Langham Hotel Employee Reviews

Fast-paced. required working weekends and holidays
Patissier/ Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 27, 2018
good management, community, and work culture. nice compensations and benefits. lots of opportunities to advance within the company. overall a good company to work for.
Pros
good management, nice compensations and benefits, lots of opportunities to advance within the company
Cons
Fast-paced, required working weekends and holidays
Great Location and place to learn
Cook III (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 23, 2018
Working at this place will teach you from the very basics, of your culinary career to the most stressful part of dealing with all kind of circumstances, lack of equipment , and old Facilities.

With the right mindset this is a great place to develop professionally , there is no such thing as easy job , In my opinion this place is challenging in its own way and its not necessary bad , of course there are thing that can always be better.
Pros
Full benefits and Cafeteria
Cons
Lack of equipment and old facilities
Too many cooks in the kitchen
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2018
The culture here is ridiculous. Human Resources acts like they own the place and bother the way everyone works. The HR Manager would walk around taking notes on employees that do not attire to their 'standards', making people feeling paranoid and on their toes at all times. Did I mention that they set ridiculous unachievable goals?

People who stood their ground and speak up would not last long. They only want sheeps working here. Everyone smiles and acts like nothing is happening because they are afraid to lose their job/benefits. It's kinda sad, really... They are way too deep in their own behind to think they would get a five star/five diamond with this kind of environment.
Hotel Life
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Hotel life is pretty much all work... and hardly any place. If you work at a hotel, especially this one, you can kiss your personal life good bye. Benefits and pay were great. But whats good with that if you can't spend it with family. Some times you work 10 days straight. WTH!!! Management is a joke. Always looking to place the blame on somebody or on another department.
Pros
free lunch. free parking. Benefits, pay
Cons
no life, work work work, stress, stress, stress. Workers and managers gossip. Scream at employees
Very fast paced work environment
Senior Reservations Agent/Group Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 25, 2018
I actually enjoyed the fast pace work environment at the Langham, Boston. I did not think that their was really room for advancement though. I thought the work culture was great.
Fast pace work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 14, 2018
The customer is Always Right. there is no getting around that ever. There are a lot of different departments and everyone contributes to make the "experience" the best for the guests. Depends where you work the job could get heavy at times. serving in restaurants is hard at times when there are high volumes of guests. Management tends to change a lot All the time. Some guests are a pleasure to serve and they make your hard work very worth it. Their gratitude tends to make you want to be there and put more effort.
Horrible management
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAOctober 6, 2018
The people there are amazing but management looks for scapegoats to bail themselves out and find any little thing to fire people it's not worth the stress.
Excellent place to work
Housekeeping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2018
I loved the experience of working for a five star and very elegant Hotel. This experience gave me a whole new perspective on top quality and excellence in guest satisfaction and change in my speech in terms of excellence in speech when speaking to both inner and outer guests meaning my fellow colleagues..I would very much recommend this Hotel for both an excellent guest stay and an absolute perfect place to work for sharpening people skills as well.
Pros
Free meals and employee recognition
Cons
I have nothing at this time
Warm work culture.
Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2018
The Langham Chicago was a great place to work. The general work culture was friendly and warm with many opportunities to advance. As an exchange employee, I felt valued.
Over work you .
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 7, 2018
They tend to not appreciate their workers thus the reason why many leave. Seniority plays a huge role in this company and at times gets in the way of new workers from moving up and building a career in the company.
Benefits
Cons
Rude people
Cook 3
Cook 3 (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 20, 2018
Being a cook 3 isn't really what you think it was
there was a lot more to it than just the actual cook 3
I had to prep and be on the line with no or little time
I also was at the fry station and saute especially when needed.
Compensation was great for cook 3 but with the job we did I believe promotion wise in the kitchen was just unfair.
Terrible Management
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2018
The management is lazy and does not know how to manage. They are never around and leave all the work for the staff to handle. They are well paid to act important but not really do anything.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Definitely Not a Permanent type job. Too stressful
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 10, 2017
Unsanitary working conditions, bad odors, rotting walls and carpet. Poor working conditions, rodents, flies sticky counters in cafeteria, Bad food, too many carbs, dirty oiled fried foods, fruits flies everywhere and loud chaotic environment made it hard to concentrate or enjoy the job.
Pros
job security
Cons
poor stressful working conditions, upper management is rude and not connected.
Great property to work for and enjoy the working relation with the team
HOUSEKEEPING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2015
• Oversaw all aspects of the evening Housekeeping staff and their responsibilities including housekeeping for two flight crews, public area cleaning, and turndown attendants. Interviewed and reviewed all colleagues on this shift.

