Langham Place Employee Reviews

Wonderful hotel
Personal Assistant/Concierge (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2017
The location of this hotel is in the heart of Manhattan and is footsteps away from the iconic Empire State Building. The company culture is quickly adaptable and the training will make you an expert of the 5 star standards.
Good Place to learn and grow.
Conference Services Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2015
My day is filled with many fun challenges throughout the day. A typical day at work for me depends on if I have a group in house or if I am preparing for one to come to the hotel. I work on Banquet Event Orders, Group Resumes and Rooming List Requirements for upcoming groups. I attend meetings throughout the day to communicate all details of a group's stay with the other departments in the hotel. I have been learning a tremendous amount in my current position and very quickly. I am a one man team and a lot of what I learn is by being thrown into the fire, so to speak. It has been a fantastic learning experience for me. Management in the hotel is supportive and I have a great relationship with all management in the hotel. My co-workers are fun and supportive and really make the tough parts of my job bearable. The hardest part of my job is being solely responsible for all aspects of a groups stay and organizing the many details that are constantly changing up till the last minute. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all of my hard work pay off when a group is extremely happy with their stay and seeing them return time and time again. I love seeing my progress from start to finish and how well it went in the end.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits are completely free to employees, good pay, comp. stays at sister properties.
Cons
A lot of work and being solely responsible, no commissions or incentives set up at the moment, long work hours
Fancy hotel, Uptight and out of touch
Room Service Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2014
Langham Place - formerly the Setai fifth avenue when I worked there - is an ultra-expensive, super beautiful hotel in midtown Manhattan. My first day was a positive whirlwind in which I spent two hours learning how to load a room service tray, followed by an impromptu trayed hors d'oeuvres service to the King of Saudi Arabia.

Talk about pressure! Langham attracts guests like this. Over the years I worked there I served Justin Bieber, Matthew Perry, Earth (and wind/fire), Ryan Seacrest and a Partridge in a Pear tree.

Management was a silly joke. When I started, there were exactly two managers in the entire food and beverage department... a totally awesome lady who worked her fingers to the bone, and a burn-out who got the job because of his dad and promptly skipped town when informed he would have to take a drug test. Because of financial constraints, no replacement was ever hired. The awesome lady resigned as well. My department dysfunctioned from that moment until I ultimately left for a healthier environment somewhere else.

It's a shame too because the health benefits were fantastic, the money was great, I was able to take vacations without going broke (excellent paid time off policy), and I loved my immediate coworkers. With a little bit of skilled disciplinary action, we could have had a really awesome team. Unfortunately, no one ever got reined in for tardiness, unprofessionalism, drug use, or anything else so sometimes it felt like myself against the world.

Another issue that irked me then and irks my old co-workers now... Inconsistent, unfair grooming standards.
  more... I was strictly forbidden to grow a beard under any circumstances, but my coworker seemed to be allowed to wear a starkly visible pink bra under a sheer white collared shirt. I mean come on.  less
Pros
High pay, health benefits
Cons
Refused to replace managers who left, often only one working service elevator (sometimes none)
Exremely Demanding
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2014
Job demanded over 50 hours a week sometimes between 60-70. There was no work - life balance.