethics, threatening
Steady work
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 27, 2018
The people are good at heart. Managers are promotion driven. Training is hard to come by. My department tried their hearts out with the tools available.
Pros
Healthy bottom line.
Cons
Lack of direction, too many chiefs.
Set own Pace
Self Employed (Current Employee) –  Cherokee Village, ARSeptember 13, 2018
Great large trucking company to be agent for. They help you along the way. Always there to answer questions. Sky is the limit when comes to earning potential.
It is everything you have heard and more!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 11, 2018
If you drive a truck you have heard of Landstar, if you haven't, you are not a truck driver.

Landstar is everything you have heard and more. The only way you get better than Landstar is to get your own authority.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Great place for constant technical challenges!
Manager, Application Development (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 31, 2018
Always improving technically due to breakneck pace of growth and challenges of integrating with numerous trading partners across the entire supply chain.
Good place to work.
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 27, 2018
Good place to work.
Nice people and nice environment.
Should be paying a little more, and a little more appreciation for employees would be nice. Chill and laid back work space.
Fast paced and demanding job.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLAugust 22, 2018
You get out of the job what you put into it. As a regular employee I was pressured constantly. As a manager, I was given more lenience but not supported in my position.
Fast pace, stressful, never the same thing every day
Customer Service Rep/Dispatcher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 22, 2018
The company as a whole is great. Just make sure you work for one of the good and drama free cites. Since its a brokerage firm, every office is individualy owned and not a true part of the Landstar corporation.
Pros
Get to meet a lot of wonderful people
Cons
Stressful
Good place to work if you are in Jacksonville
Securement Advisor/LCV Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 14, 2018
Good place to work if you are in Jacksonville, no room for advancement if in Ft Worth, Good Benefits and most of the people are easy to work with. Exception is current supervisor in Ft Worth. Very stressful as Ft Worth does not have enough employees to cover the jobs.
3PL Transporation
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 14, 2018
Landstar is one of the leading 3PL's in the country, they specialize in covering all aspects and modes of the transportation industry. They are strictly an Independent contractor company.
Pros
Ability to choose your own loads.
Cons
The percentage that they pay.
Learning experience
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 14, 2018
It was a very easy learning experience to jump into the logistics field and you never really stop learning once youre in. It was a great stepping stone to learn the structure of the business
Comment - Landstar
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 6, 2018
Micromanaging, too much politics, no recognition for hard work, you have to be buddy with Vice Presidents or Directors to advance. They do not like nor support diversity. Unhealthy work environment and company.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Good company for a hard working person
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 31, 2018
This company is for owner/ operators ( owning your own equipment.) You are your own boss here, you do not have a manager over you. We lease our equipment to Landstar.
Pros
If you know what you are doing, payoffs are big
Cons
If you do not know what you are doing, you will lose everything
If you swing by any of they office they provide drivers whit lunch and etc
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 31, 2018
Landstar and all agent working for them and whit them highly professional and polite.Drove OTR USA and Canada in Landstar working culture driver is responsible for his or her success all do Landstar is there to help you achieve best.
Great Starter
Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
Great place to get experience in the industry because it is a beautiful industry. If you work hard you will learn a lot. Hardest part is drivers calling late at night but you get use to it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Landstar. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight