Language Stars Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Foreign Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 15, 2019
Teach students , in an easier way for them to comprehend,.
Making conversations about their daily routines,
The most enjoyable part of the job would be when you hear your students speak in a different language
Excellent work environment
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILDecember 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids through songs, games, activities and the workbook, and having the reward of seeing the children progress in reading and speaking Spanish.
Pros
opprtunity to work extra hours
Cons
commuting to different schools and centers
Not a good place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 7, 2018
The place just fell apart. Bad decisions, bad leadership, bad processes and bad timing basically made this place shut down. It's sad to think about how much potential this place had.
Just do it if you have ANYTHING else to do.
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  MDOctober 10, 2017
I do not recomend it AT ALL. The paid is very poor for the job you have to do. You have to drive, drive and drive. It too much stress. There is not benefit as part time teacher. If you teach in public school be ready to have 9-15 kids all together.
Pros
Working with kids
Wonderful Culture, Valuable Insight into Business
Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2016
I worked at Language Stars for over 5 years and held multiple roles in Management and Upper Management. Day-to-day, what kept me going is the Mission this company is fostering and the multi-cultural, solutions-oriented, positive team surrounding me through all situations. By working at a smaller company like Language Stars, everyone gets to provide feedback and be part of positive change, even the teaching staff. It's exciting to be part of a growing organization that is constantly learning and improving, and you come out of your role having worn many different hats and gained insight into the inner-workings of our business. The hours are long and almost always include weekends, since we are a for-profit educational company and we have to meet the demands of our customers. However, if you love what you do, then the days go by fast!
Pros
multi-cultural team, committed customers, positive company culture
Cons
long hours, weekends, limited PTO
Fun workplace, enjoyed the fun-immersion method of teaching at Language Stars.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Internship in a period of five months in Chicago, IL. I was a foreign Language teacher in the Spanish program. I thought children from toddlers to early school ages with the fun-immersion curriculum with multiple learning goals and developed skills in intensive writing lesson plan and enhanced methods of teaching young children through immersion with sound cues and facial expressions.
Pros
Free launches and paid training
Cons
Commuting to several centers in the citysuburbs
worst company to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2016
poor management, they only care about how many enrollement they make, they hire anybody you just have to speak the targeted language, they dont train, they expect you to know everything on your own, they treat the teachers as maids, because most of them are on a visa.

a big scam, the lessons havent changed much, they do the same thing on and on and on, you think your kid is learning well yes he is , if he is doing same thing every week and every year, by the end it will stuck on his brain.

they pay each teacher differently, it depends if you negociated or not. if they do actually need you or not, i have seen many good teachers leave because they just didnt care about them.
Pros
wokring with kids
Cons
management, pay
It was fun because of the kids
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, IL Barrington ILMarch 30, 2016
It was a good job except for the low pay and the high demands outside of just teaching made it not bearable and helped me make up my mind as to pursuing my Teaching Certification. Now I work at CPS
Unprofessional & Disorganized
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAFebruary 6, 2016
This is a horrible company to work for. The hiring process is long and a huge waste of time for a glorified receptionist position. You really need to know people to work here long-time. Everyone is dating someone with a better position, most people in senior management are hired through questionable methods.

I love my job because you get to see young children daily and its a loving environment, however, management is a complete mess. Teachers are lied to, the majority are on visas with the expectation of green card sponsorship but the company doesn't care about them.

It is worthless to apply because you will either be a teacher or a center director "glorified receptionist." All other positions are handled through friendships, connections, CEO's buddies, etc. There is no growth opportunities for the average Joe. Why did I do it? I needed a job to pay bills until I can find something better, which I have now. The regional director barely did any change as a center director and was immediately promoted after a few months because of connections, while many others have been around for years still get the same excuses day after day.

As far as teaching, if love teaching as a natural passion, then you will learn to see through the mess, but as far as growth opportunities, salary increases, you are NOT going to get anything beyond the starting pay. Simply because, they don't care about you, they don't appreciate anything you do, supplies are never available for you, classrooms are over sized and that is why many seasonal teachers simply just quit because the stress exceeds
  more... the motivation to get along with the corruption.

My best advice to anyone applying to be a center director, don't be fooled by the title or the worthless interviews, because at the end of the day you are a receptionist that only needs to increase sales revenue with the objective of going higher up in management, that will NEVER happen.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Everything else
Interesting Job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 25, 2016
The work is fun at times but mostly miserable. Upper management are only concerned with enrollment numbers and revenue. Turnover is really high, the hiring process is difficult for no reason, there is too many people with fancy titles but do no good for the agency other than sit on a desk. The CEO was replaced recently, but the overall choices are still the same, no changes have been made, it feels like things have gone more downhill than vice versa.

The pay is a disgrace for the amount of money they collect per student and the type of clients who enroll their children here. $22 per hour is not justified when your making $20,000+ per child and the people with fancy titles sit around to collect.
Pros
Great children
Cons
Fun place, full of knowledge
French teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
Busy days at work, early beginning, a lot of travelling from one center to another, late work.

I've learned to be more open-minded to other culture and to be part of a work team.

It was a pleasure to be among people from different cultures. We learn a lot about each other and we enjoyed every minutes with our classes.

The hardest part of the job was the commute.
The best part was the kids. So much fun !!
Rapidly Developing Business
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2015
Language Stars afforded me many opportunities that would have taken at least twice the time to receive at another company. Growing with the company over 7+ years, I developed training programs, training manuals, helped recruit most of the team over two regions, staffed programs and teachers over two regions, implemented protocol, procedure and new systems over the entire company, and established a leadership infrastructure that did not exist prior.

It was a job that required loyalty, dedication and definitive passion for what you do. It was a very enjoyable experience, and I learned far more with this company in such a quick amount of time. It took me from being a manager of one location to a manager of multi-units to Director of Operations for the company. I wouldn't trade the experience and skills I obtained for anything as they were extremely valuable.
A friendly and fun place to work at
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
I learned a lot at the company and got to apply what I obtained from school into practice. People were really nice and helpful there.
Excellent method great opportunity
Spanish teacher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 8, 2015
typical day: A lot of energy, play based teaching, full immersion, feedback with parents.
I learned how to engage students of all ages to learn and to guide my groups to success.
Very nice co-workers and bosses.
To keep the high level of energy 4 - 5 classes a day is the hardest. The most enjoyable part of my job are my students, to see their progress and how they enjoy to learn and see them overcome their struggles. also the training process, I always try new tools to make my classes the best.
Pros
Training, nice people to work with, Be independent in my teaching creativity.
Cons
Lack of organization (logistics), constant rotation of schedule and work place.
Excellent Place to work
Partnership Manager (Current Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 18, 2015
Everyone I met here was a complete professional and they believe in what they do. They treat everyone with respect at all times and it was a very healthy work environment. I was excited to come to work everyday.
Challenging Rewarding Work and International Workforce
National Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2014
Good place to work. Growing company establishing itself as a leader foreign language education.
Full fun immersion in small groups of children.
French Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2013
A full-immersion foreign language program for pre-K, elementary and middle schools throughout the Chicago and Washington, DC areas. We where focused in oriented programs that build cognitive skills, encourage creativity and expose children to other cultures at a young age. I learned how to to be positive and active in a group.
Cons
1 hour paid break