• Managed relationship with third party dry cleaning partner and evening production of guest laundry in-house.

• Managed and processed payroll, made daily schedule adjustments to suit business demands as needed during volatile occupancy periods.

• Build up great relationships with the team • Successfully enhance department moral and raise the LQA score.

• The hardest part of the job is to bring the team together toward the same goal and meet the hotel standards.

• The most enjoyable part of the job is able to bring the team together as one team
Pros
Able to learn different cultures from all over the world
Cons
Healthcare and no career growth in this property
fun place
Director of Finance /Controller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2017
“Working at Langham is fun! The working environment is great, colleagues are very helpful and extremely smart. Everything happens here at Speed of Light. Lots of amazing benefits that are best in the industry. The company believes in transparency and we can see this value in its culture. At Langham winning is important but it’s more important that if we fail then we fail together and not alone. This is how we roll and we take risks knowing that we will never fail alone! I am proud and fortunate enough to be a part, of this great Company!”
productive work experience
ENGINEER SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 20, 2018
good experience on size property big gardens, restaurants, laundry, 4 kitchens, This company is good to get experience, good place to work, and grow up.
Fun and iconic property to work at in Pasadena
Loss Prevention/Security Agent (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 12, 2012
A typical day will consist of conducting safety inspections throughout the property, attending to guest security and lost property issues, and maintaining of a department activities log of all actions by department personnel. Co-workers within my department are extremely knowledgable and capable of any and all duties expected of our department, and are at all times flexible to accomodate any scheduling needs of those within the department. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is being able to fully explore and enjoy the atmosphere of working at a historic and iconic property.
Pros
meals provided, dry cleaning available for employees, discounts on merchandise from gift shop, medical/dental/vision benefits provided to full-time staff on completion of 90 day probation
Cons
small department, little to no room for advancement, must be willing to transfer to another department or property to advance.
You'll be miserable but you can make lots of $$$
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 13, 2016
I worked here for over a year, first thing to know. Sales/reservations is in the basement. No windows, fresh air or cell phone service. There could be a storm a terrorist attack (like the marathon bombing) and you would never know! Second there's a social class culture. The the execs and sales tend to look down on others. The front desk and accounting dept didn't get along with the reservations team. Very high school. The high turnover allowed me to become the most senior person in my department in less than a year. We were completely understaffed or had new people which I trained. My hard work was never recognized because my manager was to busy trying to belittle and micro manage me. If I could do it over, I would have transferred to a different department; F&B or bond to be exact. I was able to cross train there and had a much better experience. Those are the departments I would recommend. Overall, you can make a lot of money here if you keep your head down and work hard.
Pros
Free employee travel program, lots of overtime and cross training.
Cons
Very high turnover, lots of tension between departments
Great Pay, Average Employee Satisfaction, Poor Company Support
BANQUET SERVER (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 4, 2016
I have a start time but I never know when I will be done with my duties. I am an on-call server and I do not have a say in the company, nor do I have any benefits. My co-workers are great. We are like a very large family. Myself and most others have worked here for over 10 years. This is the most enjoyable part of the job (the associates). Hardest part are the long hours of standing on your feet. The pay is more than substantial in the Banquets Department.
Pros
Cafeteria on site
Cons
No benefits, fluctuating star and end work times/hours
good workplace
Houseman (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2017
Good workplace with a problems in management consistency, They take very good care of the workers with at pay the benefits package. The attendance policy is confusing though.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad attendance policy