Larkin Street Youth Services Employee Reviews

Stressful place to work
Community Ambassador (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 19, 2019
Needs to bring more attention to the community they serve. More compassion for their employees. Less degrading and unrealistic expectations. The people who work here should have a mandatory safety training more than an 80's cassette tape that is optional. They need more employees with lived experience to truly accommodate those they are serving.
Cons
HR and the rest of the team doesn't know each other personally face to face.
Lacks structure, poor leadership, and high turnover
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 31, 2019
-Very reactive, no systems are in place which cause hardships with business processes. Simple tasks can become complicated and misguided.
-Unqualified employees are promoted to management roles to cut costs. In turn, the org experiences poor leadership and lackluster vision.
-Dinosaurs. (e.g they still use old fax machines, most employees on average type at the speed of 10 WPM)
-C-level execs make decisions beyond their scope/knowledge. No checks and balances on authority.
-Lacks the ability to retain employees. Employees quit on a bi-weekly basis.
-Org seems to struggle staying afloat, constant budget constraints.
-No innovation. No processes, No systems.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits
Cons
401k match is a joke
Internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 26, 2018
Interning with Larkin Street Youth was a blessing. I was able to build my resume on multiple websites, and use my supervisors phone number searching for jobs before I was able to purchase my own phone.
easy chill
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 12, 2018
this was my first job as 16 year old kid. me and my friends all worked in the same group. Breakfest was provided for free every morning. Chill environment.
Pros
free breakfest easy
Cons
No parking.
andre's review
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2018
productive and a place you can meet new people that are nice and welcoming. you can learn alot of new things at larkin such as dealing knowing how people feel
Productive fun and great way to learn
JRC Program Wire up and The Art Program Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2018
Learn how to work people.
being creative and enjoying you job and making the youth feel more happy and making a differences in people lives. its workplace full of diversity culture.
Wonderful mission
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 22, 2018
There is always a second supervisor involved that you don't know about... If you are hourly there will be no flexibility with your hours even if you are able to do work from home. The staff here are amazing. All working for the same goals.
Cons
No flexibility
Lead Education/Emploment Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 16, 2018
Management is not the best at larkin Street, they are very one sided, causes a very stressful work environment, clients are the best part of the job despite all the other difficulties
i love this job
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2018
This job I have here at Larkin Street has been an amazing experience and I would do this line of work for here on out but for most part I believe you get back what you give out
Beware of Leadership
outreach (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAOctober 2, 2017
Larkin street youth started as a grassroots community based support service for homeless youth- it has moved very far away from that. Larkin Street's new priorities are to expand services rather than to address root causes of homelessness or focus on the quality of care they are providing. This isnt a reflection of all the staff, rather its a reflection of the leadership prioritizing growth over quality, it affects the entire culture of the organization. A few years ago when staff were organizing to unionize, the management took discreet but malevolent actions to block unionizing efforts. Some of the staff here are amazing, the youth are amazing, but beware the demon that larkin street has become.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
leadership, pay, culture
working with youth
Cook (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2017
working with the youth ages form 16 to 23 in ages
showing them how to cook outside and more
cook lunch for 100 or more people
keeping open mind are cook new types of food
productive and fun workplcae
Residental Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 10, 2017
I've leaned a great way of team building working with troubled youth.
the work place culture is very diverse and open.
the hardest part of the job is when youth yell and scream at staff it can be over whelming sometimes.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when the youth accomplish major goals.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
upper staff
I love helping young adolescents whom have battled similar situations and battles that I have fought and survived and lived through
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2017
Well when I first roam and traveled to the great state of California I wanted to be able to assist the young adolescents of San Francisco California and I loved and enjoyed and apreciated every single moment and day of it. It was a blessing and honor
Pros
Excellent care for youth of San Francisco
Cons
Productive and friendly working environment
Youth Force (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 3, 2017
My supervisor was a really nice lady and did her job well. I was not discriminated against there either. The people that I was working with all wanted to help those who needed it.
Pros
Got to laugh and have fun.
Cons
Had to adjust to new people constantly.
Good Job
Youth Advisory Board Member (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 28, 2017
I enjoyed my job at Larkin street and the people were easy to work with and be around. I was a peer advocate and enjoyed sharing with the youth my own expireces
Working Experience
Peer Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Its a really good job experience because you have to work with all different youth which a difficult issues and health.
What I have learned from that experience was how to be a good listener and not to judge them but to help them to make their life happy and that they are not different from anyone else.
The working place is really good, it was professional and every worker was doing their job.
The hardest part of the job was when youth passes away.
The most enjoyable part of the job was Christmas and thanksgiving parties.
Pros
Talking, Good listening, helping hand
Cons
Clients passing away
these managers actually work with you
Trash Collector (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 26, 2017
this place gives work experience
helps you look for a job,
understands life happens
Contributes to city beautification
Graffiti and needle abatement
career building workshops
resume making work shops
days set to apply for other jobs and other help
Cons
so easy its boring
rough place to work but learned lots
Bilingual Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 8, 2016
Tough area to work in. The youth shelter was in the tenderloin district in sf. had a great time though and learned a lot of what it takes to do this type of work.
fantastic place to work
Director of Program Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2015
Great management, culture, and mission. A strong organization with strong values and energy. a place where you can grow, develop and be challenge.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
parking
Nice organization to work for.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 27, 2015
I case manage 35 at risk youth in a transitional living program. I enjoy my work because I'm helping to make a difference in someone life. I work with a great team of people. the hardest part of my job is not being able to hold the youth accountable for their action, because of upper management believing that these youth has been dramatize enough. When a youth get a job, enroll in school, reunite with their family makes all struggles worth while.
Pros
Great Managers
Cons
under staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Larkin Street Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Larkin Street Youth Services Reviews by Location