Larkin Street Youth Services Employee Reviews

Productive fun and great way to learn
JRC Program Wire up and The Art Program Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2018
Learn how to work people.
being creative and enjoying you job and making the youth feel more happy and making a differences in people lives. its workplace full of diversity culture.
Beware of Leadership
outreach (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAOctober 2, 2017
Larkin street youth started as a grassroots community based support service for homeless youth- it has moved very far away from that. Larkin Street's new priorities are to expand services rather than to address root causes of homelessness or focus on the quality of care they are providing. This isnt a reflection of all the staff, rather its a reflection of the leadership prioritizing growth over quality, it affects the entire culture of the organization. A few years ago when staff were organizing to unionize, the management took discreet but malevolent actions to block unionizing efforts. Some of the staff here are amazing, the youth are amazing, but beware the demon that larkin street has become.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
leadership, pay, culture
easy chill
Landscaper/Laborer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 12, 2018
this was my first job as 16 year old kid. me and my friends all worked in the same group. Breakfest was provided for free every morning. Chill environment.
Pros
free breakfest easy
Cons
No parking.
Lead Education/Emploment Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 16, 2018
Management is not the best at larkin Street, they are very one sided, causes a very stressful work environment, clients are the best part of the job despite all the other difficulties
andre's review
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2018
productive and a place you can meet new people that are nice and welcoming. you can learn alot of new things at larkin such as dealing knowing how people feel
Wonderful mission
Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 22, 2018
There is always a second supervisor involved that you don't know about... If you are hourly there will be no flexibility with your hours even if you are able to do work from home. The staff here are amazing. All working for the same goals.
Cons
No flexibility
productive and fun workplcae
Residental Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 10, 2017
I've leaned a great way of team building working with troubled youth.
the work place culture is very diverse and open.
the hardest part of the job is when youth yell and scream at staff it can be over whelming sometimes.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when the youth accomplish major goals.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
upper staff
i love this job
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2018
This job I have here at Larkin Street has been an amazing experience and I would do this line of work for here on out but for most part I believe you get back what you give out
fantastic place to work
Director of Program Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2015
Great management, culture, and mission. A strong organization with strong values and energy. a place where you can grow, develop and be challenge.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
parking
terrible work environment
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  san franciscoAugust 23, 2014
disorganized mess of a non-profit. very high turn over rate is a big part of the problem.the culture of staff vs management is toxic for both employees and clients.
Great dynamic place to work but salaries are low.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2013
I enjoy working at LSYS a great deal. The atmosphere is supportive of deepening one's skills and there is great commitment and passion for the mission of the agency at all levels.
Co-workers are wonderful; dedicated, passionate and supportive. The hardest part of the job is the low salary and the most enjoyable part of the job is that I work for 18-24 year-old's and this age group is quite inspiring and dynamic.
Nice organization to work for.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 27, 2015
I case manage 35 at risk youth in a transitional living program. I enjoy my work because I'm helping to make a difference in someone life. I work with a great team of people. the hardest part of my job is not being able to hold the youth accountable for their action, because of upper management believing that these youth has been dramatize enough. When a youth get a job, enroll in school, reunite with their family makes all struggles worth while.
Pros
Great Managers
Cons
under staff
Fantastic experience working with youth and an experience with upper management that leaves much to be desired
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2012
Awesome co-workers, really fun working with the youth; Huge disconnect between upper management, middle management, lower management and counselors; Highly fragmented, hierarchical management system; Micromanagement.
Pros
generous sick time and vacation time
Cons
upper management and expensive healthcare plans
these managers actually work with you
Trash Collector (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 26, 2017
this place gives work experience
helps you look for a job,
understands life happens
Contributes to city beautification
Graffiti and needle abatement
career building workshops
resume making work shops
days set to apply for other jobs and other help
Cons
so easy its boring
Very relaxed stress free work environment
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  SanFranciscoSeptember 11, 2012
I enjoyed working with the staff and clients
I learned about the seriousnes of at risk teens
Management is very hands on
The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in at risk
teen lifes
Pros
working with at risk youth, giving back to the community
Cons
not enuf hours
Working Experience
Peer Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Its a really good job experience because you have to work with all different youth which a difficult issues and health.
What I have learned from that experience was how to be a good listener and not to judge them but to help them to make their life happy and that they are not different from anyone else.
The working place is really good, it was professional and every worker was doing their job.
The hardest part of the job was when youth passes away.
The most enjoyable part of the job was Christmas and thanksgiving parties.
Pros
Talking, Good listening, helping hand
Cons
Clients passing away
A place with adequate space for the employess and the clients to engage and create a safe work space for everyone involved.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work is about the clients. Engaging and finding out how we can better serve the consumer. Making sure that the clients have a safe space to make a better change in their lives. Some of the consumers are high functioning and are able to do daily activities with ease. The lower functioning consumers the counselor helps with a plan of action to help the consumer reach daily activities and goals.
Pros
Staff meetings with personal check in for the employee, understanding of the employees situations.
Cons
sometimes can be short staffed.
working with youth
Cook (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2017
working with the youth ages form 16 to 23 in ages
showing them how to cook outside and more
cook lunch for 100 or more people
keeping open mind are cook new types of food
Great Mission Poor Execution
Special Events Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 9, 2015
Management is out of touch, disorganized and overly demanding with no real direction. Work, life balance is not considered. Talked about, but NEVER executed.
I love helping young adolescents whom have battled similar situations and battles that I have fought and survived and lived through
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2017
Well when I first roam and traveled to the great state of California I wanted to be able to assist the young adolescents of San Francisco California and I loved and enjoyed and apreciated every single moment and day of it. It was a blessing and honor
Pros
Excellent care for youth of San Francisco
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Larkin Street Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about