Lansing Community College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
fun place to work
Adjunct faculty welding and robotics (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 6, 2018
fun teaching people welding skills and meeting new students from semester to semester, always having the newest machines to work with was a bonus as well.
Fun and different every day
Tool Crib Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 3, 2018
There was always something going on in the automotive lab. it was fun working with my colleagues and my teachers. The facility is very clean, and the students are great and always willing to help.
Pros
Discounts on tools, works around class schedule
Cons
No healthcare, not a lot of hours, bi weekly pay
Highly Recommend
Assesment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 3, 2018
I worked on a part time basis at LCC after college when the economy was totally in the toilet in Michigan. Some of the relationships that I built while I was at LCC continue today despite me living out of the area for the past nine years. There were some bad apples in the staff, but management did a good job of trying to weed them out or letting them weed themselves out. Management, overall, was outstanding and I still contact them directly when I have questions about my own career or higher education in general.
Pros
work environment, pace, managment
Cons
pay
Ability to assist others in affording higher education
Scholarship and Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 2, 2018
It was challenging making funding decisions even with a $1.5 million "pot." Students would need to be aligned with donor specifications for funding. Also, there were so many applicants, there never were enough funds.
provide positive feedback to emplees
RADIOGRAPHY STUDENT (Current Employee) –  sparrow , lansing michiganMay 1, 2018
When my coworker quited the job we did a pot lock for him and was funny. We were a hard working team and lovely. we were ready to help each other no matter who was supposed to take care of patient. we put patient first.
Pros
some times free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Productive work environment, fun and interesting work.
Biology Technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 25, 2018
The work is fun and varied. There is always a new challenge to meet. However the pay is not very competitive for the field of science. The hardest part of the job is paying attention to the details, but if you are detail oriented it's a breeze.
Pros
Free class credits, fun work environment.
Cons
Low pay.
Great First Job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 12, 2018
My first job and it was great for the experience. I was an assistant and tracked the new library, as well as the quizzes for the students. The teachers all know their stuff and let you succeed to the best of their ability.
Pros
Very relaxed
Cons
No benefits
Interesting place to work
Lead Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 28, 2018
advancement is difficult...nepotism is alive and well there...so if you know know someone you have a better chance. after 3 years there are no raises and that sucks.
lack of consistency
Adjunct Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 12, 2018
Most management is not connected to adjunct professors and classes were not standardized, which in my opinion is a failure of the college. It shouldn't matter who is teaching the course materials, the student should be taught the same information. This was not the case.
Cut throat/Job Insecurity
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 30, 2018
This is a very rigid hierarchical environment fought with chronic employment insecurity and a pervasive culture of fear among the rank and file. From executives to entry level individuals people just disappear or "seek other career opportunities" (fired or forced to resign) constantly. Limited full time options. Excellent place to work if you just want to tow the line and not think creatively, collaborate with others, or have independent ideas.

Excellent benefits. Amazing students. And there are some great people really trying to make a difference and change the culture there. I wish them all well.
benefits
Cons
cut throat/culture of fear
An alright place to work
Student employee (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 11, 2017
Depending on if you are student or part time. Part time get benefits like tuition reimbursement.

Students can generally study while working if you are not busy.
Part time support staff
Support Staff/ Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 1, 2017
For a part time student position, it was an excellent place to work. The department I worked in was not too stressful, yet busy. Hours were flexible around classes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
only part time
Not a well oiled machine
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 30, 2017
The department that I work for at LCC has no options for advancement. The management is very cut-throat and political and personal views are openly expressed by management. Workforce retaliation is prevalent.
Pros
compenstation is good
Cons
Extremely POOR management, No chance for advancement, Management Not professional
A great place to help others make their dreams come true
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 18, 2017
A typical day involved meeting with students to explore curriculum for their major, available financial aid, and eligibility. The management was wonderful with a positive, uplifting attitude that encouraged staff to grow. We went out to lunches together and included everyone on staff. The hardest part of the job was sometimes getting everything done. The most enjoyable part of the job was having students stop by and let you know how they were doing and what your help had meant to them.
Pros
Staff lunches
Cons
lack of health insurance
Great place
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 9, 2017
Great place to work and learn. Great salaries and benefits for faculty and staff. Lots of useful majors to choose from and classes to teach.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Main campusAugust 8, 2017
Being an adjunct do not have much opportunity to be involved in the process of its management.
Diversity of students helps to learn about variety of cultures.
Productive and good place to work.
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 27, 2017
Work with students daily. Provide academic counseling and guidance regarding completion and transfer to the university. Students are the most enjoyable part of job. Workplace culture needs to change. Staff have been here since they were students. Diversity needed.
Benefits
Cons
No Professional Development
Great Staff
BLS Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 12, 2017
I enjoy teaching BLS with LCC - very much enjoyed being a student and nursing student. The instructors very much cared about my success! They are always prepared well for student CPR courses.
Pros
Always up to date with latest information
Cons
Great place to work with amazing people.
Supplemental Instructor of Accounting (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 6, 2017
I have worked at LCC for 1.5 years as a tutor. It is a great place to work if you enjoy helping others and working with people. My position as a Supplemental Instructor is to work alongside faculty and working with students to help them succeed in the classroom. I also meet regularly with my fellow co-workers (tutors and other supplemental instructors) for workshops where we share ideas and tips on how to become better at our craft. Everyone is very friendly, supportive and helpful. I would recommend working here if education is something you are interested in pursuing.
Students are given excellent education
Staff (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 4, 2017
Overall I have liked my time at the college. However as the years went by I noticed a shift in the attitude of management. It became an Us vs Them mentality. Its a take it or leave environment now. You aren't treated like a person but a position.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Us vs Them Environment